GUILTY AL - Jack Girdner, 73, & DeJerinett twins, 9, found murdered, Hope Hull, 3 June 2012

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
New member here, and let me say I am so excited to have found this website to discuss with like minded individuals the craziness in this world!

I wanted to comment lastnight, but it takes a few hours to get approved to write on the forums. But, I was looking at the case from 2008, and after he was found not guilty in 2011 (I believe) his dad made a statement that it was injustice.. and so forth.. what I found odd, but may not mean much is the dad's last name was Moore. The twins' mom's last name is Moore. I recently moved to Alabama from Indiana so I'm not sure about how small the city is or if, like in Indiana, every person with the same last name in a small town are related.

*Wondering how the mom's alleged relationship with the suspect will play into all of this. So sad.

This is just craziness!
Many prayers and much needed strength and peace to the family of all victims.

Welcome. I believe the mother's name has been misspelled by media. It is Moorer, I believe. I believe I also found a Moore related to one of the two boys killed in the 2008 shooting.

Welcome. I believe the mother's name has been misspelled by media. It is Moorer, I believe. I believe I also found a Moore related to one of the two boys killed in the 2008 shooting.

Ahhh, I meant the dad of Devon Tyre the was killed in 2008, sorry.

But oh okay! That makes sense! Thanks. I tried looking those shot from 2008, couldn't find either of the deceased victims, but did find the one that survived. Trying to keep up with his statuses to see if he says anything about him being a suspect in another case.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1206/06/ng.01.html
KRISTA LITTLEFIELD, REPORTER, WAKA-TV (via telephone): Well, they were last seen with that 73-year-old babysitter. He was a friend of the family. The mother dropped the twins off with him. She went to work Sunday afternoon. Monday morning, she couldn`t get in touch with him. She reported them missing. Tuesday night, last night, investigators finding three bodies off that rural dirt room in Lowndes County, Alabama.

Today, they finally released the information saying they were all killed. Of course they are not releasing exactly how they were killed or any motive in the case.

COSBY: And you know, Krista, we`re looking at pictures, looks like off this dirt road. A lot of blood at the scene. That looks like a pretty gruesome scene, sadly.

LITTLEFIELD: Very gruesome and, like you said, 22-year-old Deandra Lee, he actually has a background - he is a person of interest in the case. We have learned in 2008 he was found not guilty of a 2008 triple shooting in Selma, Alabama. Also we learned he lives on the exact same street as where the twins live with their mother in Montgomery, Alabama.

So, very shocking there that this is likely someone that the mother and this family knew.

COSBY: So, he lived on the same street. Again, everybody, this news is just breaking tonight as we find out sadly that it looks like there was a triple homicide, indeed, a person of interest in this case.

Krista, walk as though again. He lived near them? Do we know how long, if they knew each other?

LITTLEFIELD: We are not sure. The AVI, (INAUDIBLE) investigation is being very tightlipped about a lot of the details in the case thinking it would jeopardize the investigation. But his last known address was Montgomery, Alabama.

Just a couple of stores down from where I spoke to the mother this afternoon. She says the entire family is completely devastated over this triple murder, not only losing the 9-year-old precious twins but a very good friend, a 73-year-old Jack Girdner.

COSBY: It is such a tragic story.

Alexis Weed, what do we know as we`re looking at a picture of this wonderful friend of the family who was just taking care of the kids, trying to help out the family? What do we know about him?

WEED: Rita, this 73 year-year-old babysitter, he was known to have met this family in church. They went to the same church together, and he`s been watching these children for about three years. He babysits them. His mother had said to many of the local reporters there. That he took them on outings. That he just really took an interest in the children, really enjoyed being around them, taking care of them.

COSBY: Now he also had a nice car, right? Do we think that had anything to do with it? Do we know if the car has been found?

WEED: We don`t know if the car has been found at this point, Rita. However, earlier police were looking for the babysitter`s vehicle. It`s a 1988 Mercedes. They have not said anything more tonight yet, about the location of the vehicle or how maybe this -- the babysitter and the twins were intercepted and what happened here. We don`t know even why this 22- year-old has been named a person of interest at this point.

Let`s go to CW Jensen, retired police captain. How do you piece this together?

CW JENSEN, RETIRED POLICE CAPTAIN: Well, I want to let everybody know -- because people ask me all the time, what`s the difference between a suspect and a person of interest? And I say, nothing. They`re the same. They have information that points this suspect, this person of interest to these murders. Obviously they know he was there on the street. They`ve got some evidence. They`re throwing it out that he`s a person of interest but, believe me, there`s no other person of interest in this case but this bad guy.

COSBY: Let`s go to Dr. Michael Arnall. How do you piece it together? You`re a forensic pathologist. What kind of forensics could put this together and how did they tie this guy pretty quickly to the scene?

DOCTOR MICHAEL ARNALL, M.D., BOARD CERTIFIED FORENSIC PATHOLOGIST (via telephone): it could be a couple of ways. They may have found shell casings or something of that nature at the scene where they found the bodies, that are similar to the shell casings in this gentleman`s previous case, or people are creatures of habit. They may well have this babysitter and the kids going into some type of business as a habit, and they may have gotten some video indicating that someone was following this babysitter and the two kids out of the business or got into a car in the parking lot. So, there may be some video we don`t know about that police are using to develop this person of interest.

COSBY: And, Pat Brown, criminal profiler, author of "only the truth," what leads would you follow now?

Now, we have a triple homicide, two beautiful kids, a wonderful neighborhood guy who was trying to help out a family. How would you sort of follow the leads and get this person of interest?

PAT BROWN, CRIMINAL PROFILER, AUTHOR, ONLY THE TRUTH: Well, Rita, I think the police are being tightlipped for a number of reasons. There`s one bad guy. And the question is, yes, was this a carjacking? He saw them some place and try to steal the car and end up seeing everybody?

COSBY: By the way, Pat, you`re great at this stuff. What do you think? That was my sort of first reaction, it`s a Mercedes, that`s one, an elderly guy, too.

BROWN: But here is the problem, I think, the police are also looking at and they have to clear with the mother. They have to clear her. When she gave her interview, she said some things that were a little concerning. She said that the babysitter was a nice man. That`s before he was found out to be dead. Why didn`t she say he is a nice man. The first word out of her mouth was she wants to know what happened to her children, not that she wanted them back. Like she knew something had happened to them.

It was very peculiar. Her demeanor was odd. But as we all said, sometimes you said, people are shock. They have weird ways of behaving. But they have to clear her and find out if she has any connections to this man they are looking at as a suspect. So, they have to look at all the possibilities to figure this out.

COSBY: You know that -- some interesting points, Pat that you bring up. CW Jensen, retired police captain, I thought Pat just said some interesting phrasing. No indication that she is a suspect whatsoever but the verbiage is kind of interesting, but sometimes that just happens in the heat of the moment, don`t you think?

JENSEN: When I`ve interviewed people, they do, they say goofy things. They`re upset. But I mean, I think what she is saying is absolutely right. You can`t look at a case singularly. You`ve got to bifurcate it or look at different things.

So, was the mother involved? Was the mother`s sister involved? Was the suspect, you know, involved with the mother -- I mean, these things can just get so confusing. The bottom line is, right now, the police are comfortable enough to say that they have a suspect, a person of interest in this case, and if you know where this cat is, call the cops.

COSBY: And, you know, Pat Brown, they zoomed in on this guy pretty quickly, so there`s got to be some pieces there at the scene tying this guy. What do you think is connecting him so quickly?

BROWN: I`m not sure. Maybe they have some information through somebody else, considering where he lives, so near to the family. Obviously he`s a really bad guy, too. They know he`s there and looking at his pattern. This guy is dangerous as heck. And, where is he now? Maybe he`s just nowhere to be found right now.

I can`t really believe - you know, the carjacking thing is kind a weird to me because, yes, it`s a nice car but it`s 20-years-old. Is that really what you need to be stealing? On the other hand, he seems to be a piece of crap, so, who knows what was going through his head it at the time.

COSBY: Yes. Who knows what`s worth it to somebody. It sounds like a horrible individual.

Real quickly, Alexis Weed, he has a rap sheet a mile long it looks like.

WEED: It is a mile long, Rita. And it`s hard to know where to start. But this Lee, he was recently released from jail after standing trial and being acquitted of murder of two individuals and also involved in injury to another individual in a shooting in a 2008 shooting incident.

Also, he was charged with -- in 2012, January, charged with resisting arrest. Altercation of a firearm, obstruction of justice. Carrying a pistol without a license, Rita.

Also, February of this year, third-degree robbery charge. He was released, Rita, just in February on a $10,000 bond.
And, Krista, they narrowed in on this guy very fast, right?

LITTLEFIELD: Very quickly, within less than 24 hours. The bureau of investigation is considering him armed and very dangerous. He has a very long rap sheet. He`s out on bond and Dallas County, Alabama, for possession of firearm, resisting arrest and other charges.

And I`ve just been told by a family friend of the mother of the twins that she was in a relationship with Deandra Lee, being called a person of interest. Has not confirmed that, with the mother of the twins. This is coming from a family of the friend saying that she just broke that relationship off with him a couple of days ago. But it`s unclear exactly the details surrounding the motive of this murder and the details of how they were killed.

COSBY: That`s an interesting twist. Pat Brown, you`re hearing this as we are as we`re going to air. That`s an interesting connection that she knew this guy and was in a relationship with him.

BROWN: Well, there you go. I mean, it just seemed too odd to me he would pop out of nowhere would have any reason to do anything to children.

COSBY: Although, if you look at his rap sheet, that has a long rap sheet, you know, regardless.

BROWN: Right. But, he would be, you know, rise -- you still have to have a reason to commit a crime, and I didn`t think this particular gentleman was his target. So, that really bothered me.

Now the question is, was he angry with her and taking revenge on her, or is there something more to the story we don`t know? But clearly, if he`s involved, she knew at the time she was giving her statement that he probably had the kids.

Welcome Yourstarrangel!! I read an article yesterday about the 2008 incident and the trial. I think it was the victim's dad that commented about the injustice.

When this story first broke, several were wondering why there wasn't an amber alert issued since we had a car, a "suspect", and a time. I think that LE likely knew almost immediately that this dear man didn't take these kids. I do think that his reputation helped; plus there may have already been some suspicion about the real perp. Remember that they said early on that he didn't leave the town? I wonder if they have video or something. That may have helped them finger the perp very early as well.

I commend LE for working this case so well. It may have frustrated us because they didn't release information, but they knew who they were after. They probably didn't want to tip him off.

I hope that they find this quickly. I am still in shock at how bad the rap sheet is on some of these perps and yet they are out in society to offend again. :eek:

And joining us now on the phone is someone connected with that case. Wayne Moore, his son was murdered in 2008 and again, it was Deandra Lee, who authorities are looking for, was connected to this case. He got acquitted in this.

But Mr. Moore, tonight, as you look at the face of this guy, and now has some tie to what looks like a triple homicide with two beautiful kids and a man who was just trying to help them out, do you feel like he got away with murder the first time?

WAYNE MOORE, ACCUSED DEANDRA LEE OF KILLING HIS SON (via telephone): Yes, ma`am.

COSBY: What`s your reaction tonight? It must be heartbreaking for you, sir?

MOORE: Yes it is. So here, to see them beautiful kids to get their life took, they didn`t enjoy their life, you know. It`s a sad thing. You know, of course, number one, he should had never been put back out on the streets, you know. Because, you know, we had two witnesses, one died. And testified that he -- that he shot them, and then the other one that lived, he pointed him out on the stand, but they still put this murder person back out on the streets, you know.

COSBY: Yes. It must just be so upsetting you, to see these beautiful faces. And now, here is this guy with a rap sheet a mile long. What are your thoughts tonight? How dangerous is this man? You - you are familiar with him.

MOORE: Yes, ma`am, I am.

COSBY: What type of person is he?

MOORE: You know, I just knew him, never been around him, to me, he just -- he don`t have a heart. You can`t have a heart if you take children`s lives from them.
http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1206/06/ng.01.html

My heart breaks for him, it must be so hard for him to go through all this.

I will never understand.

It is one thing to have no concern for the lives of other innocent people but it seems like this person has none for his own either. He (apparently) got away with two murders once and instead of thanking his lucky stars and determining to make the best of the undeserved second chance he was given he wasted no time at all throwing his own future down the drain, and for what? An old Mercedes? Hard feelings from the break-up of a brief relationship?

JMO - could the mother have known that at least Mr. Gridner was gone...talking about him in the past tense, but thought the twins were okay with the ?

From the transcript:

MOORE: Yes it is. So here, to see them beautiful kids to get their life took, they didn`t enjoy their life, you know. It`s a sad thing. You know, of course, number one, he should had never been put back out on the streets, you know. Because, you know, we had two witnesses, one died. And testified that he -- that he shot them, and then the other one that lived, he pointed him out on the stand, but they still put this murder person back out on the streets, you know.

I wonder what he meant by that. Sounds like things weren't great at home and perhaps the good in their life was the babysitter.

I just realized that stands for person of interest. I had forgotten that and had assumed it stood for something else. Either way, it fits!

If he had a relationship with the guy, she had to have known at some point that he had disappeared from the neighborhood. Perhaps she told this to police. I'm sure they recognized his name right away.

I am guessing that the statement about Girdner never leaving the area was based on the report that someone had tried to sell the car in Selma. When they learned that, I think they knew they had something other than a child abduction.

There are sometimes transcription errors and I think this might have been one.

From the transcript:

I wonder what he meant by that. Sounds like things weren't great at home and perhaps the good in their life was the babysitter.

From the transcript:

I think he meant that they didn't have a chance to enjoy life. People probably get tongue-tied when they're on camera.

From the transcript:

I think it was just his way of speaking that made it sound that way. I think what he meant was because they lost their lives they will never be able to live their lives.

POI is a person of interest I think. I have always read as... something else.

He only needed 10% = $1, 000.00

OMG...I thought the amount he had to pay a bail bond service was $10,000 because his court bail was set at $100,000. What judge would give this guy with his history only a $10,000 bail when he could find a bail bond service and pay them $1000 (an amount that he could easily obtain)? :furious: Is there any way to check on this? TIA

Is there any reward for information leading to the arrest of this man?

This is so incredibly sad. It also upsets me that a lot of folks are so quick to jump and point fingers at what was a caring grandparent figure; and now at a mom. I understand we follow human misery and see the worst behavior; but sometimes I wonder if we are not becoming a little bit too cynical and contemptuous without facts. My .02

OMG...I thought the amount he had to pay a bail bond service was $10,000 because his court bail was set at $100,000. What judge would give this guy with his history only a $10,000 bail when he could find a bail bond service and pay them $1000 (an amount that he could easily obtain)? :furious: Is there any way to check on this? TIA

Is there any reward for information leading to the arrest of this man?

The judge couldn't consider the prior murder charges since he was acquitted in March 2011 for the 2008 crimes. Not sure how they handled the prior burglary charge re: outcome of plea, but since he was already wanted and a warrant had been issued BEFORE the 2008 arrest, he was probably credited for time served (as I suspect) when he sat in jail from 2008 until his acquittal in 2011.

So, considering the charges for which he was bonded out on were mostly for weapons violations I guess it is reasonable to assume the $10k bond was within guidelines and the judge's discretion.

Still, sickening.

I've been lurking and keeping up with reading, though not posting much today. I slacked pretty bad yesterday & I really need to earn my keep around this place called work today. ;)

If I hear any news via my LE source or the local grapevine I will jump in to post updates.

So sad for all involved here. I understand you Seattlechiquita, sometimes we are so anxious to have all the answers, it is hard to sit back and wait. Please don't bad mouth the Mom until or if there is actually something to talk about. I am sure she is inconsolable at this point. If things come up later, it won't have done any good to speculate at this point. Patience.
By the way, I hope they put a big reward out for this POI, (). Then, someone will gladly turn him in, jmo.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarlaJCarl
Back