AL - Carlethia “Carlee” Russell, 25, faked own abduction, Birmingham, 13 Jul ‘23 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hypothetically…if she was contacting anyone, and they knew where she was during her ‘missing’ period, and did not inform LE. Or someone had contact with her and knew she wasn’t kidnapped, while LE and the public continued to search, is that enough to face some kind of charge…even a misdemeanor?
No.

Moo...yea dumb and i don't know her reason
Ok she admitted not true. What more do people want.? Seen a number of cases simular cases...just drama,

CR's Mother 'Refuses' to Speak to NYT (per Daily Mail)

FWIW: Looks like this was just published in past couple hours?

Amazing, her mother, during the searches said she couldn't believe people could be so evil referring to social media, etc. Hmmmm does the evil her daughter did count to her?

“My client has given me permission to make the following statement on her behalf. There was no kidnapping on Thursday, July 13, 2023. My client did not see a baby on the side of the road. My client did not leave the Hoover area when she was identified as a missing person. My client did not have any help in this incident, but this was a single act done by herself. My client was not with anyone or in a hotel with anyone during the time she was missing. My client apologizes for her actions to this community, the volunteers who were searching for her, to the Hoover Police Department, and other agencies as well, as to her friends and family. We ask for your prayers for Carlee as she addresses her issues and attempts to move forward, understanding that she made a mistake in this matter. Carlee, again, asks for your forgiveness and prayers.”

BBM Interesting to note, her attorney says his client “was not in a hotel with anyone.” He doesn’t say she wasn’t in a hotel alone during the time she was “missing.”

from the article:
1690266727889.jpeg
Also on Monday night, Russell's mother, Talitha, refused to comment to The New York Times about the hoax saying 'it was not a good time' and abruptly hanging up.

She and her husband Carlos, a vice president at BBVA Bank, said earlier on Monday they were horrified at accusations their daughter invented the saga.

BBM Interesting to note, her attorney says his client “was not in a hotel with anyone.” He doesn’t say she wasn’t in a hotel alone during the time she was “missing.”
@Voice4theSilent
Thanks so much for noticing the atty's careful, precise phrasing --- which is likely to be quickly passed over by many.
And TY for posting to bring to our attn.
:)

CR's Mother's Stmt to NYT?
from the article:
View attachment 436908
Also on Monday night, Russell's mother, Talitha, refused to comment to The New York Times about the hoax saying 'it was not a good time' and abruptly hanging up.
She and her husband Carlos, a vice president at BBVA Bank, said earlier on Monday they were horrified at accusations their daughter invented the saga.
@imstilla.grandma Thx for your post w NYT link (paywalled for me).

Hoping you (or someone) can cut & paste the exact quote from CR's Mother to NYT.
TiA.

from the article:
View attachment 436908

So she kept up the ruse with her parents up until the 2nd presser?? Does that sound right?

*can’t she be charged with theft of LE services? Didn’t she call 911 with malice?

Class A misdemeanor can be punished by up to one year in jail and a $6,000 fine. Examples of class A misdemeanors include:
  • fourth-degree theft of property or services

Last edited:

I can't imagine any of the family would want to comment right now, I'm sure that it's been a whirlwind for them from Carlee going 'missing', to showing back up, to now it's coming out that she made it up. I sure wouldn't have words tbh.

CR's Mother's Stmt to NYT?

@imstilla.grandma Thx for your post w NYT link (paywalled for me).

Hoping you (or someone) can cut & paste the exact quote from CR's Mother to NYT.
TiA.
When reached by phone, Talitha Russell, Carlee Russell’s mother, said that “now is not a good time” and hung up. She did not immediately respond to questions by text.

Chief Derzis said on Monday that investigators still wanted to meet with Ms. Russell to piece together a timeline and fully understand her reasons for the hoax.

In a phone interview, the chief said that the police did not yet know exactly how much money was spent during the search efforts, but that he expected it to reach tens of thousands of dollars.

He declined to say what possible charges Ms. Russell could face. In Alabama, it is a misdemeanor to knowingly make a false report to law enforcement.

from the article:
View attachment 436908

Who is Thomar?

In 2020, when Harris herself was tirelessly searching for her daughter who was missing for 32 days, she heard Aniah’s voice say to her, “Mom, please don’t let this happen to anybody else.”

Angela responded out loud and said, “Baby, I won’t.”

Harris was put in touch with one of Russell’s closest friends on the phone who was “crying and so hysterical,” recalls Harris, and told her, “miss Angela, we need you.”

“That was a situation where we had to jump into action,” says Harris, “so I went to the Hoover Met [Complex], I called my team and they were on their way. The parents were already speaking to someone in the news, and then they said they got a tip and they were going to Georgia.”

Harris recalls Russell’s mother, Talitha, asking her for help.

“She said, ‘Will you please run this and take care of everything here?’ I said, ‘Absolutely’ and that’s how it started,” she says. “The parents were exactly the way I expected them to be. They were just like me. They were in continuous, constant go mode.”

All along, “I was still under the impression, or telling myself, that Carlee’s in danger,” says Harris. “We’ve got to get to her. She may just already be gone, and she’s not going to come home.”

“All of a sudden somebody says that she’s [Russell] at the Red Roof Inn. [Her friend] was like, ‘Do you think it’s true?’ And I was like, ‘I don’t know. I don’t know, but we need to find out.’

It wasn’t even five minutes later when Harris got a call back and was told, ‘Miss Angela, Miss Angela, somebody said she’s home,’” Harris says.

Harris called Talitha who was in a panic, she recalls, and confirmed Russell was in fact back home.

“I said, ‘Is she okay?’ and she said, ‘I don’t know. She seems to be okay. She just seems like she’s in shock. We’re going to take her to the hospital.'”

“I can’t even tell you the emotion I felt knowing that she was home and safe,” she says. “It was overwhelming.”

“I just went in and hugged Carlee and I told her that I’m so happy that she’s alive and I’m so happy she’s okay,” says Harris, who let Russell rest during the brief visit. “She hugged me back and she was like, ‘Thank you for everything you’ve done.’”

When Harris saw the press conference the following day, “I’ve really just been basically speechless to be honest,” she says. “I’m just trying to be classy and neutral because something is telling me in my spirit that that’s the way I need to be. Of course deep down inside I’m very angry. I do not regret anything at all.”

“If I could control everything, there would never be another missing person. But unfortunately, that’s just not the way our world is right now. But I think it does desensitize people, and it just makes them not want to rush to get involved as quickly or at all,” she says.

Adds Harris: “I’m moving forward with Aniah’s Heart; Aniah’s Heart continuing to educate people on safety and teach self defense classes. If someone else is missing and they need our help, we will be supportive and we will search if we have to. This is really what me, my family, and everyone at Aniah’s Heart is concentrating on right now. There’s still so much more work that has to be done. I don’t want people to hesitate. I want them to take every case seriously.”
Carlee Russell Search Leader, Whose Daughter Was Abducted and Killed, Doesn't Regret Helping, But Is 'Shocked'
*So, five minutes after the friend finds out about the RRI tip, Carlee walks in the door? Did I read that right?

IMOO- If she hasnt somehow pled no lo in the past recent years- If she is charged- she will plead no lo contendre and get pre trial intervention. If she's lucky, once thats over, the charge will be expunged from her record.
I just sat in court & watched this happen for several ppl. The issue is she's made this very public so I suspect the judge could require restitution. The pretrial intervention ending at the time restitution is paid off- how on earth do you pay back tht kind of money in a timely fashion? For most ppl restitution is less than the 100s of thousands of dollars i suspect she could be charged for repaying.
I may have spelled all the legal terms wrong- somebody feel free to correct it all & truss up this option for defense- if Hoover offers pretrial intervention. I understand not all do.
I have a feeling its not going to be the exciting punishment some ppl are hoping it will be.
Edit to add: cant blv I am still giving this my attention-just saying lol

Yes. But that’s not much in the grand scheme of things. And if she’s convicted she likely won’t serve more that a few weeks. If that. Probably more like community service.

IMO, Carlee needs a few weeks in jail…and extensive community service. And restitution that is tied to HER future earnings not her parents.

She needs to be grounded. She needs to experience some hardship. She needs to live among people who don’t worship the ground she walks on.
She needs to understand, that despite her pampered upbringing, the world does not revolve around her.

I am beginning to see in tweets and comments, real negativity toward her parents, especially her Mother. Unless we find out some details that we DO NOT know now, I think this is sad and unfair.

These people went thru Hell. I don’t know if we should have expected them to pronounce their daughter a lying Hoaxer on national TV when she first got home. But in retrospect, they should have never given that interview.

If, as some of us suspect, Carlee abused her Mother’s real estate position to gain access to a listing, there may be a real effort to keep that part of the story…secret. That revelation would even further the scope of Carlee’s reckless damage beyond the havoc she has already caused.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member