AL - Jack Wiley & Glenna Cavender for child sexual abuse, Conecuh County, Jan 2006

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
http://www.al.com/news/mobileregister/index.ssf?/base/news/1139566655136500.xml&coll=3

Investigators continue search for proof of parentage of two alleged child sexual abuse victims

Friday, February 10, 2006 By CONNIE BAGGETT

Staff Reporter
EVERGREEN -- More than a week after samples from suspects and two children in an alleged sex abuse case were shipped to Texas for DNA testing, investigators here waited for results as they sifted through a complex web of fake names and Social Security numbers in the investigation.

"We were told they would have the results today (Thursday)," said District Attorney Tommy Chapman. "Maybe they'll be here in the morning."

The story drew national attention, landing Dean and Sheriff Tracy Hawsey and Deputy Bryan Davis in Chicago on Wednesday for a taping of the "Oprah Winfrey Show." Hawsey said he will leave today to appear on the Fox program "America's Most Wanted" for a live segment Saturday.

"People will be able to call in live and pass along tips in the case," Hawsey said. "We still have no way to know what they may have done all across the country."

<snip>

Hawsey said he ordered Wiley's transfer to the Covington County Jail last week after inmates in the Conecuh County Jail threatened Wiley.

<snip>

Hawsey said the DNA results could put the national media back on the town's streets with a frenzy.
"If we get information they are not both her children," Hawsey said, "it will be right back in the spotlight with force."

From the way Hawsey is talking, I don't think that he believes that the children are Glenna Faye's. I know that they are waiting on DNA tests but I am sure that they have tried to confirm their identities in other ways as I mentioned before. I get the impression that they have not been able to do so. It's a very simple thing to check a birth certificate. It sounds to me like they are not finding them. They should also be able to confirm the births by hospital records. Of course it is possible that she gave birth at home but I doubt that is the case.

Shadow205 said:
T
From the way Hawsey is talking, I don't think that he believes that the children are Glenna Faye's. I know that they are waiting on DNA tests but I am sure that they have tried to confirm their identities in other ways as I mentioned before. I get the impression that they have not been able to do so. It's a very simple thing to check a birth certificate. It sounds to me like they are not finding them. They should also be able to confirm the births by hospital records. Of course it is possible that she gave birth at home but I doubt that is the case.
I agree with you, it sure sounds like they don't believe the children are hers & it would be easy & quick to check birth records (maybe they're forged?). Like I've said before, it's strange that there's such a large (and suspect imho) age gap between the children and I really wonder why? Where there other children born? If so, what happened to them? I really hope these kids weren't kidnapped or bought but it's sure not looking good.

Early on I read that the boy said that he had been "homeschooled" by his "father" but that he had never seen a book. Now there are many reasons for homeschooling, but among those reasons are an attempt to keep the children out of the eye of authorities. I haven't heard if the girl was in enrolled in any school, but I think it is likely she was in the same position as the boy.

Just watched AMW and got a little new information. Wiley is a sex offender in the state of Wisconsin. According to Glenna Faye, thaey picked up a woman who had an 11 year old daughter in Washington state. She said that they stayed with them for about 4 months and that Wiley had sexual contact with her during that time. She seemed evasive on how they parted ways or what happened to them. I think that is something that needs looked into further. She also mentioned something about an incident in New Mexico. She said that she was working as a stripper in Kentucky and that is when the incident happened with the 12 year old boy. According to Glenna Faye, she met Wiley at a truck stop in Michigan. I think that I got it all. Well that is some details that we didn't have yet.

Glenna also said that on the 12 year old boy that after they had sex, she guessed he went back to where he came from. I thought that was an interesting way to say it. She also said that when the little girl was in bed with them, she never saw anything- but she heard him tell the little girl to back up against him, and she said she felt the bed move!
Wiley denied ever having sex with kids, of course. He never mentioned that he had a sex conviction. Does anyone know what he was convicted of, or if it was an adult or child?
I was hoping there would be some mention of the DNA, but they didn't even discuss the question of parentage of the children. Though they never called either Wiley or Marshall mother or father, I don't think.

I don't remember what the charge was or if it was an adult or child victim but it was Fresno, CA. and he is not listed as a registered sex offender in CA. I think that Glenna Faye is singing like a song bird to try and safe her sorry butt. Strange that there was no mention of the DNA tests.

They first estimated it would be back early last week and nothing, they they said last Thurs. and nothing. I am checking every day, and still nothing.

I wonder what the teenager has said. Does he remember when the little girl started living with them or remember when the woman was pregnant with the little girl? He's old enough to have the answers to some of the questions.

If that woman was telling the truth about the kids she should be able to give LE dates of birth....hospitals....people who knew her when she was pregnant with both kids, etc. Something that LE could check out for the truth. I won't be surprised if neither of the kids belong to her.

I wish the DNA results would hurry up and get back. Can't wait to see what the results are.

I think that LE has gotten the DNA test results back. Something to consider is that they have already released the info that both kids have been sexually abused. LE does not like to release the name of sexual assault victims. How do they go about releasing the names of these kids now that they have released that they were both victims of sexual abuse? In most cases where a missing child has been found, their picture would be all over the news. Now that it has been established that these kids are victims of sexual abuse, to release any identifying information would also be releasing the idenity of a sexual abuse victim. Just a thought....

I can imagine that scenario if they were able to make an immediate match for the child. But if the child is not matched to a missing child, I can't imagine them not announcing the results. After all, if not a match then the priority would be to get the info out, so that they can begin the matching process.
However, if the DNA did match to one or both of the couple, then I am not sure what they will do. The case would now be in the prosecutor's hands as the couple has gone before the Grand Jury, and been formally charged. Sheriff may be still investigating other aspects of the case (fraud, etc) but the part about the kids would be in the pros. hands. So the fact that the child did belong to one or both of them, could be considered as a part of the sex abuse if that occurs. Does Ala. have separate charges for incest? If so, then the delay on the announcement could be due to the fact that they are preparing additional charges.

Investigators continue search for proof of parentage of two alleged child sexual abuse victims

Friday, February 10, 2006 By CONNIE BAGGETT

Staff Reporter
EVERGREEN -- More than a week after samples from suspects and two children in an alleged sex abuse case were shipped to Texas for DNA testing, investigators here waited for results as they sifted through a complex web of fake names and Social Security numbers in the investigation.

"We were told they would have the results today (Thursday)," said District Attorney Tommy Chapman. "Maybe they'll be here in the morning."

According to that article, the DA thought that they would have the results on February 11th.

BillyGoatGruff said:
It's probably going to take awhile. DNA tests take longer than they do on CSI.

I have been checking every day, and haven't found any new info since that article.
I can't decide if it means that one or both of them turns out to be the parents, or if they are just saving any new info for the next court date while they are investigating a missing child. I would think that if it was their child, they would want to reassure the public. But I would also think that if this was a missing child, they would want to make this info public also. The only scenario I can see for this is if they have found who the child really is, and are waiting on further DNA tests to come back.

mysteriew said:
I have been checking every day, and haven't found any new info since that article.
I can't decide if it means that one or both of them turns out to be the parents, or if they are just saving any new info for the next court date while they are investigating a missing child. I would think that if it was their child, they would want to reassure the public. But I would also think that if this was a missing child, they would want to make this info public also. The only scenario I can see for this is if they have found who the child really is, and are waiting on further DNA tests to come back.
Depends on what lab they sent it to and whether or not something more important (murder case or what have you) pushed it to the back burner, or if the guy who runs the sequencer took vacation, etc.

District Attorney Tommy Chapman said the missing children center offered to provide at no cost to the county DNA testing with results available in three days rather than the weeks state testing would take. Chapman said local officials eagerly accepted the offer from the nonprofit child advocacy group.

Don't think that this got pushed to the back burner. Steps were taken to speed things up and they expected the results in three days. Something else obviously is going on.

I thought I remembered that, Shadow. I'm sure they know but are just not releasing the info right now.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3
Back