AL - Carlethia “Carlee” Russell, 25, faked own abduction, Birmingham, 13 Jul ‘23 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Assuming she didn’t have a loan for her undergraduate degree in Psychology, community college tuition is very reasonable in Alabama. Alabama did not opt in on some federal programs on health insurance, so the exchange/options are not as great. For the majority of folks, you can’t be on your parents insurance once you turn 26.

It used to be 18 if you didn’t attend college or school after high school & 22 if you attended a four year college.

I really am just throwing this info in, I don’t think it has much to do with what happened.

Carlee has made an impact. moo

Jul. 31, 2023, 9:30 a.m.

Several Alabama lawmakers said they are working on bills to increase the penalty for reporting a false abduction, a response to the Carlee Russell case.

Russell has been charged with two misdemeanors for her false report. Legislators say stronger penalties are needed because of the amount of time and money that police, volunteers and others can spend in response to a false kidnapping report.
At least some good comes from this. It’s a shame that it wasn’t enacted earlier, in time for her to bear the real consequences.

“copaganda”
I've never heard of that term before, can you clarify what it means?
@Ontario Mom
FWIW, adding to explanatory post by @Shamrock1 (TYVM. You get post of the day prize for post w a portmanteau word.).
Some more info.

"Copaganda (a portmanteau of cop and propaganda) is a form of propaganda used to describe depictions of police in a positive (or excessively positive) light while obscuring negative qualities, most often through mass media, with the intent of swaying public opinion for the benefit of law enforcement.[1]

"Copaganda has been criticized for being detrimental toward minority groups and victims of police misconduct and brutality, for obscuring criticism of police regardless of validity, and for creating an image of police as infallible heroes incapable of wrongdoing...."
from ^ Copaganda - Wikipedia

Much more at ^ link plus at footnotes linked.
Wiki is our fren, well my fren anyway. :)

Last edited:
“copaganda”

@Ontario Mom
FWIW, adding to explanatory post by @Shamrock1 (TYVM. You get post of the day prize for post w a portmanteau word.).
Some more info.

"Copaganda (a portmanteau of cop and propaganda) is a form of propaganda used to describe depictions of police in a positive (or excessively positive) light while obscuring negative qualities, most often through mass media, with the intent of swaying public opinion for the benefit of law enforcement.[1]

"Copaganda has been criticized for being detrimental toward minority groups and victims of police misconduct and brutality, for obscuring criticism of police regardless of validity, and for creating an image of police as infallible heroes incapable of wrongdoing...."

That’s interesting, thanks! I never actually looked it up on Wikipedia - I always thought of it through the lawyerly lens of correcting common misperceptions of law/criminal procedure. It’s relatively easy to explain to a jury that sniff dogs aren’t always correct but quite another when the general public believes that pleading the 5th or asking for a lawyer equates to guilt. Looking at you, Eliot Stabler.

“copaganda”

@Ontario Mom
Some more info.

Thanks for sharing that. I find it's often a waste of time to "look it up" when it comes to slang type words since they tend to have MANY meanings.

Copaganda. And Wikipedia.
That’s interesting, thanks! I never actually looked it up on Wikipedia - I always thought of it through the lawyerly lens of correcting common misperceptions of law/criminal procedure. It’s relatively easy to explain to a jury that sniff dogs aren’t always correct but quite another when the general public believes that pleading the 5th or asking for a lawyer equates to guilt. Looking at you, Eliot Stabler.
@Shamrock1 Thanks for your response.
Agreeing re common misperceptions about law/criminal procedure.

Elliot Stabler??? Sounded familar but could not place him, so just Wiki'ed him (to try to narrow it down, w'out a gazillion irrelevant results).
"...fictional character, played by Christopher Meloni and one of the lead characters on the NBC police procedural series Law & Order: Special Victims Unit ..." Oh, him, yes.

BTW, as you know, but others may not, wikipedia is not perfect but imo is usually waaay more reliable than many other websites.
Esp'ly some sites w "wiki" in their name which are actually commercial sites, w say, celebrity updates, tabloid reporting, phony consumer product reviews, etc.
Names & addresses for legit wikipedia affiliated websites on specialized topics, at Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

The longer it goes where she won't tell LE where she was, the more I think she probably had help. MOO

Idk... She could have had help.

She could be hiding info if she stayed in a vacant listing. (I don't know what it would take to subpoena Supra keybox access records. That could be in the works)

Or, she could be enjoying a game of guess where I was for 49 hours.

I think her parents have had their hands full with her, for a long, long time. I don't think she has any remorse or regrets, other than how she appears. Even then, I don't think she really cares about any of it.

She could be hiding info if she stayed in a vacant listing. (I don't know what it would take to subpoena Supra keybox access records. That could be in the works)

I think her parents have had their hands full with her, for a long, long time. I don't think she has any remorse or regrets, other than how she appears. Even then, I don't think she really cares about any of it.

Agree she's enjoying guess where I was game. Keeps her being talked about - imagine she's loving every second of chat about her :mad:
Or
She can't say where she was and that she was able to look after herself, because that may mean she will need to be independent, move out and heaven forbid, grow up. :rolleyes:

moo

I think she might be saving all of that information to use in an eventual plea deal.

If there is an accomplice, CR might be trying to protect them as well.

JMO
ETA - Obviously everything she is doing and not doing right now is at the advice of her attorney.

Last edited:
I think she might be saving all of that information to use in an eventual plea deal.

JMO

I don't know if a plea deal would be offered to her. I think the long wait between LE's presser indicating zero evidence found, until she was charged was 'the window' for a plea deal. That boats sailed afaic.

The current law with what is being called lenient is probably the extent of what they'll offer.

I don't know if a plea deal would be offered to her. I think the long wait between LE's presser indicating zero evidence found, until she was charged was 'the window' for a plea deal. That boats sailed afaic.

The current law with what is being called lenient is probably the extent of what they'll offer.
If she’s a first time offender, she might get off easier because of that? Especially because these are misdemeanors. But I don’t know

Hate Crime? Sentence Enhancement under AL. Statute? Applicable to CR?
Considering CR’s claim she was kidnapped by a white man, could this possibly be enhanced to a hate crime? Is it not similar to the Jussie Smollett case?..
snipped for focus @neesaki
Good Q. (I’ll pass on making comparisons to Jussie Smollett case.)
Briefly, doubtful imo

Not so briefly, doubtful based on my interp of AL law below.* Welcoming clarification or correction.

THE LAW. Basically, if def't is found guilty of a crime, AL law provides sentence enhancement/add-on, IF prosecution shows BaRD (beyond a reasonable doubt) that def't's motivation in committing crime was victims' actual or perceived race (etc).
For a Class A misdemeanor, perp receives prescribed sentence for that Class A, PLUS minimum three month add-on, IF motivation is race-based.

THIS CASE. CR is charged w 2 Class A's, w max sentence, one year each.
IF she's convicted, & IF her motivation is shown BaRD to have been race-based, conceivably her combined sentence could be 2 yrs, 6 mos.
BUT
See sub sec. (b) stating the sentence add-on applies only when
"perpetrator committing the underlying offense was motivated by the victim's actual or perceived race."

Were the underlying offenses --- False Report to LE & False Report of Incident --- motivated to harm or injure anyone/someone based on race?
AFAIK, the underlying offenses were motivated by CR's desire to "cover up" her planned weekend disappearance (or depending on our POV, perhaps to gain attention of BF, parents, or increase number of her soc media views & subscribers).

JMO, ICBW. Welcoming other opinions and/or correction.

Section 13A-5-13 - Crimes Motivated by Victim's Race, Color, Religion, National Origin, Ethnicity, or Physical or Mental Disability
"(b) The purpose of this section is to impose additional penalties where it is shown that a perpetrator committing the underlying offense was motivated by the victim's actual or perceived race, color, religion, national origin, ethnicity, or physical or mental disability."
"...(c) A person who has been found guilty of a crime, the commission of which was shown beyond a reasonable doubt to have been motivated by the victim's actual or perceived race, color, religion, national origin, ethnicity, or physical or mental disability, shall be punished as follows:..."
"(2) Misdemeanors:
"On conviction of a misdemeanor which was found beyond a reasonable doubt to have been motivated by the victim's actual or perceived race, color, religion, national origin, ethnicity, or physical or mental disability, the defendant shall be sentenced for a Class A misdemeanor, except that the defendant shall be sentenced to a minimum of three months."

JMO
ETA - Obviously everything she is doing and not doing right now is at the advice of her attorney.
I find it difficult to believe that the police Chief, the FBI, and the Secret Service were unable to determine where she was for those 49 hours.
When they say, “We have no idea” it reminds me of the Moscow Police Chief saying they had “no idea” where the driver of the white Elantra could be; yet meantime, they were trailing Kohberger and preparing for his arrest in Pennsylvania. Law enforcement are allowed to lie in the interest of furthering an investigation, and often do.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JSlice
Back