AL AL - Heaven Ross, 11, Northport, 19 Aug 2003

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
JOHNNY:

Thank you for your posts......please explain to me the Federal criteria which will enable a state to go ahead and issue the Amber Alert. Thank you.

Shae’s mother defends stepfather
Missing girl’s mom says he passed polygraph

By Stephanie Taylor
Staff Writer
August 29, 2003

Email this story.

Volunteer Don Horne of Northport searches a wooded area in Northport on Thursday for clues to the whereabouts of 11-year-old Heaven LaShae Ross.
Staff photo | Jason Getz

• Discuss this story

NORTHPORT | The stepfather of a missing Northport girl passed a polygraph test given by police Thursday morning, the girl’s mother said.

“They said that he’s been eliminated ó finally, after 10 days of Shae being gone," said Beth Lowery, who is scheduled to take a polygraph test at Northport Police Department at 9 a.m. today. “They’ve wasted a lot of time focusing on him."

Police would not confirm whether they believe Lowery’s common-law husband, Kevin Thompson, knows anything about 11-year-old Heaven LaShae Ross’s disappearance, and would not confirm that they gave him a lie detector test.

“We can’t make any comment on that at this time," said Northport Police Sgt. Kerry Card.

Lowery said that a private investigator working for the family administered polygraph tests to her and Thompson Wednesday night, which she said they passed.

Thompson took a test at the Northport Police Department for 2½ hours Thursday morning, Lowery said.

She said that they took a private test because the investigators had not yet given them one and because they believed they were being treated as suspects.

“We took it because, for one, the police were taking too long to administer our tests; two, because we wanted to go ahead and have ourselves cleared; and three, I was scared that they were going to try to trip us up and make us fail on purpose," she said.

Tracking dogs and volunteers on Wednesday searched property that Thompson’s mother and grandfather own in Fosters, Card said.

A team of search dogs and their handlers from Slidell, La., were searching the Brookwood area Thursday, he said.

“They were following up on a lead that led them to that area. This is just one of the hundreds of leads that we’ve received," Card said.

Lowery said she thinks her husband has been unfairly scrutinized since Shae disappeared.

“I think people have focused on him [Thompson] because he is a stepfather and because he is black," said Lowery, who is white.

Thompson was not available to comment Thursday afternoon. He was at his family’s house in Fosters checking on Shae’s Rottweiler, Princess Sheba, Lowery said.

Lowery said that police have questioned Thompson and his family members every day, but have not questioned anyone on her side of the family.

“No one’s interviewed me," her sister, Mary Battle, said.

Friday will mark the 11th day that Shae has been missing. She was last seen on her way to the bus stop on Hunter Creek Road, near her home in Willowbrook Trailer Park. Reward money contributed by local businesses and individuals has risen to $65,000.

“Whoever has her, please do the right thing and drop her off anywhere ó Wal-Mart, a convenience store ó anywhere ó and call to let us know where she is," Battle said.

Reach Stephanie Taylor at 722-0210 or stephanie.taylor@tuscaloosanews.com.

tthoman,

You didn't ask me, but I'll butt in anyway.
From http://codeamber.org/

What is an Amber Alert?

Each program establishes its own AMBER Plan criteria; however, the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children suggests three criteria that should be met before an Alert is activated.
  • law enforcement confirms a child has been abducted
  • law enforcement believes the circumstances surrounding the abduction indicate that the child is in danger of serious bodily harm or death
  • there is enough descriptive information about the child, abductor, and/or suspect’s vehicle to believe an immediate broadcast alert will help
If these criteria are met, alert information must be put together for public distribution. This information can include descriptions and pictures of the missing child, the suspected abductor, a suspected vehicle, and any other information available and valuable to identifying the child and suspect.

As I have said, everyone makes their own rules, and they can be subjective

Working on my Silver Ghost!!

A former neighbor snatched 7-year-old Tyra Knox off a Frayser street as the child played with a scooter, dragged her into a vacant house and suffocated her, according to police.

Tobias Johnson, 23, who formerly lived across the street from Tyra's home at 3567 Mountain Terrace, was charged Wednesday night in her abduction and slaying.

SOME OF THESE COMMENTS ARE BOTHERSOME

Memphis police charged Johnson with first-degree murder, first-degree murder in perpetration of an aggravated kidnapping and first-degree murder in perpetration of aggravated child abuse. He also is charged with aggravated kidnapping and aggravated child abuse.

Tyra was riding on the sidewalk in front of 3558 Mountain Terrace Saturday afternoon when she was pulled screaming from the scooter, according to a criminal complaint filed Wednesday evening by Homicide Sgt. Tim Helldorfer.

Johnson covered Tyra's mouth to prevent her from screaming as he dragged her and the scooter to a rear door, the charges state.

Once inside a rear bedroom, Johnson put his hand over Tyra's mouth and nose until she suffocated, the charges say. Then, according to the charges, Johnson concealed Tyra's body in the attic.

....running information down and some new leads in the Tabitha Tuders case .....I'll post some information that maybe we can get some help with. :D

The Other Missing Kids
They quickly faded from headlines and public attention

BAY AREA -- You have never heard much about Toni Clark, the 17- year-old girl who vanished mysteriously off the Bay Bridge eight years ago. Or Clark Handa, the 3-year-old snatched from his Fairfield bedroom 14 years ago under his parents' noses.

They were not like Polly Klaas or Amber Swartz-Garcia, or any of the dozens of others who became unlucky poster kids for the plight of missing children in the past decade or so.

Toni and Clark were just as gone, just as loved. But the difference is that they were largely ignored by the public and media. And they still are -- like most of the 150 other children snatched by strangers each year in America.

What makes one missing kid a headline when most others get nary a mention on the nightly news is a quirky, often infuriating mixture of luck, race, class and judgment. When everything works right, in those rare instances when a missing child gets publicity and is actually rescued from the horror of abduction, it all works well.

Most often, though, nothing works and the ending is grisly, as with the discovery of 12-year-old Polly's body in 1993 and, just last month, that of 15-year-old Lisa Norrell of Pittsburg, found dead after a one-week manhunt. Lisa's killer is still on the loose.

Or there is no ending at all, just endless waiting year after year.

And it is one thing to wait, with reporters or police coming to your door at least on special dates, as was the case with 13-year-old Christina Williams of Seaside, snatched last June, and with 9- year-old Michaela Garecht of Hayward, kidnapped 10 years ago. But it is quite another to wait alone. Like the parents of Toni and Clark.

``I don't care what anyone says, what anyone does, I am never giving up looking for my baby,'' said Gwen Clark of San Bruno, whose daughter Toni is 26 if she is still alive. ``I think she was abducted, by somebody wacko.

``My daughter's story never got the kind of notice it should have, but that doesn't stop me. I will never give up. She is alive.''

Toni was driving home after visiting a cousin in Oakland on March 16, 1990, when her Chevrolet Camaro stalled on the Bay Bridge just before midnight. Another car rammed the stopped Camaro, and when police came to check it out, Toni was gone.

The Coast Guard dragged the bay and found nothing. Police eventually phased out the case, figuring that Toni must have been knocked off the bridge by the car that rammed hers, then disappeared under the waves.

But to this day, at least five local and national missing-children organizations still carry her poster and take calls with tips. Quietly. Otherwise, she is mostly forgotten outside her family.

``I know she was taken off that bridge because she called me a week later,'' Gwen Clark said. ``I picked up the phone and for 40 seconds, I heard a female voice -- my daughter's -- crying and crying. I kept saying `Hello, hello,' and then the line cut off.'' The phone company could not trace the call.

A few newspaper articles were written about Toni, and then no more. But Gwen Clark, a struggling single mother with another daughter, 15-year-old Clarissa, kept hunting between shifts as a retail store manager.

She soon found, like the parents of other missing kids who are either minorities -- the family is black -- or older than 13, that public interest wanes fast.

``Gwen would put up posters around town, then come back later to find them ripped down,'' said Chris Wilder of the Vanished Children's Alliance in San Jose, which keeps Toni's case file open. ``Newspapers wouldn't write about it. People didn't pay attention, and law enforcement didn't act as diligently as we wish.

``We're convinced she was abducted. We think everyone else should have been convinced, too.''

Police in San Bruno, Toni's hometown, say they did everything they could. They helped bring the driver who hit Toni's car up on manslaughter charges in 1991, but without a body or conclusive evidence, he was not convicted.

``We can understand Mrs. Clark's grief, but we disagree with her,'' said Sergeant Craig McKee- Parks. ``We think Toni's body was swept out past the Golden Gate. It tears your heart out.''

It would be easy to blame the lack of community or media response to cases like Toni's on race, class, age and capricious media indifference, say law enforcement and other experts. And to some extent, the blame is justified. But it is not that simple.

``The most important thing is the community response,'' said Marylin Adair, manager at the Amber Foundation for Missing Children, formed after 7-year-old Amber Swartz-Garcia vanished from Pinole in 1988. ``If they pull together and start printing posters and putting out the word, organizations like ours start coming in, and it's like a storm gets going.

``But I can never figure out exactly why some kids get known and others don't. I think it's luck.''

Paula Fass, author of ``Kidnapped: Child Abduction in America,'' studied disappearances dating to the 1800s and concluded that -- in descending order -- the factors that determine publicity are attractiveness, race, age, and economic class.

``Attractive children, like Polly Klaas, will become a sort of poster child for missing kids,'' said Fass, who teaches history at the University of California at Berkeley. ``So do white kids, and anyone under 13 or 14. These children become the means by which our society shows it cares, and the fact is that kids who don't fit these descriptions don't fill the bill as easily in our society.''

She said that although missing girls seem to hit the news more than boys, both are equally likely to be publicized, as evidenced by the case of Kevin Collins, 10, of San Francisco, who was never found after disappearing in 1984. And the minority bias seems to be abating as the media and public get more sophisticated about missing-child cases, she said, pointing to the huge searches for Christina, a Filipina, and Lisa, a Latina, as examples.

Class comes into play because people who are middle-class or higher are more accustomed to working the system, experts said. This does not mean poor people never get publicity -- Michaela Garecht's parents were unemployed, for instance -- but they need community support more.

The cases that get the most media coverage are the most simply defined -- where it is clear that a bad guy snatched a nice little child. ``Any ambiguity, and it starts slipping down the charts,'' Fass said.

That is why runaways and parental abductions, the vast majority of child disappearances, do not get much notice, even though police and child-search groups treat them seriously. This is not automatically bad, said Ben Bagdikian, former dean of the UC Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism.

``Journalism is a matter of selecting a few things out of an incredible multitude of possibilities,'' Bagdikian said. ``There are hundreds of crimes every day, hundreds of accidents, hundreds of missing children cases, and it's impossible to cover them all.''

Most police agencies say they treat every missing child equally, as they are required to under a 1990 federal law that mandates that officers immediately launch searches. But the reality is that they cannot: Every year, there are at least 125,000 missing-child reports in California alone.

``We can't make a big deal to the media out of every case. It's impossible,'' said officer Patrick Mahanay of the Oakland Police Missing Person's Unit. ``If we did that, with all the runaways and other kinds we get, nobody would notice anymore.''

According to the California Department of Justice, only 81 of last year's 130,605 children reported missing were confirmed as snatched by strangers. Some 120,180 were runaways and 2,793 were abducted by relatives. Nationally, stranger abductions are pegged each year at about 150.

The stranger-kidnapping figures are vigorously disputed by groups like the Vanished Children's Alliance, which contends that the national figure is closer to 3,500. But even they agree that the stranger cases are always just a sliver of the total -- and very few get publicized widely.

Regardless of the number of cases, the other thing everyone agrees on is that only a fraction of child kidnappings get solved. And in most, a body is never found.

Sometimes the parents never give up, like Toni's. Sometimes grief consumes them, like the family of Mitchell Owens.

Mitchell was 5 in 1983 when he walked into his mother's room in their Menlo Park home and found a man raping her. Ora Owens screamed at Mitchell to hide as the rapist strangled her, but when she woke up two days later in a hospital, her son was gone.

``People didn't take much notice of that case either, maybe because they were black,'' said Wilder of the Vanished Children's Alliance. ``Ora kept looking for Mitchell for so many years, and then finally we just lost contact. The grief was very heavy on her.''

And then there are those who struggle to put the past behind them without forgetting.

Clark Handa's parents do not really talk about their son's disappearance anymore. The pain cuts too deep, said his uncle, Earl Handa, -- especially with the boy's birthday coming up tomorrow.

Clark was kidnapped Aug. 22, 1984, in the same way that Polly Klaas was: Some broke into his bedroom and took him. Clark's abductor left a ransom note but never followed up to collect.

``He's 18 now, if he's still alive,'' Earl Handa said with a sigh. ``We all miss him just as much as we ever did, but we don't talk about it. All we can do is mark his birthday in our hearts. We won't gather around and light candles.''

"continued article from above"

``He's 18 now, if he's still alive,'' Earl Handa said with a sigh. ``We all miss him just as much as we ever did, but we don't talk about it. All we can do is mark his birthday in our hearts. We won't gather around and light candles.''

Clark disappeared before there was the concern there is today -- it was nearly a week before posters and wide notice spread throughout the area. A few news articles bubbled up and faded fast.

``The search just kind of fizzled out, and then years went by, and they were never able to solve it,'' said Handa. ``This was all before the Polly Klaas case made everyone so aware, and my brother and his wife were shy, the last people in the world to talk in public. That all probably made a difference.

``But that's in the past. We try not to blame anyone. It's hard.''

Abduction cases are also kept so low because of the missing persons cases that are never solved.

Cases like Tabitha's etc. where they are believed abducted but are listed as missing......

More accurate statistics of childhood abductions could reach into the thousands...wouldn't want anyone to panic.....

I get very angry when people try to blame race, or economic background for lack of media attention. Jahi Turner got tons of media attention in San Diego, and he was a little African American kid, from a not rich family (I'm not going to dig all those links up and post them a third time, though). What makes the media grab hold is an unusual case, some skeletons coming out of a family's closet, or something that could happen to anyone. AND it takes the family following up-and I'll buy that a poor family doesn't have the monetary resources like an affluent one does, but I don't think Shawn Hornbeck's family was really rich, and look at them go.

People seem to forget, if the family won't grant interviews, or is too distraught to talk to anyone, the media isn't going to go too far, where's the interest?

Cases from six or more years ago didn't have the high speed internet going for it(it was still on the upsurge), and the cities just didn't share as much information. Over 20 years ago I posted flyers everywhere, trying to get information about my friend who was murdered. Her mother got on the news, printed flyers, offered rewards, everything possible (her father kind of ignored everything), but there was only so much you could do back then. (But I'll tell you, we did it)

Add to all that, when the police decide it's not an abduction (they are convinced Toni fell off the bridge and was killed or vice versa-they aren't looking for any killer), the family is lost. Many just give up and go away. Again, with the above friend who was murdered, the police decided it must have been this person who died a couple of years later, and pretty much closed the books. No real evidence, BTW, I think they just wanted the case gone.

Don't tell me it's race. That's crap.

What is true is that while one city categorizes a child one way another will treat a seemingly similar one like a runaway, and does a child deserve less attention because the family doesn't have the mental ability to push forward .............while I agree the Shawn Hornbeck people have done a great job, initially there were a lot of problems, etc. etc. etc.

And the group has quite a few intelligent persons who have lots of abilities that many don't (Craig and Chris both are computer programmers) Also the public many times isn't aware of what they can do or even if thay can do something and as you know we are allready behind and getting farther behind as time races forward in these cases.

While every case is somewhat different and some are similar ..I wonder why we can't have some common ground , such as the Missing Childrens Law Enforcement Guide which gives guidelines on how to handle these cases..........

Each case has to be judged independently of how it is was handled not lumped together.

Yet more importantly that we not be blinded by hindsight, but instead use foresight to insure that everything be expedited to insure that these missing persons are brought home as soon as possible and that whatever the cause for there missing that it be dealt with as swiftly as possible.

Unfortunately, unless the LE is willing to tell the family what they should do, and what rights they have, there will always be gaps.

All of my family own computers, yet few of them know what an Amber Alert is, or the criteria for one. Most wouldn't even know how to find it on the internet.

No, a child does not deserve less attention because the family doesn't have the mental ability to push forward, but children do not deserve to die because parents neglect or abuse them, and that happens, too. Life sometimes stinks.

But to blame it on race/economic/attractiveness(get real, here) is not realistic, and non-productive. It causes dissention where there should be none.

JOHNNY:

Thanks for the postings.....and the Crimson White & TusCcEMA sites.

As far as the race card etc. that never was my intention and not my torch to carry , moot point.

My intention was to post information so that others can provide there on editing not me. In order to have the best understatnding we have to look at all issues and decide for ourselves what needs to stick. We hopefully improve our views and abilities as we recognize improvements and quality. Of course some people may still be stubborn enough to be using Commodore computers.

As far as Shae's family I believe the mother is being overly critical of the police department and too defensive of Kevin and herself. While we were in Northport asssisting in the search efforts we noticed several problems but kept our focus on finding Shae. The mother seems offended that she and Kevin are being questioned and say it is because he is black, ?? The mother says her children think of him as there father? The sixteen year old brother who was physically abused and Kevin was arrestesd last year may not think of him that way (also they have had many arguements)

Even while the Tuders were at the trailer park talking to the family there were multiple incidents. The police came and took Kevin in for questioning and the mother got very angry making threats that she'd give the police a reason to arrest her pulling a knife from her pocket. Police were not present but five members of the Tuders family were in shock. Also when they said they were looking for blood in his car she was quick to point out that they would find blood but that it was hers (the mothers) blood that they would find because she had hit her head uhh eye.....now the story is Kevin and her may have fought in the car?? And it goes on and on and on... so the reason for them being suspects is one because as the statistics show most of the time it is a family member or friend and in this case there are some concerns..........still we aren't looking for the mother and Kevin but Shae an eleven year old child.

Again you have to start from the beginning and those who are around ...everyone is a suspect.....unfortunately thats one of the many tragedies that accompanies a missing child

JOHNNY:

Thank you very much for filling in the details.....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Painauchocolat2024
Back