AL AL - J.B. Beasley, 17, & Tracie Hawlett, 17, Ozark, 31 July 1999 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
While reading a little on Mr. Barrentine's background last night, I found where he was arrested for striking his wife in the face and another time for striking his sister. (Not sure where I found it this morning, but it shouldn't be hard to track down.) That changed my view a bit of the sleepy-eyed, good natured mechanic's helper (as portrayed by some sources). The grand jury chose not to indict based, at least partially, on the fact that his DNA did not match the semen found at the scene.

I have no idea who killed Tracie and JB, but there are plenty of avenues to still be explored so I hope the LE investigation is still actively seeking answers!

Easongt, According to Jan 10, 2000 Troy Messenger article, the DNA evidence was proven to not match Barrentine before the grand jury voted to "no bill" his case.

I thought so but I wasn't sure and didn't want to speak out of turn. Its just always been my belief that the DNA was most likely unrelated to the homicide. I think he got lucky in that regard.

It was on both

Really TedMac?? Do you have a link for that? I always thought it was just underwear. The underwear was sent for testing and they got the results back before grand jury which got JB off the hook.
If it was on her body they would have to have known early on that there was a semen sample being sent in for testing and they were adamant early on that the motive wasn't sexual.

Really TedMac?? Do you have a link for that? I always thought it was just underwear. The underwear was sent for testing and they got the results back before grand jury which got JB off the hook.
If it was on her body they would have to have known early on that there was a semen sample being sent in for testing and they were adamant early on that the motive wasn't sexual.

http://practicalhomicide.com/articles/sexrelatedhomicides.htm

If they were adamant early on it wasn't sexually driven then they possibly have evidence they are withholding. Read above link

Really. Check out DimeDetective's post #9 in the 1st thread. There is a wealth of great detailed information about the case and has many links there. Here is the part you asked about the DNA and this is from DD's post.

"More than two months after the crime, a stunning revelation came from state forensics examiners: They found semen on J.B. Beasley’s bra, panties, and skin. Authorities consider this discovery the key to the unsolved murders."

This was 2 months after the murders, so it would have been October 1999.

Has anyone ever seen a chronological list of events of everything that happened the day of and the days after the murder? What did JB and Tracie do the day they were killed leading up to them leaving for the party?

Has anyone ever seen a chronological list of events of everything that happened the day of and the days after the murder? What did JB and Tracie do the day they were killed leading up to them leaving for the party?

BBM I've never seen a timeline as we have for some cases. Tracie had a job at J.C. Penny in Dothan and she worked that evening until 9 pm. J.B. had dinner with friends in Dothan. She picked up Tracie at 9 pm at her job and they went to Tracie's home where she (Tracie) changed clothes and they left for the field party at approximately 9:30-9:45 pm. As we know they never made it back home. If they had, the plan was for them to spend the night at Tracie's and go to Church together the next day.

I think it is becoming more and more obvious that an LEO committed the murder. The question now is, how many were involved?

Really. Check out DimeDetective's post #9 in the 1st thread. There is a wealth of great detailed information about the case and has many links there. Here is the part you asked about the DNA and this is from DD's post.

"More than two months after the crime, a stunning revelation came from state forensics examiners: They found semen on J.B. Beasley’s bra, panties, and skin. Authorities consider this discovery the key to the unsolved murders."

This was 2 months after the murders, so it would have been October 1999.

Thanks for that. Interesting. I either missed it or just forgot. Then that tells us she had sexual relations that day or that the crime did really have some sexual nature to it. Wouldn't LE have been able to confirm if she had willing sexual contact with someone that day? To me that means at least one of the perps DNA is what was found. Hard to believe they haven't been able to find a match to that DNA as in my mind this was definitely someone with local ties.

[/B]

BBM I've never seen a timeline as we have for some cases. Tracie had a job at J.C. Penny in Dothan and she worked that evening until 9 pm. J.B. had dinner with friends in Dothan. She picked up Tracie at 9 pm at her job and they went to Tracie's home where she (Tracie) changed clothes and they left for the field party at approximately 9:30-9:45 pm. As we know they never made it back home. If they had, the plan was for them to spend the night at Tracie's and go to Church together the next day.

Dinner with friends? What friends and were any of them male?

In the absence of a clear cut motive, I have to deduct it was a crime of opportunity. It could have been sexually motivated

In the absence of a clear cut motive, I have to deduct it was a crime of opportunity. It could have been sexually motivated

Maybe a crime of opportunity, but what crime? It all seems so random without a set goal for the crime. If it was robbery, why did they leave money and other valuables? But the pockets were turned inside out like they were searched, besides what 17 hear old has a lot of money on their person?
If it was sexual, why no penetration? I can see MAYBE the presence of two victims made the would be rapist leery of doing everything he may want to and settled for oral rape. The wet pants legs of the girls may support this theory but, how did semen get on her panties then? Her pants were down and then he let her put them back on then shot them? That makes no sense either for me. Unless they were going to be released but tried to escape and abductor escalated his violence.
Murder, why not just kill them and go if that was the main motive?

What contradicts or supports robbery?
What contradicts or supports sexual assault?
What are your thoughts?

I don't think the police sexually assaulted the victims- it is more likely they killed them in an attempt to silence them. Why? That's the hard part. There are many theories, from the girls being aware of widespread corruption, to the rumor that one of them was involved with a married officer and threatened to expose the relationship. One way or another, the police are involved.

I don't think the police sexually assaulted the victims- it is more likely they killed them in an attempt to silence them. Why? That's the hard part. There are many theories, from the girls being aware of widespread corruption, to the rumor that one of them was involved with a married officer and threatened to expose the relationship. One way or another, the police are involved.
These rumors of an affair with a married PO or police involvement have been bantered about for many years. I've been following this story since it was featured on AMW. I then followed the story on the Wiregrass Chat where the Cronology of Events was first posted. People talk,it's human nature except for some loners & sociopaths. If LE were involved & corruption was wide spread, someone would have talked by now. Same for JB, the description of him doesnt portray him as the type to commit murder, & why would family & friends stay silent now that he is dead? There was once a large $ reward offered, anyone with a sure lead would have talked.

It's hard to beleive the killer drove JB's car around after being near muddy water and after shooting these poor young women, & didn't leave any other trace evidence besides what LE has released. Was it common for people to drive or walk around carrying a 9mm gun in 1999? Either they made someone feel angry or threatened or they unfortunately ran into a sick individual.

The "affair" rumors can be put to sleep. Both girls were confirmed virgins. I think that is why the police did not say it was sexually motivated but who knows.

It's hard to beleive the killer drove JB's car around after being near muddy water and after shooting these poor young women, & didn't leave any other trace evidence besides what LE has released. Was it common for people to drive or walk around carrying a 9mm gun in 1999? Either they made someone feel angry or threatened or they unfortunately ran into a sick individual.

Very interesting. BOTH the Ozark police AND Dale County police were issued 9mm handguns during the 1990s!! Good catch!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hmb9201