AL AL - Brittney Wood, 19, Mobile, 31 May 2012 - # 6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think, probably not. But is meth the drug you're thinking of? Because I know nothing about it. I hadn't heard of it before this thread, in fact. Anyone know how easy an OD would be?

Not easy enough, IMO.

Deaths from methamphetamine overdoses happen, but with less frequency than say, heroin.

However, with the increasing influx of methamphetamine product from Mexico, deaths from overdoses may be on the rise.

The products from Mexico are generally stronger than shake-and-bake and the more traditional lab batches.

Even an old (in his early sixties) meth addict I know says that some of the new stuff coming in is dangerous.

Nasty stuff and meth addicts are some seriously messed up folks.

I think, probably not. But is meth the drug you're thinking of? Because I know nothing about it. I hadn't heard of it before this thread, in fact. Anyone know how easy an OD would be?

This page says yes, under the heading "short term effects" it says "Taking meth may cause you to feel restless, anxious, dizzy, confused, and shaky. Some people even feel hostile and violent on this drug. Unfortunately, it’s easy to overdose on meth, regardless of how it’s taken. Meth can give you seizures, a heart attack, or a stroke, which may lead to death " http://drugfacts.ca/Drug_pages/Meth.html

I'm going to continue to look for other sites because I'm skeptical about the official-ness of a site that uses a black background with white letters (It hurts my eyes!) but the other links I read after Googling were from connoisseurs of meth who tend to say you cannot overdose. I think they are a tad biased o.0

I don't think Meth overdose causing death is common but violence and violent crimes by Meth users is, IMO. I live in an area that has a high occurrence of Meth. Everyone here knows someone or multiple someones; on it, in jail for it or affected by it.

This site was pretty informative on the subject. I especially appreciated the illustration of how the heart reacts to meth. http://www.methproject.org/

Lucky you to have never heard of meth, Zwiebel. It's rampant here in the US. Horrible stuff. It wrecks people, and families.

I wasn't thinking meth. Prescription pills and alcohol OD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know more about meth than I did, that's for sure. Thanks everyone. It's unbelievable what it does to people, and what people do when they're on it.

I suppose the question about an overdose for me is, if that happened, why hide the body? Or are you thinking it might have happened in a house full of drugs where LE were really not wanted?

Thank you, WhoaIsMe for the meth info link. I am in Australia- meth is here, but isn't incredibly wide spread, yet. I am a dentist, and have read about "meth mouth", but didn't really know what this meant until now.( Although I have seen the same effect on the dentition of other types of drug users, probably the same factors)
I have been visiting at my sisters house over the holiday period. She has incredibly slow internet, but each day I would ask "Is Today the day we find out what happened to Brittney?" and begin the long task of logging on...
Perhaps today is The day?

Maybe you're being sarcastic but, if not, most respectfully Zwiebel, if I were Miss Alabama (which, for the record, I wear no crown), I would stay as far away as I could from this missing person's, "suicide", incest, sex ring, drugs case. Just my realistic reality.
I have to say that I'd stay away from this case also if I were Miss Alabama.

They do have a well-known quarterback who is close to this case...but then again it is his uncle who has sexual abuse charges against him. I have no idea how they have kept his name out of the news stories about DK...but then again...I don't have their $$$ or pull.

The only thing I’ll say about the related football player is that if he wanted to make a possible difference in this case a donation, anonymously or otherwise, to the reward fund could help.

I think the reward amount needs to be increased to a point where someone would be tempted to step forward.

WH/SH, I wonder why they haven’t focused on efforts to increase that reward amount?

Does SH solicit donations for the reward fund on her FB website for BW? TIA

I have to say that I'd stay away from this case also if I were Miss Alabama.

They do have a well-known quarterback who is close to this case...but then again it is his uncle wmho has sexual abuse charges against him. I have no idea how they have kept his name out of the news stories about DK...but then again...I don't have their $$$ or pull.

FYI....That same QB is dating Miss Alabama....:floorlaugh:

The media is very protective of that particular team, and everyone connected to it since most of the local writers went to journalism school there. Plus there is a lot of money put into the football program by wealthy alumni. They have a huge football machine worth millions and millions, and they won't let this case touch it. The QB has been kept away from the media just in case a rogue reporter mentions it.

It's no wonder BW's case can't get much attention in her home state. If I hadn't read about it here, I'd know nothing about a missing teen from Mobile, and I live in Alabama.

New Year now here in Germany, Brittney. I hope 2013 is your year. Hope that's the year you come home. Someone knows that's where you ought to be, someone could help bring you back where you belong. Think long and hard about it, whoever you are. I know what happens when you miss that opportunity; take it from me, it's not worth it. It never goes away.

A happy New Year to all those helping to bring Brittney back home. A happy New Year to all those who knew and loved and cared for her, and are missing her now. A happy, happy New Year to her little one, and those caring for her. If good wishes were fishes, you'd be a positive mermaid, Brittney's little one!

And love to my Aunt June too - murdered, missing for seven years. Still telling her tale though, not silent like he wanted you to be. He's forgotten, you're remembered. You won. He lost.

FYI....That same QB is dating Miss Alabama....:floorlaugh:

The media is very protective of that particular team, and everyone connected to it since most of the local writers went to journalism school there. Plus there is a lot of money put into the football program by wealthy alumni. They have a huge football machine worth millions and millions, and they won't let this case touch it. The QB has been kept away from the media just in case a rogue reporter mentions it.

It's no wonder BW's case can't get much attention in her home state. If I hadn't read about it here, I'd know nothing about a missing teen from Mobile, and I live in Alabama.

MOO Speaking as a local in the Mobile area. MOO
The bolded MOO twice was intentional.

The press does not protect AJ because he is a BAMA player. The press has simply not reported on the connection with Dustin Kent because it is a non-issue with most football fans in this area. No matter if they are Bama or Auburn or any other college football fan.

Could AJ helped raise reward $$ for Brittney? Yes. Has he? No.

In my opinion, the press is not hiding any connection between Dustin and AJ because it's just simply not news. The sex crimes aren't even a high interest story here. It seems as though to the general public, Brittney is 'just another missing teenage girl".

Unfortunately, few seem to be interested in the case at all - that includes Brittney missing and the sex crimes.

The press does not protect AJ because he is a BAMA player. The press has simply not reported on the connection with Dustin Kent because it is a non-issue with most football fans in this area. No matter if they are Bama or Auburn or any other college football fan.

In my opinion, the press is not hiding any connection between Dustin and AJ because it's just simply not news. The sex crimes aren't even a high interest story here. It seems as though to the general public, Brittney is 'just another missing teenage girl".

Unfortunately, few seem to be interested in the case at all - that includes Brittney missing and the sex crimes.

BBM - As a local, why do you think "few seem to be interested in the case at all"? TIA

Aren't people from the area concerned about the alleged sex crimes against children? Do they think the abuses are just within the family?

Just trying to understand the local feeling/thoughts/impressions. TIA

FWIW: I'm not interested in the actions/inactions of the related football player. His choices are his to make. JMVHO.

BBM - As a local, why do you think "few seem to be interested in the case at all"? TIA

Aren't people from the area concerned about the alleged sex crimes against children? Do they think the abuses are just within the family?

Just trying to understand the local feeling/thoughts/impressions. TIA

FWIW: I'm not interested in the actions/inactions of the related football player. His choices are his to make. JMVHO.

To be completely honest, I don't know the answers to all of your questions. My opinion: The general public believes the sex crimes are within the family only. When Brittney was first reported missing by the media, it was as a 'runaway teen' from an area that is known for drug use. The media got their info from LE. LE has always believed she left on her own - at least that's what has been reported to the public.

Teenagers don't just "disappear" from here all the time, and we certainly don't have sex crimes of this magnitude on a regular basis.

Do we have major drug problems in this county? Yes, we do. That's what seems to make the news and be the priority to report.

Lack of public interest in this case is baffling.

Former journalist, former editor. Not baffling to me at all. The stories so far on Brittney have been rubbish. Local journalists have let Brittney down, badly. IMO.

Any journalist who cannot make a compelling, repeating story out of this case, shouldn't be a journalist, again, imo

Former journalist, former editor. Not baffling to me at all. The stories so far on Brittney have been rubbish. Local journalists have let Brittney down, badly. IMO.

I’m confused and don’t know how to evaluate the media in this case where key players in BW's family seem to have been less than forthcoming to LE by LE’s own words and to the public, by my speculation.

I just get the feeling that if I were a journalist assigned to cover this story, I’d be very leery of info told to me except by LE – and LE doesn’t seem to be doing much talking on the subject.

I will have to disagree.
At one point this season the QB had Heisman hopes, and his team is making a BCS run. The media power in this state belongs to his university for the reason I mentioned in my earlier post. It's been that way for many,many years. This case is just another example.
There is every reason to keep his name out of this case. He will never do anything to help find Brittney, even though he knows her, because he has been distanced from the whole ugly business. The media knows DK is his uncle, but they probably won't publish that fact.
This case would news of interest if more people heard about it. But almost no one knows. It's actually a fascinating case in many ways, even if parts of it are disturbing. It might help if there was some public pressure to find this poor girl.

I will have to disagree.
At one point this season the QB had Heisman hopes, and his team is making a BCS run. The media power in this state belongs to his university for the reason I mentioned in my earlier post. It's been that way for many,many years. This case is just another example.
There is every reason to keep his name out of this case. He will never do anything to help find Brittney, even though he knows her, because he has been distanced from the whole ugly business. The media knows DK is his uncle, but they probably won't publish that fact.
This case would news of interest if more people heard about it. But almost no one knows. It's actually a fascinating case in many ways, even if parts of it are disturbing. It might help if there was some public pressure to find this poor girl.

Bolded by me. How do we know this? Speaking as someone who lived the majority of my life in Alabama, although not presently, and IMO:
  • There's no blood relation between the accomplished college football player and the missing Brittney
  • It's a stretch to think that Brittney and he knew each other. Maybe they knew OF each other. How many of your uncle's wife's sister's daughters do you know?
  • I have faith in LE. They have convoluted cases on their hands, with uncooperative players. In time, it will all unravel, the perps punished, and Brittany will be found. If the National press put pressure on the players, maybe it would help some. (Pollyanna speaking here. :blushing: )

I will have to disagree.

Yes, I understand. Football is a way of life here in the south.

I don't believe it would make any difference whatsoever if the headlines worldwide were to read that DK is AJ's uncle. AJ has nothing to do with the crimes DK has been arrested for. What purpose would it serve? We don't get to pick and choose our relatives.

Now, if headlines read that AJ's cousin is missing....that would draw interest.
Perhaps increase the reward significantly. Personally, I don't believe the reward - no matter how large - will help find Brittney.
I believe the folks with the info would not qualify for the reward money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CATCHASE