AL AL - Brittney Wood, 19, Mobile, 31 May 2012 - #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This just went up on Brittney's support group on Facebook. (Hometown) Steph is quoted.

Light the Way Home: Hope still burns for the missing

bilde

http://cmsimg.pensacolanewsjournal....tNo=311240802&Ref=PH&Item=2&Maxw=640&Maxh=410

Glad to see you popin, Steph. Hope you can tell us more soon, love & hugs from all of us here.

Or written on jail stationery after release, I've been thinking. How does a tablet of lined paper work when you're in lockup? Do you pay for it out of the commissary, is it complimentary, do you take it when you get released?

I believe stationary is usually not complementary, but rather is purchased through the commissary. I didn't check for all of the possible jails involved, but for at least Mobile County, stationary must be purchased, according to the the handbook for prisoners.
http://www.mobileso.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/INMATE.pdf
As for whether it may be taken with them upon release, I am not positive and didn't find anything specific in the handbook. However, I do not think the jail could confiscate that property upon release if it was purchased by the inmate rather than provided as a complimentary item.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Contrary to popular belief, the DNA of identical twins are not actually identical. Throughout our lives, our DNA undergoes changes, both from random mutations and from the addition/removal of epigenetic marks. So while the DNA of identical twins would originally have been identical at time the zygote split, it is unlikely that the same DNA changes would occur in both twins over the course of their lives.

However, testing which would show these small differences between the DNA of identical twins is much more expensive than the traditional testing used by investigators - usually, prohibitively so.

Excellent first post! Thats my something new learned today from WS.
Welcome :)

Does anyone know if Alabama has mandatory DNA testing as part of criminal charges pre-conviction process when its a sex crime? I recall something like that in Louisiana law when Mickey Shunick's killer was arrested.

I believe stationary is usually not complementary, but rather is purchased through the commissary. I didn't check for all of the possible jails involved, but for at least Mobile County, stationary must be purchased, according to the the handbook for prisoners.
http://www.mobileso.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/INMATE.pdf
As for whether it may be taken with them upon release, I am not positive and didn't find anything specific in the handbook. However, I do not think the jail could confiscate that property upon release if it was purchased by the inmate rather than provided as a complimentary item.

:wagon: Thanks for your post and for joining us in Britt's thread! :wave:

Excellent first post! Thats my something new learned today from WS.
Welcome :)

Does anyone know if Alabama has mandatory DNA testing as part of criminal charges pre-conviction process when its a sex crime? I recall something like that in Louisiana law when Mickey Shunick's killer was arrested.

Thank you! I've been a long-time lurker, eventually signed up and still only lurked, and finally figured it was time to contribute!

As for mandatory testing, yes. I believe that arrest for any sex offense and/or felony offense invokes mandatory DNA testing in Alabama. Alabama Code § 36-18-25

Thank you! I've been a long-time lurker, eventually signed up and still only lurked, and finally figured it was time to contribute!

As for mandatory testing, yes. I believe that arrest for any sex offense and/or felony offense invokes mandatory DNA testing in Alabama. Alabama Code § 36-18-25

With all due respect, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but I read the statute as authorizing collection of DNA upon convictions, not arrests. I may very well be reading it wrong. Can you point me to the portion that allows it for arrests as opposed to convictions? TIA and TY for your thoughts all the way around. Welcome.

With all due respect, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but I read the statute as authorizing collection of DNA upon convictions, not arrests. I may very well be reading it wrong. Can you point me to the portion that allows it for arrests as opposed to convictions? TIA and TY for your thoughts all the way around. Welcome.

Read (a) carefully, slowly & several times. I did, too. I think that says upon investigation in any case that would involve other biological samples being taken, and in these kind of crimes, specimens would have been taken to substantiate the crimes committed.(?)

The director is hereby authorized and empowered to create and establish a DNA database for the purposes of:

(a) Assisting federal, state, county, municipal, or local criminal justice and law enforcement officers or agencies in the putative identification, detection, or exclusion of persons who are the subjects of investigations or prosecutions of sex related crimes, other violent crimes or other crimes in which biological evidence is received or recovered.

So DNA would only be mandatory if other DNA evidence exists. Perhaps not the case here, but I'm lost again. The most recent arrest of RSW was for a recent event where he lured the victim? That one may have the biological evidence and I hope that means the twins markers are on file & in process of being uniquely identified.

Read (a) carefully, slowly & several times. I did, too. I think that says upon investigation in any case that would involve other biological samples being taken, and in these kind of crimes, specimens would have been taken to substantiate the crimes committed.(?)

So DNA would only be mandatory if other DNA evidence exists. Perhaps not the case here, but I'm lost again. The most recent arrest of RSW was for a recent event where he lured the victim? That one may have the biological evidence and I hope that means the twins markers are on file & in process of being uniquely identified.

Yeah, I can see how it can be read that way. Thanks.

Darn it, my sincere apologies! I listed the correct section number (36-18-25), but I had been flipping back and forth between 24 and 25 and ended up linking the wrong URL. Here is a corrected link for Section 36-18-25.

The relevant subsection is (c)(1), which reads:

"(c)(1) All persons arrested for any felony offense on or after October 1, 2010, or for any sexual offense including, but not limited to, those that would require registration pursuant to the Community Notification Act, Article 2, commencing with Section 15-20-20, of Chapter 20, Title 15, on or after October 1, 2010, shall have a DNA sample drawn or taken, as specified by the director, at the same time he or she is fingerprinted pursuant to the booking procedure or at the time of arrest."

Hopefully that clears up the confusion!

Brittney Wood's aunts denied bond reduction in ongoing sex abuse case, likely to remain in jail

http://blog.al.com/live/2013/11/brittney_woods_aunts_denied_bo.html#incart_river_default

:(

From that same article …

"In the meantime, officials have been gathering more evidence which points further to the defendants' guilt, she said, including testimony from three children and corroboration from others.

"As more and more evidence comes in to police officers, which happens daily," more charges are possible, Patterson said.""

Mendy and Wendy's lawyers' argument for lowering their bond is that they're destitute. One reason the court can use for not lowering their bond is to ensure the safety of the public. Since it appears that their violation of children has been going on for many years, it would stand to reason that the molestation of children may be repeated if they're released. As the saying goes, "old habits die hard".

I think it's a flipping cheek that Wendy even dared ask for her bond to be lowered, after the court heard how she tried to contact a victim and threatened a carer before.

Can you imagine taking care of and trying to reassure a traumatized child, and then having to deal with WWH lurking about? And the poor victim, who might be feeling so conflicted and even guilty.

Do you know, with the mention of adult victims too - I think there is a possibility Derek will be called to give evidence as a victim as well as facing charges. Is that even possible? I can't helping remembering he stated abuse began when he was seven years old. I feeling compassion for that seven year old - I keep remembering something I saw on social media from a neighbour who knew Derek and Brittney as a child. I hope, if he knew anything about her disappearance, he would have said. I think they were close.

Does anyone know what happens when Brittney's last known travels/pings are transposed over that map in the latest news article? It could be interesting, but I can't work out how to do it.

I don't think that her life was in danger because she wrote the letter. I think she wrote the letter because she knew her life was in danger. RSW knew the poop was about to hit the fan, and in some effort to save himself, reported it. Maybe he even thought if he reported only specific things about specific people, then the investigation would be on those things alone, and not so widespread, sparing some people. Its funny the first two arrested were not his blood family. I think he ratted on them, and them alone.

He wanted to spare his sisters IMO. Which certainly gives a lot of credence to him being the author of that letter, also IMO.

It just makes me wonder what happened back in February of 2012 to make him panic so that he reported it. Was he caught up in some other investigation? Or did he literally go in voluntarily with it? If he did go to police completely with information all by his own decision, what was happening in that family to make him think it was all about to explode, and therefore try to save himself and probably his sisters? Could Brittney have anything to do with that?

The detectives said in one of those interviews that Donnie KNEW he was looking for Brittney.

That is what I've been wondering about also.

(1) Did Scott report the abuse which started the whole investigation, OR
(2) Did Scott "voluntarily" go to the police station to be interviewed about the abuse.

See the difference? #2 could mean that the police had been given Scott's name by the victim, and he voluntarily went in for a police interview at their request instead of them seeking him out to come to his home to do the interview. Which would make it seem "in a sense" that he was being cooperative in the investigation.

I hate trying to read between lines of what reporters write. I am ready to have some answers and to read those stupid letters that I strained my eyes trying to read this weekend. Plus...this case is so confusing that I find myself forgetting little things and getting even more confused.

If the gun was Brittney's (per Chessie) and if Brittney only had 2 bullets for it (per Chessie) and if one is to believe Brittney carried it for protection, would she not feel the need to buy more ammo? I certainly would not feel safe with only 2 bullets in a weapon I am carrying with or without a CHL/CCL. It has never been established how long before Donnie's death, Brittney supposedly acquired the gun.
I realize ammunition is expensive & Brittney did not have a steady income, but in a life/death situation, if these details are indeed the truth...she wrote a letter in case someone did something to her, she acquired a gun, she did not acquire more bullets? Doesn't make sense.

I agree with all your comments, Hatfield.

Chessie said that Brittney only had 2 bullets in her gun.

Well...I have never even thought to ask anyone who was carrying a gun how many bullets they had in it. Furthermore...if I was carrying a gun for protection (from jealous boyfriends or because of drugs) I would never tell anyone how many bullets I had.

Chessie sure was stuck on the 2 bullet story though. Why make such a big deal out of 2 bullets? Or was that just added info to make her story believable...as in liars always seem to add extra details.

Yes...I couldn't believe how much they looked alike in their mugshots!

I am so happy they didn't get lower bonds! I know I read earlier that one reason for the lower bonds was so they could take care of their mother. Doesn't that mother live with Chessie? I read that story on Fox 10 when I was at work, but I can't find that same story now. I'll provide the link if I can find it.

Anyways...they both have "beaty" eyes!

Donnie supposedly shot himself on the morning that he was suppose to go to the police station where he expected to be arrested. Why in the world would he drive himself in the only family vehicle to the police station if he did not expect to even leave the police station??? Was Jennifer going to drop Wendy by the police station to pick up the family vehicle later?

And, Wendy and Jennifer go shopping/errand running while Donnie was to go to the police station? Shouldn't Wendy have been too stressed (and too indigent according to bond plea) to go shopping/run errands?

All lies if you ask me!:banghead:

Beaty eyes??? is that 'dead' eyes?

I still think Wendy is having to try really hard not to smirk in that photo. I'm convinced her attorney saw those news videos of her smirking and laughing and practically had a cardiac arrest. I'm wondering if she will be allowed to go on the stand. I think Mendy's attorney will want her to though, as she'll come over better than Wendy.

The twins may have stuck together, but their lawyers won't. :) It will be interesting to see if attorneys open up a rift between the twins.

Are there going to be any more arrests before Thanksgiving? You know how we've heard about their family holidays where they do more than carve up the turkey. Imagine, passing round their children like most families pass around the mashed potatoes. Praying all the children are safe from now on.

Beaty eyes??? is that 'dead' eyes?

I still think Wendy is having to try really hard not to smirk in that photo. I'm convinced her attorney saw those news videos of her smirking and laughing and practically had a cardiac arrest. I'm wondering if she will be allowed to go on the stand. I think Mendy's attorney will want her to though, as she'll come over better than Wendy.

The twins may have stuck together, but their lawyers won't. :) It will be interesting to see if attorneys open up a rift between the twins.
I'd say dead eyes is a very good way to describe them. Would the twins have any contact while in jail? Is Mendy able to write Dustin? Do the male perps have contact in jail? Or do they keep them all separated since involved in the same crimes? (That would be a lot of cells.) Sheesh...they could almost celebrate Thanksgiving in there with all the family members/friends in one place.

I am light years behind you all...

but just heard about the letters...

:gasp:

am jumping in to save my spot on this :rollercoaster:

:seeya:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors