Found Alive AL - Carlethia “Carlee” Russell, 25, 911 call reported toddler walking on side of interstate, car found, she & toddler gone, Birmingham, 13 Jul ‘23 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
A full medical work up is not always warranted. I've had children pass out during stitches, teens pass out during injections, etc. Sometimes the causes ARE known. Lock your knees during a wedding ceremony. Passing out after a traumatic event.

Again, I'm saying it requires medical workup unless the cause is established. Passing out after a traumatic event needs workup, especially if they don't know what the trauma is. Example: in the ID quadruple murder, one surviving roommate allegedly passed out per MSM after learning her roommates were murdered. No need for workup, just needs medical stabilization. In Carlee's case, no one knows where she was, who she was with, or what happened. If she had passed out, there could be a number of reasons and it requires medical workup. IMO, a trip to the ER is almost required in a case like this because the family would have no reason to believe she's just passed out because she's frightened.

IMO passing out after something like this has happened and you're really not up to facing the music would likely be another example of your body's fight or flight protective mechanism because you really don't want to be answering questions about it all at the time.

That's a diagnosis of exclusion, meaning you can't assume that until you rule out everything else and that includes drugs, head injury, chest injury, stroke, heart rhythm abnormality, even dehydration/malnutrition, and anything else that could cause someone to pass out.

No official reports of tracking dogs being used either but LE doesn’t always reveal full and complete information of what was involved in a search. Maybe I read something about drones, or it might’ve been just my imagination.
One of the news video showed an officer with a dog. Unsure if a tracking dog but I'd assumed it was.

Until we know for sure what happened from law enforcement, if we ever do, I'm going to assume Boyfriend took some creative liberties describing Carlee's condition. It doesn't make sense to me that she showed up at her door unresponsive yet was released from hospital shortly thereafter. MOO
I did not see where the boyfriend said she was unresponsive. I thought that came from the Daily Mail who is always "extra". However the boyfriend did say she was fighting for her life for 2 days.

I'll share a little bit of my experience that feels relevant to this case.

It happened almost 6 years ago, and I'm just glad I was in the right place at the right time, and not someone else. I was driving home in the rain from a doctor's appointment at about 11 in the morning on a weekday, and when I got on the freeway, something immediately caught my attention. It was like my brain instantly processed several red flags -- first, that there was something moving in the grass, then:
A. It was a small child
B. He was soaking wet and shirtless
C. He was carrying a beer bottle

I immediately pulled over and rolled down my window. I did not stop to call 911, there wasn't time. He was walking down the side of the freeway, and I didn't want someone else to stop who may not have good intentions or for him to get hit by a car or anything. When I saw something very similar to what Carlee reported to have seen, my instinctive reaction was to stop right away, not to make any phone calls. I've tried to think about what I would have done if it was dark, or late at night, and I'm not sure. In the moment, I acted on instinct.

He was very scared, the rain was starting to come down harder, but I managed to signal to him to come over to the car. I told him something like, "You should never get in a car with a stranger, but honey, you need to come get in my car right now."

When he was in the car I tried to get information from him about what was going on and how the heck he ended up on the side of the freeway. I found the "red flags" I mentioned extremely concerning and I wanted to get a sense of what the situation was, i.e. was he in any immediate danger, was he running away from someone who had hurt him, etc. If there was an abuse situation I didn't want to just throw him back into it without understanding. I mentioned calling the police and he was extremely distressed by that and tried to open the door to get out of the car. He eventually agreed to stay in the car if I promised not to call the police.

I told him well, we can't just stay here on the side of the freeway so I drove him to Starbucks down the road and we went through the drive thru and I got him something to eat and drink (he had been "using the empty beer bottle he found on the side of the road to catch rain water" and was very proud of himself, lol) and helped him put on a dry shirt I found in my car while I talked to him and tried to get information from him. (Every time I tried to grab my phone he would get extremely upset and try to leave, so I didn't call anyone but I quickly googled and could not find anything local about a missing child or an amber alert which was baffling to me. He had run away from school but had not been reported missing. Several hours had gone by and the school didn't even notice he was gone. He was 7 years old.)

Most of the rest of the info isn't relevant to Carlee's case so I'll leave it out to keep this on topic.

The things that I think are potentially relevant here — he had not been reported missing. I eventually convinced him to let me drive him to the police station and promised I would stay with him and keep him safe. I drove to the nearest location that Google Maps said was a police station, and the door was locked. I knocked, and an officer came out and I tried to briefly explain what was going on. In the most BAFFLING part of this whole thing, the officer said it wasn't actually a police station but something like an annex, and I should go a few miles away to another police station, and then he just let me take this boy and drive off with him and didn't want to know any information, not even the boy's name!

I took him to the other police station and eventually was able to explain to several officers what was going on and convince them to take me seriously without spooking the boy. I guess what had happened was that the school systems are under the jurisdiction of the Sheriff's office, not the police, and the Sheriff's office didn't think to inform the police when they eventually learned there was a missing child. No one had called to report seeing him on the busy freeway, seeing me pick him up, or seeing him walking alone the 2 miles from school. He said he had hid in the trees and behind trash cans so people couldn't see him.

I stayed there with him for several hours and helped him speak to detectives until his father arrived to claim him, which is a long story. I put a note in his backpack for his mom (who lived in another city, which is where he was trying to walk to via the freeway) with my contact information, and later got a long and very grateful phone call from her. We stayed in touch for a while and I sent Christmas gifts, etc. I'm just so glad I was in the right place at the right time.

The most important takeaway I want to give to anyone reading this -- please please please make sure your child knows basic information about you that they can communicate to rescuers if they are lost. Make sure your child knows your full name even if they're too young to remember your phone number or address. Especially if you have a different last name than your child. This situation could have been resolved much less painfully if the boy had been able to tell me any of that information, all he knew was his mother's first name. Because of this experience, I've drilled it into my 4-year-old and she can now recite my and my husband's full names, and our address, enough for anyone with a smart phone to google and get in contact with us.
Thank you for sharing that! I am blown away by the runaround you got and being told to drive him yourself to the other station!!!

I was just thinking “catatonic” as well. I think it would have been more accurate, if she was indeed conscious and able to walk, if they had said something more specific, such as “verbally unresponsive”. Jmo

It seems on this forum, people are using catatonic in layman terms (hence the quotes)? That's fine and I certainly know what you mean. But catatonia is actually a very serious medical condition and the chances of her being released so quickly from the hospital if she was truly catatonic are very, very low. The treatment for catatonia is IV benzodiazapines and generally, they'll keep you for hours to days after you come out of it. If you don't respond to the benzo challenge, you're admitted to the medical floor or ICU because it's considered a medical emergency. ECT is the other treatment and requires inpatient admission.

IMO, what Carlee experienced is a post-trauma response, not true catatonia (though I can see why people are describing it as a catatonic-like state), not unconsciousness. I'm prepared to eat these words if I'm wrong, but that's my best guess based on the facts of the case at this time.

I think one of two things happened when investigators interviewed Carlee upon her arrival home:

1) she was very specific about who took her, how they did it, and where they are or might be now. The police and/or FBI are now hot on their trail and building a case and have instructed all family and department members to be vague and hush-hush so as not to spook the perpetrator(s) or ruin their case. In this scenario, they likely have eyes on the abductor and therefore there isn’t an immediate threat to the community.

2) she was extremely vague (ex: “someone took me” who was it? “I don’t really remember”) or there were parts of her story missing details or perhaps confusing/contradictory. This would explain the parents’ statements of believing their daughter (but perhaps having a small seed of doubt) as well as the behavior of the police (publicly stating they are following up on her story and trying to get more details). Perhaps they truly are like all of us as well- leaning one way or the other but still not sure if they’re dealing with an abduction or staged event.

I also think that whatever is eventually revealed as what really occurred will make us all go “wow… unbelievable!” And that’s because I don’t think any of us can come up with a scenario that makes tons of sense right now. Carlee had no known reasons to stage this, and why would anyone stage something by calling 911 and faking a kidnapping on a busy interstate highway in front of cars and cameras? But also, why would a kidnapper lie in wait in the grass/woods right alongside a busy highway for a potential victim while using a child as bait? That would provide for zero victim selection and no privacy to commit his/her crime. Whichever way it shakes out, this will be a case that will gets talked about for a very long time… and at least it’s one that has a happy ending.

I watched the parents’ interview this morning and the mom said that they didn’t immediately talk to Carlee when she came in because of her condition. She wasn’t in a good state. So I am assuming that that is where the ”unresponsive but breathing“ came from. Perhaps she was breathing but just wouldn’t talk OR she was screaming and freaking out?

They said they had to step back. That’s very telling IMO.

In case anyone hasn't seen a trauma victim come into an ED, it's heartbreaking. Some are sobbing and screaming uncontrollably. Others are mute. There are so many responses to trauma. If Carlee experienced trauma, the reports thus far make sense, and IMO, it also makes sense why her non-medical family would call it unresponsiveness.

Addressing a few points, assuming a hoax scenario:

I think there is almost zero chance a hoax wouldn't involve accomplices. Carlee would never have got out the area by herself. Someone either drove her out or she hid in a nearby house. If someone can offer a likely scenario that doesn't involve those two things... please do.

The police may have arrived more quickly than she expected - BUT - it also wouldn't take long for her to walk through those trees and into a waiting car and be out of the area... which I think is the most likely of the "hoax" options.

Police will certainly know if there was a call to the family friend - but have no idea what actually was said on that call. That person could be in on it or Carlee could've been using that person to add to the believability of the hoax... "I heard her trying to talk to someone... then a scream!"

I don't believe Carlee is some criminal mastermind. If this is a hoax, I'd expect many screwups. Consider the Idaho killer... he, apparently, put a lot of time and effort into planning his crime and still forgot things like... his car pinging off nearby wi-fi... he left the sheath behind in a rush... etc..

People don't always do logical things. People kill other people over $20. They do silly things that can have lifelong consequences... things that leave most of us scratching our heads.

Good points. If it was a hoax I don’t think anyone involved realized the area was covered by traffic cam.

"Hoover police plan to follow up with her again to attempt to get a better understanding of what happened and said they will provide information when they are able to do so.”

Is it just me, or is the wording --- " will follow up with her again to attempt to get a better understanding of what happened "----kind of odd? It sounds like they didn't understand what she was trying to explain.
Agree. I think by now they should be "able to do so". It's time.

I used to think that too but a psychologist told me that a nervous breakdown IS psychosis. I was surprised. @Beginnersleuth? Is that right?
Everyone speculating on her mental health should consider the fact there are other reasons she could've perpetuated this situation (IF indeed she did) that are not psychosis/breakdown related in any sense. Not just responding to you gitana, love and appreciate all ur posts! i'm saying in general on this thread. people don't seem to realize that "mental health issue vs. abduction" isn't necessarily the scenario here

I am still unsure what to make of this whole case. I haven't gotten to finish Gray's video yet but after seeing the footage showing she stopped before the videos we saw several days ago it does change things and the facts in the case. I only maintained from the footage we had originally seen that there was no other car and didn't appear to be a toddler, especially in some of those expertly enhanced videos. Now with the FBI being involved, the longer footage, and a new interview with parents it gives me pause that something bad happened. There are still so many facts unknown to us and because it's such a bizarre story it's hard to surmise what happened.

The parents did a sit-down interview with NBC News this morning.

Seems very vague, a lot of "we can't discuss the investigation," but the parents have mentioned "an abductor" that is still out there.

This is starting to feel like the murder investigation of Ethan, Madison, Xana, and Kaylee where the police are saying (or not saying) one thing and parents saying something different.

This is starting to feel like the murder investigation of Ethan, Madison, Xana, and Kaylee where the police are saying (or not saying) one thing and parents saying something different.
I just told my husband that LE's silence is giving me bad memories of when the Moscow police said it was a "crime of passion" and there was no threat to the public.

Edited to add: I get not wanting to scare the public unnecessarily, but then you get cases like this one below where LE says four women's bodies found in Portland within three months were unrelated to one another, then backtrack and say "actually this guy is a serial killer" -- and there are still a few more cases he "may" be responsible for. Maybe it's best to err on the side of caution when young women come up missing and murdered

I am still unsure what to make of this whole case. I haven't gotten to finish Gray's video yet but after seeing the footage showing she stopped before the videos we saw several days ago it does change things and the facts in the case. I only maintained from the footage we had originally seen that there was no other car and didn't appear to be a toddler, especially in some of those expertly enhanced videos. Now with the FBI being involved, the longer footage, and a new interview with parents it gives me pause that something bad happened. There are still so many facts unknown to us and because it's such a bizarre story it's hard to surmise what happened.

Same. I was 100% mental health break and Gray's video put me back to who the heck knows.

Can anyone offer a scenario that involves a mental health issue?

I want to know how people think she eluded police and search efforts... with no purse or phone and then returned home 48 hours later.

I'm not saying it didn't happen... but I feel like people are saying "mental health" then not thinking through what happened next.

[Edited to add: I get not wanting to scare the public unnecessarily, but then you get cases like this one below where LE says four women's bodies found in Portland within three months were unrelated to one another, then backtrack and say "actually this guy is a serial killer" -- and there are still a few more cases he "may" be responsible for. Maybe it's best to err on the side of caution when young women come up missing and murdered. ]
Snipped and edited to focus.
Emphasis mine.

I have zero problems , especially with the bolded.

Waiting (somewhat impatiently) for an update from LE about Carlee's case.
Omo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member