AL AL - J.B. Beasley, 17, & Tracie Hawlett, 17, Ozark, 31 July 1999 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
With JB being oldest, there were probably things she could testify to that might cause mom to lose custody of all the girls.

Aren't we forgetting about Tracie Hawlett? From what I read on here, the custody hearing was not for at least another week so in that time nobody could get J.B. Beasley alone during the summer to murder her? That motive is a possibility, but in my opinion, not a very likely one.

My question would then be what is the motive for threatening, harassing, even murdering J.B. for a custody hearing? With four sisters the hearing could have involved one or more of the sisters not necessarily J.B. What is to be gained from silencing J.B. in a custody hearing?

Speaking generically and not specifically to this case, the loss of custody of one or more children tends to reduce or eliminate child support $$.

Aren't we forgetting about Tracie Hawlett? From what I read on here, the custody hearing was not for at least another week so in that time nobody could get J.B. Beasley alone during the summer to murder her? That motive is a possibility, but in my opinion, not a very likely one.

IF (and it is a big IF) the crime was planned, perhaps the killer knew where JB & Tracie were going that night and struck when and where the opportunity presented itself.

Someone posted on the Lost Thread #3 a copy of the map to the Haleburg party. I don't remember their screen name.

I did look at the map that was posted. It was handwritten/drawn. As I have posted in this thread before, I am loosely familiar with 431 between Northview and Headland. I could not make the map work using Google, and I know that is not the same thing as actually trying to drive it.

In MOO opinion, I do not think the map to the Haleburg Field Party was an attempt to mislead JB and Tracie. I believe it's a matter of everybody gives and takes direction to somewhere differently. For instance, my dad and brother are very logical and specific and give (and like to receive directions) as specific street names and go East at an intersection and turn North on a particular street. My Mother and I have no idea of North/South/East/West, she and I need: turn right at the Chevron and then go until you see a yellow house and make left.

The map I remember from the Lost Thread #3, had a mixture of these 2 types of directions, some specific street names and landmarks, but also "go through 3 intersections" without specifically listing what the intersections were. And JB and Tracie were driving in the dark in parts of the county, which probably didn't have a lot of street lights or other lights. Again, as I have said before, times that I tried to find field parties, it was very dark and hard to tell the difference between a dirt road and someone's driveway. So if someone told you "turn left on the 3rd road", you could lose count, because was it a "road" or someone's driveway that happened to be dirt??

You said the map was handdrawn, out of curiosity, did it look like a photocopy or a real hand drawn map? Bookie said the girls’ directions were written on a white napkin, so that would make them one of a kind, right? Most parties I attended back then had photocopied directions, and they were never on napkins.

You said the map was handdrawn, out of curiosity, did it look like a photocopy or a real hand drawn map? Bookie said the girls’ directions were written on a white napkin, so that would make them one of a kind, right? Most parties I attended back then had photocopied directions, and they were never on napkins.

What was posted here, looked to me like a photocopy of something that had been handwritten/drawn. It was a drawing of roads with the names of streets and landmarks written in and some directions, not a lot, things like "go through 3 intersections".

I have no way of knowing what the photocopy was of, it could have been of a napkin or a piece of paper.

I guess my point is this: If this was a planned murder, the murderer would want to get (presumably JB) to an isolated spot. Bookie said the directions were written on a white napkin, and he was specific about that (people don't photocopy onto napkins so we can assume the directions were hand written). Now, as Bookie said, this was supposed to be the party of the century, so I am willing to bet there were plenty of photocopied directions out there. But JB had directions written on a white napkin. Those directions put her in contact with two shirtless guys who followed, pinned in, and scared the girls on the same night they were brutally executed. Also, the directions that JB had did not lead Bookie and friends to the party. Now back to the original question: Who gave the girls those directions? Thoughts?

Bulldog, are you of the belief that whomever gave the girls the directions are involved in the harassment and/or murders? It's plausible that the girls were given erroneous or incomplete directions to lead them to a remote area for ill intentions. I think starting with the directions is a logical important step in establishing an accurate timeline of events.

Also, what is the source for the information regarding the shirtless boys harassment? I've seen it mentioned several times, mostly by Jacqui Burgoon, but never attributed to a first hand witness. Is this fact documented in police reports? If this has been discussed already I apologize, I have forgotten it.

Bulldog, are you of the belief that whomever gave the girls the directions are involved in the harassment and/or murders? It's plausible that the girls were given erroneous or incomplete directions to lead them to a remote area for ill intentions. I think starting with the directions is a logical important step in establishing an accurate timeline of events.

Also, what is the source for the information regarding the shirtless boys harassment? I've seen it mentioned several times, mostly by Jacqui Burgoon, but never attributed to a first hand witness. Is this fact documented in police reports? If this has been discussed already I apologize, I have forgotten it.

I don't think that was in any of the MSM reports, but it came from Jacqui Burgoon in her video, whom I believe without hesitation. I have recently been reminded that JB told this to a female friend (I'm not sure of her name) at the Headland gas station. My opinion, for what it is worth, is that was too much of a coincidence. To be confronted, chased, and pinned in to the point they were frightened on the same night they were executed, I mean, what are the chances of the 2 things happening on the same night and not being related?

Again, I don't know anything for sure, but if I were LE, I would most definitely want to talk to those shirtless boys. If what Jacqui said was accurate, then JB followed someone's hand written directions right into a (what felt like for JB) dangerous situation. Also, Bookie and friends couldn't find the party using the directions either. The shirtless guys were obviously not still in that location when Bookie and friends tried to find the party, because they were following the girls. As sleuths, we don't know who or what the police have investigated, but if they haven't tried to chase down those guys- they need to- now! Also, they need to speak with the person who gave JB those directions in my opinion.

I guess my point is this: If this was a planned murder, the murderer would want to get (presumably JB) to an isolated spot. Bookie said the directions were written on a white napkin, and he was specific about that (people don't photocopy onto napkins so we can assume the directions were hand written). Now, as Bookie said, this was supposed to be the party of the century, so I am willing to bet there were plenty of photocopied directions out there. But JB had directions written on a white napkin. Those directions put her in contact with two shirtless guys who followed, pinned in, and scared the girls on the same night they were brutally executed. Also, the directions that JB had did not lead Bookie and friends to the party. Now back to the original question: Who gave the girls those directions? Thoughts?
Is there anything that points to JB being the target? The reason I ask is that I don't remember anything that points to one or the other. I know that semen was only found on JB, or so we were told. Traci's house being burglarized is more of a connection IMO. Nothing of value was taken just like in the murders. It was said that the house was burglarized TWICE. I've never heard of someone breaking into the same house twice and not taking anything either time. Seems like someone was looking for something in particular. I think it was planned but I don't think the directions are part of it. A lot of kids were or are bad with directions. Plus it was to a party in Haleburg and they were found in Ozark. Just dont add up to me, but i'm no expert.

Just saying, not a lot of photocopying back then cause that's a lot of effort for a teenager, especially a guy. More likely to be given directions on a piece of paper, the back of a hand, a napkin, a paper towel....

they need to speak with the person who gave JB those directions in my opinion.

Bulldog, I agree wholeheartedly. In my opinion, the person(s) that gave J.B. the directions would have to be someone she trusted or at least someone she had a positive relationship with. Surely she wouldn't accept directions from someone that had given her trouble/grief previously especially since she was described as being "street smart".

I never found hard evidence of that report- very possible the girls could have relayed that to someone that night- but I never read that report myself.

I don't think that was in any of the MSM reports, but it came from Jacqui Burgoon in her video, whom I believe without hesitation. I have recently been reminded that JB told this to a female friend (I'm not sure of her name) at the Headland gas station.

Just some further clarification on the shirtless boys report. I wonder if this critical piece of information made it into investigative reports and received due diligence from LE.

That is a good question, Aegis. Rex Tipton, the first detective in charge of the case at OPD, said several times in comments on the FB page that there things that only the killer(s) and police know, so we know the police are holding at least some information back from the public. Maybe Jacqui heard about it (as a family member, she would probably have access to some information that the public doesn't have) and thought it was important enough to reveal, since the OPD did not seem to be making progress. Just a guess on my part. I know from Jacqui's previous comments on WS, she seemed to think that the shirtless guys following the girls is relevant.

I would imagine, there were conversations had, between some of JB and Tracie's closest friends and those that may have crossed paths at the different locations that night, and the 2 families. And I bet some of it is not publicly known or known by the police. Did everybody tell the police and the families the same info?? who knows

There may have been people who did not feel comfortable talking to the police, but felt like they could speak with 1 or both of the families.

So there may be things the families know that the police would not have been able to find out by their investigation. I'm not saying this is a conspiracy by either the police or the families. It's just the way it is sometimes.

I try to put myself in that position that night. If I was at one of the Field Parties, you can bet my parents didn't know I was there. So would I go to the police if I had information? I don't know, it would be a struggle between giving information that could possibly help, and also my parents finding out I lied to them. Would I approach the families instead, probably, because I would want whatever info I had to be known. Now I'm not talking about if I witnessed the actual crime or somebody being hurt, absolutely, I would tell police what I saw, if I witnessed that, and take my punishment for lying and being somewhere I shouldn't. But if it was some other part of the events, like hearing about the 2 shirtless boys, that would make me question whether I should go to the police or a member of the family.

In MOO opinion, there would be 3 ways Jacqui heard about the 2 shirtless boys, if it wasn't from Bookie:
1) JB called Jana's house at the Headland gas station. She spoke with Jana's sister. Did JB tell Jana's sister about it?
2) Did Tracie either talk to someone else at the Headland gas station or make a phone call from the Headland gas station? if she did and told that person about the 2 shirtless boys
3) Did JB and/or Tracie tell the incident to someone at the Skipperville party?

I would imagine, there were conversations had, between some of JB and Tracie's closest friends and those that may have crossed paths at the different locations that night, and the 2 families. And I bet some of it is not publicly known or known by the police. Did everybody tell the police and the families the same info?? who knows

There may have been people who did not feel comfortable talking to the police, but felt like they could speak with 1 or both of the families.

So there may be things the families know that the police would not have been able to find out by their investigation. I'm not saying this is a conspiracy by either the police or the families. It's just the way it is sometimes.

I try to put myself in that position that night. If I was at one of the Field Parties, you can bet my parents didn't know I was there. So would I go to the police if I had information? I don't know, it would be a struggle between giving information that could possibly help, and also my parents finding out I lied to them. Would I approach the families instead, probably, because I would want whatever info I had to be known. Now I'm not talking about if I witnessed the actual crime or somebody being hurt, absolutely, I would tell police what I saw, if I witnessed that, and take my punishment for lying and being somewhere I shouldn't. But if it was some other part of the events, like hearing about the 2 shirtless boys, that would make me question whether I should go to the police or a member of the family.

In MOO opinion, there would be 3 ways Jacqui heard about the 2 shirtless boys, if it wasn't from Bookie:
1) JB called Jana's house at the Headland gas station. She spoke with Jana's sister. Did JB tell Jana's sister about it?
2) Did Tracie either talk to someone else at the Headland gas station or make a phone call from the Headland gas station? if she did and told that person about the 2 shirtless boys
3) Did JB and/or Tracie tell the incident to someone at the Skipperville party?

I have heard it was #2- but JB and not Tracie. (and I am not sure the source was correct). But supposedly JB told a girl (a friend) this at the Headland gas station. I think I heard the girl's name, but I don't really remember. (Thanks to LR1 for reminding me about JB's conversation with the girl.) The original source of this information was from a taped conversation between two people, who claimed to have inside knowledge, that was posted on a local blog a couple of years ago. Again, I have no way of knowing how accurate this was/is.

I think this was originally investigated as a carjacking; then Johnny B was targeted due to his own actions. I think OPD, who was the lead agency, investigated this as a event that was contained within the Ozark City Limits or close by. But if these shirtless guys are relevant, then the crime really began in Haleburg or Tumbleton when the shirtless guys first began following the girls, right? Maybe that helps explain why this case is unsolved. I wonder if, by not looking at the wider picture, OPD missed an opportunity to solve the case early in the investigation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member