GUILTY AL - Kathleen "Kat" West, 42, murdered, Calera, 13 Jan 2018 *husband arrested*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I think he was probably chasing after her, and wanted to get the phone away from her, so she couldn't call for help. After she fell, he took the phone from her and laid down his weapon (the bottle) and checked to see if she was still alive. After he realized he killed her, he probably didn't know what to do - he could have called for help, but didn't, he could have covered her up, or carried her into the house, but didn't do that either.

I don't know if they tested him for intoxication (they should have) but he wasn't doing anything that made sense to us, because he was probably intoxicated and not thinking logically.

LE stated in a round about way, that they have cell phone evidence, and they knew exactly what happened that night. Yes, I believe also they were extremely intoxicated that night, and something happened fast. I wonder to what extent the husband went to stage the scene. Did she have clothes on, and were her clothes removed after she was incapacitated?

No doubt there would have been blood mess to deal with somewhere in the house IMO. Looks like he had a few drunken hours to clean the scene, and figure out what he was going to do. From the FB pics looks like they had two dogs, being a dog lover myself I wonder how those poor dogs reacted while the deed was being done.

With injuries to the head, you never know. A blow to the wrong place doesn’t even need to be that strong. Intracranial bleeding can be fatal. People have dropped dead from a punch from a fist, or a bump on the head that didn’t seem very serious. (Actress Natasha Richardson died hours after brushing off a bump to her head while skiing. She didn’t think it needed medical attention!)

And,conversely, head wounds can bleed a LOT and be just a tiny superficial cut with no serious injury to the skull or its contents.

This could be a combination of the two. The bottle could've caused a deadly internal injury & she could've gotten a smaller superficial injury that caused massive bleeding when she fell. Or vice versa. The autopsy report will clear that up when & if it's released.

I do pray it was quick for her. I can't imagine dying at the hands of a loved one. My heart breaks for the daughter who not only lost both parents<modsnip>

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With injuries to the head, you never know. A blow to the wrong place doesn&#8217;t even need to be that strong. Intracranial bleeding can be fatal. People have dropped dead from a punch from a fist, or a bump on the head that didn&#8217;t seem very serious. (Actress Natasha Richardson died hours after brushing off a bump to her head while skiing. She didn&#8217;t think it needed medical attention!)

And,conversely, head wounds can bleed a LOT and be just a tiny superficial cut with no serious injury to the skull or its contents.

Good point. Also interesting that there was no blood trail.. so he must have either killed her there or physically put her there

I use to work in the nightclub scene, bottle service and bartender, I&#8217;ve seen my share of people getting smashed with bottles. I saw a guy get hit with a absolute bottle it shattered over his head and the man still swung on the guy that hit him with the bottle. You have to seriously put some force into hitting someone to kill them with a bottle. That&#8217;s just insane. Furthermore it makes me think the bottle was very much full, maybe husband wasn&#8217;t as drunk as we think.......

I'd be very interested in seeing what his military career looked like. Including discharge.
As an MP, he is trained to kill. IF he served any time in combat, he may have PTSD. Even if he didn't serve in combat, it's not surprising to have a controlling personality in ex-military members. They have learned to have everything 'squared away' because constant thinking and analyzing, routine and uniformity have saved their lives at times.
NOT an excuse but I can tell you from experience that there are often anger issues present in those that have it.
You would not believe some of the silly, tiny, things that can cause a full-throttle blowup and anger outburst.
I've seen it happen when a person could not find the correct ink pen that they were looking for. It's not about the argument, oh no, it is much deeper and as the cop said, these things can escalate quickly.
Adding alcohol...oh boy. Add her career path. I am not surprised one bit that this happened.

reminds me of this old case -

Conviction from 1992 killing in Poplar Bluff overturned by court
Saturday, January 19, 2008
The Associated Press

In addition to DNA evidence, the state cited (Sam) Freeman's possession of a (Galliano) bottle hours before (Laura) Wynn was killed, a bottle the state said could have been used to strike Wynn on the head and sodomize her.

But Chief Judge Gary Lynch said the presence of DNA and Freeman's possession of the bottle as he left the bar, "seven or eight blocks removed from the crime scene, is not sufficient evidence from which a reasonable juror could reasonably and logically infer that [he] caused [Wynn[']s] death."

http://www.semissourian.com/story/1305202.html

Forensic Files - Season 11 Episode 42 - Message in a Bottle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpGBT71kudE

i wonder if in the end this case will end up being manslaughter that all stemmed from booze.
see comments from a friend of Jeff's below:

A friend of West's, Mike Waters, said the death was an alcohol-fuelled accident
in a since-deleted Facebook post, according to the Daily Mail.

"I was able to talk to my friend Jeff last night in length.
In the upcoming days true facts will be coming out", Mr Waters wrote on January 20.

"And everybody will find out that this was a terrible accident,
that involved excessive alcohol consumption &#8230;. Absinthe! ''

in the end is still no less tragic...heck makes it even more so.
https://www.dailymercury.com.au/news/husband-kills-adult-performer-wife-with-bottle/3345513/

i wonder if in the end this case will end up being manslaughter that all stemmed from booze.
see comments from a friend of Jeff's below:

A friend of West's, Mike Waters, said the death was an alcohol-fuelled accident
in a since-deleted Facebook post, according to the Daily Mail.

"I was able to talk to my friend Jeff last night in length.
In the upcoming days true facts will be coming out", Mr Waters wrote on January 20.

"And everybody will find out that this was a terrible accident,
that involved excessive alcohol consumption …. Absinthe! ''

in the end is still no less tragic...heck makes it even more so.
https://www.dailymercury.com.au/news/husband-kills-adult-performer-wife-with-bottle/3345513/

Sorry, I ain’t buying what he and his friends are selling. Not with all that blood and the way her body was staged out in the street. I think he was trying to make it look like maybe it was somebody she interacted with online and that she had been raped. Whether he did this after the fact when he panicked, or if it was premeditated I’m not sure. I lean against premeditation though, especially if alcohol is involved.

His odd behavior when her body was found is also a big clue to me And the fact that the murder weapon was so carefully placed on her phone.

yes i see your point...could be....however maybe in a booze rage he freaked out (like most of us would) and tried to cover his tracks instead of owning up to it which was stupid and cowardly.
guess we'll see if premed makes any sense once we see more of how they interacted etc via texts, cell calls, friends/relatives imput.
rit will be interesting to see what both the defense and prosecution angles are once it finally moves to trial.

that is the thing about booze, esp amongst couples that maybe aren't being 100% honest with one another: too much of it can allow simmering hostilities/grudges/hurts etc to boil up to the surface and take a whole new more aggressive life of their own.
maybe deep inside he wasn't happy with her online activities but she wasn't going to give them up....who knows...we'll find out in the coming months.

Sorry, I ain&#8217;t buying what he and his friends are selling. Not with all that blood and the way her body was staged out in the street. I think he was trying to make it look like maybe it was somebody she interacted with online and that she had been raped. Whether he did this after the fact when he panicked, or if it was premeditated I&#8217;m not sure. I lean against premeditation though, especially if alcohol is involved.

His odd behavior when her body was found is also a big clue to me And the fact that the murder weapon was so carefully placed on her phone.

Yup, "boozie accident" will conflict with the cell evidence. Playing devils advocate, is husband a narcissist that used his military/policing training to drunkenly stage the scene? Kinda looks that way.

Ugh, had a feeling about he husband and the bottle. Here's the thing - some liquor bottles are made of REALLY thick glass so they wouldn't necessarily break upon contact. That being said, I think he would have had to strike her multiple times and/or HARD to result in death. Poor Kat. I still can't understand why he placed the murder weapon there.. it's almost like this was a message of some sort

Forensic studies have shown that skull fractures resulting from blows to the head with glass bottles can be considered rare events.

Even in the cases in which death was attributable to the blow with the glass bottle, the actual cause of death was not related to mechanical damage of bony structures or to brain injury (e.g., comminuted skull fractures or severe cerebral contusions). Here, rather exsanguination from the inflicted lacerations was found to be responsible for fatal outcome. Biomechanically relevant factors that are determined by the bottle size, fullness, etc, are less of an issue with resultant injury than amount of hair, the thickness of the scalp, the configuration and thickness of the skull, and the elasticity of bone.

Mrs. West’s autopsy may shed more light.

I went to college in Alabama and the good old network is alive and well in some parts of small towns USA. I somehow knew it was the husband that did it..I mean who else could it have been? I never really thought her online life played a part in her murder but I'm betting her husband thought it would! I haven't commented on Websleuths very much so if I'm not abiding by the rules please let me know.. I'm a Redditor but this particular crime has not been discussed much there?

This particular crime is just heartbreaking to me..her daughter looses her Mother and her parents loose their daughter and I'm just betting that it was a drunk crazy senseless fight? I also thought the husband probably thought that he would not be looked at or would get off on this crime by the online presence his wife had. I hope that's not the case..Kat and her family deserves justice!

I went to college in Alabama and the good old network is alive and well in some parts of small towns USA.

Respectfully snipped for focus:

I agree 100,000% as a current resident of Alabama (and being born here) that the Good Ole Network is alive and well. I was afraid Kat wouldn't see justice because of it, to be quite honest.

Can any of the attorneys here enlighten us as to when we'll see the charges filed? I think that will tell us a lot about what happened that night regarding if he's charged with first or second degree murder.

I feel bad for JW's father as well. No one wants to believe their child could be capable of such a heinous crime.

Respectfully snipped for focus:

I agree 100,000% as a current resident of Alabama (and being born here) that the Good Ole Network is alive and well. I was afraid Kat wouldn't see justice because of it, to be quite honest.

I don't understand what you mean that the Good Ole Network is alive & well. What is the relevance to this case? tia

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Back