Identified! AL - Bibb Co, WhtMal UP13483, 14-17, MVA/hitchhiker, tattoo: RY + LOVE Mar'61 - Daniel Armantrout

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
There was also a place called The Sherriffs Boys Ranch in Live Oak Florida which sits right between Tallahassee and Jacksonville. He could of also come from there and just never reported missing from that facility.

Below is a link to their magazine and this issue tells you a lot of in formation and has photos Of the Ranch and the boys.

https://www.flsheriffs.org/uploads/star/THE_SHERIFFS_STAR_VOL_13,_NO_1,_MARCH_1969.pdf

I was Just now going through some back issues and I came across this kid Robert J Landsdale published in the magazine and he went missing January 4 1961. I don't know if he ever was found but I just thought I would post him since his first name starts w a R and he was missing not long before this UID was found.
Anyway Iam posting the link as well as the ad w his photo below.

https://www.flsheriffs.org/uploads/star/THE_SHERIFFS_STAR_VOL_4,_NO_12,_FEBRUARY_1961.pdf
I grew up near the Boys Ranch! Always saw it as a very positive place for troubled youth. The Boys Ranch is a place basically where juvenile delinquents learn how to run a Ranch and learn leadership skills there. In fact I knew Roger Bouchard who was the president of the Ranch for a long time. Him and his wife went to the church I was going to in Live Oak and were great people. Also knew Rev. Donald DeSantis, who was the chaplain and also arranged my late friend’s funeral.

I also knew a handful of the youth that went to the Boys Ranch. Some went to school on the Ranch and some went to public schools like Suwannee Middle and Suwannee High School, where I went.

I’m wondering how the system was in the 60s though...the conditions. I remember the friend I just talked about used to have a book on the history of the Boys Ranch (he was a devout volunteer there) and I recall celebrities used to visit there because it had originally been started by a friend of Elvis Presley and wrestler Eddie Graham and had been supported by the Florida Sheriffs. But I’ve never really heard anything bad about the Ranch.

I grew up near the Boys Ranch! Always saw it as a very positive place for troubled youth. The Boys Ranch is a place basically where juvenile delinquents learn how to run a Ranch and learn leadership skills there. In fact I knew Roger Bouchard who was the president of the Ranch for a long time. Him and his wife went to the church I was going to in Live Oak and were great people. Also knew Rev. Donald DeSantis, who was the chaplain and also arranged my late friend’s funeral.

I also knew a handful of the youth that went to the Boys Ranch. Some went to school on the Ranch and some went to public schools like Suwannee Middle and Suwannee High School, where I went.

I’m wondering how the system was in the 60s though...the conditions. I remember the friend I just talked about used to have a book on the history of the Boys Ranch (he was a devout volunteer there) and I recall celebrities used to visit there because it had originally been started by a friend of Elvis Presley and wrestler Eddie Graham and had been supported by the Florida Sheriffs. But I’ve never really heard anything bad about the Ranch.

Oh wow that is really interesting!

I just came across this tonight.. Thinking this UID had a girlfriend..above the boy that is missing David Norley is said to have had a girlfriend.. I wonder what her name was.

Count Every Mystery: March 27, 1961 Bibb County, Alabama John Doe

March 27, 1961 Bibb County, Alabama John Doe

Postmortem Photo of Doe Published in News Paper.

On March 27, 1961 A man traveling through River Bend, Alabama picked up a teenage hitchhiker on Highway 25 south of Wilton. The boy had told the man that he had ran away from home after his parents split. The boy also said he was heading west to San Diego. The boy didn't say anything else as they soon got into a wreck.

The vehicle they were in hit the bridge rail and plunged them into the Cahaba River. The driver swam to safety, but the boy lost his life. Several hours later his body was recovered from the car.

The John Doe was a Caucasian male believed to be between 14 and 17 years old. He had light brown hair, he may have bleached his hair for it to be a lighter brown. His eyebrows and eyelashes were dark brown. He was around 5'6 and around 120 lbs. He may have walked with a limp. He had a self inflicted tattoo (possibly on left arm) with R.Y. +Love, some of the news papers reported that it was R + K+ Love or R.K. Love. There is is possibly a 4 inch scar on his right ankle and a half inch crescent scar on his upper right forehead.

He had a Timex watch, a carrying bag with several shirts, and pants, a brown plastic wallet, and a pack of Mall Palls with South Carolina tax stamp. Some news papers at the time reported that there was also a blurred photo of a boy and girl with the inscription " Think of me always and remember how we used to go places together."
Fingerprints are available, but DNA and Dentals are not.

Other Images:

:eek:
This link has a lot more information on pages 17 and 18, including clearer post-mortem pics and a pic of the 'tattoo' on his arm. It definitely says "RY + LOVE" and looks more like scratch marks to me.

OMG PropaneYeeter omg what a super great find!!.:D:D Where did you come up with this FBI Bulletin..? I love love them! Are they only for Alabama? Or do you know of other states have them.. and are there more?

Years ago I found the Sheriffs Star from Florida... (I became obsessed reading through them all) .. there were many wanted and missing people in the issues. They are really interesting to read. I got lost in them for a while.

I believe I posted one of them on this thread a while back with info about a missing boy. This Bulletin seems like it’s the same type of thing. Thanks for posting this..!!

And yes it’s amazing to finally see the makeshift tattoo on his arm! Def Not a tattoo but looks like it’s Cutting or Carving with razor blade or knife of some sort. Def not tattoo. Thank you! .. oooh I have not been so excited about a find in a while ha!..

Honestly I love to clearly see the photo of the arm since one of the articles made mention of the letters R and K not R and Y..

Ok for the record.. I just realized how many issues this FBI bulletin has:eek::eek:... Omg I will never be seen again ha!

Last edited:
This link has a lot more information on pages 17 and 18, including clearer post-mortem pics and a pic of the 'tattoo' on his arm. It definitely says "RY + LOVE" and looks more like scratch marks to me.

Wow! This is a great find! The best photos of this case to date, which means NCMEC didn’t even come close to the recon. They should reconsider redoing the forensic reconstruction on this doe. Especially if their basis may have been the newspaper photo.

I
My first thought was that it was the initials of the person he was in love with.

Oh I had not thought of that. Yes it could be the girl in the photos initials. I still wish there was a photograph of that photo.

my thoughts that it was his first initial and then her first initial. But both initials could just be hers.. that is true.

OMG PropaneYeeter omg what a super great find!!.:D:D Where did you come up with this FBI Bulletin..? I love love them! Are they only for Alabama? Or do you know of other states have them.. and are there more?
Truthfully, I found this linked in the sources of his Unidentified Wiki page! I shouldn't be credited with the initial discovery.

If you search Welcome to the LEB website — LEB for "FBI Law Enforcement Bulletin" you can find more of the bulletins as PDF files.

The article mentions that he said he had to be in Ft. Old by March 30 and that he might have a military connection. That sounds to me like he had enlisted and was due to report for basic training on that date.
In the pictures, he looks very young. Too young to enlist in the military, I'd say.

In the pictures, he looks very young. Too young to enlist in the military, I'd say.

Top age estimated at 17--you can enlist at that age if you either finished high school or got GED. I think there might have been other exceptions in the 1960s as well; I knew guys who dropped out when they turned 16 (legal age to drop out at the time) and joined the army shortly after.

I'm not sure why else he would have a deadline to get to Fort Ord.

I found an old report of 3 teenagers that dissapeared in 1959, all 3 fit the description and sketch of this JD, they were apparently heading from New York or New Jersey to Florida (possibly) but I can't find anything on Google about them, I'm sure if they were still missing there would be Google hits on their names?

Post mortem pic and photos of the 3 boys (names removed just in case)

Attachments

• Bibb.png
    Bibb.png
    108.3 KB · Views: 79
  • 20200421_214115.jpg
    20200421_214115.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 111
  • 20200421_214139.jpg
    20200421_214139.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 84
Post mortem pic and photos of the 3 boys (names removed just in case)

The last guy in the photo looks similar to the John Doe! But how old was he when he left with his friends in 1959? He really does look similar. Good find. Where did you find that?

The last guy in the photo looks similar to the John Doe! But how old was he when he left with his friends? 1959 seems a bit of a stretch if he was older. That’s over 10 years.. but he does look similar!

10 years? It was less than 2 years , 1959/1961. He was 17 I think. He's the younger brother of the male in the first photo.

10 years? It was less than 2 years , 1959/1961. He was 17 I think. He's the younger brother of the male in the first photo.
Sorry I just edited my post. I was thinking 1971 for some crazy reason and realized duh 1961. Brainfart

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mjinmidwest
Back