AL AL - J.B. Beasley, 17, & Tracie Hawlett, 17, Ozark, 31 July 1999 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This case is is light on details, I almost don't see how anyone can have a strong theory unless they have some sort of insider information. At this point, I feel like the actual truth could be any one of about fifty different scenarios.

Here is what we know for sure, I think:

J.B. and Tracie set out to go to a field party in Headland, BUT change their minds by the time they get to Citgo. Now, they're going to Halesburg to meet a guy (at a party?). J.B. gives her directions to the Headland party to Bookie (who gets there). J.B., in return, gets verbal directions on a more efficient route from Bookie.

J.B. and Tracie get lost in Ozark and give up on finding the Halesburg meeting place. They stop at Big Little.

Tracie calls her mother. J.B. gets verbal directions on how to get back to the highway to Do than. Tracie sounded normal on the phone. The woman at Big Little noticed nothing amiss about the girls or the car (for one thing, no mud).

Big Little, by the way, is closed. For some reason there is a truck parked at the gas pump.

J.B. is last observed pulling out onto the road going in the correct direction to get to the highway.

The girls are reported missing.

Ozark police find the car on Herring. The keys are gone. The gas tank is on empty (is car out of gas or just low on gas). They see girls' purses in the car. They fart around with the car for about five hours before one of them figures out how to open the trunk.

They find J.B. and Tracie.

Exactly. As a former police officer, I can tell you this is a case of missed opportunities. When I first read about this case, the first thing that jumped out at me was the crime scene. The car containing the bodies was found at approximately 8am, but the bodies were not discovered for 5 hours. According to reports, several police officers were seen walking around the car and even going inside it. Also, during this time, probably some citizens walked up the road and by the car, possibly touching it. By not finding the bodies for several hours, LE lost its ability to get tracking dogs on the scene. Bloodhounds could have followed a trail from the car to possibly a home or a car parked nearby. Or at a minimum, they could have followed a trail indicating which direction the killer went after abandoning the car. Missed opportunity #1. Also, there is a very good chance the killer had mud on his shoes (just like Tracie) and left muddy footprints on the road or grass beside the car. If so, the hot AL sun probably dried up those prints after a couple of hours. Missed opportunity #2. Was JWB ever re-interviewed about what he actually knew, saw or heard? Probably not. Ozark PD didn't even know he was dead until JB's sister told them. If they had approached him in a nonaccusatory way, maybe he would have told them something. Hopefully, the Cold Case Investigator from the AG's office did that. If not, missed opportunity #3.

Then there are some things LE couldn't control. The killer, by moving the car from to the location the girls were shot to Herring Ave., denied the investigators a chance to search the area for more clues such as footprints, shell casings, perhaps more semen, etc. Also, the location could have given LE a clue as to the killer may be. By that I mean the land could be linked to the killer in some fashion.

O.k., this way they treated the car makes NO sense.

If they think it's just a car and not a crime scene, why all this interest in it. My neighbor would let me get in and out of his parked car a bunch of times if I asked, but I would never ask that because that would be stupid. It's just a car. So, why are OPD goofing around with J.B.'s car like it was a novelty? (They were not looking to see who owned it before anyone says that, it had a license plate so they knew.)

If they believe it is a crime scene, then I just ... What in the heck?

Their behavior makes no sense either way.

In light of what went on concerning the car, maybe the grease stain was not left by the killer, but by a random person as the car was an interactive roadside exhibit for a while?

TedMac, you bring up a good point about dogs. Granted, the shenanigans that went on around the car after it was found cause some problem, BUT...

Couldn't the dogs have trailed J.B. and Tracie's scents? They'd obviously been outside the car before they died. Of course, it is possible they were never walking around Herring, but it seems like it would be worth a try... Unless the dogs would keep turning and going toward the car...

After the Elisa Lam search, some questions were asked about dogs. It was said then that even with all the criss crossing scents in and around the hotel, the dogs should have been able to find her (I don't want to go into that case except to say there were more unrelated scents there than around this car), so wouldn't dogs have still been worth a try?

Just to keep it straight, they were going to a party in Haleburg, stopped in Headland (where they gave "Boo-key" their directions) then headed to Midland City where they were to meet a guy.

In light of what went on concerning the car, maybe the grease stain was not left by the killer, but by a random person as the car was an interactive roadside exhibit for a while?

TedMac, you bring up a good point about dogs. Granted, the shenanigans that went on around the car after it was found cause some problem, BUT...

Couldn't the dogs have trailed J.B. and Tracie's scents? They'd obviously been outside the car before they died. Of course, it is possible they were never walking around Herring, but it seems like it would be worth a try... Unless the dogs would keep turning and going toward the car...

After the Elisa Lam search, some questions were asked about dogs. It was said then that even with all the criss crossing scents in and around the hotel, the dogs should have been able to find her (I don't want to go into that case except to say there were more unrelated scents there than around this car), so wouldn't dogs have still been worth a try?

I don't think the girls were outside of the car on Herring Ave. However, the killer obviously exited the car there and ran away. I doubt anyone would have been around the car from the time it was dropped off to the time the officer first arrived. But as the day went on, I'm sure more and more people walked by it.

Ive seen tracking dogs work. They are amazing in what they can do. However, in this case they would have tracked a scent from the car. After several people had been around the car, it would have been impossible for them to pick up the correct track.

Yes... my neighbor has a hound that tracked my 8 pt for a mile through the thickest woods

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Just to keep it straight, they were going to a party in Haleburg, stopped in Headland (where they gave "Boo-key" their directions) then headed to Midland City where they were to meet a guy.

How does all this fit in with what we have been told about them only having a small amount of time to even go to one ridiculous, out of the way field party. This is a lot of meandering around and I don't see how it fits with tight schedule that is supposed to be part of this story, but I think it just can't have ever been.

There has been a lot of discussion about the night the girls were murdered recently, and to my thinking, these are the possibilities: (1) JB and Tracie were killed by a stranger (Be it a rogue cop, serial killer, or local with an opportunity), or (2) JB and Tracie were killed an acquaintance who had a more traditional motive (jealousy, potentially exposing a secret, etc..) I happen to think the 2nd scenario is more likely (MOO).

At this point, the best chance for this to be solved is through the DNA match. So my question is this: Are there any other potential suspects-that any of us know of- who have not been ruled out through DNA testing? And, if someone on this board or elsewhere was able to identify a suspect, would law enforcement be willing to dialogue and tell us whether or not the person was eliminated by DNA? TedMac, I bet you know who I'm thinking about...

There has been a lot of discussion about the night the girls were murdered recently, and to my thinking, these are the possibilities: (1) JB and Tracie were killed by a stranger (Be it a rogue cop, serial killer, or local with an opportunity), or (2) JB and Tracie were killed an acquaintance who had a more traditional motive (jealousy, potentially exposing a secret, etc..) I happen to think the 2nd scenario is more likely (MOO).

At this point, the best chance for this to be solved is through the DNA match. So my question is this: Are there any other potential suspects-that any of us know of- who have not been ruled out through DNA testing? And, if someone on this board or elsewhere was able to identify a suspect, would law enforcement be willing to dialogue and tell us whether or not the person was eliminated by DNA? TedMac, I bet you know who I'm thinking about...

Yes I believe I do know who you are referring to.

It is very odd how the DNA evidence seems to have been treated. The semen found on Beasley did not match DNA from JWB or the "Man from Michigan" yet according to Chief Spivey, they were still considered persons of interest in the case. Others (not named) apparently were cleared by DNA testing. I do not understand that.

LE has been very tight-lipped concerning this case. I'm Doubt we can expect any type of dialogue with them. MOO

It is very odd how the DNA evidence seems to have been treated. The semen found on Beasley did not match DNA from JWB or the "Man from Michigan" yet according to Chief Spivey, they were still considered persons of interest in the case. Others (not named) apparently were cleared by DNA testing. I do not understand that.

LE has been very tight-lipped concerning this case. I'm Doubt we can expect any type of dialogue with them. MOO

If we don't have the DNA evidence do you know what we would have? We would have JWB and the Michigan guy behind bars. So at this point the whole of the case is centered on the DNA evidence. LE should be 1000% sure that DNA was not from a consensual encounter. The strongest evidence in this case could be the whole reason why the case has not been solved. I would like to see another strong push from LE to make sure the DNA didn't belong to someone else that may have been too young or immature to admit to it at the time the murders happened. Just to make sure we are not excluding viable suspects with faulty evidence.
The FBI profile mentioned earlier referenced a sexual dysfunction. The only one that I think fits is premature ejaculation.

How does all this fit in with what we have been told about them only having a small amount of time to even go to one ridiculous, out of the way field party. This is a lot of meandering around and I don't see how it fits with tight schedule that is supposed to be part of this story, but I think it just can't have ever been.

The thing is they planned a night out to be with friends & made plans to go to a party they wouldn't have time for. We have all been teenagers once and as a teen I definitely changed my plans many times at the drop of a hat and curfew wasn't always met. I'd try to see all my friends at different places in one night. JB had been to the Haleburg place a couple times so she knew how to get there. She didn't get lost heading there. And I don't think she was lost in Ozark either. She asked for the quickest route back to Dothan. She knew where she was at for the most part but wanted the quickest route to get them both home.

I happen to agree . I do not think they were lost at all. This is yet another misconception that people were led to believe.

Distance. Midland City is only a approx. 5 miles outside of Dothan, right on Hwy 231. Haleburg is much further away. They would have more time to get to Midland City considering the curfew. I can also see how they might get turned around on back roads from Headland, and end up in Ozark rather than Midland City. From north to south, Hwy 231 runs through Ozark, Midland City, then Dothan .

The thing is they planned a night out to be with friends & made plans to go to a party they wouldn't have time for. We have all been teenagers once and as a teen I definitely changed my plans many times at the drop of a hat and curfew wasn't always met. I'd try to see all my friends at different places in one night. JB had been to the Haleburg place a couple times so she knew how to get there. She didn't get lost heading there. And I don't think she was lost in Ozark either. She asked for the quickest route back to Dothan. She knew where she was at for the most part but wanted the quickest route to get them both home.

Thank you for this information. You told me a few things I didn't know.

I am not criticizing J.B. and Tracie. I just never have been able to understand the story the media has been heavily pushing for years that they were going to go to a party and get back home in an hour... With most of their time spent in driving.

I have always thought they had more time than the stories let on... Even an extra hour would make a big difference. But, maybe the catch is, they promised to call home if they were going to be really late (as they did).

Changing plans actually makes some sense to me as, it sounds like at least, the parties were closer to home and places J.B. knew. Also, smaller parties are better if time is short.

Distance. Midland City is only a approx. 5 miles outside of Dothan, right on Hwy 231. Haleburg is much further away. They would have more time to get to Midland City considering the curfew. I can also see how they might get turned around on back roads from Headland, and end up in Ozark rather than Midland City. From north to south, Hwy 231 runs through Ozark, Midland City, then Dothan .

I looked at a map, but that was back when I thought they were trying to get to Headland. But, now that I know they gave up on going there not that long after leaving home, it makes a lot more sense why they were in Ozark. And how they could fit all these activities.

Mostly, I think we need a better timeline. The one the media has presented all these years has never really made sense.

However, I am wondering if they decided to change plans again. Before, it was made sound like they wouldn't do that. But, now, it sounds like they would if they thought they could still see a few of their friends.

I happen to agree . I do not think they were lost at all. This is yet another misconception that people were led to believe.

Well, if they were lost they would take the directions they got and try to go straight home.

If they were not really lost, but more were looking for a certain route, then they absolutely may have decided to voluntarily make another stop or two before they went home.

Thank you for this information. You told me a few things I didn't know.

I am not criticizing J.B. and Tracie. I just never have been able to understand the story the media has been heavily pushing for years that they were going to go to a party and get back home in an hour... With most of their time spent in driving.

I have always thought they had more time than the stories let on... Even an extra hour would make a big difference. But, maybe the catch is, they promised to call home if they were going to be really late (as they did).

Changing plans actually makes some sense to me as, it sounds like at least, the parties were closer to home and places J.B. knew. Also, smaller parties are better if time is short.

Oh, I know you weren't criticizing them. I just wanted to give you a little more insight on the timeline so it would make a little more sense to you 😊
The media has really ran this case in the mid with incorrect information. Something as small as mixing up headland & Haleburg is a big issue because this is an unsolved murder. It's imperative that those investigating and whoever else, knows facts and not hearsay information.

These are some of the best conversations that I've seen on this thread ever. I'm thinking about creating some kind of fact sheet for posting. Haven't had much time for it this week. Great info finally coming to light.

I have had trouble understanding this as well, TedMac. The only way it makes sense to me is if they have pinpointed the roles that Johnny B and Michigan Guy played in the murders. The DNA donor is the role that they haven't identified as of yet. That make sense to you?

This is a big reason why I think more than one were involved in this murder. This crime was the result of some sort of local drama. The serial killer/lone wackjob theory just doesn't work for me in this case.

Oh, I know you weren't criticizing them. I just wanted to give you a little more insight on the timeline so it would make a little more sense to you ��
The media has really ran this case in the mid with incorrect information. Something as small as mixing up headland & Haleburg is a big issue because this is an unsolved murder. It's imperative that those investigating and whoever else, knows facts and not hearsay information.

Jacqui,if I could ask two more questions, it would be greatly appreciated.
1) The two shirtless white dudes. Was it Bookie who mentioned them or someone else? Was this lead followed up on to your knowledge?

2) To your knowledge, and please only answer this if you feel comfortable, could there have been a consensual partner with regards to the DNA? Any boyfriends, old boyfriends etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abk018