Found Alive AL - Carlethia “Carlee” Russell, 25, 911 call reported toddler walking on side of interstate, car found, she & toddler gone, Birmingham, 13 Jul ‘23 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Snipped for focus.

While I think that Carlee can rehabilitate herself enough to have a career, I for one hope that it is not nursing. It is likely that if she is arrested and convicted of a felony, that she will be ineligible for a nursing license. Crimes of moral turpitude can ruin career aspirations.

If we take what happened here and loosely translate it into a professional nursing position, can we trust that she won’t steal from a hospital (her employer?). Can we trust that when things are going poorly for her that she wouldn’t make up stories, or worse, endanger patients to look the hero and save them?

I understand it is quite a leap to make and no one has a crystal ball, but why take that chance? I hope her nursing career is over for the sake of protecting public/patient safety.

Considering that she does not even have her degree in nursing, any future program is probably not going to accept her application. The larger problem for her, is the theft from her employer.

People with felonies can move forward and get good jobs, usually in sales, truck driving, dispatch jobs. But anything that involves theft from an employer, and lying to LEO is actually harder to overcome than a DUI or domestic violence.

Thanks for posting this. This isn’t a criticism of your post and am hoping to point out a couple things the statement doesn’t say. While it says she is a student, technically, in colleges, students are students until the official end of the semester unless they withdraw. If she learned about a failing grade before the end of the semester, she would still technically be a student. I tried to click on the dual enrollment academic calendar for Jeff State CC and I received an error so I can’t say if this was the end of a semester or summer term. I don’t think they said what her major was (and likely shouldn’t), just confirmed that she is a student.

Thanks for your qualified opinion about the nursing programs and the requirements.

Other than contradictory statements on social media by both CR and others, citing inconsistent levels of education and degrees, to my knowledge, only AL.COM has reported specifically about CRs past, and current education-- but without citing the source for the information.

7/14/23, updated 7/16/23

Russell is a student at Jefferson State Community College, where she is studying to be a registered nurse. She has a bachelor’s degree in psychology from AUM. The college said Friday it was “extremely concerned” for Russell’s safety.

I'm fairly confident that CR graduated from AUM in 2021 after seeing the following post at AUM.ED

Auburn University at Montgomery
1 week ago

Please join us in praying for the safe return of Carlee Russell.
She is a 2021 AUM graduate who earned a bachelor’s degree in psychology.

IMO, if CR graduated in 2021, and entered an RN nursing program at JSCC straight away, and if part of the two-year associate in applied science degree program, it seems to me she should have graduated in 2023.

However, if CR is part of the UAB Nursing Community College Partnership Program, which seems more likely to me, and working to obtain the ABN from JSCC, and BSN from UAB, I believe she's only 2 years into the 4- year program. (See pgs 149-157 of College Handbook).

Relative to whether or not CRs current predicament will affect her ability to continue in the Nursing program, I think she needs to give a serious read to the following sections of the Student Handbook, at a minimum:

ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
COMPETENCIES
Administrative Code of the Alabama Board of Nursing
(grounds for denial of a license to practice as a registered nurse).

I never understood if there were actually 2 orders and one was just messed up or if there were supposed to be 2 orders and she only got one? If the latter, it makes you wonder if there really was a mistake with the order or did CR just plan to take one order with her on her adventure and tell her mom about the error so it wouldn't look suspicious when only one meal was found in the car.
There was never two orders. Her waste that dough? No way.
She already had it planned. She was playing her mother, like she played everyone else. I‘d bet you anything, she’d been playing her parents for years. This girl is trouble. JMO

What exactly was she hoping to accomplish? Financial gain or media attention? Did she really think she could pull this off?

It was surprising to hear she left her phone and other personal information in the car.

I think the 911 call is key to her motivation. She wanted this to go BIG! She saw some kind of celebrity-victim status for herself, fawning attention, and financial gain.

Otherwise why make that 911 call? If she just wanted some time to herself, just go! Call your parents if you have some empathy, or don’t call…leaving it all a puzzle wherein they would need to figure out how to proceed.

Would LE have immediately blown this up for a 25 yr old that didn’t come home from work? Doubt it. She would have had the time she needed and could have come home and it all would have remained a family matter.

But she researched and made that call. So she WANTED it ‘blown up.’

Why involve a toddler child in her story? Because she would look like a hero…taken by a criminal while being a caring citizen protecting a child. Ego puff-up. She couldn’t let herself be kidnapped while exiting Target with her Cheetos.

There is no reason to blow this story up…just to punish a bf…or get time alone. There was a calculated planned BENEFIT, that Carlee saw for herself.

This Hoax had a business plan.

Last edited:
From your quoted article:

'She claimed she was abducted by a man who forced her into a car and then an 18-wheeler truck while she was blindfolded. Russell said she then held at a home where a female captor gave her cheese crackers, according to Dervis.
Russell told detectives she eventually managed to escape and run through woods back to her neighborhood."

So she was kidnapped, blindfolded, taken in a car, then a semi, held at an unknown home and then miraculously escaped. She then knew how to run right from the mystery home she was being held at, straight to her parent's home.....

The dog ate my homework.....

JMO
She must have been an astute Girl Scout to learn how to follow the moon directly to Mom and Dad's. Great navigator! yet only in her short-lived fantasy.

"Even if this case is, in fact, not a legitimate case of someone missing, this is still a very important issue. And Black women still need the type of attention that this young woman got," said Cheryl Neely, a professor of sociology at Oakland Community College in Michigan. "There are in fact young women who are missing and in danger."

Last year, Black women and girls made up approximately 18% of all missing persons cases despite accounting for about 7% of the population, according to data from the National Crime Information Center and U.S. Census Bureau.

"Those statistics just hit really hard. It's really alarming," said Treva Lindsey, a writer and professor of women's studies at The Ohio State University.

"This is what we know when it's been reported to law enforcement, so even that data still probably underestimates the reality of Black women and girls missing – and girls and women missing broadly," Lindsey said.

Families who bring cases of missing Black women and girls to law enforcement often receive pushback and face responses such as "maybe she ran off with a boyfriend," said Neely, who researches and writes about media and police responses to cases of missing and murdered Black women.

"We're still getting information, but police seem to be intimating that this may have been a hoax – that she may have manufactured her disappearance," Neely said. "If that is in fact, true, that is most disheartening because it is rare that Black women get this kind of attention when they are in fact missing or victims of foul play. So this kind of sets us back."

Last edited:
Any roll of TP is valuable when you need it and don't have it.

I wonder if she spent her time somewhere that didn't have TP and she was preparing (though she could've bought TP and a bathrobe at Target).

jmo
i just don’t see this girl (or either of my daughters) spending two hot summer nights in the mosquito infested woods off the interstate. Nor do I see her imaging herself in those woods…without a bathroom…ahh…employing that toilet paper.

I CAN see a young woman who grew up with comfort and affluence, being picky about toilet paper and bringing her own to a non-luxurious motel.

I think she had to have had help. The pull-over spot seemed pre-planned. But if she had never been there before, and had no help, how would she know, AT NIGHT, how to traverse those woods or get to a road?

Her Insty is not filled with photos of her toughing it out at Survivalist camps.

i just don’t see this girl (or either of my daughters) spending two hot summer nights in the mosquito infested woods off the interstate. Nor do I see her imaging herself in those woods…without a bathroom…ahh…employing that toilet paper.

I CAN see a young woman who grew up with comfort and affluence, being picky about toilet paper and bringing her own to a non-luxurious motel.

I think she had to have had help. The pull-over spot seemed pre-planned. But if she had never been there before, and had no help, how would she know, AT NIGHT, how to traverse those woods or get to a road?

Her Insty is not filled with photos of her toughing it out at Survivalist camps.
I don't think she was in the woods either.

But, rather, a place where she wasn't sure if there would be TP.

jmo

I don't think she was in the woods either.

But, rather, a place where she wasn't sure if there would be TP.

jmo
But where? I’ve been trying to come up with places and the only thing I can think of is a portapotty. or poss driving around the entire weekend around the lake or a park. Anyone check for teepeed homes or trees around the area? lol revenge maybe? She’s acting like an impetuous teen, so maybe? Who knows?

But where? I’ve been trying to come up with places and the only thing I can think of is a portapotty. or poss driving around the entire weekend around the lake or a park. Anyone check for teepeed homes or trees around the area? lol revenge maybe? She’s acting like an impetuous teen, so maybe?
An empty house, maybe

Just thinking aloud.

jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads