AL - Carlethia “Carlee” Russell, 25, faked own abduction, Birmingham, 13 Jul ‘23 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm wondering if Carlee desperately wanted something "big" specifically for her birthday and had already been told she would not be receiving it.
I'll show them.
Behold, the Golden Child has returned to us!
Present given?
I've wondered if perhaps Carlee was expecting a big diamond ring on the NYC trip, and when that didn't happen, she started scheming...moo

She does need a psych eval. I mean, who does this? Carlee did it. She needs help. Right into a 6x8 cell. She needs time alone with herself. Totally alone to sit and think about what she did. No distractions. Just she and herself. Only screaming or crying women, overworked corrections officers trying to keep order when inmates are fighting over what channel to turn the tv to. Just wait until she has a headache and wants something for pain. Days to wait and then they charge $28 a pill. Trying to trade that green bologna sandwich for a honey bun. Oh yes Carlee. You need to go to jail. Believe me, it’s not like the RRI. You’ll be praying for that rough toilet paper. Any toilet paper.

eta: *I‘m a former DOC inmate male and female work crew supervisor. Inmates from a community correctional center. Really interesting people. I learned a lot from them. Mostly I learned about myself.

Last edited:
She does need a psych eval. I mean, who does this? Carlee did it. She needs help. Right into a 6x8 cell. She needs time alone with herself. Totally alone to sit and think about what she did. No distractions. Just she and herself. Only screaming or crying women, overworked corrections officers trying to keep order when inmates are fighting over what channel to turn the tv to. Just wait until she has a headache and wants something for pain. Days to wait and then they charge $28 a pill. Trying to trade that green bologna sandwich for a honey bun. Oh yes Carlee. You need to go to jail. Believe me, it’s not like the RRI. You’ll be praying for that rough toilet paper. Any toilet paper.

I have no idea why her lawyer didn't immediately tell them to go put her in for a mental health evaluation. That would teeter it over from cold hearted manipulation of her BF to mental health. Just from a legal standpoint I would think it would be the smartest thing to do. Maybe they are worried for her future career but that's pretty much over with at this point. No way in the world is she ever getting hired as a nurse.

Maybe she "didn't fully compute" what would happen if she called 911, but she fully always intended to call 911.

We know this, IMO, because of the fact that she searched up "do you have to pay for an Amber Alert".

And if she didn't do enough research as a result of/after that, in order to learn that 25-year-olds don't qualify for Amber Alerts and that she'd have to make up an under-18 person being threatened; well, then I feel sorry for her intellect.

Yes, poor research. I got the impression by the wandering toddler being inserted into the story, it might be assumed the child had also been kidnapped. I think that’s why LE was very quick to confirm that no child had been reported missing.

I believe there are people who lie basically just to lie IMO.
I onced recieved a phone call at 1:00 a.m. from a cousin of my then husband. He was really excited and shared that he had won a million dollar jackpot in our state lottery! The only thing was.....he didn't. He eventually fessed up to family that he made it up.
Now why would someone tell family that they won the lottery knowing eventually people would find out he didn't??? To this day I don't understand it. He was just a lying liar who lies!

Reporter Ben Hoover of CBS/42 News interviews the parents on Zoom from their vehicle while they were in Atlanta on Friday -- the day after CR was allegedly abducted.

In the first 22 seconds of the news video, when asked by Ben Hoover if a tip that CR was in the Atlanta area prompted the trip to Atlanta and the mother responds, YES, THEY DID RECEIVE A TIP BUT IT DID NOT PROVE VIABLE.

SHE GOES ON TO SAY THAT HAD PREVIOUSLY PLANNED TO VISIT AND SEARCH THE GEORGIA AREA SO IT WAS NOT A WASTED TRIP BECAUSE THEY PROBABLY COVERED ABOUT 20 EXITS WITH FLYERS.

In response to the Reporter Ben Hoover's statement that police are looking at "all possibilities and all theories " in the disappearance of CR, Mrs. Russell defensively responded:

"I'm not sure why they are looking at ALL POSSIBILITIES-- it's very clear she was abducted from the phone call that she last had with one of our relatives, and they heard her scream." And Mr. Russell added... "We're 99% sure she was abducted, and we've felt that way since the beginning."

I never watch emotional videos the "victim's" families put out while a case is ongoing, as it tends to affect my opinion of the case. I prefer to just consider the facts and then go back later and watch the videos. That said...

If I 99% believed my 25 year old, who lives at home, with me, had been abducted, the last dang thing I'm doing is leaving town.

But that's just me. :rolleyes:

I'm wondering if Carlee desperately wanted something "big" specifically for her birthday and had already been told she would not be receiving it.
I'll show them.
Behold, the Golden Child has returned to us!
Present given?
Sorry, I wasn't laughing at your post I was laughing at the idea a grown woman of 25 would concoct such a childish, tantrum like idea, to manipulate someone into giving her what she wanted.

I know, creepy people do creepy things but still, it's so shallow and selfish.

jmo

eta: *I‘m a former DOC inmate male and female work crew supervisor. Inmates from a community correctional center. Really interesting people. I learned a lot from them. Mostly I learned about myself.

Sounds like a fascinating job.

Thing with Carlee as an inmate, her commissary account would probably be at the max all the time. I wonder how that would work for her as an inmate.

DBM

Not awake yet. Totally assumed that LE was including the area around the car in comment about the phone not being in the car. Please ignore

Last edited:
According to the dispatch call, Officer states that all her belongings are in the car except for her phone.

It's at the 4:26 point.
She dropped the phone OUTSIDE the car.

The wig has dominated the conversation surrounding Russell’s disappearance — online and off — and is a key element of the story that shifted public perception, particularly among the black community, even before the police released her browser history and cell phone records.

Several hair stylists, wig experts and salon patrons in Russell’s hometown, all of whom are black, told The Post that the wig immediately triggered suspicions that something seemed off, even before Russell reappeared.

She would have certainly worn the wig at work, and it’s unimaginable that she would have taken it off in the car — It would be like someone taking their underwear, they said.

The stylists said the wig appeared to be an expensive, front-lace wig that looked like a “613” color — a premium shade of platinum blonde.

[..]

“That was when the majority of Birmingham was like, ‘She’s lying.’ That’s when it was split down the middle where there was those that believed her and those that thought she was lying. It was the wig,” hair stylist Kyra Joyner, 23, from Hoover, told The Post.

[..]

Andrea Townsend, a salon patron from Helena, said it’s unthinkable that a black woman would ever leave her wig behind in her car.

“When it happened we were in shock. But once we saw the wig, just to know that wig was left behind— we don’t do that. We don’t do that. People were talking about it,” she said.

Martha Harton, a nurse from Fayette, told The Post that all black women immediately knew Russell was lying — and it’s because of the wig.

“We all knew,” she said.

“A black woman’s hair is her glory. There are three things a black woman has that you don’t mess with: Her kids, her money, and her hair. That’s what gave her away.”

I read this earlier but I’m still a bit confused.

One of my dearest friends, whom I’ve known for 48 years, is black and helped me decades ago to understand the cultural significance of black women and their relationships with their hair.

This friend, when we were teenagers, had her hair straightened with a hot comb. She would never go in a pool or beach because it would make her hair behave in a manner she didn’t want.

In the 1970s, when we met, a lot of black people here in NYC chose to wear their hair naturally, which is when Afros were popular. As the years went by, other black friends would buy hair from women in India that was considered “good hair” and would be used for weaves.

Eventually some black friends started to buy those very expensive wigs, which is an ordeal to remove, from what I understand.

We can see in Carlee’s pictures from before this stunt that she had several wigs of different colors and styles. IMO this was central to the image she wished to craft, along with the gowns and bathing suit pictures.

I have now read several news stories like this, where the female black community doubted her story immediately because the wig was left behind. It’s expensive, it’s her “crowning glory,” etc.

I know the kidnapping and the toddler and all the rest were lies.

What I’m missing is why her wig being left behind was a signal to her community that she was lying, and not instead a signal that she was believably kidnapped because she would never leave her hair behind?

Is it because it would take too long to remove during a hasty kidnap? Is it because she was trying to hide her now conspicuous identity? After all, her mother published photos of her without a wig so that people could be on the lookout for how she’d look while “missing.”

Is it because if someone were truly kidnapped by a person lying in wait by a highway, they would have just grabbed her immediately without taking time to undo her wig?

This is all because in the immediacy of when this story broke, her wig being ripped off is one of the things that made me think she’d been assaulted. Although the toddler on the highway struck me as inane right away.

Someone help me out. What am
I not grasping? I would call my friend and ask her point-blank, but she is in Georgia where her son is getting married soon.

TIA

I believe there are people who lie basically just to lie IMO.
I onced recieved a phone call at 1:00 a.m. from a cousin of my then husband. He was really excited and shared that he had won a million dollar jackpot in our state lottery! The only thing was.....he didn't. He eventually fessed up to family that he made it up.
Now why would someone tell family that they won the lottery knowing eventually people would find out he didn't??? To this day I don't understand it. He was just a lying liar who lies!
She reminds of the liar who lies to lie who when flat out busted in a lie won't admit it. You see this in LE interrogations all the time. It is a bit fascinating.

I can get behind this but for the 911 call.
That was the tipping point for me as well until I saw the interview with the parents. I thought she called 911 first and had it all planned out and then she called her brother's GF. That seemed super staged to me. But her mother said that she called the GF first (which she probably only ever intended to do) and the GF told her to stay in the car and to call 911. I have a feeling she ONLY called 911 because she figured if she didn't and the GF told her to, it would look strange.

If she had "screamed" on the phone with the 911 operator, then I would think she wanted a big public attention. But she hangs up with the 911 operator and resumes the call with the GF and then she screams.

I think she was just stupid in the moment.

I’ve only seen not heard her words minus the 911 call. I wonder how LE handled her during the interview. More importantly, how did she approach the interview? Did she use the filibuster tactic by talking through and over the investigator, believing she could avoid the allegation by using many words? Trying to control the narrative? I think that’s what LE did by announcing her dirty low down deeds. No way she could spin it her way after that. She doesn’t even have a motive except for pure selfishness.

Sounds like a fascinating job.

Thing with Carlee as an inmate, her commissary account would probably be at the max all the time. I wonder how that would work for her as an inmate.
It could go both ways. She could buy favors like protection. Safety in numbers. Or people could take advantage of her. Once they see her with supplies or food, it’s clear she has money on her books. It works like a kiosk. Inmates would do whatever they can to see her PIN number.

One of my dearest friends, whom I’ve known for 48 years, is black and helped me decades ago to understand the cultural significance of black women and their relationships with their hair.

This friend, when we were teenagers, had her hair straightened with a hot comb. She would never go in a pool or beach because it would make her hair behave in a manner she didn’t want.

In the 1970s, when we met, a lot of black people here in NYC chose to wear their hair naturally, which is when Afros were popular. As the years went by, other black friends would buy hair from women in India that was considered “good hair” and would be used for weaves.

Eventually some black friends started to buy those very expensive wigs, which is an ordeal to remove, from what I understand.

We can see in Carlee’s pictures from before this stunt that she had several wigs of different colors and styles. IMO this was central to the image she wished to craft, along with the gowns and bathing suit pictures.

I have now read several news stories like this, where the female black community doubted her story immediately because the wig was left behind. It’s expensive, it’s her “crowning glory,” etc.

What I’m missing is why her wig being left behind was a signal to her community that she was lying, and not instead a signal that she was believably kidnapped because she would never leave her hair behind?

Is it because it would take too long to remove during a hasty kidnap? Is it because she was trying to hide her now conspicuous identity? After all, her mother published photos of her without a wig so that people could be on the lookout for how she’d look while “missing.”

Is it because if someone were truly kidnapped by a person lying in wait by a highway, they would have just grabbed her immediately without taking time to undo her wig?

This is all because in the immediacy of when this story broke, her wig being ripped off is one of the things that made me think she’d been assaulted. Although the toddler on the highway struck me as inane right away.

I not grasping? I would call my friend and ask her point-blank, but she is in Georgia where her son is getting married soon.

TIA
Maybe on account of the glue being involved, they think an attacker removing it violently, would be likely to leave part of her scalp and/or blood with it.

Thus, their implication is one conveying that they think she sat there and leisurely took the time to loosen it before she left it behind.

Yes, poor research. I got the impression by the wandering toddler being inserted into the story, it might be assumed the child had also been kidnapped. I think that’s why LE was very quick to confirm that no child had been reported missing.
This is another hint or clue to me about her complete lack of awareness in this situation. She didn't compute that adding the toddler in would escalate it immediately. She could have said "There's a dog on the side of the road" and it wouldn't have blown up so quickly.

TIA

I posted this on the first page. This was my interpretation.

I could be wrong but I think it's because wigs are so incredibly expensive. If she was honestly kidnapped they would not have taken her wig off, they would have just grabbed her. Her taking the wig off is similar to her taking the Apple watch off. She left all her valuables in the car which makes no sense.

It would be like you trying to fake falling overboard on a yacht so you could sue the owner. But when they looked in your handbag on deck, they found that you took off all your jewelry and stashed it for safe keeping before you "fell" overboard.

Is her wig now evidence? Did she wear it proudly the day of her work? Did she assume she’d get it back with her phone once she mysteriously walked back into the arms of the boyfriend she was trying to get the attention of? Did she want a wedding ring for her birthday to go with the family she said she wanted?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member