AL - Carlethia “Carlee” Russell, 25, faked own abduction, Birmingham, 13 Jul ‘23 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
And so it continues. We will learn nothing from this.
She just bailed out of county jail. Next up is appearing in court to answer her charges. It's interesting that there's no news about her whereabouts for those 49 hours. Because,.. she was somewhere.

Carlee Russell’s defense attorney, Emory Anthony, on Friday said he expects the next step following the filing of two misdemeanor charges in her staged disappearance to be a court date sometime in October.

Hmmm . . . This may be the correct type of photo considering we’ve seen her glitzed up and we’ve seen an all natural photo of her. I’m sure in the days to come, this photo will appear again to folks who haven’t followed the case. Carlee looks like an average young adult with a slight smile. Not angry, not tight lipped, just a nice looking young lady.
I feel like it's the "oops, I did it again" face.

“Her decisions that night created panic and alarm for citizens of our city and even across the nation as concern grew that a kidnapper was on the loose using a small child as bait,” he said. “Numerous law enforcement agencies, both local and federal, began working tirelessly not only to bring Carlee home to her family but locate a kidnapper that we know now never existed. Many private citizens volunteered their time and energy in looking for a potential kidnapping victim that we know now was never in any danger.”

”Like any person who’s charged with something, she’s very concerned. She still has to address some issues,’’ Anthony said.

“Her parents are concerned about their child, the same way they were concerned when they went through the incident thinking she was missing,” he added.

”Nothing changes as far as being a parent,’’ he said.

“We don’t see this as a victimless crime,” Alabama Attorney General Steve Marshall, whose office will prosecute the case.

“There are significant hours spent, resources expended, and not only that, but the many men and women civilians who wore those yellow vests on a hot afternoon and in the evening looking for someone they thought was abducted, trying to be of assistance,” Marshall said

Last edited:
This 11 year old in Florida was arrested for similar actions, as a prank. Shes been charged with a misdemeanor and a felony.

“The girl, who faces felony and misdemeanor charges, later told law enforcement that a YouTube challenge inspired her to carry out the 911 hoax, which she thought "would be funny," according to the Volusia County Sheriff's Office.

She had said her friend was kidnapped by an armed man driving a white van, authorities said, but when deputies and officers from multiple police departments were deployed, along with an aviation crew, to search for the vehicle, "no van was found."

Authorities say the girl continued to text law enforcement with updates about the fake kidnapping over the next hour and a half. Those updates included "a description of the male suspect and that he had a gun," according to the sheriff's office. She is charged with making a false police report involving the use of a firearm in a violent manner, which is a felony, and misuse of 911, which is a misdemeanor.”

Authorities say the girl continued to text law enforcement with updates about the fake kidnapping over the next hour and a half. Those updates included "a description of the male suspect and that he had a gun," according to the sheriff's office. She is charged with making a false police report involving the use of a firearm in a violent manner, which is a felony, and misuse of 911, which is a misdemeanor.”
To me, this should be a felony. It’s very brazen and dishonest, and I guess it’s what the Chief meant when he said that unfortunately they were constrained within the current existing laws.

That mug-shot smile is bizarre but tells you plenty about who she is----and it is not a pretty site. I would like to see her get the maximum under the law, but I sincerely doubt that will happen. If she gets a slap on the wrist, she will have not learned about consequences.

That mug-shot smile is bizarre but tells you plenty about who she is----and it is not a pretty site. I would like to see her get the maximum under the law, but I sincerely doubt that will happen. If she gets a slap on the wrist, she will have not learned about consequences.
The DA insisted they intend to prosecute this fully, so maybe she will not in fact get off easy.

What’s next for Carlee Russell? Attorney says she’s ‘frightened’ after booking

Awww poor Carlee...1690633230280.png
What is she frightened of? Mommy and daddy made sure she didn't have to spend a minute longer in there than she had to. They were there to bond her out immediately, of course. Because why let your children experience the consequences of their own (very stupid & harmful) actions?
The tone and anger of the press conference really struck me.

Chief of Police Nick Derzis was visibly angry LE could not charge her with more serious charges. He is going to government to try to get that changed in the future. Alabama State's Attorney General Steve Marshall announced he will try this case himself.

The max CR faces now is up to a year in jail and a $6,000 fine. I don't think CR will get off with a just slap on the wrist.
There are too many eyes on her scam and potential trial. This will be interesting to follow.

JMO

ETA - grammar
I think each charge carries up to a year in jail. So she could get 2 years. I hope they throw the book at her and give her beyond the recommended time in jail... She needs and deserves some true humbling experiences, because her ego is through the roof, to the moon, and back again. Her parents' behavior in this has shown exactly why Carlee is the way she is - very much a vibe of "our little girl can do no wrong", giving her money to bond out, defending her to the teeth even though she is clearly an attention-seeking, spiteful toddler. Just my thoughts on things.

!That mug-shot smile is bizarre but tells you plenty about who she is----and it is not a pretty site. I would like to see her get the maximum under the law, but I sincerely doubt that will happen. If she gets a slap on the wrist, she will have not learned about consequences.
I agree. It seems her parents never cared to create a kind and independent child, and simply protected her from consequences of her own actions, which makes for an extremely dysfunctional adult such as Paul Murdaugh. these overgrown children seem to have extreme issues with taking any responsibility or blame when their own actions caused harm and suffering. even if the action is pre-planned and has malicious intent, such as Carlee's case, they still firmly believe they should escape the consequences because they feel they are special and different. that's what I have witnessed with cases like this!!
The DA insisted they intend to prosecute this fully, so maybe she will not in fact get off easy.
I hope you are right!!

Awww poor Carlee...View attachment 437732
What is she frightened of? Mommy and daddy made sure she didn't have to spend a minute longer in there than she had to. They were there to bond her out immediately, of course. Because why let your children experience the consequences of their own (very stupid & harmful) actions?

I think each charge carries up to a year in jail. So she could get 2 years. I hope they throw the book at her and give her beyond the recommended time in jail... She needs and deserves some true humbling experiences, because her ego is through the roof, to the moon, and back again. Her parents' behavior in this has shown exactly why Carlee is the way she is - very much a vibe of "our little girl can do no wrong", giving her money to bond out, defending her to the teeth even though she is clearly an attention-seeking, spiteful toddler. Just my thoughts on things.
I agree with your interpretation of this wench. As far as how much time she can receive I heard an attorney state that two years is all she can get- I don't believe the judge can go beyond that two year time.

Awww poor Carlee...View attachment 437732

I agree fully. If ever there was a case which warranted the most extreme penalty possible, it is this one.

I think the fact that the Chief and the DA seem riled up and determined to “prosecute fully” offers hope.

I wouldn't expect an 11 year old to understand the gravity of a prank, but one who is twenty-six-teen?

She should get the full weight of repercussions served to her. And not on a silver platter.

JMO

I am interested in the civil lawsuit side of this. Who would bring that suit, can a law enforcement agency do that? She doesn't have anything of worth at this point in her life but she may acquire more down the road. Maybe one of our ws attorneys can speak on how this works.

ETA Do we know if her car has been released?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member