AL AL - J.B. Beasley, 17, & Tracie Hawlett, 17, Ozark, 31 July 1999 #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK so I asked my DH, who is an absolute expert on all things dealing with cars and trucks. He looked at the truck. He says it is a circa 1966 chevy. He said the shape of the door and the fact that the back of the cab is rounded are both total giveaways. I have attached a picture of a 1966chevy without a bed on it. The doors on it have the piece at the top of the doors that jut out and follow the line on the sides of the truck. See what ya think.

I think I did this right.

He also said that the light spot on the door could be a west coast mirror.

Attachments

• 13d78d13fcf.png
    13d78d13fcf.png
    281.9 KB · Views: 38
  • truck.jpg
    truck.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 54
Mid sixties Chevy is what came to mind when they first put the photo out, its what I thought of when I recently saw the photo again for the first time in a long time. Our family had one beck in the 70-80's it was a stepside.

This makes sense about the blood spatter, what I find interesting is that the bullet casing was precariously resting on Tracie's leg. This would tell me that the crime scene was not down some really bumpy dirt road...That confuses me. Unless one girl was killed at a different location (nearer to Herring) then the other?

Could be right? Perhaps Tracie was killed first to keep her quiet and out of the picture while JB was pursued and the attempted SA occurred . Yes I know there was no SA but I believe there was an attempt and he gave up until post mortem. :( AND I totally hate writing things like that.

Rest in Peace Girls !

Just short and speculation nothing more.

I had wondered about the determination that the murder occur else where with the blood pattern since the areas they searched were not that far from where the car and girls were later found.
Seems to me it would have taken time for the blood to seep through the bottom in order for it to be sprayed underneath in travel.

just guessing, but i would speculate that the one girl was killed not long after getting to the murder site. He kill her first inside the trunk to eliminate her and kept the other alive. The one that had semen on her.
The killing of the one soon after arriving, would have given extra time for the pooling of blood and the eventually dripping down and out and being sprayed underneath to indicate travel. Even at a short distance.

They we3nt to these other sites hoping to find a blood pattern that leaked to the ground from the trunk before it rained or whatever.

After he finished with the other girl, he placed her inside the trunk and shot her. By this time, after watching hearing her friend being murdered she was in a state of debilitating fear. A real nightmare.

This was a thrill killing, had more to do with creating terror and fear than anything sexual.

The witness that heard the shots...She mentioned two. If true, if she heard a bang and than a bang later on than the above could be possible. But if she heard two shots one after the other, either the first girl was shot twice instead of once upon arriving, or perhaps they were killed one after the other. I have not read the autopsy so i dont kinow for fact how many shots were fired.......I am not sold of the witness hearing any shots, so for now i will discount that statement.

I got to go back and read when the car was found after they left the payphone.
i thought it was within 2 or 3 hours now i don't remember.

Well, I'm gonna go ahead and throw my 2 cents in. I've known from the start that Dime Detective is one of 2 people concerning this case. In fact, I discussed it with DH when we went to Ozark to take pictures.

From the very first post that DD made I thought to myself- he is either local LE trying to get fresh ideas for a case too long grown cold, or he is researching for a future book.

Either way, I don't care. The bottom line is that this case be solved and the families of the girls get closure, along with some measure of justice for their daughters.

It doesn't matter what these girls were doing in Ozark that night, or whether they lied to their parents, bottom line is that they did not deserve to die the way they did.

If some little idea or tidbit I might come up with helps for this to happen- even if it is through a book that another person writes, then I don't care.

Because I only post random ideas and thoughts here. It will be DD that takes them and writes them down in a coherent, orderly fashion. I get so excited when I come up with something, and my ADD (yes, I have it) mind gets carried away and I just want to post it-NOW. He will be the one to take that idea should he choose to use it and write it out in a logical and precise manner.

I appreciate his thoughtful posts and the way he has presented all the information to us. I've been interested in this case since it happened. So for his interest to bring more attention to it- well I support him in this.

Well, I'm gonna go ahead and throw my 2 cents in. I've known from the start that Dime Detective is one of 2 people concerning this case. In fact, I discussed it with DH when we went to Ozark to take pictures.

From the very first post that DD made I thought to myself- he is either local LE trying to get fresh ideas for a case too long grown cold, or he is researching for a future book.

Either way, I don't care. The bottom line is that this case be solved and the families of the girls get closure, along with some measure of justice for their daughters.

It doesn't matter what these girls were doing in Ozark that night, or whether they lied to their parents, bottom line is that they did not deserve to die the way they did.

If some little idea or tidbit I might come up with helps for this to happen- even if it is through a book that another person writes, then I don't care.

Because I only post random ideas and thoughts here. It will be DD that takes them and writes them down in a coherent, orderly fashion. I get so excited when I come up with something, and my ADD (yes, I have it) mind gets carried away and I just want to post it-NOW. He will be the one to take that idea should he choose to use it and write it out in a logical and coherent manner.

I appreciate his thoughtful posts and the way he has presented all the information to us. I've been interested in this case since it happened. So for his interest to bring more attention to it- well I support him in this.

Good post! This is the best researched thread I have ever read here! With DD's wonderful research and the fact that you are local and helping with it is amazing! I really believe that all the elements are in place to help solve this case. Very good work going on here!

DD. Some of us have had bad experiences with book writers. So when we see it it sends up a red flag. I believe what you say to be true in your post 352. I felt the same way at first, but take it on a case by case situation. Your presentation along with others has been OUTSTANDING. Something so rare we see in cold cases. ALL the information you have provided with pieces of the puzzle has been tremendous and very much appreciated.. I for one am able and willing to look pass your acknowledgement and continue on. THIS time. But I was hoping you was a LEO. Getting a LEO to join in on a cold case is also EXTREMELY RARE

OK so I asked my DH, who is an absolute expert on all things dealing with cars and trucks. He looked at the truck. He says it is a circa 1966 chevy. He said the shape of the door and the fact that the back of the cab is rounded are both total giveaways. I have attached a picture of a 1966chevy without a bed on it. The doors on it have the piece at the top of the doors that jut out and follow the line on the sides of the truck. See what ya think.

I think I did this right.

He also said that the light spot on the door could be a west coast mirror.
I would turn that information in. Those vehicles i guess were not so many around at that time. Perhaps they know, perhaps they don't.........I would turn that in to the LEOS, just in case they are still thinking its a newer model truck.

I would turn that information in. Those vehicles i guess were not so many around at that time. Perhaps they know, perhaps they don't.........I would turn that in to the LEOS, just in case they are still thinking its a newer model truck.

My DH also agrees that is more than likely a tow truck. Ot seems to have those little orange lights going across the front part of the top of the cab.

Yea, I also thought that it was a late 70's model chevy.

At almost that exact moment, Ozark police officers found Beasley's black Mazda 929 just before 8:00 a.m., parked along Herring Avenue, about 30 yards from the James Street intersection, less than a mile from the pay phone Hawlett had used the night before. Though a residential street, the stretch of Herring Avenue where the car was found is houseless, flanked by dense woods on both sides. It is dark in the daytime and near pitch-black at night.

The above from first page.
I thought it was only 2 or 2 and half hours when they were found. Now I see for sure it was more like 7 and a half hours. From 1130pm to just before 8am. Don't know where i got the two hours for all this to happen. It may have well went on for hours before they were returned.

They should have searched further out for the crime scene. could explain the low gas.

Add on...to save space.
I know they said hawlett was put in first, and that beasley was on top and was the one found with the DNA.......But im thinking it was beasley put in first and then hawlett, and hawlett was the one with the DNA. The police have stated they know things only they and the killer would know. To prevent someone falsely confessing to the crime. I think this is part of that. I think beasley was killed not long after arriving at the murder site, to terrorize hawlett.

And that grease stain they mentioned, Did they test that. I am thinking it may had been more like hydraulic fluid than grease that you pack a bearing in.

Do we know if the DNA has been run through a national database? I know DNA storage/testing/ sharing has come a LONG way since its inception so I'm wondering how many cold cases have been run against national. I see shows all the time where the leave evidence sit for years in cold cases , then a new sheriff or detective comes to the job and pulls several old cases just for curiosity and runs them against the newer data bases and get hits . There is very little chance this perp went on to never commit another crime so if he's been convicted anywhere in the country, his DNA is on file. It just might be 8 states away.

Also since it is so old and probably not so ' secret' anymore as far as LE giving away their ' hand' so to speak( clearly they dont have much of one) I wonder if they would be willing to answer some of those questions via email? OR one of the reporters from the local paper at that time?
Just wondering out loud.

I'd also brought up this same question. Someone has to ask LE in what shape the DNA sample is in. They can narrow down characteristics such as what "family line" you come from and some pertinent info like skin/hair and eye color.

Could be right? Perhaps Tracie was killed first to keep her quiet and out of the picture while JB was pursued and the attempted SA occurred . Yes I know there was no SA but I believe there was an attempt and he gave up until post mortem. :( AND I totally hate writing things like that.

Rest in Peace Girls !

To tell you the truth I think it would have given more incentive for one girl to get away if she knew her friend was murdered. The "fight or flight" mode takes over after that. IMHO He kept one hostage and made the other undress, (doing whatever to himself he wanted pants up or down) threatening to shoot the other if she didn't take her clothes off. Then grabbed the undressed girl (trading positions) and accidentally got DNA on her.

That grease stain would make it more likely the white truck (if involved) would be a work truck. Now who would've been working that late on a Sat. night? Someone that owned a local business- had a job to complete and worked late.....someone that worked at one and was allowed to use the shop in their personal time, someone on call for a local wrecker service...hmmm...were call logs of local wreckers checkedfor that evening? Someone returning from a call and happened upon the B/L to grab a drink, or gas and there the girls were...that crime of opportunity angle...

An interesting point in regard to the speculation on tow companies, the grease stain, et al... One of the 'dead link' reports I found about people being arrested for impersonating a police officer in the Dothan area was in regard to a local mechanic. As the link was dead, I couldn't get any further info. I believe it was a TV news article from the past couple of years however.

I myself eat, sleep and breathe cars, owning a few collector cars myself. I've looked at the surveillance pic about 22 to the 10th power times and come up with a different conclusion each time. We really need to see a few more pics to try to 'fill in the spaces'.

Just this past month, Canada has implemented a new database for palm prints, and the RCMP are hoping that some cold cases will be cracked as a direct result.

Do any of our U.S. WSer's know if palm prints are included in your CODIS etc.?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story...nt-database-rcmp-criminal-investigations.html

respectfully snipped.

I looked up the CODIS system through the FBI's website and didn't see where they were using anything exclusively for palm prints or other latents in their identification system. However, say that they'd lifted a foot print or a palm print at a crime scene, and a suspect in the case matches said print. They will submit and allow that evidence into court. Example from NY in the Link Below.

http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/Palm-prints-evidence-in-double-slaying-668813.php

That grease stain would make it more likely the white truck (if involved) would be a work truck. Now who would've been working that late on a Sat. night? Someone that owned a local business- had a job to complete and worked late.....someone that worked at one and was allowed to use the shop in their personal time, someone on call for a local wrecker service...hmmm...were call logs of local wreckers checkedfor that evening? Someone returning from a call and happened upon the B/L to grab a drink, or gas and there the girls were...that crime of opportunity angle...

Yea, a bit back I'd theorized about the towing service about 8/10ths of a mile away from where the girls were found.. The service is on S Union street which is only a 17 minute walk according to google maps. However, who had access to their trucks..what types of trucks do they use, who was the owner at the time; are all questions that I have up in the air because I can't find anything useful on the internet. Plus, if it's a family business in a small town only God knew who was working that night.

Just another thing that hit me. Another "what if" situation
What if it was a service/tow truck driver that'd committed the murders, and since that was the tow service that the police used to do their impounds; and they just let the guy go? I mean, it's a lot to point fingers in LE's direction (I know that.) But small towns are small towns everybody knows everybody and very well could turn the other cheek for a friend.

Yea, a bit back I'd theorized about the towing service about 8/10ths of a mile away from where the girls were found.. The service is on S Union street which is only a 17 minute walk according to google maps. However, who had access to their trucks..what types of trucks do they use, who was the owner at the time; are all questions that I have up in the air because I can't find anything useful on the internet. Plus, if it's a family business in a small town only God knew who was working that night.

I completly agree. Anyone could have been working that night. A tow truck can be called for numerous reasons. Maybe they were called out to a wreck and weren't needed after all. Maybe they did repo and didn't find the vehicle they were looking for.

IDK just some thoughts.

I completly agree. Anyone could have been working that night. A tow truck can be called for numerous reasons. Maybe they were called out to a wreck and weren't needed after all. Maybe they did repo and didn't find the vehicle they were looking for.

IDK just some thoughts.

My theory is, "if Joe Schmoe from down the road came down and asked the Owner, "Hey ___, Do you mind if I borrow your truck tonight, I need to move that old car out front before I get a fine." And of course they know eachother or work together and the owner's like "Sure, fine, just put gas back in it."

Thanks! I am looking at the pictures. They looked colored in that spot...did you color them? Anyway, looking at those images...I am more wondering if those are signage on top of the gas pumps (or whatever the heck that pole thing is in front of the truck) and NOT on the truck.Looks like ot could be the topper/miny roof thing on a gas pump. Do we have anyother pictures of the Big/Little from that time, 1999? :twocents: The depth looks wrong to be on the truck.

If you're referring to the security camera pictures, I didn't - all I used were effects to make it sharper and less blurry. Another user (or was it you?) said that the logo looked reddish to them in the original picture (the one on page 3, not my version). When I zoomed in on certain pixels they had a greenish tinge to me. I assume this is just the way their b&w image works, it's normal and happens to some images. :)

The shape looks like it's on the door of the car, to me at least, it even seems to be a bit tilted as decal would. I could be wrong and it would be great if someone could confirm this.

Taking a look at the "trident symbol" on the truck door, what if it wasn't a trident but rather a fancy "W". There are quite a large number of businesses utilizing flat bed trucks in Ozark that begin with a W (as in a last name) or could have a W largely utilized (as in Wreck / Wrecking). I don't know of a website that shows the age of businesses. Can someone help?

I definitely don't think it's a trident (I used that name because someone else did, and it's easier to visualize) because one of the arms is so bendy. It has a vague trident shape but IMO it's not a trident (there's a difference between saying that a smilie has a circle-shape, and saying it's just a circle).

I can see how it would be a fancy W... I wonder if there were any businesses in the area that used it. I've Googled and there are so many different garages in Ozark alone, but very few have a proper online presence so I don't know what their logos were like. And let's not forget that it may have been any other kind of business. Maybe something that directly involved pick-ups, like moving or furniture, or maybe even just random unrelated publicity. It could also be a decal put there by someone just to decorate their truck. I hope that some locals can give us a hand.

If anyone has some spare time, please look at the pictures and tell us what you see!

By the way, is the last picture link working for anyone? I tried to click it but it won't open and takes me to random foreign tinypic sites. :|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cowboy89