Found Alive AL - Carlethia “Carlee” Russell, 25, 911 call reported toddler walking on side of interstate, car found, she & toddler gone, Birmingham, 13 Jul ‘23 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can‘t imagine any rational person would create an abduction scenario, then leave it on the shoulders of police to figure out if they were really abducted and if so, who abducted them - all without offering a complete statement to LE to help further the investigation. If a crime is committed against someone IMO the onus is on them to cooperate with LE so the perpetrator can be taken off the street and not go on to harm other people. To not assist is pure selfishness IMO.
The key word is rational

That's what I keep coming back to. It just doesn't make sense to me
I haven't been following this case as much as most of you, but could she have picked up the child when the car was out of the camera's view and then driven to the mile marker sign to make it easier for the police to find her ? Also, could someone have been stalking her and knew approximately when she'd be passing and therefore had the child walking out of sight of the camera and under close supervision ? That could explain why she went arround to the passenger side.

Hoover police continue to investigate Carlee Russell’s disappearance and are still awaiting her “to be made available to obtain a more detailed statement,” the department said. Police said they expect to release more Wednesday afternoon.

I think they're circling the wagons. Probably won’t be any more statements to the police. In their position, I don’t blame them.

Last edited:
IMO I don’t think it’s that unusual that she lives with her parents at 25. A lot of people do. Housing in the U.S. is not cheap, and it’s near impossible to actually buy a decent house for a good price right now. Living at home with parents is a smart financial decision for many college students. There may be a lot of things here worth judging but I don’t feel like that’s one of them

It isn’t unusual, but it makes for living as a single adult and not being an independent adult very tricky. I did not want my parents in my personal business at that age, and because they care and they are roommates, you cannot gracefully keep them out.
I did not live at home after 18, nor have my children. That is the best way to teach adulting, the responsibility, authority, failures, consequences, successes, learning… and own every bit of it.

JMO

I don't know if I misinterpreted your statement; however, child trafficking is not a myth. <modsnip> It is unfortunately big business with some children from the poorest countries being the victims.
Nobody's saying trafficking is a myth. This scenario is just not how trafficking occurs, period. I'll post this link once again because I think it's very important for people to know what human trafficking looks like.

It does happen. <modsnip> We live in Texas, and I was shocked to read about the teenager abducted from the Mavericks' game at a crowded stadium. The parents are the ones who found their daughter, not the police!! So, if it can happen at a crowded stadium, I'd say that it can happen anywhere.
The way you're describing trafficking is aligned with the hysteria-driven, falsified, social media version of it. I hope my link is helpful and educational for you.

“People think trafficking is like the movie TAKEN, where the victim is tied up and duct taped and put in the back of a van, driven to a remote location and beaten and raped. Almost always they start out as online love relationships. Runaways are the second most common trafficking victims – in today’s social media age most kids aren’t running away just blindly, they are running TO something.”

At Child Rescue Coalition, we often talk about how predators groom children through online platforms, and familiarity is one of the main ways trafficking begins. Jim Cole described a cycle of a child meeting someone online, falling in love, being groomed, creating dependency, trafficking occurring, all while blind loyalty to the trafficker remains intact.

Victims believe that police are the enemy because unlike in the movies, traffickers are not always mean, cruel or scary, they are people the victim loves and become dependent upon. Unfortunately, in today’s digital age, it’s almost too easy for traffickers to isolate and traffic children.

Regarding the story you linked:

It is very rare for them to grab some random person at an event. Kidnappers do this, yes, but not sex traffickers. Traffickers are more likely to groom and befriend a victim, entice them with gifts, money, promises of a new life, or romance.

--

They said surveillance video also showed two men walking and talking with their daughter. Brooke Morris said the girl was lured out of the building under false pretenses. "It was along the lines of, let's hang out for the rest of the game until it ends, then you can go back up to your dad."

The Morrises said other surveillance cameras captured the trio walking into a parking garage. They said several minutes passed before they came back out, with video showing a noticeable change in their daughter. "Her sweatshirt was gone, her body language was very closed off," said Kyle. They say their daughter was raped while in the garage.

--
This was a very high-risk and unusual scenario, especially since there were obvious surveillance cameras at this location. This guy is either sloppy and new to the business, or just got cocky with his business. Two sure ways for a trafficker to meet their downfall. I feel horrible for this poor girl. Generally, trafficking is a very organized crime syndicate. This guy could've been a small time pimp/wannabe trafficker, instead of a genuine trafficker, I'm unsure. Can't tell if he was working with others besides the one other guy, from what I read of the article.

Regardless, I have never ever seen or heard of a human trafficker using a child to lure someone on the side of the interstate. That is farfetched and outside the realm of their behavior. A sports game makes more sense than that, and even that sort of pick-up is extremely rare since it's so risky.

Traffickers generally go after kids who are often unsupervised online, and "won't be missed" in their opinions, AKA kids who are minorities/parents are in addiction/kids looking for love/families don't have money, etc. They don't want the families and police to care enough to really try and find them, they won't go after rich kids or 25 year old women who have families with resources. The younger the kids, the more they can brainwash them/shape & mold them into a "good worker".

All of that's devastating and it's hard to even type it, but that's facts.

Last edited by a moderator:
So very glad she survived! Very sad. This case made me think about the missing Dr. Tameka Patrick who tragically did not survive, and I thought of Sherri Papini, who did survive. And no offense to this victim at all, I am so glad she is ok. Jmo and random thoughts that popped in my head

"There is one terrible and heartless hoax we want to address out of several. I received a text at some point from someone claiming to be Carlee and that she was at the Red Roof Inn. However, when my family went there and knocked on doors and looked for her and there was no indication Carlee was there, nor that she had ever been there. Any further questions or comments about the case will need to be directed to Hoover Police or the ABI," the statement concludes.

Yes, that’s the post I was referring to, thank you

It isn’t unusual, but it makes for living as a single adult and not being an independent adult very tricky. I did not want my parents in my personal business at that age, and because they care and they are roommates, you cannot gracefully keep them out.
I did not live at home after 18, nor have my children. That is the best way to teach adulting, the responsibility, authority, failures, consequences, successes, learning… and own every bit of it.

JMO
I respectfully disagree. I feel it is more of a cultural expectation at least in the U.S. for kids to move out and be independent at 18. In countries other than the U.S., it’s common and normal for multiple generations to share a household, or for kids to stay with their parents until they get married. Regardless, I admire that you were able to move out and work hard to be independent at such a young age

JMO

there is a video out there that has what I'll call a "day" filter AND where they have eliminated the flash from car blinkers. in that video, it does appear (to me) the figure moves just a bit up the road and towards the woods, before disappearing.
If anyone has access to this particular video, can you please link it?

there is a video out there that has what I'll call a "day" filter AND where they have eliminated the flash from car blinkers. in that video, it does appear (to me) the figure moves just a bit up the road and towards the woods, before disappearing.
Wow, that is huge. I thought maybe something happened before or after the video that has gone public.
What puzzles me is that she left her phone. If I was stopping for a toddler I would stay on 911 so they knew exactly where I was and what was happening- for my own safety.
She hung up with 911 to call her brother’s girlfriend. Why?

JMO

What if she did indeed steal from her work but it is unrelated?
Then she stole from her work and it's unrelated.

In the case she did steal and there's a connection to her disappearance, it could be the last drop that made she want to go away for a while. Maybe she intended to be found safe, and that's why she called 911 and her SIL and pretended to be abducted.

In any case, this is all speculations anyway. Idk, it's not very logical, but who knows?

Yep. Stranger abduction DOES occur. Human trafficking DOES occur. Both things are unspeakable tragedies. But ... this isn't what either of those things look like. Instead this seems like an urban legend that someone is trying to spin into a compelling narrative.

I think in cases of stranger abduction, the possibility that a victim has been trafficked at least offers some vague hope that they might still be alive, so I can see why loved ones might want that to be the case, but unfortunately, most victims of stranger abduction are dead pretty quickly.

And quite frankly (and depressingly), there are already so many vulnerable people who can be trafficked without the hassle and media circus of a stranger abduction that there just isn't a need to grab well-to-do stable people who will be missed off the streets for these nefarious purposes.

I don't know with any kind of certainty what this WAS, but I'm pretty sure what it WASN'T.
Wonderful post, especially the bolded sections

This site should ban talk of trafficking unless it is proven. Seems there is always huge talk of trafficking and it is never trafficking. Every single case I've followed...
You and I could not agree more. I keep posting about it in order to try and educate others so they stop suggesting everything is trafficking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper