AL AL - J.B. Beasley, 17, & Tracie Hawlett, 17, Ozark, 31 July 1999 #4 *ARREST*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly..... brilliant minds @work

Right. I mean, I realize defense attorneys have a job to do... but this guy... the theatrics already are over the top. I honestly didn't have an opinion about CM's guilt or innocence prior to today. I was trying to keep an open mind and I think I did. But my opinion now is that for me, the defense has a lot of 'splainin to do, and I'm not sure there is a sensible way for it to be 'splained innocently.

I agree that bringing him in unshackled and in a suit is an attempt NOT to influence potential jurors by having him show up in chains and jailhouse duds implying guilt. Or having that come back to hit the prosecution in the face as prejudicial. Me, I've already decided. And that's my bad.

First off I want say that this site is incredible. After listening to the 3 men and a mystery podcast I was able to find this site. I have read thread 3 in its entirety, parts of this one. I am going to go back and read the 1st two. Some very interesting insight posted here.

I remember this case as if it were yesterday. I was born and raised in the wonderful big city of Ozark, currently living here. I seen some posts from other members having lived here at some point in time and their comments were really spot on. Such as the person that listed all of the hang out spots. I dont recall if it were corrected but the ice house behind broad street was called Gulf Ice, owned and operated by a family in Ariton, not far from Ozark. That's neither here nor there but thought for clarification sales it was worth noting.

Ozark has always had that stigma of that good ole boy type of town, influenced by "old money". I never experienced or really noticed it growing up but its evident because of the lack of growth in ozark whilst Dothan, Enterprise, and Troy growing especially Dothan.

How does that factor in this case? I honestly dont think it has any bearing. Alot of people have conjured up many myths, conspiracies. Alot of my African American friends are hell bent on corruption within OPD, but truth is most live that pseudo gang lifestyle. As the one poster mentioned the gang activity, their was the Folk Nation, well a group that claimed that title, bloods, not any crips really. But its completely fabricated and baseless.

I do however feel that OPD from the get go dropped the ball and botched this investigation something terrible. One of the first things that stands out is how officers (I dont recall how many agencies were on the scene) but 6 hours passed before a dothan officer discovered they could open the trunk from the inside. Of course, everyone knows how they jumped on Barretine despite his inconsistencies and his level of cognitive function.

If anyone has any questions related to ozark feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer.

High profile case. The state does not want to cast an unduly unfavorable light up the defendant. It would be just another point of conflict for appeal at a later date should a conviction come of this proceeding.

I assure you he was well secured

Great reply. Thanks. Although, if my buddy had a showman lawyer, who likes to read his name in the paper, he, too, would be able to stroll into court instead of being shackled and wearing a jumpsuit. Oh, but sigh, I digress.

Attachments

• upload_2019-4-4_5-43-41.jpeg
    upload_2019-4-4_5-43-41.jpeg
    106.4 KB · Views: 4
@TedMac Do you want to share your thoughts about today?? You've been active on this forum for as long as it's been around, I think. Just curious!

Well, I'm not really sure what, if anything to make of the day's events. I believe the prosecution showed just enough evidence to bind the case over to the grand jury and nothing more. I can't help but feel like they have more "face cards" than they are showing. I think the defense team is desperate and are fighting an uphill battle, hence the challenge to the DNA. It will be interesting to say the least.

Well, I'm not really sure what, if anything to make of the day's events. I believe the prosecution showed just enough evidence to bind the case over to the grand jury and nothing more. I can't help but feel like they have more "face cards" than they are showing. I think the defense team is desperate and are fighting an uphill battle, hence the challenge to the DNA. It will be interesting to say the least.
Thanks for your reply! Just wondered if we were on the same page. :)

Thanks for your reply! Just wondered if we were on the same page. :)

I will add this...As I told someone this morning, I believe there is something that is just not adding up here. I think LE must have more evidence than they are letting on. Maybe, the palm print on the trunk, or something found inside the car that points to CM? I really look for a key piece of evidence to be presented later. I don't think the semen/DNA alone is all the prosecution has. M.O.O.

I genuinely hope McCraney gets a fair trial, as would most. The majority of people around here believe he is innocent, even with the DNA evidence presented. For alot of them, that sentiment is based of the preconceived belief of the high level of corruption that has always been associated with OPD. Of course with social media and 24/7 new sources, police in general, all are painted with that generalization. But I digress.

So obviously the DNA report is a big game changer. But here are some interesting caveats to ponder in relation to the DNA.

Semen was found on the sweater, underwear, and within the vaginal cavity. Which as the lawyer states only implies he potentially knew them, interacted with at least Beasley. Semen can be viable for up to 7 days I believe in the vaginal cavity (dependent on age of female, pH, etc), around the same time on clothes. Mind you, washing clothes doesn't necessarily rid them of stains AND can potentially spread to other articles that may be washed.

That means if the laboratory findings are correct, pointing to McCraney, then there is potential that they have met from the time of the prior weekend to the night of the murders. Figuring out what Beasley did in the afternoon/nights of the week would be insightful, school records of missing class or anything too. I'm inclined that any sexual encounter would be consensual unless it was a forced interaction say in a house at gun point.

Now, one must consider the sample collected from Beasley. How well preserved was the samples? So many variables that would compromise the stains/samples from the collection of them, handling of the bodies on scene, environmental factors. Assuming they were murdered between 12p-2am plus the 6 hours stuck in a fairly humid trunk, also the environment where the murders were committed all could skew the sample. Same goes for the sample the collected from McCraney. His would exclude the environmental factors aside from the room it was collected so it would be more with the person that collected, handled, packaged, and shipped it. Of course, human error in the lab can be prevalent. So in reality, even with the family tree created, matching the DNA, its still not 100% (its extremely strong, dont get me wrong) because even with the profile of the sample be it degraded, partial, whatever, I don't like that they base the claims on the probability of the match.

Hope this makes some sense, sometimes its difficult for me to adequately articulate all things medical lol.

I am going to type out my opinion on what could have happened, potentially tying in the McCraney DNA and his relationship with Beasley. This will be based on the what has been officially publicized. With that being, please correct me with anything I dont state being correct as for as the timeline and such that is deemed common knowledge

I should clarify. I don't mean as in some type of deep, meaningful relationship but more a causal dalliance.

He was 2 years removed from military service, former athlete, so 20 years ago and at that time he may have been a fairly attractive person. A causal relationship may have developed through knowing other people. It wasn't uncommon for early to mid 20 year olds to attend parties in the surrounding areas and knowing people from other areas through these parties and through friend of a friend and so on.

Also many teenage girls arent as innocent as they seem to appear. My wife can attest to that from her days in high school. Anyone that knew her, even her parents would testify to how great of an individual she was, attending church, etc. The pictures that are painted to the public but under the cover of night, behind the scenes, they are out partying, doing things none would guess.

Example. Tracy made the call to her mom stating they were lost, would be home in an hour. That very well could have been her attempt to reassure her mother whilst buying time, using an excuse to stay out later. My wife mentioned how she told her mom she'd be going to X but in reality she went to Y to meet and hangout with someone. Hell, I did it many many times during high school.

I'm not saying its fact, it's just very plausible and a reality with many people (doesn't equate to her being a bad person or demeaning her character).

I will add this...As I told someone this morning, I believe there is something that is just not adding up here. I think LE must have more evidence than they are letting on. Maybe, the palm print on the trunk, or something found inside the car that points to CM? I really look for a key piece of evidence to be presented later. I don't think the semen/DNA alone is all the prosecution has. M.O.O.
I am waiting for the "Bombshell" piece of evidence to come out~~~I definitely fell they have more!!

I should clarify. I don't mean as in some type of deep, meaningful relationship but more a causal dalliance.

He was 2 years removed from military service, former athlete, so 20 years ago and at that time he may have been a fairly attractive person. A causal relationship may have developed through knowing other people. It wasn't uncommon for early to mid 20 year olds to attend parties in the surrounding areas and knowing people from other areas through these parties and through friend of a friend and so on.

Also many teenage girls arent as innocent as they seem to appear. My wife can attest to that from her days in high school. Anyone that knew her, even her parents would testify to how great of an individual she was, attending church, etc. The pictures that are painted to the public but under the cover of night, behind the scenes, they are out partying, doing things none would guess.

Example. Tracy made the call to her mom stating they were lost, would be home in an hour. That very well could have been her attempt to reassure her mother whilst buying time, using an excuse to stay out later. My wife mentioned how she told her mom she'd be going to X but in reality she went to Y to meet and hangout with someone. Hell, I did it many many times during high school.

I'm not saying its fact, it's just very plausible and a reality with many people (doesn't equate to her being a bad person or demeaning her character).
Yeah, this all sounds way more likely than him raping her and killing them both. I can't wait to read the whole thing. ;)

I am waiting for the "Bombshell" piece of evidence to come out~~~I definitely fell they have more!!

They better have more or else McCraney is walking. That’s where I am at with it right now.

Guilty or innocent of the murders......McCraney holds the answers. If he is innocent he better provide one hell of a story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove