AL - Carlethia “Carlee” Russell, 25, faked own abduction, Birmingham, 13 Jul ‘23 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Emory Anthony saves defendants from the death sentence -- he's very skilled.

His statement was consistent with the known evidence, and just enough to confirm what Hoover Police already released, that the public is not in any danger.

CR is now lawyered up, and we can expect he will craft her defense as a litigator of his caliber.

I'm still expecting CR to go away to a facility where she'll be isolated while her lawyer does his job, and an acceptable reason her lawyer will use for why she's not available for public or legal commentary.

Again, the difference between the defense of the well-heeled and the shoeless. JMO

Okay, so they’ve hired the best to defend the princess, no surprise.

You could be right, even today the attorney didn’t directly say why he was speaking on Carlee’s behalf. My theory is it will involve some sort of mental breakdown, not a serious mental illness. <modsnip: speculation based on no known facts> JMO

Last edited by a moderator:
As a defender, Anthony has taken on some of the biggest criminal cases in the county. He is representing Dedrick Griham, who has been charged with kidnapping and raping Sandra Gregory in May 2006. He has also represented murder suspects Derrol Shaw, who pleaded guilty to four murders, Freddie Powell, a 70-year-old man who was charged in the death of 2-year-old Kateria Blackburn, and Andrew Moore, a 73-year-old man charged with manslaughter in the death of a 14-year-old boy. Anthony also filed an unsuccessful motion on behalf of Eric Robert Rudolph, asking a judge to set aside the verdict in a civil suit against Rudolph won by Emily Lyons.

Anthony is known for his passionate oration, withering cross-examinations, and for his fashion sense. He has run three times for Mayor of Birmingham and once for State Senate without success. Anthony serves on the Metropolitan Development Board and on the Board of Commissioners for the Housing Authority of the Birmingham District. He is a deacon at Tabernacle Baptist Church. He and his wife Felicia have two daughters.

Hypothetically…if she was contacting anyone, and they knew where she was during her ‘missing’ period, and did not inform LE. Or someone had contact with her and knew she wasn’t kidnapped, while LE and the public continued to search, is that enough to face some kind of charge…even a misdemeanor?
Holy cats! I sure hope so!

She's a coward. She should have gotten up there herself, not issued an apology through another person. She's gonna have a hard, hard life if she doesn't start taking accountability for herself NOW at a young age.
She sure is shielding herself , hiding behind her lawyer, won’t even talk to LE. I guess her parents are still enabling her. I really doubt she said any of that, was probably written by parents and attorney. Jmo

Possibly the content of her interweb searches, the ones he didn't share.

What else was she googling?

Whoever theorized here that CR was expected an engagement ring, not a interstripperloper, might be spot on. CR may have felt her hopes of being a family were dashed. Rather than cope with disappointment like the rest of the world does, she opted for stunt drama.

I wonder how this will play out for her personally. I don't suppose she's paying for her attorney, unless he charges $10sweaty7 dollars.

Will she get her man back? Have the family she wanted?

I'm incensed frankly that she stole the limelight, used up l9cal and federal resources, garnered sympathy she didn't deserve, pulled attention and resources away from true crime victims, ruined Cheez-Its for me, all to create drama in her personal life.

True victims are victims for life. I support a lifetime of community service and scaled restitution -- from her paychecks.

This doesn't go away just because she says she's sowwy.

JMO
Well said.
I couldn’t agree more.

Hypothetically…if she was contacting anyone, and they knew where she was during her ‘missing’ period, and did not inform LE. Or someone had contact with her and knew she wasn’t kidnapped, while LE and the public continued to search, is that enough to face some kind of charge…even a misdemeanor?
I do not think so. People are not required to report crimes unless they are mandatory reporters such as doctors, and even then just in their fields.

If they misled or lied to police that would be different though.

I believe this would quality for Obstruction of Justice consideration

Perhaps she was googling houses listed for sale by whichever person she knows is a realtor at the agency that donated a lot of money, I think …. so maybe she stayed in one of the empty houses.
Possibly the content of her interweb searches, the ones he didn't share.

What else was she googling?

Whoever theorized here that CR was expecting an engagement ring, not an interstripperloper, might be spot on. CR may have felt her hopes of being a family were dashed. Rather than cope with disappointment like the rest of the world does, she opted for stunt drama.

I wonder how this will play out for her personally. I don't suppose she's paying for her attorney, unless he charges $10sweaty7 dollars.

Will she get her man back? Have the family she wanted?

I'm incensed frankly that she stole the limelight, used up local and federal resources, garnered sympathy she didn't deserve, pulled attention and resources away from true crime victims, ruined Cheez-Its for me, all to create drama in her personal life.

True victims are victims for life. I support a lifetime of community service and scaled restitution -- from her paychecks -- and an agreement not to profit from this.

This doesn't go away just because she says she's sowwy.

JMO

That statement was a complete and utter joke. She’s not sorry, she only wants forgiveness so people will drop it and spare her more embarrassment. Sadly, with such a high paid lawyer, she will probably get off with no punishment. Something about the way the chief was wording things made me feel that he thinks the parents knew or figured it out while they let everyone keep searching. Unfortunately, she will only get worse. No consequences and her parents just keep cleaning up her messes IMO

I am not accepting that load of bullhockey written up by her lawyer. What else would he or she say? That ain’t gonna cut the mustard whatever way you slice the pickle. Try again sister. Maybe when you write that final letter to the judge begging for mercy. Until then, keep it stepping and stay off the highway. And out of the cracker aisles.

Last edited:
Do you all really think she was alone and didn't have web access for those 48 hours? I think she was watching this play out on tv and the web, when her family converged on the RWI I think that triggered her to come home. She may have not been at that one but she was somewhere that she suddenly didn't feel comfortable. It could have been a house that is on the market very close to where she went missing (as was suggested yesterday on here) and I also don't think this princess suffered by running through dark woods for very long, maybe a very short time. Dark, hot, buggy, snaky woods just aren't in her dna.

I think that would depend on who knew and whether that person had spoke to LE or not or they had assisted here. Just having knowledge and not reporting it wouldn't likely be a crime. But if she had called a family member and told them she was not kidnapped and that family member was also talking to police, then not disclosing that could very well be obstruction.

I think the Chief should have refused to read that statement. It was sooooo lame.

If Mommy, Daddee and Carlee wanted it read, they should do it themselves or have their attorney read it. If he doesn't want to read it, put out a press release.

Nope! The US Constitution protects individuals with the right to remain silent. However, it is illegal and a crime to knowingly harbor an individual seeking to escape punishment. It's also a crime to lie to the police.

CR appears to be a 'talker' and therefore played her cards right by refusing to meet with investigators after providing her initial statement.

For example, in Nov 2016, Papini disappeared and when she resurfaced on Thanksgiving Day, 2016, she said she was abducted at gunpoint by two Hispanic women.

In August 2020, she was brought in for questioning and was warned it was a crime to lie to the police. She was presented with evidence that disputed she was kidnapped, and it was a hoax, but instead of recanting, she doubled down that it was not a hoax, and that she was kidnapped. She was eventually charged with one count of lying to the police and engaging in mail fraud, related to the hoax of being kidnapped. She was later sentenced to serve 18 months in prison for the charges.

Papini charged

ETA: Sometimes the Fifth Amendment can be a stab in the heart. Like when the Idaho Nurse herself was solicited three times to kill her ex-boyfriend's girlfriend and told nobody. She could have saved her life but remained silent.... :mad:

Last edited:
Do you all really think she was alone and didn't have web access for those 48 hours? I think she was watching this play out on tv and the web, when her family converged on the RWI I think that triggered her to come home. She may have not been at that one but she was somewhere that she suddenly didn't feel comfortable. It could have been a house that is on the market very close to where she went missing (as was suggested yesterday on here) and I also don't think this princess suffered by running through dark woods for very long, maybe a very short time. Dark, hot, buggy, snaky woods just aren't in her dna.
Absolutely not do I think that was she alone for that time! Or without internet or phone!

Last edited:
Smart move by her legal counsel. She may skate with restitution and community service.

I know she's 26 but I wonder if she's been grounded. Guessing someone close to her has taken her internets away.

Or is this just another version of grown ups cleaning up after a grown up sized toddler?

Jmo
Yeah. They sought the advice of counsel and they told her to get out in front of it with a mea culpa. IMO. I believe this was per advice of counsel. Not because she felt apologetic or remorseful.

Last edited:
I’ve been traveling and I just saw this.
Like everybody else I’m certainly not surprised to find out she wasn’t kidnapped, but this statement isn’t going to fly with the public or LE in my opinion. I don’t care who her attorney is.
Her statement says she received help from no one else, and that she was not with anyone, or at a hotel with anyone the entire time. Then where the heck was she? We’re supposed to believe she was camping out somewhere. Sure, she brought some toilet paper with her but she sure doesn’t seem like the camping/outside type. Are there woods behind her parents house? Was she hanging there?
Questions remain and apparently she didn’t even come completely clean with her attorney, saying that she only told him that there was no Red Roof Inn.
I can’t imagine this little puff of honesty is sitting well with LE. They worked their rears off trying to find her and after a week of patiently waiting for her to come clean with them with the whole truth she sends a statement with zero details and a “sorry about that, can we still be friends”.
I really wasn’t angry about all this before, just kinda perturbed. Now I’m mad.
Charges are coming, I think, and not soon enough for this little prima donna.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marytb