AL AL - J.B. Beasley, 17, & Tracie Hawlett, 17, Ozark, 31 July 1999 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact Spivey even said in 2004 that he was still waiting on results from 1999 boggles the mind. If he doesn't tell us, fine. But, how much can soil even be tested?

The fact Spivey even said in 2004 that he was still waiting on results from 1999 boggles the mind. If he doesn't tell us, fine. But, how much can soil even be tested?

I wonder if the soil samples got lost the same way the shell casing got lost. Either Spivey was misquoted or he thinks we are really really dumb.

I was reading up on forensic geology. They would definitely be able to tell where the mud came from on both girls. I don't know about soil kits but rape kits are still sitting on shelves disintegrating as we read. Justice delayed is no justice .

Great post by DD ... Bringing a few post back up to the surface ... thread # 1 Post # 638

DD & KR brought out some very great points and pictures on this case

Rumor*
I have seen Ohio mentioned one other time in connection to the Beasley-Hawlett murders. As with the crimes of Matthew Vaca, drugs are involved.

This is 100% rumor and should be treated as such.

On the Dothan, AL forum on Topix, in a thread entitled "Who Killed J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett?," a poster who calls himself "Person in the know" gives a pretty detailed account of how a couple of drug dealers transported J.B.'s car, bodies in the trunk, from where the girls were killed to where the car was found. According to this poster, Herring Avenue was chosen as the dump site because one of the dealers had a sister who lived right around the corner. Subsequently, says "Person in the know," one of the dealers moved to Ohio to work with his father and while there he threw J.B.'s keys into the Ohio River.

This rumor, posted relatively recently (May 2011), also blends into a longstanding rumor about the case, which is that J.B. was dating a judge's son or grandson, and so was considered a "narc" by area drug dealers, which led to her murder. "Person in the know" does not believe the girls were killed by the same dealers who transported their bodies; he does, however, believe they know the killer's identity.

"Person in the know" claims the drug dealer who moved to Ohio is the same person of interest who was questioned by Alabama LE in Michigan on more than one occasion.

I think every theory, every suspect(know or unknown to the victims), and every scenario is on the table in this case. Someday maybe someone will come up with the right answer or idea that solves this case. Were the lights on at the ball field the night of the murders? Light might direct a person to drive towards a certain area.

The key point about the mapping is that the witness has them making a right hand turn onto AL 27. What is so strange is that the car is facing north when found so even if J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett's car made a left hand turn on the very first street going south which I think is Depot and then heading east again, when the car gets stopped by the killer or they stop at whoever person's house, etc, I would think the killer when they leave the car would park it facing south. This is why in my mapping interpretation I tend to think the killer lives south of where the car was found on Herring. It just seems like the simplest solution.

I personally think that what happened is police got tunnel vision with Johnny Berentine and that led the focus away from other people.

If it were 17 years ago and police could get DNA samples from everyone who lived within a one mile radius, I personally think there is a good chance they would have solved this case.This cold case is one that I think could be solved.

Great post by DD ... Bringing a few post back up to the surface ... thread # 1 Post # 638

DD & KR brought out some very great points and pictures on this case

Rumor*
I have seen Ohio mentioned one other time in connection to the Beasley-Hawlett murders. As with the crimes of Matthew Vaca, drugs are involved.

This is 100% rumor and should be treated as such.

On the Dothan, AL forum on Topix, in a thread entitled "Who Killed J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett?," a poster who calls himself "Person in the know" gives a pretty detailed account of how a couple of drug dealers transported J.B.'s car, bodies in the trunk, from where the girls were killed to where the car was found. According to this poster, Herring Avenue was chosen as the dump site because one of the dealers had a sister who lived right around the corner. Subsequently, says "Person in the know," one of the dealers moved to Ohio to work with his father and while there he threw J.B.'s keys into the Ohio River.

This rumor, posted relatively recently (May 2011), also blends into a longstanding rumor about the case, which is that J.B. was dating a judge's son or grandson, and so was considered a "narc" by area drug dealers, which led to her murder. "Person in the know" does not believe the girls were killed by the same dealers who transported their bodies; he does, however, believe they know the killer's identity.

"Person in the know" claims the drug dealer who moved to Ohio is the same person of interest who was questioned by Alabama LE in Michigan on more than one occasion.

The guy that moved to Michigan is back in Alabama and has been for a while. Still getting into trouble as well.

Though I think they were more or less headed home after Tracie's call, I can easily see J.B. suddenly deciding to stop and talk to someone she knew "just for a minute". So, while maybe Tracie " would only stop for blue lights", she wasn't driving. They weren't lost or scared, as long as they got home in a reasonable amount of time to go from Ozark to Dothan, then I doubt they would have been in trouble. They had to have stopped for anyone to get control of them. So, what would make J.B. stop?

Maybe she would have stopped if she saw the car of someone she knew at that McDonald's, for example. I know no one has ever mentioned seeing them there, but I don't know what else is around. Could there be anyone in Ozark she especially would want to say hello to?

Jacqui says the woman at B/L gave the wrong directions. The woman said six lights instead of five (or something like that). So, if someone followed that, where would they be? I guess it could be impossible to even do that depending on whether you can keep going straight there.

Actually, I think 231 is the 7th light. But if they turned at the 5th light, they would have been on college if I am counting right, and know where that leads? If they stay on it until it runs out, it forks out onto Eufaula, which has an optional fork that leads to Atlas ( and the other end of herring from where the car was found) and if you go straight shortly after crosses Bermuda (aka hwy 27) at a point where I am pretty sure you can see the big little they called from at the left. Also, had Tracie already been on the phone when the woman came up? Hopefully the police checked all outgoing calls from that payphone, but maybe she or J.B. placed a call before she called her mother, and they WERE on their way home, and were going to make a quick stop on the way.

Actually, I think 231 is the 7th light. But if they turned at the 5th light, they would have been on college if I am counting right, and know where that leads? If they stay on it until it runs out, it forks out onto Eufaula, which has an optional fork that leads to Atlas ( and the other end of herring from where the car was found) and if you go straight shortly after crosses Bermuda (aka hwy 27) at a point where I am pretty sure you can see the big little they called from at the left. Also, had Tracie already been on the phone when the woman came up? Hopefully the police checked all outgoing calls from that payphone, but maybe she or J.B. placed a call before she called her mother, and they WERE on their way home, and were going to make a quick stop on the way.

That is what I think as well. One last stop before heading home...

Hi guys...sorry to pop in if this has been discussed and discarded.

Can we talk about the older man (allegedly) in J.B.'s life who resided at the place where she was supposed to go to the party that night? Who (allegedly) said on another forum that she had a key to his house (so she obviously knew her way there)?

*Rumors of course, based on many lengthy postings (allegedly) by this person.

The information is probably buried in the forum somewhere, but can someone refresh my memory? What materials were the car seats made of? Were there floor mats?

I just have a lot of thoughts running through my head. First off, if someone were to ask me the quickest way to 231 so I could get to Dothan, I would not have told them to take Broad street (aka Andrews avenue, etc etc). Take a left at the 2nd light, S. Union, at the courthouse, and it runs you right to 231. A good landmark, and easy to remember.

Ice plant .............I have not been in that area in some time, and can not remember if it had a dirt parking lot, or was paved. What about the road it is on? Yes, it could be a reason for wet pants, even up to the knee, but where did the briars, etc come from? Were just their shoes muddy? Or were their pants muddy as well? If shell casings had been pocketed, then yes, snow melting would hide other evidence, but where did the mud on the car come from if it was the ice plant? There should have still been tire tracks, and footprints in the mud, even if there had been some runoff from melting ice. But you would not think that the parkinglot would be dirt, because employees still have to get to and from the building.

There are several little creeks and streams or branches of them in the area, as well as ponds, the rivers, etc. The lake would have been inaccessible, they always locked it down at dark.

There are several little out of the way places, some with even less lighting, and a few with little if any houses within a few short blocks of where the car was parked. If I was an individual with that mindset, I would not have picked Herring. Why? It is very close to the hospital. (unless that was the why) and the car would have been seen by employees that were called in or people going to the ER from the hwy 27 vicinity, therefore the person who dropped the car off was taking a chance of being seen by those individuals as well. It almost had to be someone who lived very close, or was picked up by someone following them, but even that was a risky move.

I asked about the muddy clothing/shoes and the material of the vehicle seats and the floor mats because it stands to reason that if the girls were muddy and had briars, the person that killed them also was muddy and had briars. I do not recall ever reading about either one being IN the car, although I could have easily missed it. So that would point to 1 of 2 things. 1) There was more than one person, unless the individual drove the car home, changed, cleaned it up, etc and THEN drove it to Herring avenue (again pretty risky) or 2) All of it occurred where the individual could clean up before he got into the car, either before or after he killed the girls. Probably after though, so there would not be any blood evidence on him. So where did the mud on the car come from? Even if he lived on a dirt road, it had not rained as far as I can remember, so even if he parked in his own yard or driveway, where did the mud come from on the car? Unless HE noticed blood and drove the car through water or hosed it off and got rid of blood evidence so that nobody else would notice it, then drove with the car wet.

If there was a hole in the bottom of the trunk large enough for there to be blood on the undercarriage of a muddy car, then not only should the police have seen blood under the car (unless one of the girls had shifted, covering the hole, or the car only went one way through mud) but there should have been a blood trail from when they slowed down to make the turn onto Herring, and on Herring itself. Also were the girls' pant legs still wet when they were found? Reports make it sound like it, but this would have been what? 12 hours after they had been killed, in a hot trunk in the summer. I do not remember there being any mention of the seat or floor being wet though, and it would make sense that if the girls had wet pants and shoes so did the person that chased them down, or marched them along, whichever the case may be.

Still thinking on a few other things that come to mind as well.

Help me out here please, do any of you remember reading or hearing who the owner of the white pickup truck was? I am certain I read somewhere it belonged to a police officer's son. Anyone else run across this?

Help me out here please, do any of you remember reading or hearing who the owner of the white pickup truck was? I am certain I read somewhere it belonged to a police officer's son. Anyone else run across this?

I've read that, too. But I was thinking it belonged to the railroad or a contractor working with the railroad-Not certain though.

I just have a lot of thoughts running through my head. First off, if someone were to ask me the quickest way to 231 so I could get to Dothan, I would not have told them to take Broad street (aka Andrews avenue, etc etc). Take a left at the 2nd light, S. Union, at the courthouse, and it runs you right to 231. A good landmark, and easy to remember.

Ice plant .............I have not been in that area in some time, and can not remember if it had a dirt parking lot, or was paved. What about the road it is on? Yes, it could be a reason for wet pants, even up to the knee, but where did the briars, etc come from? Were just their shoes muddy? Or were their pants muddy as well? If shell casings had been pocketed, then yes, snow melting would hide other evidence, but where did the mud on the car come from if it was the ice plant? There should have still been tire tracks, and footprints in the mud, even if there had been some runoff from melting ice. But you would not think that the parkinglot would be dirt, because employees still have to get to and from the building.

There are several little creeks and streams or branches of them in the area, as well as ponds, the rivers, etc. The lake would have been inaccessible, they always locked it down at dark.

There are several little out of the way places, some with even less lighting, and a few with little if any houses within a few short blocks of where the car was parked. If I was an individual with that mindset, I would not have picked Herring. Why? It is very close to the hospital. (unless that was the why) and the car would have been seen by employees that were called in or people going to the ER from the hwy 27 vicinity, therefore the person who dropped the car off was taking a chance of being seen by those individuals as well. It almost had to be someone who lived very close, or was picked up by someone following them, but even that was a risky move.

I asked about the muddy clothing/shoes and the material of the vehicle seats and the floor mats because it stands to reason that if the girls were muddy and had briars, the person that killed them also was muddy and had briars. I do not recall ever reading about either one being IN the car, although I could have easily missed it. So that would point to 1 of 2 things. 1) There was more than one person, unless the individual drove the car home, changed, cleaned it up, etc and THEN drove it to Herring avenue (again pretty risky) or 2) All of it occurred where the individual could clean up before he got into the car, either before or after he killed the girls. Probably after though, so there would not be any blood evidence on him. So where did the mud on the car come from? Even if he lived on a dirt road, it had not rained as far as I can remember, so even if he parked in his own yard or driveway, where did the mud come from on the car? Unless HE noticed blood and drove the car through water or hosed it off and got rid of blood evidence so that nobody else would notice it, then drove with the car wet.

If there was a hole in the bottom of the trunk large enough for there to be blood on the undercarriage of a muddy car, then not only should the police have seen blood under the car (unless one of the girls had shifted, covering the hole, or the car only went one way through mud) but there should have been a blood trail from when they slowed down to make the turn onto Herring, and on Herring itself. Also were the girls' pant legs still wet when they were found? Reports make it sound like it, but this would have been what? 12 hours after they had been killed, in a hot trunk in the summer. I do not remember there being any mention of the seat or floor being wet though, and it would make sense that if the girls had wet pants and shoes so did the person that chased them down, or marched them along, whichever the case may be.

Still thinking on a few other things that come to mind as well.

BBM There was mud on the rear of the car and it was thought to come from Tracie's shoes as she stepped into the trunk. Otherwise, the car was described as "dirty." Which leads me to believe it was a lot of dust on it-like would have come from a dirt road.

Both girls pants were described as being wet from the knee down. I think they were still at least damp when they were discovered. Otherwise, how would anyone have known they were wet? The mud on their shoes along with the wet pants leads me to believe they either were marched thru a creek or ran thru one in an attempt to escape their captor.

It has never been disclosed if any mud or footprints were found inside the car.

Just so happens I was on the right post at the right time... thread#1. Post # 860

White Truck Eliminated — Details
The white pickup truck captured on the Big/Little Store surveillance video that night has been a hot discussion topic throughout this thread. Even after the discovery of a blurb in the original Chronology of Events dated July 18, 2004 which stated, "The driver of the white truck shown on the security camera at the Big/Little store has been identified and cleared of any involvement," many posters here at WS still didn't feel comfortable letting go of the notion that the occupants of the white truck may have been somehow involved, whether as perpetrators or witnesses. One major sticking point was that, apparently, the white truck and its driver were not identified until nearly five years after the murders.

This evening, as I was reading through the full weekly Ozark news archive just discovered here, the story of the white truck seemingly became a little clearer:

From the August 5, 2001, edition:

A new aspect in the case was released when Chief Spivey said that the owner of the white truck had been located in Delaware, but the person didn't remember seeing anything. The truck was examined and there wasn't any evidence linking the truck to the crime.
http://web.archive.org/web/200505040...k/news119.html

So the white truck connection was eliminated by LE approximately two years after the murders instead of five, calling the accuracy of the Chronology of Events into question. Given the scarcity of details presented in regards to the lack of evidence here, however, we just have to trust that LE was satisfied with what they found (or didn't find).

Keep in mind: we still don't have a link to MSM confirmation that the white truck was indeed eliminated. But this new information helps.

I've read that, too. But I was thinking it belonged to the railroad or a contractor working with the railroad-Not certain though.

Just so happens I was on the right post at the right time... thread#1. Post # 860

White Truck Eliminated — Details
The white pickup truck captured on the Big/Little Store surveillance video that night has been a hot discussion topic throughout this thread. Even after the discovery of a blurb in the original Chronology of Events dated July 18, 2004 which stated, "The driver of the white truck shown on the security camera at the Big/Little store has been identified and cleared of any involvement," many posters here at WS still didn't feel comfortable letting go of the notion that the occupants of the white truck may have been somehow involved, whether as perpetrators or witnesses. One major sticking point was that, apparently, the white truck and its driver were not identified until nearly five years after the murders.

This evening, as I was reading through the full weekly Ozark news archive just discovered here, the story of the white truck seemingly became a little clearer:

From the August 5, 2001, edition:

A new aspect in the case was released when Chief Spivey said that the owner of the white truck had been located in Delaware, but the person didn't remember seeing anything. The truck was examined and there wasn't any evidence linking the truck to the crime.
http://web.archive.org/web/200505040...k/news119.html

So the white truck connection was eliminated by LE approximately two years after the murders instead of five, calling the accuracy of the Chronology of Events into question. Given the scarcity of details presented in regards to the lack of evidence here, however, we just have to trust that LE was satisfied with what they found (or didn't find).

Keep in mind: we still don't have a link to MSM confirmation that the white truck was indeed eliminated. But this new information helps.

Thanks!
After two years of searching for truck and owner they were satisfied with he doesn't remember seeing anything?

Richkelley came up with a profile of the offender ... Reading he also indicated that the person was very comfortable in this area possibly lives within 1 mile
Offender:
-Offender would most likely be someone who lives in and or works in the area where the abduction happened, or close to where they were dumped.
-Most likely loner, with few friends
-Lives alone or with parents
-Possibly triggered by some precipitating event
-History of failed relationships
-Fascinated with weapons, primarily firearms, because they give him power.
-If he was able to obtain it, I would expect him to have a permit to carry, and would be armed much of the time
-Past criminal history would include assault,
-May have a deep interest in Law enforcement, may also be involved in Fire or EMS as well
-Possibly suffering from some form of sexual dysfunction.
-Would most likely demonstrate heavy almost unnatural interest in the crime post offense
-Increases in drug or alcohol consumption if they use it would be noticeable to those around him
-May've fled the area post offense.
-Possibly revisited the crime scene(s)
-Police may have interviewed him already
-May've injected himself into the investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics