Found Alive AL - Carlethia “Carlee” Russell, 25, 911 call reported toddler walking on side of interstate, car found, she & toddler gone, Birmingham, 13 Jul ‘23 #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
gitana1, they do have the right at this point to charge her with theft but I cannot see them doing that on what at this point is a misdemeanor.

As to treating her as they would any other criminal, they do have evidence of criminality. They can bring her in for questioning and at that point she can refuse to answer any questions, be read her Miranda Rights, and at that point ask to call a lawyer. At the point where she asks for a lawyer, no questions can be asked. LE then has to charge her or let her go.

But no, I do understand LE cannot force her to answer any questions. They CAN and should follow protocol for the theft from her employer.
LE cannot bring someone in for questioning against their will. They can arrest them for a crime and thereafter, try to ask them questions, but they cannot bring someone in for questioning without consent. There has to be an arrest to involuntarily bring someone in.

JUL 19

After detailing her alleged abduction and return home, Hoover Police Chief Nick Derzis described some of Russell's search history in the days leading up to her disappearance, which included searches for information on Amber Alerts, bus schedules and the movie “Taken.” That data was obtained from her phone, which had been left behind at the scene.

Chief Derzis also said that they were unable to corroborate parts of her story, specifically noting that they received no other reports of a child wandering in the area of her disappearance, despite numerous vehicles passing on that same highway. As of Wednesday, police say they've still found no evidence substantiating that the story about the child.

Police: Alabama woman's search history raises new questions about her disappearance

So she bought Cheezits at the Target, and then her story was that she was fed Cheezits by an abductor. LOL.

She also google searched on liability for amber alerts.

None of us here would have ever made those mistakes, and not just because we're all 100% law abiders.

The education system is failing Gen Z. Kids, don't commit crimes. But if you do, you should watch at least one season of Dateline or 48 Hours first. The more you know....

jmo

Just to clarify, because I am stickler for things like that, they can't detain or arrest her for the purposes of questioning and they can't try to compel her to answer questions if she is detained. An arrest is only allowed for a specific crime (probable cause), not for the purposes of investigating her or getting answers to questions. They can ask her questions at any time, But they can't compel her to answer or even try to compel her to answer questions. All they can do is ask her if she's willing to talk.

If they were investigating something and talking to her or anyone else as a potential witness, rather than a suspect, they can't force her or any witness to speak to them, either. The only way to compel someone to talk is via subpoena and only if the information isn't subject to a possible 5th amendment privilege.
Ty for the clarification. I think I may have misused the word “compel” lol

LISTEN: Carlee Russell's 911 call released
LISTEN: Carlee Russell’s 911 call released

Read the full transcript of the 911 call in its entirety here:

Carlee Russell:
Hi, I am on Interstate 459 and there is a kid walking by their self.

Dispatcher: Hold on hold on, where are they [can’t hear]

Russell: Um, um, I’m right next to the exit, exit 10 by the Hoover Met, like getting off by the Hoover Met.

Dispatcher: OK, so you’re before that exit?

Russell: Yes.

Dispatcher: OK, and you’re heading southbound?

Russell: Uh huh, south.

Dispatcher: OK, heading towards Tuscaloosa or 280?

Russell: Towards Tuscaloosa.

Dispatcher: OK and was the child on the left or right side?

Russell: On the right side.

Dispatcher: Were they walking northbound or southbound?

Russell: Uh, they’re walking towards Tuscaloosa.

Dispatcher: Walking southbound. How old did they look?

Russell: Um, like a toddler, like maybe three or four?

Dispatcher: Did you pull over with them? Are you still with them?

Dispatcher: OK. Are you with the child right now?

Russell: No, I’m not. I didn’t get out of the car. I can see them, though.

Dispatcher: Can you, do you mind staying and keeping an eye on them until we get there?

Russell: Yeah. Yeah, sure yeah.

Dispatcher: OK, and what kind of car are you in?

Russell: I’m in a red Mercedes-Benz.

Dispatcher: Is it a sedan or SUV?

Russell: SUV. I mean, it’s a sedan. Sorry.

Dispatcher: Can you put your hazards on for me?

Russell: Yeah, they’re on.

Dispatcher: OK. Did you talk to the child at all? Or did you say anything to them?

Russell: No, no.

Dispatcher: OK, do they look like they’re injured?

Russell: No, they don’t.

Dispatcher: [inaudible]

Russell: They’re white.

Dispatcher: Is it a male or female?

Russell: I think it’s a boy, a little boy.

Dispatcher: White male, OK. Is he wearing clothes?

Dispatcher: OK, what is he wearing?

Russell: It’s a white T-shirt, and it doesn’t look like he has any pants on. It looks like a diaper.

Dispatcher: You don’t see any cars anywhere?

Russell: No, no cars anywhere.

Dispatcher: OK. Alright. What’s your name?

Russell: My name is Carlee Russell.

Dispatcher: And you don’t see any injuries on the child from where you’re at, correct?

Russell: No, no, but I can’t really see them that good.

Dispatcher: OK, try to keep an eye on them for the best that you can because I don’t want you to lose track of them.

Russell: OK.

Dispatcher: Alright, and does he have any shoes on?

Russell: No, not that I can see. I can’t really see that far.

Dispatcher: OK, I’ve got them on the way, OK? Just try to stay and keep an eye on them but the officers are on the way, OK?

Russell: OK. Thanks.

Dispatcher: Thank you.

Russell: OK, bye.
What stood out to me about this call is the complete lack of urgency in her voice.
If I saw a small child on the side of a busy highway at night, I'd be terrified for that child and the tone of my voice would 100% reflect that.

The way she's talking, she sounds like she could be talking about doing laundry or what's on her grocery list.
Zero urgency at all, even without knowing what her "baseline" speaking voice sounds like.

jmo

Still trying to catch up here,
Re. post # 20 (TY, @Cindizzi ) ; and the link :

The mention of the bus station at Birmingham and the one way ticket to Nashville is interesting !

There are ways to leave one's life and make significant changes; without misleading LE and your family.
If this is what Carlee was considering ?

Sometimes, though, you can't run away from your troubles because they follow you.
Without you making a major change, you will still be you at the end of the day.
I'm speaking more about unwise life choices, as opposed to ones' personality.
Hope that made sense ?
Omo.

I did believe Carlee was missing at first, and felt worried for her and her family.

But very quickly, things did not add up. Then the traffic cam came out and it didn’t make sense with her story.

A badly crafted narrative has fallen apart in the face of the facts.

I feel for her parents. Imo it’s entirely possible that they completely believed her.

My own child lied about some things as an adult, and I believed her because she was my child and it didn’t occur to me that she was lying, for her own reasons.

That is a very, very difficult thing to endure. I had to face facts when they became glaring and I imagine her parents are in the same situation now. However, since they are in the public eye, (something which I suspect Carlee did not intend), they may well choose to avoid answering or choose to say they still believe her.

I do think that she stole and filed a false report, so maybe the law will come for her.

IMO the google searches that LE won’t reveal, out of respect for Carlee’s privacy, are the answer to the “why“ of it all.

JMO

ETA: thanks, @CamilleBSP, I edited to fix.
I’m not fully caught up yet, but as expected we are learning much of what Carlee said was a lie.

I feel awful for her parents, who seem like honest people. As for Carlee, I’m refraining on voicing my opinion for now.

What a rollercoaster, this took on a whole new life of its own, to put it lightly.

IANAL nor LE, so I ask those who are——
if her employer chooses not to press charges, with what I take to be a misdemeanor level of theft, aren’t LE able to charge her on the fact that she filed a fake police report?

TIA
They sure can. And I believe they will as soon as they gather more info.

What she did was plain mean. She premeditated this. Yes, I do think she has to have some mental health issues of some sort to feel this was a good idea, but regardless, she caused so many people fear and pain.

I mean, look at this:

It's so sad. And cruel. This was probably some sort of thing she did for attention, to get someone to do something for her, to get out of a stressful situation, but she didn't care what she caused to her friends and family. And she has a ton of support! Those people really rallied for her.

The state is not going to let that go, IMO.

It seems it's just a misdemeanor. But, her repuation loss of employment and career, all of that, is going to haunt her.

What a waste. She seemed like a beautiful gal with a great future ahead of her.

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 36
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 35
Still trying to catch up here,
Re. post # 20 (TY, @Cindizzi ) ; and the link :

The mention of the bus station at Birmingham and the one way ticket to Nashville is interesting !

There are ways to leave one's life and make significant changes; without misleading LE and your family.
If this is what Carlee was considering ?

Sometimes, though, you can't run away from your troubles because they follow you.
Without you making a major change, you will still be you at the end of the day.
I'm speaking more about unwise life choices, as opposed to ones' personality.
Hope that made sense ?
Omo.
IMO, her behavior tells me that she may have a deep-seated unhealthy tendency to run away from and avoid confronting problems. It seems totally bizarre in the mind of the average person, but I can see how someone stuck on the idea that they must avoid their problems could view this as a potential course of action

So, where was she? It's hard to believe she was hiding out in the (small) wooded area near her car for a couple days. A bathrobe, a roll of TP, and a 5 minute head start from when the police arrived after her 911 call and then she had to avoid searchers the next day(s). It doesn't sound plausible to me but stranger things have happened, I suppose. It just seems like someone else had to be involved in her concealment. Maybe she knows someone in that neighborhood on the other side of the woods or she was picked up there by someone? JMO.

I’m not fully caught up yet, but as expected we are learning much of what Carlee said was a lie.

I feel awful for her parents, who seem like honest people. As for Carlee, I’m refraining on voicing my opinion for now.

What a rollercoaster, this took on a whole new life of its own, to put it lightly.
All I can say is from what I can see, Carlee is incredibly lucky to have such a loving and supportive family. We all heard the pain in her mom’s voice when she talked about what happened and begged for help finding her daughter. Carlee definitely needs to see consequences. I don’t want to see her life destroyed, but this was unacceptable. After this, I hope her family is firm with her but still loves her unconditionally

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maxwell'sSilverHammer