AL - Carlethia “Carlee” Russell, 25, faked own abduction, Birmingham, 13 Jul ‘23 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
She knew her parents had a planned trip the next day. She could have made her way home while her parents were passing out flyers in Atlanta on Friday. Spent the day relaxing in her own home and snuck out before her parents returned.

Maybe gotten hold of her mothers supra lock box info and let herself into a vacant under contract property until she decided to walk home Saturday evening.

The location of her vehicle, her own home and vacant listing are all within walking distance.

I'm going to guess police aren't going to leave a minute of unaccounted time for the unknown 49 hours before charging her.

"Breaking" into a house is another thing to tic on the list, if she did do this. It definitely won't make her mother's employer happy, especially because this case is getting so much negative press.

Interesting that her BF is defending her, saying that no one should make fun of a "mental health crisis". Interesting spin.

But, at this point, no one should say anything to the media or mention this on social media. Carlee has enough problems now.

And thank you @shotgun09 for taking one for the team! How many boxes of Cheezits did it take? I want to thank you for the LOL today. Kudos!

Quick question When did Carlee's parents find out she was missing? I guess I just assumed they immediatedly were notified. But it occurred to me that the brother's girlfriend might not have immediately thought something "so serious" happened just because she screamed.

IIRC one of the confusing 911 calls was from the mother who’d just spoken to the gf of the brother? Yes, so she found out almost immediately.

“The Hoover 911 center received a second call from Carlee’s mother stating that a relative was on the phone with Carlee and heard Carlee scream and then they had an open phone line. Hoover PD arrived on the scene within five minutes of being dispatched.”

Interesting that her BF is defending her, saying that no one should make fun of a "mental health crisis". Interesting spin.
Yes, it’s interesting that it evolved from her fighting for her life for 48 hours into a mental health crisis. Who wouldn’t be having a mental health crisis once one was exposed in this way?

Last edited:

Russell disappears and is reported missing​

Thursday, July 13, 9:36 p.m. — After her 911 call, which lasted less than two minutes, Russell called a family member, police said.

"She went missing during that conversation sometime after 9:36 PM," police wrote on Facebook.

The family member on the phone with Russell "lost contact with" her during the call, "but the line remained open," Hoover police Lt. Daniel Lowe said. Talitha Russell, Carlee's mother, told reporters that her daughter was on the phone with her sister-in-law at the time that her voice dropped out.

Russell's mother then called the police and said Russell had been on the phone with a relative, and that relative had heard Russell scream.

BBM not sure if parent knew she was missing at that time. MOO

Ok but if they called the police right then, they obviously were worried. I'm not understanding why they went to Atlanta the next day? It makes no sense.

I'm starting to wonder if she had done stuff like this before. It's just too weird that her parents would think she was abducted and then go on a planned trip the next day.

Someone also posted a twitter she had posted a day earlier. At first I thought she might have been trying to plant "evidence" prior to her plan of the fake abduction. But now I'm wondering if maybe something else is going on.

When my daughter was 16, she asked if she could spend the night at a friends house. The friend would pick her up from her job at the mall, so I wouldn’t have to. I said okay, but call me when you get to the friends house, so I know you are ‘in for the night.’

She called…said she was ‘in for the night.’

About 2 am, I heard someone banging on our door. It was the other girls Mother. She said some boys had actually picked the girls up at the mall, but though they stopped by he house, they had never come home.
We called police; we called a Dr friend who checked hospitals. To say I felt physicslly ill is no exaggeration. This daughter was a top student, never gave us a moments trouble.

I told the police “She never lies.”

About 6am, the police located them trying to sneak back into the friends house. They had been at a party. She came home in a squad car. She had six weeks restriction at home.

For years I would wake up thinking I heard banging on the door.

If, God forbid, we ever had another ‘incident’…I might have had the smallest ‘hope’ and it would be ‘hope’ that it might be something like this again.

How awful though, if millions were watching. What a terrible situation for these parents! i am more concerned for their health going forward than for Carlee’s; They are the primary victims of this alleged hoax and, loving their daughter so much, there is no happy solution for them now.

When my daughter was 16, she asked if she could spend the night at a friends house. The friend would pick her up from her job at the mall, so I wouldn’t have to. I said okay, but call me when you get to the friends house, so I know you are ‘in for the night.’

She called…said she was ‘in for the night.’

About 2 am, I heard someone banging on our door. It was the other girls Mother. She said some boys had actually picked the girls up at the mall, but though they stopped by he house, they had never come home.
We called police; we called a Dr friend who checked hospitals. To say I felt physicslly ill is no exaggeration. This daughter was a top student, never gave us a moments trouble.

I told the police “She never lies.”

About 6am, the police located them trying to sneak back into the friends house. They had been at a party. She came home in a squad car. She had six weeks restriction at home.

For years I would wake up thinking I heard banging on the door.

If, God forbid, we ever had another ‘incident’…I might have had the smallest ‘hope’ and it would be ‘hope’ that it might be something like this again.

How awful though, if millions were watching. What a terrible situation for these parents! i am more concerned for their health going forward than for Carlee’s; They are the primary victims of this alleged hoax and, loving their daughter so much, there is no happy solution for them now.

I agree. And when you consider the possibility of the theory that she hid out in a vacant home under her mothers agency, it takes it to a much higher level. That's why I am avoiding that topic for now.

I also am very worried about Carlee herself. People do stupid things in their lives. Having it go viral is horrifying. I don't thinks she ever expected this level of focus. I personally don't think she should be prosecuted but maybe given some level of community service.

*Oh I can’t get away. I’m intentionally trying to avoid Carlee articles. It’s impossible. Dang it, I didn’t want to come back but here I am.
MSM has OCD!

“The only thing I can say is, I want everyone to stop bullying her. I know what it seems like what she did. Just stop bullying on social media,” Thomar Latrell Simmons told The Post.

“Think about her mental health. She doesn’t deserve that. She doesn’t. Nobody deserves to be cyberbullied.”

*Oh I can’t get away. I’m intentionally trying to avoid Carlee articles. It’s impossible. Dang it, I didn’t want to come back but here I am.
MSM has OCD!

“The only thing I can say is, I want everyone to stop bullying her. I know what it seems like what she did. Just stop bullying on social media,” Thomar Latrell Simmons told The Post.

“Think about her mental health. She doesn’t deserve that. She doesn’t. Nobody deserves to be cyberbullied.”
She doesn’t deserve to be cyber bullied.
But she does need to be officially held accountable for her actions, as would be the case if any of us had done similar.
Supposing one of us had done something like this to get attention on Websleuths as an abducted person?

Quick question When did Carlee's parents find out she was missing? I guess I just assumed they immediatedly were notified. But it occurred to me that the brother's girlfriend might not have immediately thought something "so serious" happened just because she screamed.
At 2:10 CR’s Mother describes the phone call and says her son’s girlfriend walked into the room to tell her about it:

I'm having a hard time seeing her as a victim in this right now. If she doesn't want to be "cyber bullied" then don't read social media! Carlee has a choice in this. Maybe the ex should be calling on Carlee to answer the questions that LE has and for her to come forward with what really happened and not lecture the public that stepped up and were very concerned about a missing girl and toddler. JMO

MSM has OCD!

Mr. Simmons would be wise to tell his friend/gf to just stop reading SM.

The world doesn't cater to Carlee. The sooner she accepts that, the sooner she'll move past this. The only behaviors anyone has control over are their own. No one, can make anyone else do anything.

I'm not going anywhere until LE completes their investigation and justice is served, where it should be served. I will not turn a blind eye to criminal behavior.

At 2:10 CR’s Mother describes the phone call and says her son’s girlfriend walked into the room to tell her about it:

Thank you so much. Interesting. I didn't realize that she called the gf first and the gf told her to call 911. Boy is this a HUGE messs for Carlee if she honestly was trying to pull an attention stunt. I have a feeling she didn't compute what was going to happen when she called 911 and mentioned a toddler on the side of the road. I've always felt she only called them to back up her claim to her family. I still think she snuck through the woods and stayed a house that's listed for sale a direct line from where she was pulled over. An 8 minute walk. I think she took the toilet paper, robe and snacks just to basically camp out over night and wanted to put a little scare into her family for attention.

And I really think that people are underestimating what likely happened when she dropped her phone. Young people today are glued to their phones. Her not having hers with her would be like going into an underground bunker. This story blew up SO FAST. Imagine her turning on a television or seeing a paper a day later and realizing the entire country knows what lie you told and is out looking for you. OMG I cannot even imagine the horror and panic of realizing your little lie is global.

I really feel sorry for her and people should stop cyber bullying her. I do not think she intended any of this.

Here's an anonymous map of how I think she hid out.

Attachments

• path.jpg
    path.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 24
Seems like that must be the case. We all saw the devastation of the parents in the first interview. They would not just go merrily up to Atlanta on a pre-planned trip when their child’s life was seemingly at risk.

They had some reason to think she was there. They printed up flyers. Yet nothing was known about the kidnappers, no description, car, nothing.

Yet they went to Atlanta.

And after telling us that they received so many cruel fake tips by text. They choose to believe the RRI text and gather the family to go there, knocking on doors.

It is all very puzzling.

Had Carlee ever taken off before…gone to Atlanta or the RRI? That might explain it.

Watching the interview and seeing how many people came out to look for her I can almost understand if they went ahead on the trip thinking it would expand their reach in getting the story out. I feel very bad for them.

I keep wondering her motive. Was she angry at her parents and wanted to punish them? Most parents would be terrified to learn of their daughter's kidnapping. Was she craving attention? Was she desperate and considering self-harm?

She's responsible for wasting LE and the community's time and resources, and creating mental anguish to family and friends. I can't wrap my head around what she could possibly have gained by initiating this hoax. I sympathize if she has mental issues, but she committed crimes and I believe she should be charged.

Mr. Simmons would be wise to tell his friend/gf to just stop reading SM.

The world doesn't cater to Carlee. The sooner she accepts that, the sooner she'll move past this. The only behaviors anyone has control over are their own. No one, can make anyone else do anything.

I'm not going anywhere until LE completes their investigation and justice is served, where it should be served. I will not turn a blind eye to criminal behavior.
Now I for sure can’t leave this thread. Thanks for the gentle reminder why we continue on every day. March. Forward. Carry on…

She doesn’t deserve to be cyber bullied.
But she does need to be officially held accountable for her actions, as would be the case if any of us had done similar.
Supposing one of us had done something like this to get attention on Websleuths as an abducted person?

More and more I'm seeing her as a victim of social media in this. Like even "stealing the toilet paper" I mean, it's weird but I have taken things home from work or borrowed something and brought it back. I don't think she planned this the way it looks. I do wonder if her parent's trip might have had something to do with why she did it. Seems odd that the timing was the day before. Maybe all she thought was going to happen was they'd cancel their trip and she'd come home the next day and say this creepy guy held her in the woods and she escaped. But then she wakes up the next day and the entire world knows what she did.

I cannot fathom something like this happening. I'm sure she didn't either. I don't think she expected anyone other than her family to do anything. We all know that police often tell people that the person has to be missing for 24-48 hours before they can file a missing personss report (we know this isn't true) but I think she honestly was trying to just disappear for a day and come back.

I keep wondering her motive. Was she angry at her parents and wanted to punish them? Most parents would be terrified to learn of their daughter's kidnapping. Was she craving attention? Was she desperate and considering self-harm?

She's responsible for wasting LE and the community's time and resources, and creating mental anguish to family and friends. I can't wrap my head around what she could possibly have gained by initiating this hoax. I sympathize if she has mental issues, but she committed crimes and I believe she should be charged.

Great post. I think we need to compare what she probably THOUGHT was going to happen with what actually happened. I think maybe she thought she'd come home the next day with this creepy guy story and how she was kidnapped but escaped to just get attention. That's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshuasaunt