Recovered/Located AL - Casey White, prisoner, & Vicky Sue White (Deceased), CO w/sher office, Lauderdale, 29 Apr'22 *Reward* #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm speechless.

Granted, I've lived all my life on the other end of the spectrum from a rural Southern town, (NYC). I've visited many rural areas, though, in every state except Arkansas and Alaska, (and I am sure I have more people living in my high-rise than there are in some of the rural towns), but a police chief! Getting paid practically nothing?

We can see from this Casey/Vicky case that at any moment, a mundane day can turn apocalyptic.

Who would want a job that, as you said, pays what a fast-food place would pay, but comes with so much risk and responsibility?

I also grant that the cost of living in these towns is much less than in NYC, but still it seems so demeaning to me. Anyone IMO with this title and authority should get paid an amount that is commensurate with the duties involved.

Jmo
It's a budget problem. Alabama is a poor state that doesn't generate enough revenue to sustain itself. Similar to other states in the same situation, they rely heavily on the federal government for subsidies to their school systems, roads, corrections, etc. They literally do not have the revenue to sustain their own services or to pay city and county employees a decent wage. You can't get blood from a turnip. IMO

ETA: The Federal Justice System is currently threatening to take over the Alabama DOC because of numerous, numerous issues. This high profile escape doesn't help matters any. Here's an article about the current situation.

Last edited:
Close to 200 mourners gathered beneath the sweltering Alabama sun as they were told to set aside the 'pain and trauma' of recent days and focus instead on the version of Vicky they thought they knew – 'real loved,' 'loyal' and 'a person who impacted on people's lives.'

Speaking to DailyMail.com Vicky's boss, Jason Butler, Director of Lauderdale County Correctional Facility, who attended the early afternoon funeral with his wife said: 'I think everyone is just tired and numb at this point. I choose to focus on the Vicky I know – she was a good friend and a good colleague for 16 years.

Attachments

• EA9577D1-A4FE-485D-864C-D5F25E97DB83.jpeg
    EA9577D1-A4FE-485D-864C-D5F25E97DB83.jpeg
    113.4 KB · Views: 17
No. People in prison have lots of ways of "meeting" new people. Inmates will "help" others by introducing them to people they know on the outside. For example, an inmate might ask his gf/wife to get one of her friends to write his cellmate.There are programs online for making pen pals with prisoners. There are Facebook groups for women who date prisoners to post who they talk to because many inmates have several ongoing relationships with people on the outside and these women want to make sure they aren't being "cheated on" or lied to.

Even before the internet, there were classified ads and newsletters for those seeking someone to write to.

When you're in prison, it is like time stands still and you're repeating every day over and over. Getting letters, making calls, etc is one of the few things that keeps them in touch with the outside and the real world, so they always find a way.
LOL-
Just thought of something I had forgotten about all these years.

Our local newspaper, years ago, did an article on aerobics, when the fitness centers first became popular and my picture and info was in that article as I was a member there for years

So one day at work, I receive a letter from an inmate
the article did NOT give my address but only where I worked

A week later, I received another letter from a different inmate

YIKES... it was strange indeed and my husband was NOT happy but just to point out that they do read news and do reach out to the outside world.

Back to VW and CW-- was Vicky's funeral today ??

I am trying to keep all the facts straight but this has been a mess with all the news reports that I have read. IMO

I personally know a town marshal(police chief), that as of 3 years ago makes $12 an hour. Granted his job is pretty mundane but I find it sickening that someone risk their lives forthe same amount you can flip burgers for,
You can't even flip burgers for less than $14.00 an hour here in CA. For employers with 26 or more employees the minimum is $15 per hour. Starting in Jan 2023 it will be $15.50. Granted the cost of living is higher here.

Close to 200 mourners gathered beneath the sweltering Alabama sun as they were told to set aside the 'pain and trauma' of recent days and focus instead on the version of Vicky they thought they knew – 'real loved,' 'loyal' and 'a person who impacted on people's lives.'

Speaking to DailyMail.com Vicky's boss, Jason Butler, Director of Lauderdale County Correctional Facility, who attended the early afternoon funeral with his wife said: 'I think everyone is just tired and numb at this point. I choose to focus on the Vicky I know – she was a good friend and a good colleague for 16 years.

I especially feel bad for VW's co-workers/colleagues and hope they take advantage of counseling services made available to them. Betrayal is very difficult to overcome -- it's not like you can prepare for it or defend yourself as it strikes! Good on them for using this day to focus on the person they once knew VW to be.

She’s obviously remembered with love.

I think for Casey to see the magnitude of grief two hundred people are feeling when remembering Vicky at her funeral will only deepen his sense of lost and how lucky he was that she loved him...sacrificing her sterling reputation and dying while trying to help him have a better life outside of prison. If there's any redemption to this story, Casey will turn his life around in prison helping others to have a better future. I think Casey's 2 year love relationship with Vicky has profoundly changed him for the better.

She’s obviously remembered with love.
It's all so odd. She is remembered as a good person by everyone who ever knew her, family, friends, co-workers, inmates, neighbors, lawyers. With the exception of the guy she fired, absolutely no one has a bad word to say about her. No one. In 56 years of life.

I can imagine her family, friends and co-workers are all bewildered by this bizarre turn of events. I can't imagine. IMO

Lauderdale County District Attorney Chris Connolly said he was stunned that Vicky White may have been romantically involved with an inmate. “I never would have thought that in a million years,” said Connolly, who spoke with Vicky White almost every day for 17 years.

He said Vicky White was “the most solid person at the jail.”

“I would have trusted her with my life,” he said.

[..]

Shortly before her disappearance, Vicky White sold her home for $95,550 – less than half the current market value. County records list the total parcel value of the property at $235,600.

[..]

“Clearly lots of planning went into this,” Connolly said.

During her time on the run, Vicky White became a fugitive with an arrest warrant in her name. She was accused of permitting or facilitating escape in the first degree, identity theft and forgery.

Singleton said he believes Vicky White “was basically the mastermind behind the whole plan.”

[..]

But former FBI Assistant Director Chris Swecker said he believes Casey White may have manipulated Vicky White. “This is not terribly unusual, that you have this guard falling in love with a prisoner who’s probably groomed her over a period of time,” Swecker said.

“So he obviously needed her. You would think someone with law enforcement experience – an assistant director of corrections in that county – would have thought a little bit farther down the line,” he said.

“She obviously lost all judgment over the last few months or so.”

There is an interesting article in the Journal of American Psychiatry and Law about transference and counter transference love occurring between corrections officers and prisoners, which may partly explain relationship development. (The authors think that these are similar to the psychodynamics long known to lead to relationships between psychoanalyst and client, and later extended to include other alliances, eg healthcare professionals and patients).

This is a Freudian way of looking at therapeutic alliances, which not everyone will accept.

The authors nonetheless highlight that corrections officers and their seniors need more education in order to recognise transference and counter transference, so as to prevent inappropriate bonding getting uncontrollably out of hand.

Love, whether or not springing from transference or counter transference, is perhaps not easily understood. Lust, or loathing, or filthy lucre, or love might motivate, but literature says love is the most dangerous, by far.

In my opinion, such intense love could well lead to loss of rational judgment. I am very sorry that Vicky lost her life. It is good that nobody else was hurt.

He'll probably get a lot of mail now. The groupies (and press) will be coming out of the woodwork.
Yes, and a lot of people from the mental health sciences will be highly interested in who he is as a person--and what exactly happened that led to Vicky and his romantic relationship...what they talked about and shared, and how they came to planning Casey's escape from prison.

I think for Casey to see the magnitude of grief two hundred people are feeling when remembering Vicky at her funeral will only deepen his sense of lost and how lucky he was that she loved him...sacrificing her sterling reputation and dying while trying to help him have a better life outside of prison. If there's any redemption to this story, Casey will turn his life around in prison helping others to have a better future. I think Casey's 2 year love relationship with Vicky has profoundly changed him for the better.
That's a lovely thought, it really is. But love, unfortunately, does not conquer bipolar disorder and schizophrenia. If it did, hardly anyone would require intensive treatment and medication.

I'm sure Casey is profoundly grateful for the love and concern Vicky showed for him but, unfortunately, that is not a cure for his mental disorders which will afflict him to the end of his days. All the love in the world will not alter the course of his mental illness. His mother can probably tell us all about that. She's likely been loving and trying to help her child for 38 years. It's not enough. It will never be enough. People like Casey need professional help. IMO

I agree. Really the whole thing about the copper color on the car was a non-issue as they managed to buy a blue pickup and abandon the Edge before anyone even knew they were missing. Once they did that they had at least 24 hours before anyone would catch onto their next steps. In reality, they had at least a week. And yet they drove only a couple of hours further then shacked up in a motel.

Once they had the pickup truck they could have outfited it with a nice attached tent and laid low for a few weeks far away from where they were.

Either they had a different plan that went sideways or they didn't have much of a plan past changing cars.

HRK01538_2000x.jpg
They might have been in a rush and focusing on spending time together at a Motel--not so concern with setting up a great escape plan that would have included leaving the area and homesteading in a different State or country. The sloppy vehicle swapping and staying within proximity to the jail break and Vicky's home town also indicates to me that they were not viewing the prison break with enough seriousness--otherwise, why not make sure you'll successfully get away and won't be found by the public or law officials before indulging in your honeymoon?

Last edited:
@Lilibet I cannot thank you enough for the gift from you Lilibet ❤️❤️❤️

I could read it! Things have not been going well for me lately.

I have been sobbing for the last half hour with my Angel dog and then I come on for one last look at the thread before going to sleep and then I see what you posted to me.

Not a big baby but just going through some heartache things in my life right now.

It is so true that an act of kindness, no matter what it is, can truly raise the spirit of a person.

You touched my heart with your kindness Lilibet.

All of my thankfulness and Respect to you.
1652569926044.png1652569926044.png

There is an interesting article in the Journal of American Psychiatry and Law about transference and counter transference love occurring between corrections officers and prisoners, which may partly explain relationship development. (The authors think that these are similar to the psychodynamics long known to lead to relationships between psychoanalyst and client, and later extended to include other alliances, eg healthcare professionals and patients).

This is a Freudian way of looking at therapeutic alliances, which not everyone will accept.

The authors nonetheless highlight that corrections officers and their seniors need more education in order to recognise transference and counter transference, so as to prevent inappropriate bonding getting uncontrollably out of hand.

Love, whether or not springing from transference or counter transference, is perhaps not easily understood. Lust, or loathing, or filthy lucre, or love might motivate, but literature says love is the most dangerous, by far.

In my opinion, such intense love could well lead to loss of rational judgment. I am very sorry that Vicky lost her life. It is good that nobody else was hurt.
This is an excellent post. In my doctorate program they pounded and pounded and pounded transference and counter transference dynamics into our brains. Daily. And this is why psychotherapists often have psychotherapists of their own. To examine any issues that arise on the part of the therapist in their relationship with a client. It's easy to get over-involved when you have no objective reality check in place.

Of course, a corrections officer would not have the benefit of this level of education and training and support. Most have a basic high school education (including Vicky), which is why it is so important to have so many checks and balances in the corrections system.

If Vicky had had a couple of people, or even only one, to provide her the feedback of appropriate reality testing, she may never have escalated to this single-minded folly. Someone to point out that she was inappropriately involved with inmates. Someone to point out the boundary violations. But no one in the system did. Because they were as ill equipped as she was to see the danger.

I don't applaud what Vicky White did, but I understand it. She was not properly trained, educated or monitored to be in the position she held. The system failed in protecting her from herself. IMO

It's all so odd. She is remembered as a good person by everyone who ever knew her, family, friends, co-workers, inmates, neighbors, lawyers. With the exception of the guy she fired, absolutely no one has a bad word to say about her. No one. In 56 years of life.

I can imagine her family, friends and co-workers are all bewildered by this bizarre turn of events. I can't imagine. IMO

I do think she was hiding something about herself. She willfully went about armed, like if she wanted to show her peaceful intentions (not that LE would have believe her) she could have left all her weapons and a note saying she just wanted to run away with CW and is now unarmed. I see her being heavily armed as a mortal threat to LE as well as innocent bystanders where it's not like what she did could be her just trying to save someone she thought was misunderstood.

That's a lovely thought, it really is. But love, unfortunately, does not conquer bipolar disorder and schizophrenia. If it did, hardly anyone would require intensive treatment and medication.

I'm sure Casey is profoundly grateful for the love and concern Vicky showed for him but, unfortunately, that is not a cure for his mental disorders which will afflict him to the end of his days. All the love in the world will not alter the course of his mental illness. His mother can probably tell us all about that. She's likely been loving and trying to help her child for 38 years. It's not enough. It will never be enough. People like Casey need professional help. IMO

I'm having trouble keeping up so I only skimmed, but in skimming, I found at least two references to Casey having bipolar disorder and schizophrenia. Just as an FYI because the media gets it wrong all the time, there is no such thing. People who have bipolar disorder with psychosis are diagnosed as bipolar disorder with psychotic features. People who have psychosis with mania (a key distinguishing feature of bipolar disorder), are diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder.

Does Casey have one of these? I don't know. But I can tell you that a lot of people in prison have some mental illness. But VERY few convicted murderers have legitimate schizophrenia. A lot of times, they're labeled as such because the symptoms of psychosis mimic the symptoms of drug intoxication/addiction. I don't know Casey's history and I don't know if any articles discussed the reason any diagnosis was made, but thought I'd weigh in because the media always seems to mess it up.

This also plays a role in teacher/student romances.

I'm having trouble keeping up so I only skimmed, but in skimming, I found at least two references to Casey having bipolar disorder and schizophrenia. Just as an FYI because the media gets it wrong all the time, there is no such thing. People who have bipolar disorder with psychosis are diagnosed as bipolar disorder with psychotic features. People who have psychosis with mania (a key distinguishing feature of bipolar disorder), are diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder.

Does Casey have one of these? I don't know. But I can tell you that a lot of people in prison have some mental illness. But VERY few convicted murderers have legitimate schizophrenia. A lot of times, they're labeled as such because the symptoms of psychosis mimic the symptoms of drug intoxication/addiction. I don't know Casey's history and I don't know if any articles discussed the reason any diagnosis was made, but thought I'd weigh in because the media always seems to mess it up.
I read that it was his mother who said he was diagnosed as bipolar and schizophrenic - I wondered if he received two different diagnosis from two different doctors.

Apparently, Vicky had a good relationship with Casey's family--also Casey's mother seems to support her son...hopefully, something positive will come from this tragedy. Casey's mental diagnosis may never change, but his actions and the way he thinks might.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JSlice