AL AL - Heaven Ross, 11, Northport, 19 Aug 2003

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Great links Babcat! We were talking about the Paulk girl while we were in Northport, sounds like the second anniversary could've got the guy worked up and caused him to strike again? I'll make some calls and let them know where to look. We saw some areas that met the same desciption as in the Shannon Paulk case.

This is really curious!

Hi all, look I'm posting!
I'm the one that emailed Babcat yesterday. I'm glad you're going to point out the case to the authorities Johnny. It has really been bugging me.

Shannon was dumped on Public Hunting land about 15 miles from her home at the intersection to two roads that ran off US hwy 82. There is some Public Hunting land off 69 that runs straight off 82 near Northport.

The killer in the Shannon Paulk case had all day and likely knew it. The killer in the Ross case may have assumed he had all day because big sis would think little sis got a ride and the parents would assume that little sis made it to the bus stop. The dad showing up to give them a ride may have changed the killers plan to some degree.

Another thing, as I said earlier, both had older sisters that were somewhat watching them. Could it be someone both sisters know? You know ... "can't go anywhere today, gotta watch my little sister, blah blah etc."

The coincidences bother me a good deal. I was prepared to call someone myself so please make these points when talking to the authorities. I think the anniversary is significant. I always thought it strange that Shannon was the only one. This is a very unusual crime in this area and it seems that when something like this happens anywhere there is usually more somewhere, sometime.

Thanks for the help Babcat.

Hoping for Shae’s safe return
August 26, 2003

Email this story.

Barbara Matthews, a friend of the family, and daughter Samantha Balderson were among about 150 people attending a at a candlelight vigil for Heaven LaShae Ross Monday night at Willowbrook Trailer Park. They are looking at a paper containing a “prayer of hope," which was distributed at the vigil along with yellow ribbons and pictures of Shae that many people pinned to their shirts.
Staff photo | Michael E. Palmer

• Discuss this story

Heaven LaShae Ross was last seen walking to the bus stop on Hunter Creek Road from her home in Willowbrook Trailer Park.

Investigators had no new leads Monday, said Northport Police Sgt. Kerry Card, but they continued to search the area of the Willowbrook park with tracking dogs from Escambia County in Florida.

Nearly 70 volunteers helped search for Shae Saturday and Sunday, but the number of volunteers dropped to about a dozen Monday.

“We’ve got to get the numbers up so we can search all possible areas," said Kathy Martin-Spakes, director of the Red Cross of West Alabama. “It’s important for everyone who can to come out and do this because it could be their child."

Anyone who wants to volunteer, whether to help search or to answer telephones, can go to the volunteer headquarters at 1439 McFarland Blvd. in the former Gateway computer building.

Businesses and individuals have offered money for Shae’s safe return for a total reward that stands at $65,000.

Call 752-0383 to reach the volunteer headquarters. Investigators can be reached at 469-1380.

Hoping for Shae’s safe return
August 26, 2003

Heaven LaShae Ross was last seen walking to the bus stop on Hunter Creek Road from her home in Willowbrook Trailer Park.

Investigators had no new leads Monday, said Northport Police Sgt. Kerry Card, but they continued to search the area of the Willowbrook park with tracking dogs from Escambia County in Florida.

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20030826/NEWS/308260344/1005

I have spoken to persons involved in all three cases and was told that persons involved will be meeting to discuss the similarities in the cases, Shae Ross, Tabitha Tuders, and Shannon Paulk.

Shannon was located approx.17 miles north in the Autauga County Wildlife Refuge off Posey Road (6700 acres) on Oct. 6th by hunters.

Shae and Shannon both lived only blocks from Highway 82 just 90 miles from one another.

If you go 15 miles south on highway 82 you have the Talladega National Forrest (larger than Autauga)

Two days after the family of Shannon Paulk have a candle light memorial for Shannon then Shae comes up missing, Shae on a Tuesday and Shannon on Thursday, Both in August less than a week apart from the date.

OK people help fill in the blanks!!!

Why isn't there a thread for Shannon Paulk? Can we dig up some material on this girl, and start one for her?

Probably because she was found nearly a year ago. Although one could be started in the "Found" or "Unsolved and Mysterious" sections, since it has not been solved yet.

Shannon was lost and found two years ago. There never seemed to be much of a story, much less national attention. It was tragic in the area though and she will not be forgotten.

There was one arrest of someone in her neighborhood for child *advertiser censored* as indicated in one of the links in Babcat's post that the officials thought important. They never charged him in Shannon's dissappearance and I don't know where he went. Nothing more was ever said and it was definitely not considered solved.

It was as if she fell off the face of the earth for two months. I don't even know if it would go under "unsolved" because there are so few clues. I never even heard a c.o.d. That may be their only clue and they are holding it close.

The Ross case was just too close in proximity and similarity. I too think that Hwy 82 and national forrest or public hunting land is significant. The trailer park connection is there, older sisters, same age victims. You name it and it is Shannon all over again I'm afraid.

As I pointed out earlier, Shannon dissappeared on August 16 and Shae dissappeared on August 19. One was born in May the other in June. Both went by nicknames. Who knows how people think.

I will keep searching for similarties.

Parents Of Shae Ross Pass Lie Detector Test
Mother Hopes Results Will Shift The Focus Of Police Investigation

POSTED: 11:34 a.m. CDT August 28, 2003
UPDATED: 1:46 p.m. CDT August 28, 2003
NORTHPORT, Ala. -- The parents of a missing Northport girl have passed a lie detector test.

http://www.nbc13.com/news/2440409/detail.html

Good news about the lie detector tests, because they seemed to really be looking hard at Kevin the mothers boyfriend. While we were there they were looking for possible blood in his vehicle and the mother was very upset and defensive of Kevin, she stated that they would find blood in his car but that it would be hers because she had hit her head....uhh eye.

My belief is that if they aren't questioning you as a family member than they aren't doing there job! Everyone is a suspect until the child is found! EVERYONE!

Paulk Family Reacts to Arrest in Prattville
Email to a Friend
Printer Friendly Version

He has been a suspect in the disappearance of Shannon Paulk, almost from the beginning, and the Paulk family knows him. Jack Gibson lived just yards away from Shannon Paulk, the 11-year-old girl who was kidnapped and murdered last year. Gibson could face upwards of 1,000 counts of child pronography, after a search of his home by Prattville Police. He was known as the "Rootbeer Man" because he gave Rootbeer to children who would come over to his house, including Shannon Paulk. Beth Jett talked with Shannon's mother about the arrest:

Marie Paulk/daughter murdered: "I always had an uncomfortable feeling about him, being single and all the kids going over there, and I would tell Shannon not to go over there by herself, but she liked the Rootbeer.."

Marie Paulk says she didn't know Jack Gibson very well, but her children knew him. Marie's other daughter used to clean his house. Gibson is in jail charged with child *advertiser censored* and Marie is relieved.

Marie Paulk: "I feel more comfortable knowing he's not in the trailer park, because I'm still scared that whoever did this to Shannon is going to try it with somebody else's child."

Meanwhile, holidays are still tough for Marie, especially Easter and the special tradition she had with Shannon.

Marie Paulk: "I used to buy her baskets with porcelain dolls in it and I couldn't do that this year. Instead I had to start her with her porcelain doll collection."

She is Marie's granddaughter, Michaela Nicole, named after her late Aunt Shannon Nicole and born a few days after Shannon was laid to rest. Already, Marie has Michaela's Easter basket, trying to carry on a tradition that tragically ended when Shannon died at only 11-years-old.

Gibson has not been charged in the death of Shannon Paulk. The child *advertiser censored* cases against him will be presented to the next Autauga County Grand Jury. The Paulk family is trying to move on with their lives, praying whoever killed Shannon, doesn't get to another child. Gibson, who worked in the maintenance department at the VA Hospital in Montgomery, is being held on $410,000 bond.

August 16, 2002 10:10 P.M.
Candlestick Park Remembers One Of Its Own 1 Year Later

One year ago 11-year old Shannon Paulk disappeared from her Prattville home. Hunters found Shannon's body 2 months after she vanished in rural Autauga County. Investigators are still trying to find out who murdered her. Tonight, Shannon's neighborhood held a candlelight vigil to remember her.

"We're going to find the person who did this to our community and who did this to Shannon Paulk," says Prattville Mayor Jim Byard who stood before a crowd of about 150.

Joe Davis, a local minister, gave the family hope, hope that justice will eventually prevail. "We know eventually they will find him, and even if they never do, we also know that God gets the last word," says Davis.

Edna George doesn't even live in Candlestick Park and never knew Shannon, but she felt the needed to be here. She understands a mother's love. "I have a little girl and if I were to lose her it would kill me. I just had to come out to help support the Paulk family," says George.

For Paulk family members, they'll wake up tomorrow morning to begin their second year without Shannon, knowing the person who killed her is still free. "It's been a year and that makes me think they're not going to catch him, but I know eventually he'll slip up or she.. I don't know who it is, but they'll eventually get caught," says Tiffany Ferrell, Shannon's sister.

One person who stood out in tonight's vigil was Prattville Police Chief Alfred Wadsworth. The chief declined an interview about the status of the investigation but says he was there to support the family.

http://www.wsfa.com/Global/story.asp?s= 1158691

October 9, 6:50 p.m.
Shannon Paulk Update: Identification of Body Difficult, FBI Suspect Profilers Arrive

Investigators in the Shannon Paulk case say they're trying to avoid going to DNA testing to prove the identity of the body found this weekend, but it's clearly a struggle.

Detectives say the records a local dentist gave them yesterday weren't enough to make a positive ID, so they're asking him for more detailed information.

At the same time, investigators gave medical examiners nine new pictures of Shannon Paulk to see if they might help. If doctors can't make a positive identification, they may have to go to the DNA testing, but that would take 4 to 6 weeks to complete.

More help to find the killer arrives.

Investigators brought two specially trained search dogs to the crime scene at Posey's Crossroads. Handlers say the dogs were trying to find any trace of the victim, and equally important, anything that might tie into the killer. Any evidence they find will go to medical examiners in Montgomery.

More expert help came in at almost the same time. Two FBI behavioral scientists arrived in Montgomery this afternoon to look at the evidence. They say they'll try to find behavior patterns to get inside the mind of the person who committed the crime. They'll be in the lab and at the crime scene for the next two days.

Local Suspects Targeted

Local agents targeted several possible suspects in the area again today. They say they're eliminating people based on some facts they're not sharing with us.

However, they say the profilers who just came into town will help them zero in on a suspect that much more.

No Funeral, Memorial Planned

As for Shannon Paulk's family, a Eufaula newspaper reported today that Paulk's family was preparing for a funeral.

We spoke with Danny Paulk, Shannon's uncle. He says no such arrangements have been made.

Paulk says he recognizes it's a 99 percent chance the body is Shannon's, but the family is holding onto the one percent chance that it's not.

http://www.wsfa.com/Global/story.asp?s= 500869

Click on this site to see the place where they found Shannon Paulk!!!

October 8, 7:05 p.m.
Shannon Case Investigators Move on Several Fronts; Profilers Called

Police looking into the disappearance of Shannon Paulk say they've made good progress in checking new leads on possible suspects. The news comes less than two days after hunters found the remains of a young girl that they believe is the missing 11 -year-old from Prattville.

The field where the body was found is just off County Road 66 near Posey's Crossroads, seventeen miles from Shannon's home.

Police hoped they might use dental records to determine if the body is the missing girl's, but Shannon Paulk didn't have much dental work done. They now hope to use x-rays done on Paulk two years ago. If those x-rays are detailed enough, medical examiners could positively identify the body. If not, DNA testing may be needed, which could take six to eight weeks.

Investigators say this is a chess game they're playing with a suspect. But slowly, they're winning the game because they're getting more information each hour. And that's closing the loop on whoever killed the little girl. Investigators are putting several pieces in motion.

Detectives spent more time with the two men who found the body, and others are revisiting people on their list, checking old alibis and rumors. They think they're close to the killer. Really close.

"Most definitely," said Prattville Police Sgt. Robert Furlong, "We still think he's in the area, which is why we're working so hard to find him."

The public is coming through, too.

Furlong says they've gotten a number of calls about the crime scene and the trailer park where Shannon Paulk lived. "We've had sightings, people who were in the area who weren't normally in the area, people who were familiar with the trailer park, just putting pieces of the puzzle together, basically," Furlong said.

Part of that puzzle includes getting psychologists to look at the latest evidence. Officers booked plane flights for two FBI behavioral scientists to examine things like the rope and plastic found at the crime scene. Those specifics could shed some light on the suspect's background.

Montgomery FBI Agent Margaret Faulkner explains how that might work. "They may be able to tell how the rope was tied, what we talked about earlier. They may tell how tight the knot was, where the knot was positioned, things like that. They might be able to make a judgement call or a suggestion on how the person was feeling when he did this."

The FBI expects those scientists to come in the next couple of days. To get ready for that, agents are putting together a comprehensive package of all the evidence they've found, such as photos of the scene, the autopsy, and a list of people who may or may not be suspects, and their backgrounds.

Unofficially, these two people will spend a couple of days on the Paulk case, and we hear they will then return to working on wartime projects

Police Closing In On Suspect In Shannon Paulk Case

FBI agent Margaret Faulkner says they know who they're looking for in the Shannon Paulk case. All they need now is a name that matches the behavioral profile of a white male.. a loner.

"That may be a hard concept for the public to grasp, but it's not a hard concept for the people doing the investigating. Everyone leaves their signature at a crime scene," says Faulkner, a 24 year veteran in law enforcement.

11-year old Shannon Paulk turned up missing August 16th in Prattville. Last weekend, rabbit hunters found a body in rural Autauga County. Police believe it's Shannon, but a positive identification is needed to clear up all doubt. Faulkner knows what it takes to solve a crime and who has to help solve it.

"The public is going to be the one to solve this case for us because they are the ones that'll know these characteristics that we put out and make the public aware of," Faulkner says.

Investigators believe the suspect is probably acting a little strange right now. Police think he's acting nervous, irritable and may have left town, giving friends or family an unusual excuse. They also believe he's developed an intense interest in the status of the Paulk investigation by paying very close attention to news reports on TV and in the newspapers.

Trying to solve a case like this one is emotionally draining for investigators like Faulkner, but that's nothing compared to what Shannon's family has gone through. They are still waiting for answers.

"I pray. I watch the hurt and pain. You get emotional. You learn to deal with it." says Faulkner.

August 17, 11:00 p.m.
Shannon Paulk's Family Marks Unpleasant Anniversary

About 35 friends and relatives met at the grave of 11-year-old Shannon Paulk, marking the second anniversary of the Prattville girl's kidnapping and death. Shannon was abducted from the Candlestick Park neighborhood in Prattville.

At the ceremony Saturday, Shannon's aunt, Janette Davis, says the last two years have been very, very hard as the search for the killer continues. Says Davis: "Every day we wake up and hope today's the day that they'll catch him."

Marie Paulk, Shannon's mother, says they light candles for Shannon, wanting to keep her memory alive. Prattville police officer Bob Furlong, in charge of the investigation, keeps in touch daily with the Paulks. But there have been no arrests.

Two years ago, hunters found her body in a public hunting range in north Autauga County two months later. This was the second year the family held a candlelight vigil for Shannon.

Oct. 16, 2001/10:11 P.M.
Positive identification On 11 Yr. Old Missing Girl's Body

The Alabama Department of Forensics today officially identified the human remains found by hunters that of 11-year old Shannon Paulk.

It was no surprise to the people of Prattville and investigators involved in the case. Paulk's body was discovered Oct. 6th by 2 rabbit hunters in rural Autauga County. Paulk turned up missing August 16th. There was a feeling all along the body was Shannon, but only forensics could clear up all doubt.

The Shannon's Task Force has yet to turn up any definitive leads.. no suspect in custody, but they have an idea how the suspect might be behaving right now. Investigators believe he is a white male who is probably acting very nervous. He may've changed his normal routine, which might include missing work. He probably has developed a keen interest in the status of this investigation by paying very close attention to broadcast news reports and newspaper articles.

If you have any information that might be of some help to authorities, call the Prattville Police Dept. at (334) 358-4809

It's one of the most emotionally draining murder cases in central Alabama history - the death of 11-year-old Shannon Paulk. Her killer remains free nearly a year after the little girl disappeared.

One reason officers have had such a hard time fingering a suspect is the focus of part II of Chris Holmes' investigative report on sex offenders.

We've heard a sex offender tell us he'd like to move away from other offenders because it's too easy for him to get into trouble. But Alabama law and political pressure from potential neighbors won't let him.

Bill is a convicted sex offender. He says it just isn't right to lump all offenders into one category, or one small neighborhood.

"If a bad seed comes along and says let's go down this bad path, there's probably some weak ones who would follow just because they want to be part of a group."

Police say when sex offenders live too close together it makes the job of finding and charging crime suspects a lot tougher.

A point FBI Agent Margaret Faulkner agrees with. Faulkner is one of Alabama's most experienced sex abuse investigators. She says it doesn't matter if an offender is involved in child *advertiser censored* or has assaulted someone. One thing is constant.

"There is no rehabilitation for sex offenders. It's like an alcoholic. They most likely are going to offend again, unless they all have the same agenda, and that is to not offend," says Faulkner.

This is why officers say when sex offenders live near each other, problems follow. Typically, investigators say, offenders find each other, and become friends. They network and sometimes share sex related materials. Then, it progresses to something worse.

Lt. Robert Stone of the Montgomery County Sheriff's department says, "I t becomes a way of life for them. The next step logically is to step right into molesting children."

The Alabama Bureau of Investigation's Cpl. Lynn Rhodes says, "People normally don't just wake up one day and decide 'I'm going to rape a 12-year-old child.' It is something that progresses to that."

While it should be simple to solve such a crime, things change dramatically when there's more than one suspect in a small area. Officers say sex offenders will close ranks, even provide alibis for each other and that increases the possibility of violent crime.

Bill says, "I think a crafty individual would use that. The person actually doing something would be using that for cover to make it more difficult to find him."

Which leads us to one of the most preferred areas in Central Alabama for sex offenders - Prattville. According to public records, 38 convicts live here. One small mobile home park had at least three sex offenders living in it when someone murdered another resident, Shannon Paulk. Investigators haven't solved the case, despite several promising leads. Officers say it has been extremely difficult to investigate the little girl's murder because so many suspects lived nearby.

We don't want anyone to think we're singling out Prattville or central Alabama. This is a problem authorities all over the state know about and are talking about. What should we do about this problem? Law enforcement officers say they need to talk to lawmakers about a solution to protect innocent people, but it's going to be very hard to strike a balance between keeping sex offenders away from kids, yet providing enough room so offenders don't congregate, re-offend, and put others at risk

October 7, 2001 11:00 p.m.
FBI Investigating Young Girl's Death

FBI agents have joined local authorities in investigating the discovery of a young girl's body in Autauga county. Two hunters made the discovery Saturday near Posey's Crossroads in an area of the Autauga County Wildlife Refuge. The hunters say the girl was dressed in clothes similar to the ones 11-year-old Shannon Paulk (pictured) was wearing the day she disappeared from a Prattville neighborhood.

Authorities caution that they have not yet made a positive identification. That could take several days. But they are hot on the trail of a suspect. "Whoever was there, whoever left that body there, has left some evidence and that's what we're looking for," says FBI Agent Margaret Faulkner.

Investigators are trying to link the girl to her killer with the help of hair or fibers from clothes found at the scene. The examination is so complete, detectives can tie the smallest speck of evidence to a single person. "We can also tell a lot from how the body was left," says Faulkner. They'll be looking at the rope and plastic used to hide the girl and track where it was made and then sold.

Officers are also interviewing people who live near where the girl was found, asking them to search their memories for anyone or anything unusual. They're asking anyone who has even visited the area to call the Shannon Paulk Task Force at (334) 358-4809.

Paulk disappeared from Candlestick Mobile Home Park August 16th. Since then, her story captivated much of central Alabama. Her photos started showing up on T-shirts and posters and her friends and family held a candlelight vigil. Paulk was also featured on the national television program, America's Most Wanted.

Upon hearing news of the discovery, Paulk's family was obviously shaken. Their home was surrounded by friends and family over the weekend, but they did not speak with reporters. Some relatives still hold out hope the body found was not Shannon's

http://www.wsfa.com/Global/story.asp?s= 491947

Investigators now have descriptions of the cars they say were seen around the area from which Shannon Paulk disappeared. They say they have known about the specifics of the vehicles for some time, but they didn't want to go public with the descriptions until they conducted a search on their own, and they were sure the information was correct.

The task force is looking for a red Jeep Wrangler similar to the one pictured at left (IMPORTANT: This is not THE Vehicle, only one that looks like the vehicle). Investigators say it has a black interior, a soft black top and round headlights. They say the man they're looking for was seen driving the Jeep through Candle Stick Mobile Home Park two weeks before Shannon disappeared. They're also looking for a white or cream colored, compact car that has a license plate frame that looks braided. Those looking into the case say the witness was seen driving this light colored car near Shannon's trailer on the day she disappeared.

Investigators have also released more photographs of Shannon. The one of her sitting down was taken just two days before her disappearance.

Meanwhile, the F.B.I. says it's important to teach young people about stranger danger. Margaret Faulkner who is an F.B.I. agent says anyone who talks to a youngsters, even for a few minutes is no longer a stranger to them. "Our definition of acquaintance and stranger is where a lot of people have problems. Because to a child, a stranger is someone they don't know or have not spoken with... Someone who comes up to you and carries on a conversation with you for a while... they're no longer a stranger to you. They maybe a stranger to your parents but not to the child."

The Task Force says it's important for parents who live in the area to ask their youngsters if anyone has approached them recently, even if the kids were somewhere they weren't suppose to be. There just might be a clue there to help investigators find the witness they're looking for.

Authorities also have a description of the man they want to talk to about Shannon's disappearance. He's a white man with hazel eyes, brown hair and a brown mustache. He is believed to be around 35 to 45 years old. If you have any information that may help in this case, you are asked to call 358-4809...

Sorry for all the postings in a row I just think everyone needs to look at the increasing similarities....and also Shae's task force can have everything together the name for the group is "Heaven's Team"

Web site for Shae is www.Heavenross.com

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back