AL - Carlethia “Carlee” Russell, 25, faked own abduction, Birmingham, 13 Jul ‘23 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO, Carlee needs a few weeks in jail…and extensive community service. And restitution that is tied to HER future earnings not her parents.

She needs to be grounded. She needs to experience some hardship. She needs to live among people who don’t worship the ground she walks on.
She needs to understand, that despite her pampered upbringing, the world does not revolve around her.

I am beginning to see in tweets and comments, real negativity toward her parents, especially her Mother. Unless we find out some details that we DO NOT know now, I think this is sad and unfair.

These people went thru Hell. I don’t know if we should have expected them to pronounce their daughter a lying Hoaxer on national TV when she first got home. But in retrospect, they should have never given that interview.

If, as some of us suspect, Carlee abused her Mother’s real estate position to gain access to a listing, there may be a real effort to keep that part of the story…secret. That revelation would even further the scope of Carlee’s reckless damage beyond the havoc she has already caused.
Yeah. I understand why they did the interview but there was something in their demeanor that made me think they knew it was all b.s. but were desperate to believe- and have the public believe - that the story was true.

I doubt this is the first time their daughter made up an elaborate story.

Indeed, they shouldn’t have don’t they interview.

As to the consequences, there’s a saying, something like “Give your child consequences or society will.”

I think society is punishing her in ways far beyond what a jail sentence can.

CR's Phone Call w Bro's GF? Intentional? Misdial?
....Iirc, Carlee's brother, his gf, all live with Carlee's parents. Remember mom stated the gf walked into the room mom was in to tell her about Carlee's call....
Snipped for focus @Cubby Thx for your post.

Interesting that CR was talking to bro's GF.
Did CR INTENTIONALLY dial---
--- bro's GF's cell number, hoping to reach her? IDK
--- bro's cell number, hoping to reach him, but bro's GF picked up his cell? IDK
....Or maybe bro saw who was calling, gave phone to GF to talk? IDK
--- house's landline (if there is one)? If so, who did she think would answer? IDK
---Possibly one of parent's cell phones? Kinda doubtful imo.

Or did CR MISDIAL, hitting a "contact" or "recent." Clumsy? Kinda doubtful imo.

AND
who, if anyone, did CR phone just BEFORE & AFTER her convo w bro's GF? Did she connect/talk, or just text?

BTW
IF her older bro & his GF live w his/CR's parents, I can see that as a major potential irritant to CR. Ditto, if it's just the bro living there. imo

Last edited:
I didn’t realize The National Computer Forensic Institute is located right there in Hoover, AL.

The United States Secret Service (USSS) in partnership with the Alabama Office of Prosecution Services operate the NCFI. The training model is based upon the USSS’s successful cyber investigative strategy, which relies on partnering with and sharing information between academia, private industry and law enforcement to combat the ever-evolving threat of cyber-crime. The curriculum reflects current and emerging trends in the field and addresses potential technological obstacles as they are encountered in active investigations.

Background​

In 2007, the State of Alabama approached the USSS and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with a proposal. Alabama agreed to provide the property and funds to construct a state-of-the-art facility if the federal government would fund the training and allow the USSS to operate it. An agreement was struck between the DHS, the State of Alabama, the USSS, the Alabama District Attorneys Association and the City of Hoover. In March of 2007, U.S. Secretary of Homeland Security Michael Chertoff came to Hoover to announce the foundation of the National Computer Forensics Institute.

I really don’t think it was appropriate or sufficient for her attorney to say “she made a mistake” when there was so clearly a lot of planning and premeditation behind the crime.

Also her family asking for prayers instead of forgiveness.

It all struck me as very inadequate.

Agree. Planned and premeditated. No mistake. She did this for a reason. Can't think of one single good one though that explains this.

Disappointed she didn't have the courage to face people herself and admit to what she's done and apologize but genuinely dont know why I'm surprised either.
Could have gone a long way for some people.
Heart broken for all those people who have someone they love who are missing. The daily pain, worry, fear, hope they face when faced with something like that is crushing, then you get this self entitled little madam hoaxing such a thing. Makes me mad.
What on earth did she learn as a child?!! Not a whole lot of good it would seem, jmo though.

Hypothetically…if she was contacting anyone, and they knew where she was during her ‘missing’ period, and did not inform LE. Or someone had contact with her and knew she wasn’t kidnapped, while LE and the public continued to search, is that enough to face some kind of charge…even a misdemeanor?
Wouldn't this depend on whether or not they were directly asked by police and withheld information?

Otherwise, I can't think of a charge that makes sense for someone who happened to know but opted to say nothing.
For the person that was asked where she was or otherwise was in contact with police and didn't provide info that she was safe, etc, then Obstruction of Justice perhaps.

CR's Phone Call w Bro's GF? Intentional? Misdial?

Snipped for focus @Cubby Thx for your post.

Interesting that CR was talking to bro's GF.
Did CR INTENTIONALLY dial---
--- bro's GF's cell number, hoping to reach her? IDK
--- bro's cell number, hoping to reach him, but bro's GF picked up his cell? IDK
....Or maybe bro saw who was calling, gave phone to GF to talk? IDK
--- house's landline (if there is one)? If so, who did she think would answer? IDK
---Possibly one of parent's cell phones? Kinda doubtful imo.

Or did CR MISDIAL, hitting a "contact" or "recent." Clumsy? Kinda doubtful imo.

AND
who, if anyone, did CR phone just BEFORE & AFTER her convo w bro's GF? Did she connect/talk, or just text?

BTW
IF her older bro & his GF live w his/CR's parents, I can see that as a major potential irritant to CR. Ditto, if it's just the bro living there. imo
Yes, very odd situation.

I was under the impression she called Brother's GF phone. Why? Wouldn't she just call her Mom or Dad directly?

How would she know the Bro GF would be able to walk into the room & tell her Mom?

Why just bring food for her mother, and not everyone else in the house? Did she not think to bring food for Dad?

Where was Dad?

Remember, this was all about 9 pm. Kinda late to be eating dinner.

At least LE has her phone and will know all about her phone /text log.

Yes, very odd situation.

I was under the impression she called Brother's GF phone. Why? Wouldn't she just call her Mom or Dad directly?

How would she know the Bro GF would be able to walk into the room & tell her Mom?

Why just bring food for her mother, and not everyone else in the house? Did she not think to bring food for Dad?

Where was Dad?

Remember, this was all about 9 pm. Kinda late to be eating dinner.

At least LE has her phone and will know all about her phone /text log.

I noticed this detail before and I saw it as a classic manipulative tactic. Essentially she's forcing the GF to back up her story as a witness. She's adding another layer to it. The girl didn't know what happened but all she had was what Carlee's telling her. So sometimes LIARS try to get someone else to validate their lie. It's vile and sneaky.

Logically she SHOULD have called her mother. If she was "on the way home with dinner" it would make sense to call her mother and say "I'm running late because I saw this kid on the side of the road." So why not call mom?

She's trying to drag an innocent person in as a "witness." People don't trust Carlee, but they trust the GF. When the GF conveys what she heard she's sincere. That's why everyone took it so seriously.

If she called mom directly mom would have asked her a bunch of questions.

If she called her ex boyfriend he probably wouldn't have picked up the call.
She's essentially creating a gossip train. GF tells mom, mom tells family, family contacts ex BF. So by the time it's gotten to ex BF it's not just another one of Carlee's lies, it's basically a crew of people legitimizing her claim.

Very sneaky.

I think IF this is the case, the public truly has a right to know. It falls under the mantle of safeguards for private property. This is why lockboxes and the process of having access has become so sophisticated in the first place. If there is a weakness in the system, it need to be known because it becomes a safety issue for agents everywhere. Imagine someone who plans to lay in wait for an agent gaining the same access? Definitely should be made public if in fact this is what she did.
Great points!!!!!!!

"I really wish they had taken action in League City like they did in Alabama early on. We may have some girls that are still alive," he said.
He said he was about to go to Alabama to help search for Carlee Russell when she was found. The case, according to police, appears to be the latest made-up story about a kidnapping.
READ: 'There was no kidnapping' | Police read statement on behalf of Carlee Russell, her attorney
"When we go on these and spend a lot of time and spend a lot of money when it should be going somewhere else, it's disturbing," Miller said.
Miller said that while he will always answer the call, he's concerned about "missing persons fatigue" among volunteers and donors who help fund search and rescue operations.
God bless Tim Miller and his team for all they do.

I noticed this detail before and I saw it as a classic manipulative tactic. Essentially she's forcing the GF to back up her story as a witness. She's adding another layer to it. The girl didn't know what happened but all she had was what Carlee's telling her. So sometimes LIARS try to get someone else to validate their lie. It's vile and sneaky.

Logically she SHOULD have called her mother. If she was "on the way home with dinner" it would make sense to call her mother and say "I'm running late because I saw this kid on the side of the road." So why not call mom?

She's trying to drag an innocent person in as a "witness." People don't trust Carlee, but they trust the GF. When the GF conveys what she heard she's sincere. That's why everyone took it so seriously.

If she called mom directly mom would have asked her a bunch of questions.

If she called her ex boyfriend he probably wouldn't have picked up the call.
She's essentially creating a gossip train. GF tells mom, mom tells family, family contacts ex BF. So by the time it's gotten to ex BF it's not just another one of Carlee's lies, it's basically a crew of people legitimizing her claim.

Very sneaky.
I agree that calling the GF was calculated. I wonder how long the GF/Fiance has been in the family? I wonder if she has known them all long enough to truly understand past issues the brother has had with his sister. It also, in a round about way, pits the GF against her brother. Classic.

BBM Interesting to note, her attorney says his client “was not in a hotel with anyone.” He doesn’t say she wasn’t in a hotel alone during the time she was “missing.”
She probably stayed at a 4-5 star hotel or with a ‘friend’.
I'm amazed that there was a large gathering for her birthday.

Yes. But that’s not much in the grand scheme of things. And if she’s convicted she likely won’t serve more that a few weeks. If that. Probably more like community service.
Her community service should include search and rescue work in AL. Especially for missing children. Also, helping and assisting in shelters for women and children. She needs to humble herself in so many ways.

Her community service should include search and rescue work in AL. Especially for missing children. Also, helping and assisting in shelters for women and children. She needs to humble herself in so many ways.

No way. I would never let this woman around children or around women in a shelter. She'll just use the experience to validate that she's "better than them" because she comes from money. She doesn't have humility.

She needs to do grunt work and manual labor. If it were me I would put her on a clean up crew with the "adopt a highway" people. This way she can walk through the brush and woods in the hot sun like everyone else did when they were looking for her.

My .02 : I admit I'm doubting the sincerity of this apology.
Also am very curious where Carlee was, while she was 'missing'.
Most likely not outside in the woods and in all of the hot temps, not to mention insects, etc.
So, where ????
Imo.
Omo.
Doubt she was out in those conditions, but who was? The PEOPLE SEARCHING FOR HER!! She had more than family and friends searching, she had strangers who didn't know her drop everything to search for her (in those cinditions) and she can't apologize and thank everyone??

She probably stayed at a 4-5 star hotel or with a ‘friend’.
I'm amazed that there was a large gathering for her birthday.

Agree, seems VERY inappropriate and rewarding her for her manipulation, theft, and lies to LE.

The lack of discretion about her birthday tells me CR will largely skip away without any sanctions from parents and that LE is on the right track by not letting up in the investigation of this CRIME nor in the assessment of the financial damages that agencies have expended on CR.

Yes, she has committed several crimes and needs to face the consequences as the now-26 year old woman.

I suppose depending on how far ahead she planned this (we know some of the searches were at least 2 days prior to her disappearing herself) it's possible she roped a friend into helping her out with picking her up and a place to stay for a couple of days. Her phone data will reveal everyone she called and/or texted in the days leading up to this, and I suspect that's a huge part of this ongoing investigation.

From all we know about this young lady, she doesn't strike me as the type to go all off-grid by herself & a box of cheez-its.
I'm fairly certain she had help, and was not alone those 2 days.

jmo
She would need a flashlight to navigate the dark woods. She left her phone, so in my opinion is that someone was waiting in the woods to help her find her way to their vehicle parked in the neighborhood backing up to the woods. JMO

Not really directed at you but just sort of bouncing off your post, there are some questions that just don't add up (of course they don't, because it's this case).

If she didn't have help and didn't stay in a hotel, what did she eat for 2 days and how did she obtain it?
Did she order take out and pay with cash she stole from the Spa?
Since she ditched her phone near her car, how did she place the take out orders?
Does she have a second phone & did she have it with her for those 2 days?
Or did she make another stop after ditching her car & phone and buy some groceries she took with her to this currently unknown location?

When I start wondering how she sustained herself those 2 days, it just makes more sense that someone was helping her.

jmo
Well, IMO there is absolutely no way she was in the woods for very long. The mosquitoes and ticks would have eaten her alive. She would have had swollen bites all over her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txtruecrimekat