AL AL - J.B. Beasley, 17, & Tracie Hawlett, 17, Ozark, 31 July 1999 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know about any connections, that would be very interesting to find out. It's just the conclusion I came to after reading everything I could on the case as well as participating here.

I originally thought they might have been looking for pot or something. Then I realized maybe Dothan would have given more access to that but sometimes it's easier in a smaller town. I'm not trying to slander or roll the victims in the mud here. They were two teenage girls and teenagers do that sorta stuff. I did it and unfortunately I've had to deal with my teenage kids doing it.

If Johnny B is dead, I sure wish LE or at very least a reputable reporter would interview the wife. Her truthfulness on that night would clarify everything and either close the case or exonerate him. I suppose it could just leave us with more questions, but until then it's a shot.

Also the other suspects (out of state), was there a known connection to Johnny B? Some of you mention your beliefs as to him witnessing but not shooting. Explain more of this if you can. What basis do you have for this? I don't rule that out but I don't subscribe to that theory (yet).

There are rumoured connections I believe between out of town suspects and the Barrentine family but I will not repeat them here as they are obviously unconfirmed. Have to dig deep into the wiregrass forums and other forums for those details.

I just read some old newspaper articles on this out of Gadsden and Tuscaloosa archives. Funny... I didn't see his wife defending him. His mother, siblings and even his boss seemed to defend him. Just for argument's sake... has anyone found where the wife defended him? I'm not asking in a facetious way. SHE would know more than ANYONE as to whether his story jived that night. In my opinion... the key to solving this case COULD possibly rest with her. I'm not sure I even know here name or status.

Also... the KEY to exonerating him and his possible involvement COULD rest with her. Just felt I should add that to be fair.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...2QpAAAAIBAJ&sjid=Z8kEAAAAIBAJ&pg=4872,1360502

This link to an old newspaper article is interesting. It states that it was Barrentine's wife who first made contacted investigators regarding Barrentine's suspicious behavior on the night in question, not Barrentine himself.

Thanks for this. I knew I read it somewhere.

I've said it before and I'llsay it again. I would absolutely love to see that 4.5 hr interrogation. Do we have confirmation it was videotaped?

From Whatliesbeyond boards:
The police were under intense pressure to make an arrest, Kominos contended and that pile of reward money kept growing. It grew enough to lure in Barrentine, Kominos alleged. “Well, they started. They questioned. And questioned. And questioned. Four hours,” the lawyer said, punctuating each sentence with a moment of silence. “It's all on video and the questions turn from questions to accusations. From accusations to suggestions.”
-So it sounds like a videotape of the questioning exists.

Seems like I remember an interview with LE where someone stated Johnny knew details only the killer or a witness would know. If so, I wonder if LE charged him too quickly. Maybe he needed more of the carrot and less of the stick.

From Whatliesbeyond boards:
The police were under intense pressure to make an arrest, Kominos contended and that pile of reward money kept growing. It grew enough to lure in Barrentine, Kominos alleged. “Well, they started. They questioned. And questioned. And questioned. Four hours,” the lawyer said, punctuating each sentence with a moment of silence. “It's all on video and the questions turn from questions to accusations. From accusations to suggestions.”
-So it sounds like a videotape of the questioning exists.

Seems like I remember an interview with LE where someone stated Johnny knew details only the killer or a witness would know. If so, I wonder if LE charged him too quickly. Maybe he needed more of the carrot and less of the stick.

BBM The original investigator of the AL Bureau of Investigations stated that Barrentine was able to identify the girls clothing and other things pertinent to the case (I don't believe that is the direct quote, but it is pretty close). He apparently saw the girls that evening to be able to do that. I have a feeling they tried for the length of the interview to get more info out of him, but the clothing description and whatever else he was able to provide was probably all he could offer. There was likely other key info that he could not provide or things he should have known if he was the killer that he did not know.

Chief Spivey stated that the district attorney's office made the decision to charge him. Obviously, they lacked the evidence to even get an indictment much less take the case to actual trial. The DNA found on Beasley did not match that of Barrentine. It is my opinion only, but I can't help believe that tilted the grand jury in Barrentine's favor and caused them not to indict him.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...2QpAAAAIBAJ&sjid=Z8kEAAAAIBAJ&pg=4872,1360502

This link to an old newspaper article is interesting. It states that it was Barrentine's wife who first made contacted investigators regarding Barrentine's suspicious behavior on the night in question, not Barrentine himself.

Good to have you here Bulldog23

From that article
DA Emery disputed Barrentine's claims, saying he did not seek out police, but authorities found him after talking to his wife.

From my understanding, the contact with the wife came after John went looking for a surveillance video from the store the night of the crime. That behavior was reported, tag probably jotted down, they visit his home, him not there, talked to the wife, etc.

I read somewhere that he gave LE a name early on which was dismissed because the guy had an alibi. If true maybe Emery was not aware of this fact. Difficult to see in more than one direction with blinders on, it seems they were firmly fastened at that point.

Good to have you here Bulldog23

From that article

From my understanding, the contact with the wife came after John went looking for a surveillance video from the store the night of the crime. That behavior was reported, tag probably jotted down, they visit his home, him not there, talked to the wife, etc.

I read somewhere that he gave LE a name early on which was dismissed because the guy had an alibi. If true maybe Emery was not aware of this fact. Difficult to see in more than one direction with blinders on, it seems they were firmly fastened at that point.

BBM Yes, he did. It was one of several stories he told LE during the now infamous long interview before he was charged. He first pointed the finger at a stranger (the guy with multiple tattoos who probably didn't exist) claiming that he had watched the guy execute J.B. & Tracie. After LE saw through that scheme, he later claimed that one of his neighbors was the killer. The neighbor reportedly had an alibi.

I've never been able to prove it, but I have always felt that Barrentine went to the same neighbor's house where there was an informal party on the night of the murders and the girls were there. That is where he actually saw them and and how he was able to identify their clothing and other things. It is MOO only, but I think he had a very good idea of who the killer was because of what he observed that night. Sadly, he probably could have could have aided LE if he had just chosen to tell what he actually saw and heard instead of making up the wild stories like he did. If he had gone forward and told them the truth he in all likelihood would never have been charged thus saving himself a lot of grief.

Again, MOO.

Hello everyone. I am not exactly new here, but it's been a long time since I've been on and this is only my second post. I have taken the past 2 days to read through this entire thread, both 1 and 2. Running ideas through my head as I was reading.
IMO I agree that they went to a party in Ozark which is where they met their killer. I think maybe they stopped at the party before calling home. I also believe they might have called home saying they were lost to buy them more time at the party.
I also believe that Beratine(I think I spelled it wrong) knew who did it. Maybe he happened upon it on his way to or from the store. The killer may have threatened to kill his wife or child if he ever told which may be why he never actually told the truth.
These are just thoughts going through my mind and I may be way off base.

There are two former police officers accusing the Ozark PD with covering up the murder and both former LE say a policeman did it. Maybe Barrentine figures into this case one way or another, maybe he is just not right in the head, either that doesn't matter. You have two credible witnesses saying LE is involved in this murder. That is where I think the focus should be for now. They are not being evasive either, they are naming names for everyone to see.
On a side note, I was extremely happy to see the new developments in this case. I have followed it for years and being from that general area I absolutely believe that LE is capable of doing this. I hope these girls get justice and that Ozark PD pays a heavy price.

Too Curious, do you have links to where the former officers are making these accusations?

Too Curious, do you have links to where the former officers are making these accusations?

http://henrycountyreport.com/blog/2...d-jb-beasley-and-tracie-hawlett-16-years-ago/
http://henrycountyreport.com/blog/2...uption-and-coverup-of-beasley-hawlett-murder/

I think that is actually 3 different former officers. The next link is Jacqui Burgoon on video. This is the first time I heard that the girls pockets were turned inside out.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...TGLy9qLRins1dYq2Q&sig2=rlTnays0zOjk3D5FmlyIwg

You can't believe a thing the Henry County Report says. It is one guys blog. It is lies and misleading. He put JBs sister through heck with his lies just last month. THCR is not even close to being mainstream media.

You can't believe a thing the Henry County Report says. It is one guys blog. It is lies and misleading. He put JBs sister through heck with his lies just last month. THCR is not even close to being mainstream media.

I am not relying on anything that THCR has said. That is a taped interview with a former police officer, unless you are suggesting he made the person and the interview up?? The interview with JB's sister seems to indict police as well. This is not relying on the accts of media when there is a person on record detailing their first hand experiences with Ozark PD.

I watched the interview with the former officer. I took away that he believes there were some suspicious actions/ statements by other officers at the time, but he had no first hand knowledge of the murders. The license on the dash certainly lends some credence to the police/ police impersonator theory, but I'm not ready to put my eggs in that basket just yet.

According to Allen Forrest's (Bookie's) video, the girls asked for directions to Midland City so obviously they were headed in the direction of Midland City/ Ozark. JB sister said the person they were speaking to on the payphone from Headland was a friend and that has been checked out. Whoever they spoke to was the first link in the chain that set them on a path to Ozark so I would certainly take a look at the person to whom JB spoke and anyone who was with or this person that night.

Also, in her interview JB's sister says that JB told Bookie they had taken a wrong turn and ran into 2 white dudes with shirts off that started following them; however, in his short interview Mr. Forrest said he did not remember telling anyone that. That doesn't seem to be a detail that one would forget. Could it have been another witness that said that, Ms. Merritt perhaps? If so and they were being followed later in the night, that certainly could help focus the investigation. Were there any witnesses that place the girls at the informal party in Ozark? If not, how did this theory emerge?

I watched the interview with the former officer. I took away that he believes there were some suspicious actions/ statements by other officers at the time, but he had no first hand knowledge of the murders. The license on the dash certainly lends some credence to the police/ police impersonator theory, but I'm not ready to put my eggs in that basket just yet.

According to Allen Forrest's (Bookie's) video, the girls asked for directions to Midland City so obviously they were headed in the direction of Midland City/ Ozark. JB sister said the person they were speaking to on the payphone from Headland was a friend and that has been checked out. Whoever they spoke to was the first link in the chain that set them on a path to Ozark so I would certainly take a look at the person to whom JB spoke and anyone who was with or this person that night.

Also, in her interview JB's sister says that JB told Bookie they had taken a wrong turn and ran into 2 white dudes with shirts off that started following them; however, in his short interview Mr. Forrest said he did not remember telling anyone that. That doesn't seem to be a detail that one would forget. Could it have been another witness that said that, Ms. Merritt perhaps? If so and they were being followed later in the night, that certainly could help focus the investigation. Were there any witnesses that place the girls at the informal party in Ozark? If not, how did this theory emerge?

The theory police were involved has been there from the start but is getting more refined as more people come out. The first time I saw the parties mentioned were by the reports from the former officer. As was the first I heard about the tapes, the break in after the murders, and the pockets being turned inside out. There are so many different avenues this case can take that IMO they should focus on one, prove it or disprove it, then move to another.

I am not relying on anything that THCR has said. That is a taped interview with a former police officer, unless you are suggesting he made the person and the interview up?? The interview with JB's sister seems to indict police as well. This is not relying on the accts of media when there is a person on record detailing their first hand experiences with Ozark PD.

You can believe what you want, but I have trouble with the credibility of anything that comes from HCR and John Carroll. JBs sister started out believing this nutcase but it didn't take her long to figure out what was really happening and she has banned him from their FB along with another nut, John Caylor. Caylor has tried to interject himself into the case locally.If you see anything posted anywhere by him, you shouldn't believe that, either. I'm just trying to give you some advice as a local , but you can believe what you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member