GUILTY AL - Kathleen "Kat" West, 42, murdered, Calera, 13 Jan 2018 *husband arrested*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Even if she slipped and fell, someone would have had to turn her over in order for her to face down, which is how she was found. I also doubt the bottle would have landed perfectly on top of her phone.

Where did you hear this? I'd like to see the context. Is there a grand jury specifically for this case or is it that there just happens to be a grand jury convening in this county? Alabama doesn't require grand jury indictment and this seems like perhaps an odd case for one. Could be that the DA is unsure whether to bring 2nd degree or manslaughter type charges.

It was speculations I have read and I stated that. Not stating fact and no credible link to include. I was asking is it possible they are taking to the grand jury prior to an arrest because I was unsure if that was a possibility.

Same here regarding 50/50. I would think someone would hear something if she was being chased out of her house and/or there was rage/anger. I'm perplexed.

And, WRT the the grand jury/arrest stuff... I just read these links :thinking: I must be reading all this incorrectly (which wouldn't be the first time! lol) Or maybe either scenario can occur.

http://criminal.findlaw.com/criminal-law-basics/what-happens-when-you-re-charged-with-a-crime.html

"How does a criminal case get filed? First, there is an arrest and the police report that follows. The prosecutor then reads the police report and decides whether or not the arrested should be charged with a crime. Alternatively, the prosecutor can go to a grand jury and ask them to decide what criminal charges should be filed (an indictment). Finally, a judge holds a preliminary hearing where he or she decides whether there is enough evidence to proceed."

And, the "When and why does a case go to a grand jury?" part here:

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/6-your-questions-about-grand-juries-answered

Fred&Edna, I should probably walk back my answer a bit. Often time the police will make an arrest first, then charges filed by the prosecutor. However, often times the police will conduct their investigation and then just hand everything to prosecutor. Then the prosecutor will decide if he wants to file charges and have the defendant arrested. That is either decided by a grand jury in the form of an indictment, or just decided by the Prosecutor in the form of filing an Information with the court listing the charges.

I am wondering the police are waiting for DNA test results to come back. I believe it was the Mayor that said that there should be some sort of information or release or something in a week or so. So that could be end of this week or early next. I thought it was a bit odd to hear that from the Mayor.

Fred&Edna, I should probably walk back my answer a bit. Often time the police will make an arrest first, then charges filed by the prosecutor. However, often times the police will conduct their investigation and then just hand everything to prosecutor. Then the prosecutor will decide if he wants to file charges and have the defendant arrested. That is either decided by a grand jury in the form of an indictment, or just decided by the Prosecutor in the form of filing an Information with the court listing the charges.

Oh my gosh... Leave it to me to question a verified attorney!! :D

I just noticed your qualification! :blushing:

Well, I wasn't too far off (kinda/sorta).

Oh my gosh... Leave it to me to question a verified attorney!! :D

I just noticed your qualification! :blushing:

Well, I wasn't too far off (kinda/sorta).

You should ALWAYS question an attorney! LOL. Anyway, grand juries are almost never used in my area. They are allowed by statute, but is just much easier for the prosecutors to file charges by Information.

I just want to know why people keep suggesting an accident?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad to hear an announcement will be made soon. I think those statements from the police chief go to show that they have a suspect in mind and are just waiting to build a strong case. I'm still leaning toward the husband being involved. His showing up on the scene in the morning is too much of a coincidence to me. I'm wondering what his alibi to police has been? Re: the bottle and phone: IMO she could've been murdered in the home and then the killer tries to stage her body for it to look like an accidental death. Placing the bottle to show she was drunk. Of course I still don't know how the phone fits in this scenario. Just a theory, although I'm hoping I'm wrong for the sake of Kat's daughter.

I just want to know why people keep suggesting an accident?

Other than an accident I see only a couple of other possible scenarios. Killed in the home & carried outside or killed elsewhere and brought to the vicinity of her home & dumped. Both seem preposterous to me. jmo. As I relayed earlier, I had a relative who came home by taxi after spending the evening drinking. He fell in the garage & died. I guess if he would have been dropped off a block from home & fell it would be a big murder mystery.

Other than an accident I see only a couple of other possible scenarios. Killed in the home & carried outside or killed elsewhere and brought to the vicinity of her home & dumped. Both seem preposterous to me. jmo. As I relayed earlier, I had a relative who came home by taxi after spending the evening drinking. He fell in the garage & died. I guess if he would have been dropped off a block from home & fell it would be a big murder mystery.

Particularly if he were pretty much naked.... [emoji846]

JMO logic says she wasn't killed outside at the location, would have been too much of a commotion, yelling and possibly neighbour dogs barking. So was she killed in the house and and carried outside and staged, I doubt it, because the husband would already be under arrest with the massive amount of blood found at the house. Unless, of course the husband painstakingly tries to clean the scene because he's panicked and has a couple hours, and the initial early morning house visit from LE appears ordinary. Sounds most definitely that they're waiting on test results imo.

I don’t believe it’s an accident. I’m asking why others are thinking that? What evidence leads people to that conclusion? Also fights can happen and be a lot quieter than what people realize.

Could you please provide a link for this.

I do see this from an article “The body of Kathleen Dawn West, 42, was discovered sometime around 5 a.m. Saturday in the 100 block of Green Wood Circle. Calera Police Chief Sean Lemley that day said the case is being treated as a homicide but has not revealed the cause of death,”

I don’t believe it’s an accident. I’m asking why others are thinking that? What evidence leads people to that conclusion? Also fights can happen and be a lot quieter than what people realize.

I think it most likely was an accident. No evidence that it was has been provided yet. It is a possibility. Alternative theories don't make sense to me. I think if it was an accident, le would take their time before declaring it.

I think it most likely was an accident. No evidence that it was has been provided yet. It is a possibility. Alternative theories don't make sense to me. I think if it was an accident, le would take their time before declaring it.

If this had been an accident, the local Sheriff would not have publicly stated that this case was considered a homicide. LE obviously is privy to details that the public is not going to make the determination of homicide without good reason.

"Calera Police Chief Sean Lemley the day of West's death said the case is being treated as a homicide but has not revealed the cause of death, citing the ongoing investigation."

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/20...medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuLuWooWoo
Back