Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
About the gas..
And this only applies if it was found with about an eight of tank left in it.
I am thinking, he may had had about a half tank of gas to use before it ran out. At that time of night I dont think he was interested in finding a station opened somewhere to put more in it to prevent it from running out.

He kept an eye on the gas gauge. He went out far enough to make sure he had enough to get back to where he took the car after beasley pulled over to let hawlett take a pee. He started with about a half went out about a quarter of a tank and stop somewhere in that area. He came back and used almost another quarter of a tank and left it with about an eighth left i am assuming. Those buildings where they were searching, i believe there are other dirt roads mud roads that you can travel on without getting stuck in a car that he could have taken further out about a quarter of a tank distance. Beasley may have been driving but he was keeping an eye on that gas tank meter.

But like i said, this only applies if there was only an eight or so amount of gas left in the tank.

If they still have the car. I would put about a half tank in it. and start from where it was found. And go out about a quarter of tank in the direction they think they may had travel and see whats out there.

Any locals could maybe check the Ozark public library to see if they had City directories on file for 1999. That might have some info about businesses.

Any locals could maybe check the Ozark public library to see if they had City directories on file for 1999. That might have some infow about businesses.

I am trying to find anyone that might have an old phone book. I know some older people that may have one laying around.

I asked these questions a page or two back but didn't get any bites. We are beginning to head in that direction now with the discussion so I will ask again.
Does anybody know what garage Barrentine worked at? Is anybody aware of any kind of 1%'er motorcycle club presence in Ozark or surrounding areas?

I asked these questions a page or two back but didn't get any bites. We are beginning to head in that direction now with the discussion so I will ask again.
Does anybody know what garage Barrentine worked at? Is anybody aware of any kind of 1%'er motorcycle club presence in Ozark or surrounding areas?

What is a 1% motorcycle club?

Have not heard where Barrentine worked . I just can't completely write him off yet.

Someone had asked about who had made contact first. Barrentine or the investigators. This should answer your question per the supportive link:

"
By Staff Reports
LATEST STORIES
Brundidge fights to keep local landfill out of Coffee County hands
A RUNWAY OF HOPE
Much hope in the new pope
Police Reports: Published 3.16
Frankly speaking of Southern comfort
Archived Story

Arrest made in
Published 12:00am Friday, September 3, 1999
Email Comments

Ozark murders

By MICHELLE J. WILSON

Staff Writer

Published Sept. 3, 1999

OZARK – An Ozark man has been arrested and charged with two counts of capital murder in connection with the Aug. 1 slayings of two teenaged girls.

Johnny William Barrentine, 28, of 110 Young Ave., Ozark, was arrested at about 9 a.m. Wednesday, said Ozark Police Chief Tony R. Spivey at a press conference here Thursday morning.

Barrentine is charged with the murders of Tracie Jean Hawlett and J.B. Hilton Beasely, both of Dothan. The 17-year-old Northview High School seniors were found shot to death in the trunk of Beasely’s car on the afternoon of Aug. 1. The suspect lives within walking distance of where the girls’ bodies were found, Spivey said.

Beasely was the daughter of Lanier Beasely, who owns Ed’s Barber and Style Shop in downtown Troy.

Barrentine is being held in the Dale County Jail without bond, Spivey said. He had an initial hearing Thursday.

The arrest was made by officers of the Ozark Police Department in conjunction with the Alabama Bureau of Investigation (ABI) and the Dale County Sherriff’s Department, he said.

Barrentine’s arrest resulted from information gathered by investigators Tuesday, Spivey said. He refused to comment on the nature of the information due to the ongoing investigation.

The suspect was questioned by officers at the Ozark Police Department Wednesday, and his arrest followed that interview, he said."

http://www.troymessenger.com/1999/09/03/arrest-made-in/

"The $200,000 bond was posted A-Advantage Bonding Inc. of Dothan" ~~
The people who posted John Barrentine's Bond would know the exact location of his work. After all, they have to have someone's employment information on file so they know who to collect from. Also,according to the article the "3 months in jail" seemed to have caused him to lose his job.

Link:
http://www.zoominfo.com/#!search/profile/person?personId=53679398&targetid=profile

Also, I think along the same lines of DD. Barrentine was probably a welcome distraction for the real killer. Barrentine was a simple person trying to help and got in over his head.

"The $200,000 bond was posted A-Advantage Bonding Inc. of Dothan" ~~
The people who posted John Barrentine's Bond would know the exact location of his work. After all, they have to have someone's employment information on file so they know who to collect from. Also,according to the article the "3 months in jail" seemed to have caused him to lose his job.

Link:
http://www.zoominfo.com/#!search/profile/person?personId=53679398&targetid=profile

Also, I think along the same lines of DD. Barrentine was probably a welcome distraction for the real killer. Barrentine was a simple person trying to help and got in over his head.

For those of you that have been on other threads with me that are cases from this area, you know that I post links from Rickey Stokes News- an internet news blog. I often say he is as accurate as MSM here even if he can't spell :) . This same Rickey Stokes owns that bail bonding company.

What is a 1% motorcycle club?

Have not heard where Barrentine worked . I just can't completely write him off yet.

To put it simply 1%'ers are motorcycle clubs who are into bad things. There is a reason I am asking this but will refrain from going down that path for now.

My gut tells me Barrentine is not the killer however it is pretty obvious to me that he knows something. I just read an old article last night where one of the girls father said something to the effect that " although the case against Barrentine was dismissed he clearly has information about what happened"

I think if they had not discovered that semen Barrentine would still be sitting in a jail cell today and this case would be long forgotten.

For those of you that have been on other threads with me that are cases from this area, you know that I post links from Rickey Stokes News- an internet news blog. I often say he is as accurate as MSM here even if he can't spell :) . This same Rickey Stokes owns that bail bonding company.

Well, I guess we're in luck, hopefully. As long as it's not a breach of contract. :) HIGH FIVE :yesss:

Last post for tonight...
But I was thinking about what the LEO said about the night. He stated it was pitch-black. Which to me means you cannot see your hand in from of your face. So unless the killer had some illumination in the area he took them to either from there or the sky it was pitch-black. He either did everything with the headlights on and or a flashlight in one hand and the gun in the other. There were no indications from what i read that either girl was in bondage. So with it being pitch-black outside they could have mad a run for it in different directions and than just laid down somewhere until sunrise. But they didn't do that.

Maybe they did make a run for it together, and found some shack, barn shed something in the darkness to hide. That would explain why they had mud on there shoes and briers and wetness from the calf on down to there shoes but nothing to indicate they laid down in the mud and wet grass. But he found them, and marched them back to the car. Had one get in the trunk and shot her point blank. Now he had only the one.

And I am wondering, if he brought the bodies back instead of leaving them where he shot them was because in doing so would have been a BIG clue as to whom done this?...Did not want to leave them on the property and being to dark to see, he left them in the trunk and brought them back to where he took them.

Last post for tonight...
But I was thinking about what the LEO said about the night. He stated it was pitch-black. Which to me means you cannot see your hand in from of your face. So unless the killer had some illumination in the area he took them to either from there or the sky it was pitch-black. He either did everything with the headlights on and or a flashlight in one hand and the gun in the other. There were no indications from what i read that either girl was in bondage. So with it being pitch-black outside they could have mad a run for it in different directions and than just laid down somewhere until sunrise. But they didn't do that.

Maybe they did make a run for it together, and found some shack, barn shed something in the darkness to hide. That would explain why they had mud on there shoes and briers and wetness from the calf on down to there shoes but nothing to indicate they laid down in the mud and wet grass. But he found them, and marched them back to the car. Had one get in the trunk and shot her point blank. Now he had only the one.

And I am wondering, if he brought the bodies back instead of leaving them where he shot them was because in doing so would have been a BIG clue as to whom done this?...Did not want to leave them on the property and being to dark to see, he left them in the trunk and brought them back to where he took them.

LE had said that the girls were shot somewhere else because of lack of blood spatter and pooling in the trunk. I believe that's also in DD's notes a few posts back.

Last post for tonight...

It makes sense to me that he didn't leave the girls bodies where they were killed because it might lead LE back to him.

But I really don't think he got the girls on Herring st. That is just not in a location where the girls would have been-not IMHO. You just have to be there to see what I mean. I think if any other members have been there, they will know what I mean. It's secluded and out of the way.

We're working on which Garage he worked at. As far as I can tell there's not a big "motorcycle gang" present in Ozark. There is only one motorcycle and boat dealer in the area.

Does anybody know what garage Barrentine worked at?

From the Chronology of Events, "Barrentine Unable to Raise Bond," November 21, 1999:

A search warrant was issued for Daniel's Auto Repair in Ozark, where Barrentine had worked part-time before the murders took place.

http://goo.gl/maps/HOnIj

Daniel's (now closed) is nearly 5 miles from the recovery site. I'm looking up to see if I can find old photos. Also, my caffiene is kicking in zzszzzipawww! lol

American Towing (Daniels Auto Repair), 4017 Andrews Avenue, Ozark, AL:

6de0b09d-992f-4f99-96a6-003e04961d6b.jpg

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4017-Andrews-Ave-Ozark-AL-36360/2122746851_zpid/

I don't know if this matters or not but the same address for Barrentine's old workplace also used to be "American towing"

http://local.yahoo.com/info-14842856-american-towing-ozark

Great work, jenstar. In the photo I just posted, I zoomed in on the logo featured on both the side of the truck to the right and the banner on the front of the building; it looks like "American Towing."

Let's see if we can find out what this business was called in 1999.

Does anyone think the logo on the side of the dark truck above could be what we're seeing on the passenger door of the white pickup in the B/LS surveillance photo?

Gr
Does anyone think the logo on the side of the dark truck above could be what we're seeing on the passenger door of the white pickup in the B/LS surveillance photo?

Snipped.

Honestly, I don't think so... the logo on the side of the black truck (also on the signs on the wall) is basically two small things (flags?) in a sort of \___/ shape. There's nothing in the middle, while the logo on the surveillance picture has a rather tall 'arm' in the middle in a sort of trident shape as someone else described. The one in the surveillance video is also a shorter arm, a longer one, and finally one that is taller than the first and shorter than the second and rather bendy. I would describe it as a more |_|_| shape, where each arm is of a different length and in the case of the last one is also a different shape. It reminds me of a cartoon cactus.

However, it looks like there's something blurry (in the auto repair photo) between the two things, I wonder what it is and if maybe they could have changed their logo slightly between the time of the surveillance picture and now, such as making the 'arms' shorter and getting rid of the thing in the middle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cowboy89