AL - Carlethia “Carlee” Russell, 25, faked own abduction, Birmingham, 13 Jul ‘23 #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
“My client has given me permission to make the following statement on her behalf. There was no kidnapping on Thursday, July 13, 2023. My client did not see a baby on the side of the road. My client did not leave the Hoover area when she was identified as a missing person. My client did not have any help in this incident, but this was a single act done by herself. My client was not with anyone or in a hotel with anyone during the time she was missing. My client apologizes for her actions to this community, the volunteers who were searching for her, to the Hoover Police Department, and other agencies as well, as to her friends and family. We ask for your prayers for Carlee as she addresses her issues and attempts to move forward, understanding that she made a mistake in this matter. Carlee, again, asks for your forgiveness and prayers.”

“My client has given me permission to make the following statement on her behalf. There was no kidnapping on Thursday, July 13, 2023. My client did not see a baby on the side of the road. My client did not leave the Hoover area when she was identified as a missing person. My client did not have any help in this incident, but this was a single act done by herself. My client was not with anyone or in a hotel with anyone during the time she was missing. My client apologizes for her actions to this community, the volunteers who were searching for her, to the Hoover Police Department, and other agencies as well, as to her friends and family. We ask for your prayers for Carlee as she addresses her issues and attempts to move forward, understanding that she made a mistake in this matter. Carlee, again, asks for your forgiveness and prayers.”

Truly a pathetic statement. From what I've seen online, it's just made people madder.

I believed in her in the beginning and I’m just so let down. So many people missing and not found and with every case like Carlee, the public just grows colder. She should be charged with falsifying statements and go to jail. I think 60 days might do it. Gosh, she just makes me sick. I’m disappointed she has a good lawyer. She does not deserve it.
I think 6 months to 1 year might be more adequate. There's just such a mess she's created, and if she'd just come clean from the get. But the way she's handled herself after is as bad or worse as what she did at the start. JMOO (Not to mention the fear she struck in the hearts of all balding gingers.) Just kidding, a little bit.

Thank you for posting.

Fine. She is sorry. Charge her with lying to LEO. And since this was kidnapping, was it also lying to federal officers? And also, put a garnish on all pay checks, government refunds, until debt is paid for resources expended during search.

It is not a joke, game, or just blow off this kind of behavior. It is serious. And, I personally think an enhanced hate crime should be added when people report a fake crime.

I don't chime in a lot. Infrequent poster, I guess.

I WAS angry about everyone being duped, but the truth is that I don't want to make this woman's problem MY problem.

Should she have some restitution? Probably. But it's not in my hands, and to get angry over it won't make it change.

The powers that be well take care of it.

Off my soapbox

I am very interested in where Carlee was during the search. If she had planned this, and used her Mother's account to access a house for sale in the area, as several of our WS have found...that is very serious. Breaking and entering.

The need for justice or restitution is not being 'angry'.
It's simply that the offender may not learn , if there are no lasting consequences ?
It appears at this time that LE are taking steps towards this outcome.

I applaud their patience in making sure they took the initial case seriously.
My .02 is that they knew what they had fairly early on, but were cautious and tight lipped !
Omo.

Jurisdiction. Potential Prosecution of Crime(s) would be.... WHERE?

Chief of Hoover PD spoke at presser last week & today; IIUC, Hoover PD is LEAD investigatory agency (atm).
Per Hoover wiki "Hoover is a city in Jefferson and Shelby counties" in AL.

Where did these (potential) crimes OCCUR? Who would prosecute?

While on Interstate 459, CR made 911 call, a FALSE REPORT to LE.
Per map in this link, Interstate 459 (part or all?) is in JEFFERSON County.

Robe & other items, Woodhouse Spa, at I-459 & US 280/Summit Blvd (I think)?
Same or different jurisdiction?

If there is a breaking & entering charge (like GOLDILOCKS, slipping into the bears' house to eat & sleep), where was that?

Who would prosecute?* IIUC, both below are in JEFFERSON County.
"Lynneice O. Washington. District Attorney, Circuit 10 Bessemer Division"** or
"Danny Carr. District Attorney, Circuit 10 Birmingham Division"**
Or were some crimes in SHELBY County?"Jill H. Lee. District Attorney, Circuit 18"**

Room for confusion w non-local followers. Not so much w LE or prosecutors.
* Per wiki for Jefferson County, AL. "Two judicial courthouses are located in Jefferson County, a situation dating to when the state legislature was preparing to split off a portion of Jefferson County to create a new county, centered around Bessemer.... The main courthouse is in Birmingham and the second one is located in Bessemer. Certain elected county officials maintain offices in the Bessemer annex, such as... and the Assistant District Attorney."

** Home - Alabama District Attorneys Association

Of course not, the princess was cool and comfortable while tormenting her family, friends, searchers and LE - I suspect to get her ex boyfriends attention - JMO
For some reason I thought that they didn't break up until after the last presser. They were broken up before she went missing? TIA

I don't think I want to see Carlee lying prone on the alter of public opinion begging for forgiveness. I don't think it's necessary for us to know why she did what she did. But I do want her to stand in front of a judge and admit her culpability for the coordination that LE mustered to find this 'abducted' person. If this translates into being financially responsible for footing the bill, then so be it. I also would like some local individuals who may be currently experiencing missing their loved ones to explain how she's singlehandedly trivialized missing people of colour and poisoned the water for community involvement.

CR's Mother 'Refuses' to Speak to NYT (per Daily Mail)

FWIW: Looks like this was just published in past couple hours?

I have doubts. Her attorney will say she had a mental break down and is undergoing treatment and HIPPA laws will put an end to questioning. Minor charges might be filed but then not prosecuted, maybe do some community service and family makes small donation to some search organizations.
A year from now when everyone moves on she will write a book about herself and her issues and go on an apology news circuit. Netflix movie pending.
All my opinion.
Oohh! So deliciously cynical!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members