AL AL - Brittney Wood, 19, Mobile, 31 May 2012 - # 7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not a legal defense, unless Alabama has a unique law in that regard. Short of DH holding a gun to DK's head and forcing him to do it, the rest of them all still had free will to say no and, if nothing else, a moral obligation to report the attempt to LE. Might have some influence on sentencing, but not on guilt.

I took it to mean that he would claim to have been brainwashed, bullied or blackmailed...anything to avoid direct responsibility and attempting to establish some appearance of innocence. Certainly not a solid defense to convince a jury but perhaps enough to at least convince his family to keep supporting him and staying on his side with a "poor helpless me" excuse. :banghead:

At least in my mind that has to be the only way anyone could try to make themselves ok with standing beside & supporting a child molester. NOT saying that is right just that I would hope they are in some sort of extreme denial and not ok with it all. See what I did right there? The alternative is just too much for me to bare so I want to believe they have been manipulated to avoid the worst case scenario.

JMO of course.

Exactly! I think her exit was planned. However it happened, it was not a chance event.

:waitasec:

In my opinion, it was Brittney who didn't want her mother to know where she was going that night. It would have been easier for her to say she was staying at a friend's house.

When Chessie realized her daughter was missing, she would have wanted LE to know the last person she was with. If she tried to misdirect them by claiming Brittney was at Courtney's, it would only have been a matter of time before the truth was discovered. I believe any fibbing was done by Brittney, as she didn't want to answer any questions as to the reason why she was meeting with DH. It's also possible that DH asked Brittney to keep it secret.

BBM - agree, good points.

It never occurred to me that Brittney making plans to spend the night (or two) elsewhere was in question. Maybe I am missing something or a train of thought that gliving has?

It has always appeared to me at least that she wanted to get away for a day or two and I doubt it really mattered to her if it was to hang out with friends or with DH. My guess is that she probably would have preferred to be with her friends. Perhaps DH ended up being her only or best option to get out of the house for a bit?

JMO

In thinking along the lines of rehab, there ARE places for women (and people in general who need help) to go confidentially to receive shelter, counseling, financial education and planning services, substance abuse treatment, and a path to independence. I know of a few (Restoration House for youth up to 21 and Lindy's Place for women who are getting clean or leaving abuse, and Odyssey House and Bridge House for the lost men) in my city alone. There are also countless underground houses for victims of abuse. All of these places DO NOT tell LE where these people are and hold their clients' confidentiality dearly unless the cops show up with a warrant.

RSBIBM

Regarding licensed institutions/clinics that are required to follow privacy laws... HIPAA does not require a warrant to notify Law Enforcement for the identification purposes of a Missing Person. If Law Enforcement wants medical records, then yes they would be required to obtain a warrant.

LE would not disclose the location of the missing person but they would remove them from the NCIC database as they would no longer be missing.

It is a fairly common misconception that privacy laws/HIPAA are far reaching. Without this provision hundreds perhaps thousands of man hours, tax dollars and other resources would be exhausted looking for missing persons who are not actually missing.

"When does the Privacy Rule allow covered entities to disclose protected health information to law enforcement officials?"

Answer:

"To respond to a request for PHI for purposes of identifying or locating a suspect, fugitive, material witness or missing person; but the covered entity must limit disclosures of PHI to name and address, date and place of birth, social security number, ABO blood type and rh factor, type of injury, date and time of treatment, date and time of death, and a description of distinguishing physical characteristics. Other information related to the individual’s DNA, dental records, body fluid or tissue typing, samples, or analysis cannot be disclosed under this provision, but may be disclosed in response to a court order, warrant, or written administrative request (45 CFR 164.512(f)(2))."

http://www.hhs.gov/hipaafaq/permitted/law/505.html

I've been mulling over something. Brittney told Chessie she was going to Courtny's (sp) house when in fact she was heading to Donnie's. Why did she fib to her mom about where she was going? Or did Chessie fib and really she knew where Brittney was going?

Why the fib? Why didn't Brittney want Chessie to know she was going to Donnie's?

:waitasec:

BEcause they all knew DH was going to be arrested.....
Oh ok Brit tell your uncle Donnie the molester I said hi!

They all knew about DH not one of them mentioned this when BW went missing.
Why?

That's not a legal defense, unless Alabama has a unique law in that regard. Short of DH holding a gun to DK's head and forcing him to do it, the rest of them all still had free will to say no and, if nothing else, a moral obligation to report the attempt to LE. Might have some influence on sentencing, but not on guilt.

I don't want to sound gross but IMO, it took an erection to rape his victim/s. No one forced him to do a thing he wasn't already willing to do. I am hoping that his little 'woe is me' BS is seen right through but you just never know these days. These perverts get off everyday with nothing more than a slap on the wrist or a few years of tax payers paying for their meals and TV time. I hope they throw the book at him and the rest of them.

BEcause they all knew DH was going to be arrested.....
Oh ok Brit tell your uncle Donnie the molester I said hi!

They all knew about DH not one of them mentioned this when BW went missing.
Why?

BBM
I think they all obviously knew about the investigation. Donnie was dead (or dang near it) when anyone realized Brittney was missing. Maybe they were hoping it would all die with Donnie. MOO

I took it to mean that he would claim to have been brainwashed, bullied or blackmailed...anything to avoid direct responsibility and attempting to establish some appearance of innocence. Certainly not a solid defense to convince a jury but perhaps enough to at least convince his family to keep supporting him and staying on his side with a "poor helpless me" excuse. :banghead:

At least in my mind that has to be the only way anyone could try to make themselves ok with standing beside & supporting a child molester. NOT saying that is right just that I would hope they are in some sort of extreme denial and not ok with it all. See what I did right there? The alternative is just too much for me to bare so I want to believe they have been manipulated to avoid the worst case scenario.

JMO of course.

I hear ya and don't disagree with you as far as him looking to keep the support of family and/or friends. I just didn't want people thinking he could escape ALL criminal responsibility by saying Donnie made him do it. As I said, there is a bit more leniency given on what can be presented in sentencing, and I could see him trying to use it as a mitigating factor to reduce his punishment, but that still presupposes that he's already been found/plead guilty.

I have never believed that Brittney just ran away. Who takes off wearing just flip flops and jean shorts. She would have taken favourite items and anything of value, and certainly would have taken her gun.

She had no vehicle, no money (as far as we know) and no means of support.

I’m convinced something happened at DH’s place that ended up in her death. Brittney was fairly small and he could easily have managed to dispose of her by himself, under the cover of darkness.

The question is, whether anyone other than DH knows what happened or was somehow involved. He may or may not have kept the details from his wife, after all, the gun he used was so small that he didn’t die instantly, and he may possibly have recovered from the head wound. If he had confessed and then lived, that would not be of any benefit to him. Also, although he was a bad father (that’s putting it mildly) he may not have wanted to confess a murder to his wife, and risk that she may tell the kids at some point. On the other hand, it doesn’t seem as if he cared about anyone except himself, so who knows …

who takes off wearing just flip flops and jean shorts anyway?
Well someone who (as has been stated by her mother) often stays away and possibly had clothes at another area? Or wouldn't want to run the risk being noticed in their own regular clothes?

Sadly I do not think this is the case. There is a ridiculous amount of evidence of "foul play". Open your eyes, LE.
JMO, as always :)

who takes off wearing just flip flops and jean shorts anyway?
Well someone who (as has been stated by her mother) often stays away and possibly had clothes at another area? Or wouldn't want to run the risk being noticed in their own regular clothes?

Sadly I do not think this is the case. There is a ridiculous amount of evidence of "foul play". Open your eyes, LE.
JMO, as always :)

I wanted to add that in some places in the US (Texas, is one that I know of for sure) shorts and flip-flops are pretty much acceptable anywhere, especially with younger girls. Out to eat, airport, etc.. it's hot down here and we don't like clothes or shoes.

And I do agree there is lots of evidence. I remain hopeful that we just don't know everything that LE knows.

ImWithTheBand, I agree 100%; though I am wayyy too into fashion to even be at my home in flip flops and jean shorts, I see it all of the time. I have also lived all through the South (Houston, Mobile, Atlanta, and in So Cal- Newport Beach & Carlsbad)! and have places in Dallas and Destin, FL. Flip flops and shorts are de rigeur lol
I too hope and pray that there is a REASON that LE believes she is gone by her own choice and that it is not just shoddy police work.
I also hope and pray that the reason LE has taken so long with arrests in the pedo-ring is that they are getting their ducks in a row.

I want to add that like many fellow Sleuthers, I will often post theories I may not necessarily believe in with all of my heart or play "Devil's Advocate" simply bc I believe thinking outside of the box is what a missing person's case, especially one this complex, requires. And as FootballMom so eloquently put it, we all want to believe the best and in happy endings; even when they seem very implausible

My personal theory is that Brittney's "disappearance" and DH's suicide were pre-meditated. Has LE looked into the pattern of her phone usage in the weeks prior to that hot May night? I sure hope so, along with DH's. I think he was planning all along to commit suicide the day he has his interrogation, and Brittney knew the BM was about to hit the fan and offered him her gun in exchange for drugs OR tried to beg him out of it. Mr & Mrs H (and DK I believe) what info she held and that she could do away with the entire lot of them and get immunity for turning state's evidence, and hatched a plot to "do away" with her. Their ignorant minds believed that with DH gone the state would drop the investigation and that the focus would turn to Brittney's disappearance and they would be seen as victims. A select few family members knew. CW was not immediately aware nor her brothers. Neither was "Zeaux", whoever she was. Later down the road more family members were told of Brittney's wrongdoings (whether fact or fiction) and were turned off and quit advocating.
I still am missing the while RSW aspect. Brittney's case fades further into the background sadly.
I pray for Brittney and the many lost women and girls like her, the ones who never had a chance, daily. I pray that there will be justice for the victims of the pedophilia and I pray for TRUTH. I pray for the ones who committed the crimes, that they genuinely cleanse their souls and seek God's forgiveness- I believe some if not all of the perpetrators are victims of abuse perpetuating the abuse.
I once dated a B-List Hollywood producer who confessed to me that he had a thing for little girls and incest because his 11yo sister had sex w him when he was in the fourth grade. He never acted on it and carried a self-hatred for his desires. It still sickened me so I broke up with him but I will never forget the look in his eyes when he told me that. Some argue that those who have these temptations are born that way or are like that because of the abuse they received. That may be true but there is no reason to act on it!!
This is JMO, as always. :)

Has anyone seen or heard anything about the vigil that was suppose to take place Sat. night?

Has anyone seen or heard anything about the vigil that was suppose to take place Sat. night?

I didn't see anything about it on the local news. Not sure if it took place or not. It was Senior Bowl Saturday followed by a Mardi Gras parade, so it might not have made the news.

I didn't see anything about it on the local news. Not sure if it took place or not. It was Senior Bowl Saturday followed by a Mardi Gras parade, so it might not have made the news.

Yeah you are probably right. I'm not holding my breath that there really was a vigil though, as bad as I hate to say that.

Wonder who was in charge of planning the event??

Sounds like Chessie was:

Chessie Wood has been contacting the families of other missing persons ahead of the prayer vigil at Travis Road Baptist Church at 5226 Travis Road. The vigil will start at 6:30 p.m.

"I want them [families of missing persons] to know they are highly invited," Chessie Wood said. "I'm going to use my daughter to reach out to the community and ask everyone to please keep your eyes open and help."

http://blog.al.com/live/2013/01/vigil_planned_for_brittney_woo.html#incart_river_default

If you see a post that violates TOS just report it using the red triangle in the corner of the post. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper