AL AL - Brittney Wood, 19, Mobile, 31 May 2012 - # 3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Zeaux - Has law enforcement explained in any detail to the family why they believe that BW is missing by her own choice?

I just can't wrap my head around the fact that her cell phone hasn't been used in all this time and that no one (friends or family) have heard from her and law enforcement doesn't think that she's missing. If no one has talked to her and law enforcement can't reach her, or track her movements, then how do they know that she's not missing. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Those are the kinds of questions the family has asked Mobile PD. I think it's because she's a drug user, personally. If she was a college student with a sterling reputation, I think they'd consider her missing and search for her. I understand that, to some extent, but I also think there are extenuating circumstances in this case. Remove the 3 uncles from the equation and there might be no reason to think she met foul play. But we can't remove that. How Mobile LE can is beyond me.

I want to hit on a couple of things that have been bouncing around...

Custody of PH
It is true that custody was legally granted to AH not long ago, but it's not as though PH was pulled from BW's arms. And BW still saw PH regularly and was in close contact with AH. This arrangement worked for BW. It was not a "last straw" situation.

BW's Cell Phone
It was initially reported by LE to the family that the phone last pinged at Styx River. However, after a week or so, LE corrected that information and advised the family that her phone pinged last at Grand Bay. That is the last time her phone pinged. The statements made about her phone being turned on six days later were erroneous. When the phone was called, it didn't go directly to voicemail, so the family thought it had been turned on. The phone carrier explained to them that it had to do with the phone service and confirmed it had not been turned on.

DH's Gun
He used a 25, shot himself in the mouth. As hard as this is going to be to believe, I have been told DH did not own a gun.

Thanks!
Wow Zeaux thanks for your input! A few days ago I remember reading that BW had (or may have had) a pre-paid phone. If this is the case, then it would be easy for her to simply stop using the phone that was pinged and purchase a new pre-paid phone. THis is of course, if it is true that she just doesn't want to be found ( which I hope is the case!)

Info regarding the .25 sheds new light for several reasons!:
Your explanation of the gun makes it more clear as to why he used a .25 as opposed to something like a 9 or .38. If this was the only weapon he had access to and if he was unfortunately determined to end things, then he would use the .25, despite knowing there was a risk of being critically wounded instead of fatally wounded.

This leads to interesting points:

*MWH had to be near by and find him right after the incident, as if she did not he would have died of blood loss relatively quickly. A .25 might not be a .9 but it is still a powerful gun and will kill. I'm not trying to be graphic and I hope I don't upset anyone by saying this, but if a bullet does not fatally wound on contact, then it will due to blood loss. If one survives this type of gun shot wound it is because medical assistance was received asap. With that said, did MWH hear the shot and felt there was a reason to be alarmed? If they live in a less populated area then hearing a gunshot is not too uncommon. If this is the case then it leads me to believe that MWH knew DH was at risk of suicide...but why? No one else seems to know why he was so upset to the point that he ended his life ... unless they don't want to it disclose to the media because it is a personal family matter, which is understandable...but from an outsiders perspective it seems like no one has any ideas for his motive. Is there a possibility that the reason for his action was because of BW and that the people who found him knew this and is why they claim he had no reason (financial,etc) to make such a devastating choice? I know suicide is a very terrible, personal and complicated thing, So as you read this please know that I am proposing my thoughts with sensitivity and respect (to all victims of suicide)

*The second question I have concerning the gun is WHO'S WAS IT? If he did not own any guns does that mean no guns were in his household (such as any owned by MWH) or does that mean he PERSONALLY didn't own any? I assume it means none were in the household, but I could be incorrect.

*KNowing the ownership of the gun is significant for several reasons. First off, .25 are very popular for self defense. Many people own these guns for this purpose ESPECIALLY WOMEN!! Does anyone know if BW owned a 25? She is 19 and has no felony record so this would have been easy for her to purchase. Furthermore, does anyone know if she had a Concealed Weapons Permit (in any state)? If so she more than likely carried a gun, but if not she may have still owned a gun, as one does not need a permit to keep a gun in their house. Most people I know with .25 are women and their main purpose for owning it is self defense (such as if they drive through high crime areas on the way to work, single mothers, women who live alone, etc...or basically just because it makes the feel safer in general). This very reason is why I am alarmed that he used a .25 that he did not own. SInce he did not use his gun does LE know who's gun it was and have they released this information? Even if BW had a gun a larger person could have over powered her and obtained it, or they knew she had one and was prepared, or she was in an altered state of mind and they confiscated it during that time (these are all only relevant if she did in fact have a gun on her)

*Additionally, how does LE know a 25 was used?...Did they actually find the gun on the scene or was the gun not present and they know it was a 25 because of the bullet? If the gun was not present when LE arrived and MWH discovered her husband do they know what she did with the gun? If DH used a 25 in the manner described, then he could not have possibly been conscience and gotten rid of the gun. If the gun was discarded when LE arrived then what was the motivation behind removing it?

*I also find it somewhat odd that DH did not own any guns. I don't know him or his family personally and I am not trying to sound demeaning, but as someone born and raised not too far from there in N FL, (and I am now in ALabama!) I find it unusual that he does not own one. If you are from this area, then I am sure you will agree. It has been my personal experience that many people, especially men, in this region (and especially rural areas) legally own guns, (mainly hunting rifles). I might be reading into this too much, but why did DH not own any guns? Was it because he perhaps had a history of suicidal tendencies? Or was it because of something else such as violent tendencies towards others and therefore choose not have weapons readily available? Or did something in his past restrict him from his 2nd amendment rights? In Alabama gun rights are restricted from convicted felons, people convicted of violence, known alcoholics and know drug users Gun laws in Alabama - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

These are just the immediate thoughts I had when I read he did not own the gun. Of course they could all be incorrect, however it is very significant that he did not own the gun. I would say I am surprised the police did not address this, however with the lack of information available I am unfortunately not surprised at all.

Zeaux....is there a local printing company (like Kinkos..etc) there locally that someone could talk to about getting 1 or 2 donated car magnets. You know the ones people put on their car for business and advertisement.They could have BWs flyer printed on it. I know alot of people are having to go back to work and feel helpless not being out there searching and maybe it would make them feel better to atleast know on their commute to and from work or where ever that they were making BWs flyer be seen by everyone they pass on the road!!

This is a .25 caliber hand gun. Supposedly a similar gun was fired point blank under Donnie's chin exiting out his right temple. He wasn't shot from a distance where the bullet might bounce around. It was a clean in and out wound.

There wouldn't be a great blood loss, it's an isolated head wound. Donnie lived for days after he shot himself, only dying when his family decided to "pull the plug." :waitasec:

One would assume the gun was at his side in the truck or LE is remiss.

This is a .25 caliber hand gun. Supposedly a similar gun was fired point blank under Donnie's chin exiting out his right temple. He wasn't shot from a distance where the bullet might bounce around. It was a clean in and out wound.

There wouldn't be a great blood loss, it's an isolated head wound. Donnie lived for days after he shot himself, only dying when his family decided to "pull the plug." :waitasec:

One would assume the gun was at his side in the truck or LE is remiss.

Agreed...there would most definitely be more investigating if they hadnt found the gun. I am also sure they ran the gun for registration and all. I know we get frustrated and feel like LE arent doing enough....but I am sure they did the basics :) Also as far as him not having a gun...odd...but definitely could happen. Not all women will allow their husbands to have them if there are children in the house or maybe he had some at some point and possibly had to sell for financial reasons. JMO

Those are the kinds of questions the family has asked Mobile PD. I think it's because she's a drug user, personally. If she was a college student with a sterling reputation, I think they'd consider her missing and search for her. I understand that, to some extent, but I also think there are extenuating circumstances in this case. Remove the 3 uncles from the equation and there might be no reason to think she met foul play. But we can't remove that. How Mobile LE can is beyond me.

Sadly, I think you may be correct about the reason why LE appears not to be concerned about searching for Brittney. This puts me in mind of Robert Pickton the serial killer in British Columbia. He killed dozens of women over a number of years, but they were mainly drug addicts and prostitutes, so no one in LE took it seriously when family members and friends notified them of their missing loved ones. They just told them more or less the same thing, that the girls had probably just moved on. They took lot of heat from that, after the truth came to light, and rightfully so.

I sincerely hope that in Brittney’s case, that LE are doing more behind the scenes than they appear to be. Young girls don’t just vanish off the face of the earth. Something has happened to her

Wow Zeaux thanks for your input! A few days ago I remember reading that BW had (or may have had) a pre-paid phone. If this is the case, then it would be easy for her to simply stop using the phone that was pinged and purchase a new pre-paid phone. THis is of course, if it is true that she just doesn't want to be found ( which I hope is the case!)

Info regarding the .25 sheds new light for several reasons!:
Your explanation of the gun makes it more clear as to why he used a .25 as opposed to something like a 9 or .38. If this was the only weapon he had access to and if he was unfortunately determined to end things, then he would use the .25, despite knowing there was a risk of being critically wounded instead of fatally wounded.

This leads to interesting points:

*MWH had to be near by and find him right after the incident, as if she did not he would have died of blood loss relatively quickly. A .25 might not be a .9 but it is still a powerful gun and will kill. I'm not trying to be graphic and I hope I don't upset anyone by saying this, but if a bullet does not fatally wound on contact, then it will due to blood loss. If one survives this type of gun shot wound it is because medical assistance was received asap. With that said, did MWH hear the shot and felt there was a reason to be alarmed? If they live in a less populated area then hearing a gunshot is not too uncommon. If this is the case then it leads me to believe that MWH knew DH was at risk of suicide...but why? No one else seems to know why he was so upset to the point that he ended his life ... unless they don't want to it disclose to the media because it is a personal family matter, which is understandable...but from an outsiders perspective it seems like no one has any ideas for his motive. Is there a possibility that the reason for his action was because of BW and that the people who found him knew this and is why they claim he had no reason (financial,etc) to make such a devastating choice? I know suicide is a very terrible, personal and complicated thing, So as you read this please know that I am proposing my thoughts with sensitivity and respect (to all victims of suicide)

*The second question I have concerning the gun is WHO'S WAS IT? If he did not own any guns does that mean no guns were in his household (such as any owned by MWH) or does that mean he PERSONALLY didn't own any? I assume it means none were in the household, but I could be incorrect.

*KNowing the ownership of the gun is significant for several reasons. First off, .25 are very popular for self defense. Many people own these guns for this purpose ESPECIALLY WOMEN!! Does anyone know if BW owned a 25? She is 19 and has no felony record so this would have been easy for her to purchase. Furthermore, does anyone know if she had a Concealed Weapons Permit (in any state)? If so she more than likely carried a gun, but if not she may have still owned a gun, as one does not need a permit to keep a gun in their house. Most people I know with .25 are women and their main purpose for owning it is self defense (such as if they drive through high crime areas on the way to work, single mothers, women who live alone, etc...or basically just because it makes the feel safer in general). This very reason is why I am alarmed that he used a .25 that he did not own. SInce he did not use his gun does LE know who's gun it was and have they released this information? Even if BW had a gun a larger person could have over powered her and obtained it, or they knew she had one and was prepared, or she was in an altered state of mind and they confiscated it during that time (these are all only relevant if she did in fact have a gun on her)

*Additionally, how does LE know a 25 was used?...Did they actually find the gun on the scene or was the gun not present and they know it was a 25 because of the bullet? If the gun was not present when LE arrived and MWH discovered her husband do they know what she did with the gun? If DH used a 25 in the manner described, then he could not have possibly been conscience and gotten rid of the gun. If the gun was discarded when LE arrived then what was the motivation behind removing it?

*I also find it somewhat odd that DH did not own any guns. I don't know him or his family personally and I am not trying to sound demeaning, but as someone born and raised not too far from there in N FL, (and I am now in ALabama!) I find it unusual that he does not own one. If you are from this area, then I am sure you will agree. It has been my personal experience that many people, especially men, in this region (and especially rural areas) legally own guns, (mainly hunting rifles). I might be reading into this too much, but why did DH not own any guns? Was it because he perhaps had a history of suicidal tendencies? Or was it because of something else such as violent tendencies towards others and therefore choose not have weapons readily available? Or did something in his past restrict him from his 2nd amendment rights? In Alabama gun rights are restricted from convicted felons, people convicted of violence, known alcoholics and know drug users Gun laws in Alabama - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

These are just the immediate thoughts I had when I read he did not own the gun. Of course they could all be incorrect, however it is very significant that he did not own the gun. I would say I am surprised the police did not address this, however with the lack of information available I am unfortunately not surprised at all.

Do you mean WWH? Instead of MWH?

Parts of the original quotes are snipped by me for space.

BW didn't have a cheap, pre-paid phone. She had been on a phone plan and had recently purchased a pre-paid sim card for that phone. Her phone had internet capability. It wasn't a throwaway phone.

I don't have the answer to this. Sorry.

I know where the family believes her obtained the gun, but I'm not allowed to discuss it here. LE is aware of what type of gun it was. IIRC, they did retain the gun from the scene.

I did not personally know DH, so my knowledge of him is limited to what I've been told. Due to his recent death, there are some things that are just not appropriate to ask his family.

Hi everyone..Been a long time since I have posted but just wanted to say thank you to all on this forum. You are all such caring and compassionate ppl and you give a 110% with all your heart. If anything ever happens to me or my family or friends I would love to have you all looking for me...lol

Anyway, it sure has slowed down ..I have even caught up reading. I hope this is just the calm before the storm and that maybe something big is about to happen.

On a good note I see that the traffic has picked up on BW's facebook pg. I left a note there last night suggesting they also get in touch w/ TES and Tim Miller. A;so suggested they look at WS front page for direction on what to do if a loved one goes missing. This family seems like good ppl... just don't know which way to go... Oh well i will stop for now ..but you all keep up the good work. I am sure there is a special place for all of you in Heaven....sweets

I was Googling around and came across a listing of news stories about Brittney. It provides a nice run-down of what we have been told about her in the news. This would be good info. for anyone who is just now beginning to follow Brittney's case and who want to "get up to speed" about what has occurred. These are the actual news reports, not just someone's retellings or opinions.

I hope it's o.k. to share the link. If not, can a mod please delete?

http://nataleehome.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=adults&action=display&thread=3666

Agreed...there would most definitely be more investigating if they hadnt found the gun. I am also sure they ran the gun for registration and all. I know we get frustrated and feel like LE arent doing enough....but I am sure they did the basics :) Also as far as him not having a gun...odd...but definitely could happen. Not all women will allow their husbands to have them if there are children in the house or maybe he had some at some point and possibly had to sell for financial reasons. JMO

Yes, but he wasn't living with Wendy. He was banned from living with her and the children because of the sexual abuse investigation and was somehow living alone at the yellow house down by Styx river. This is where Brittney's phone last pinged. The first searches were also based there. Someone posted there was a registered sex offender living in the same area. Not good.

The morning he shot himself, Wendy picked him up at the river house and gave him a ride to her house near Fairhope. It's near there that he shot himself.

Please correct if I have the details wrong. It's all so confusing. :waitasec:

Yes, but he wasn't living with Wendy. He was banned from living with her and the children and was somehow living alone at a rented trailer down by Styx river where Brittney's phone last pinged. The first searches were based there. Someone posted there was a registered sex offender living at the same trailer park.

The morning he shot himself, Wendy picked him up at the trailer and gave him a ride to her house near Fairhope. It's there that he shot himself.

I am a little confused here too. If he was banned from living with them, why was she giving him a ride to her house? And if he was shot in a vehicle, his vehicle?, why did he need a ride?

Yes, but he wasn't living with Wendy. He was banned from living with her and the children because of the sexual abuse investigation and was somehow living alone at a rented trailer down by Styx river. This is where Brittney's phone last pinged. The first searches were also based there. Someone posted there was a registered sex offender living at the same trailer park. Not good.

The morning he shot himself, Wendy picked him up at the trailer and gave him a ride to her house near Fairhope. It's near there that he shot himself.

I'm not sure of it being a rented trailer. I thought it was a house, the yellow house with the tree swing shown on the news when the family was searching at Styx River about a week after BW disappeared. But I'm going by what was on the news and not any info from insiders on that.

I think the exact movements of WWH and DH May 31-June 1 are still undetermined. We know WWH made some statements on facebook, but many of them were contradictory. All I know for sure is he shot himself in his vehicle near his home in Fairhope, but not at his home. And WWH found him. I know some of BW's family would like to know more about their movements that day.

I am a little confused here too. If he was banned from living with them, why was she giving him a ride to her house? And if he was shot in a vehicle, his vehicle?, why did he need a ride?

It gets more confusing. Per the timeline, Wendy says she and Donnie wouldn't be at the yellow house Wednesday evening when Brittney wanted to visit, but Brittney could come anyway. A neighbor reports seeing Brittney there at the house that evening swinging on a tree swing with another unknown guy present in the yard.

Then Wendy and the little boys spend Thursday night at the yellow house with Donnie. It's unclear where their daughter is.

Brittney's phone pings there that night and Wendy trys to delete Brittney's phone texts and voice messages.

I'll provide MSM links if needed.

I'm not sure of it being a rented trailer. I thought it was a house, the yellow house with the tree swing shown on the news when the family was searching at Styx River about a week after BW disappeared. But I'm going by what was on the news and not any info from insiders on that.

I think the exact movements of WWH and DH May 31-June 1 are still undetermined. We know WWH made some statements on facebook, but many of them were contradictory. All I know for sure is he shot himself in his vehicle near his home in Fairhope, but not at his home. And WWH found him. I know some of BW's family would like to know more about their movements that day.

You're right Zeaux, I edited my post to say it's the yellow house. Thanks, your inside info is invaluable.

It gets more confusing. Per the timeline, Wendy says she and Donnie wouldn't be at the yellow house Wednesday evening when Brittney wanted to visit, but Brittney could come anyway. A neighbor reports seeing Brittney there at the house that evening swinging on a tree swing with another unknown guy present in the yard.

Then Wendy and the little boys spend Thursday night at the yellow house with Donnie. It's unclear where their daughter is.

Brittney's phone pings there that night and Wendy trys to delete Brittney's phone texts and voice messages.

I'll provide MSM links if needed.

So he is banned from living at the house with her and the children but she can bring the children and come stay with him? How old are the children?

Yeah I don't get that part about her giving him a ride but he was found in his vehicle.

I read about the neighbor waving at someone on the tire swing but not about an unknown guy. Where did that info come from?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Thanks gliving. I have read but seems there are more questions than answers. Just hope that Brittney is found soon.

So he is banned from living at the house with her and the children but she can bring the children and come stay with him? How old are the children?

Yeah I don't get that part about her giving him a ride but he was found in his vehicle.

I read about the neighbor waving at someone on the tire swing but not about an unknown guy. Where did that info come from?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Jules, search the past threads for 'swing'. You'll find it. I'm logging off now but I look for it in the morning.

Hasta manana. :seeya:

I hate it that I know this... but a larger caliber gun would have gone clean through. Probably fatal. A smaller caliber bullet will ricochet off of bone, bouncing around inside the skull and virtually ensuring that sufficient damage is done to result in death. So it's six of one and half a dozen of the other.

I hate tht i know this as well..but can attest that when my brother n law committed suicide, who was a born and raised hunter, he used a 22 caliber due to the exac reason lisa explains above.. the bullet never left the head and ricocheted inside repeatedly..killing him instantly.. no bloody scene and was even able to have an oopen casket with zero sign oftrauma.. definitely NOT the typical gunshot to the head suicide that most picture when hearing this was their manner of suicide..

LE believes the woman who said she say a girl fitting BW's description on the swing just wanted to be on the news. They do not consider that a valid sighting. The last living person to have seen BW (or admitted to it) is her mom on 5/30 when BW walked away and disappeared.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marcia.C108