AL AL - J.B. Beasley, 17, & Tracie Hawlett, 17, Ozark, 31 July 1999 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, that is my point. They should have known way before that there was semen present.

I understand that.

What I mean is how are they going to find anything on her skin if she's not even there any more. I know they have evidence preserved. But, what they said was very detailed and specific as if they had re-examined her.... At a time when she was already buried.

I understand that.

What I mean is how are they going to find anything on her skin if she's not even there any more. I know they have evidence preserved. But, what they said was very detailed and specific as if they had re-examined her.... At a time when she was already buried.

I certainly don't know for sure, but LE may have known it earlier and simply didn't release it to the public. Or they may have waited until they had the official report in hand prior to making a press release. A couple of other possibilities...maybe they tried to check the results against a particular suspect and after the results didn't match, then released the info. Also, the fact that they had DNA may have been accidentally released. The latter has been known to happen before.

Just throwing all of that out there FWIW.

IMO, in this case nothing should be taken for granted. That is including chain of custody. From start to finish everything in this case should be re-examined and picked through with a fine tooth comb, all forensic evidence especially. The DNA, the location of the DNA, the amount of DNA, along with a good explanation of why it took two months to discover/disclose the finding of semen. (especially on her skin) Something is not right about this, sexual predators don't just stop unless they are caught or dead. So I see three scenarios here, 1) The DNA was not associated with the the murder making it NOT a sex crime 2) the offender is dead or living overseas 3) the offender has continued to be a sexual predator but has remained elusive for the last 16 years, covering his crimes and never being arrested.
The offender was older & has slowed down physically.

The shell casing was sent off to the wrong lab and is no longer available. Big mistake on OPD's part. I haven't heard back about the soil samples yet but I am making a point to ask. I am assuming they came back negative since they still don't know where the crime actually took place

This is the source on the missing shell casing.

Let us now list off OPD and/the media's mistakes. In one post, for easy reference.

OPD finds the car. It sits where found for five hours, during which time several people get in and put of it. Lean on it, generally mess around with it.

After five hours, it finally occurs to someone that the trunk can be opened without keys (NOT a new or unusual feature in 99.)

J.B. and Tracie are found. There is a shell casing from a 9 mm with them. This shell casing is sent to the wrong lab where it is lost or destroyed.

Car released to insurance company by mistake.

Barrentine is not reinterviewed before he died. His wife has to inform police that he died.

Use of DNA to eliminate suspects even though the origin of it and its meaning to the case is unclear.

Media gets photo of J.B.'s license on dash. Makes this an important point in every story about the case.

Media runs with Headland field party story. This despite the fact there were witnesses saying the girls were going to Haleburg.

Let us now list off OPD and/the media's mistakes. In one post, for easy reference.

OPD finds the car. It sits where found for five hours, during which time several people get in and put of it. Lean on it, generally mess around with it.

After five hours, it finally occurs to someone that the trunk can be opened without keys (NOT a new or unusual feature in 99.)

J.B. and Tracie are found. There is a shell casing from a 9 mm with them. This shell casing is sent to the wrong lab where it is lost or destroyed.

Car released to insurance company by mistake.

Barrentine is not reinterviewed before he died. His wife has to inform police that he died.

Use of DNA to eliminate suspects even though the origin of it and its meaning to the case is unclear.

Media gets photo of J.B.'s license on dash. Makes this an important point in every story about the case.

Media runs with Headland field party story. This despite the fact there were witnesses saying the girls were going to Haleburg.

Just want to add this...we don't know JWB was re-interviewed or not. Ditto about his wife. I've never seen anything that indicates that LE ever talked with them again. Also, it was Beasley's sister that told Ozark PD about Barrentine having passed.

If the shell casing was indeed lost, that would really have been a huge mistake.

Just want to add this...we don't know JWB was re-interviewed or not. Ditto about his wife. I've never seen anything that indicates that LE ever talked with them again. Also, it was Beasley's sister that told Ozark PD about Barrentine having passed.

If the shell casing was indeed lost, that would really have been a huge mistake.

This is true, he may have been. I know he was interviewed a few times early on...

Thank you for letting me know who told the police about Barrentine having died.

I really think the shell casing is gone. It sounds like the family tried to find out what happened with some of the evidence and this is what they were told.

This is true, he may have been. I know he was interviewed a few times early on...

Thank you for letting me know who told the police about Barrentine having died.

I really think the shell casing is gone. It sounds like the family tried to find out what happened with some of the evidence and this is what they were told.
What can be told by the shell casing? Excuse my ignorance, I haven't fired many guns & it's been many years since I've had one. Would it mostly be used if the suspected weapon was found? There must at least be photos of the shell.

What can be told by the shell casing? Excuse my ignorance, I haven't fired many guns & it's been many years since I've had one. Would it mostly be used if the suspected weapon was found? There must at least be photos of the shell.

First thing that comes to mind would be to match casing to the caliber of bullet removed by medical examiner. There are indeed some unique ejection marks and firing pin characteristics that could possibly be used to match the casing to a particular weapon, although not quite as accurate as the rifling characteristics left on the lead bullet while traveling through the barrel. Obviously the manufacturer of the bullet could help sometimes, although after all this time it may not be useful.

If I omitted anything or exaggerated anything... Someone please correct me. I am not a forensic investigator at all.

I'd also say full or partial fingerprints since to my believe the shell was placed on the victims by the killer

I'd also say full or partial fingerprints since to my believe the shell was placed on the victims by the killer

Why do you think the shell was placed there by the killer?

Why do you think the shell was placed there by the killer?

In earlier articles on websleuth (on the very first page) it says 'A single 9mm shell casing rested precariously on Hawlett’s leg.' and a lot of sleuthers thought/think it was placed by the killer there. If the car was moving, it would have definitively fell off but it was 'on' Tracie's leg. I cant remember but wasn't the casing found vertically on her leg? If so, it would have had to be intentionally placed there.

The reason I personally think it was is because the killer(s) had wipe clean the car beside a partial palm print on the trunk so why cleaning everything to leave no proof but leaving a single 9mm shell casing on one of the victim leg in plain sight for anyone opening the trunk.

While, revisiting the first page for the 9mm casing info, it was said that one of the girls (Tracie) arm was scratched! Is this something important to know? Couldnt they have swab it to see if it was made by let's say branches or by someone's nails or did the LE do it?

There were also reports that it was not casing but an unspent bullet. Like one was in the chamber and then he racked one and it ejected onto leg. Not sure, there has been no clarity and since it is lost I doubt there will be any.

In earlier articles on websleuth (on the very first page) it says 'A single 9mm shell casing rested precariously on Hawlett’s leg.' and a lot of sleuthers thought/think it was placed by the killer there. If the car was moving, it would have definitively fell off but it was 'on' Tracie's leg. I cant remember but wasn't the casing found vertically on her leg? If so, it would have had to be intentionally placed there.

The reason I personally think it was is because the killer(s) had wipe clean the car beside a partial palm print on the trunk so why cleaning everything to leave no proof but leaving a single 9mm shell casing on one of the victim leg in plain sight for anyone opening the trunk.

While, revisiting the first page for the 9mm casing info, it was said that one of the girls (Tracie) arm was scratched! Is this something important to know? Couldnt they have swab it to see if it was made by let's say branches or by someone's nails or did the LE do it?

I guess I am just wondering what the killer(s) would have to gain by taking the time to open the trunk on Herring and place a shell on her leg? I do agree that it would seem the shell would have fallen off during the drive.

You could tell exactly what type of ammo it was. As in EXACTLY what type. Some brands and types are more unusual than others.

You could tell exactly what type of ammo it was. As in EXACTLY what type. Some brands and types are more unusual than others.

Why would the killer(s) want that information known?
And why did this shell seemingly "get lost"?

I am a new member here but I have followed this case since 2007, when I moved to the wiregrass. I was on the "rogue police officer" bandwagon for some time....not so sure now. After watching the video of Jacqui and hearing some of the unknown "facts" I have somewhat become skeptical. I also watched the video made by "bookie", and I seem to find that guy someone who "may know more than what he's telling"! I may be completely wrong about it but his body language was weird while telling his side. Almost like he's doing this as a "have to" and not just to help the family type video. Again, I apologize if I am crossing the line, but all angles need to be looked at if the true killer or killers are to be found!

Here's a quick thought. Wouldn't it be wonderful to have a true crime author take on this case? Having someone with experience both investigate and write about it might turn something over. Let's be honest most of us do this part time at best.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member