GUILTY AL - Kathleen "Kat" West, 42, murdered, Calera, 13 Jan 2018 *husband arrested*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
What do you mean?

Assuming that was her husband with her, in the liquor store surveillance video, I believe the clerk reported that they seemed happy and it was date night, and two bottles were purchased, one being a green bottle of Lucid absinthe. The husband also posted a pic on FB of the same bottle with two wine glasses beside it for date night. Could this be the same green bottle, found meticulously placed on top of her cell phone near her body, as reported? Trying to connect the dots.

The liquor store clerk said , it LOOKED like a date night, not that it was a date night. I don't believe that is her husband with her in the liquor store! Hope they get a good look at this guy he might be the killer. JMO

Most are saying that the man in the liquor store video looks like her husband. He’s kind of goofy looking; how likely is it that she would be out with another man who resembles her husband so closely and in her own town? Very unlikely. Also, I don’t know where this “less than 33% of women murdered were killed by their husbands” came from, but it’s not correct; the Centers for Disease Control has it at 55%. Even that seems low to me as I watch Investigation Discovery all the time and the cases they cherry pick for that channel show most women murdered were murdered by a romantic partner. I understand that they are “cherry picking” cases to show, but the percentage of women murdered by romantic partners is high. If she and her husband did go and get alcohol a few hours before she was found, it’s pretty safe to assume she was with her husband when “something” happened. They weren’t drinking beer or wine or something “light”; they were buying hard liquor. What happened in that home that night?

More than 55 percent of the deaths were related to partner violence, and the vast majority of those were carried out by a male partner.

More than half of female homicide victims were killed in connection to intimate partner violence — and in 10 percent of those cases, violence shortly before the killing might have provided an opportunity for intervention.

That is according to a new report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, published Thursday, that takes a close look at the homicides of women.

I wanna know what happened too.

Here we have a self styled Marylin Monroe "look-a-like"......entrepreneur....exabitionist........mom, wife.....found dead with a bloody head in just a bra....wth?

Most are saying that the man in the liquor store video looks like her husband. He’s kind of goofy looking; how likely is it that she would be out with another man who resembles her husband so closely and in her own town? Very unlikely. Also, I don’t know where this “less than 33% of women murdered were killed by their husbands” came from, but it’s not correct; the Centers for Disease Control has it at 55%. Even that seems low to me as I watch Investigation Discovery all the time and the cases they cherry pick for that channel show most women murdered were murdered by a romantic partner. I understand that they are “cherry picking” cases to show, but the percentage of women murdered by romantic partners is high. If she and her husband did go and get alcohol a few hours before she was found, it’s pretty safe to assume she was with her husband when “something” happened. They weren’t drinking beer or wine or something “light”; they were buying hard liquor. What happened in that home that night?

You are combining all intimate partners. I specifically made it clear I was only talking about male spouses.

Intimate partner definition concerning domestic violence including murder uses all types of intimate partners (legal definition) collectively, past or present to come to the 55% total.

Historically called "domestic violence," "intimate partner violence" describes physical, sexual, or psychological harm by a current or former intimate partner or spouse. This type of violence can occur among heterosexual or same-sex couples.

I haven't researched it yet but I would think an ex-lover, ex-boyfriend, or estranged or ex- spouse etc. would be more likely in the top category of those who murder their prior intimate partner.

We have read links here many times that a female is in more danger of being murdered right after she leaves her domestic partner, married or unmarried than at any other time.

Since so many women are single now and aren't getting married today but many are deciding to live with a live-in boyfriend I believe they would be in the higher intimate partner bracket than male spouses who are still with their spouse who were not estranged. No one has said that this couple had any marital problems. As I read the mother's FB most everyone who knows them is praying for all of them including her husband. If the mother thought he was involved I highly doubt she would let all of those endearing comments remain.

I am not so sure this is her husband in the video but if it is she seems very flirty with him and she seems like she may have already been drinking before going to the liquor store.

If this is not her husband then I am sure LE is trying to locate this man.

There is no evidence that I have seen stating just because he may have been with her earlier in the evening means he was there with her when she was killed.

IMO

You are combining all intimate partners. I specifically made it clear I was only talking about male spouses.

Intimate partner definition concerning domestic violence including murder uses all types of intimate partners (legal definition) collectively, past or present to come to the 55% total.

Historically called "domestic violence," "intimate partner violence" describes physical, sexual, or psychological harm by a current or former intimate partner or spouse. This type of violence can occur among heterosexual or same-sex couples.

I haven't researched it yet but I would think an ex-lover, ex-boyfriend, or estranged or ex- spouse etc. would be more likely in the top category of those who murder their prior intimate partner.

We have read links here many times that a female is in more danger of being murdered right after she leaves her domestic partner, married or unmarried than at any other time.

Since so many women are single now and aren't getting married today but many are deciding to live with a live-in boyfriend I believe they would be in the higher intimate partner bracket than male spouses who are still with their spouse who were not estranged. No one has said that this couple had any marital problems. As I read the mother's FB most everyone who knows them is praying for all of them including her husband. If the mother thought he was involved I highly doubt she would let all of those endearing comments remain.

I am not so sure this is her husband in the video but if it is she seems very flirty with him and she seems like she may have already been drinking before going to the liquor store.

If this is not her husband then I am sure LE is trying to locate this man.

There is no evidence that I have seen stating just because he may have been with her earlier in the evening means he was there with her when she was killed.

IMO

And the link I posted also made it clear, these are male spouses and romantic partners who are killing women. You obviously didn't read what was linked if you're saying that I'm "combining all intimate partners". No, I'm not. I'm talking about women killed by male romantic partners and the CDC makes that clear.

You seem intent on exonerating the husband, which I find very curious. Whether or not the police called him a POA, the husband is always the first suspect. Always. They start with the husband and work from there.

She was in her own town, in a liquor store buying hard alcohol with a man who looks just like her kind of goofy looking husband about eight hours before she was found dead. Her husband had Facebook photos with what appears to be the same green bottle of hard alcohol as they were buying and was found later with her dead body. All of this is very strange.
Who Is Killing American Women? Their Husbands And Boyfriends, CDC Confirms.

A new report finds that most female homicides involve domestic violence.

Most murders of American women involve domestic violence, according to a report released by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on Thursday.

I'm not ready to exonerate the husband at this point as it appears he was "on the scene" and drinking heavily with his wife the night she was killed. Again, what happened in that home that night? Is this Websleuths or is this "circle the wagon around the husband" forum? Because the way I see it, the husband has a lot of explaining to do.

If you look at her Facebook she has numerous pictures of her husband, many of them if not most, he’s wearing Underarmor brand clothes. He seemed to own a lot items from that brand. Look at the hat in the video, and sweatshirt.
I totally think it’s him she’s with. Not only does it look like him, but their body language and overall happy behavior leads me to believe it’s a couple that is familiar and comfortable with each other.
Just because he is at the liquor store with her doesn’t make him the killer- just want to make that clear so no one comes out thinking I’m accusing him.
Beautiful woman gone too soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you look at her Facebook she has numerous pictures of her husband, many of them if not most, he’s wearing Underarmor brand clothes. He seemed to own a lot items from that brand. Look at the hat in the video, and sweatshirt.
I totally think it’s him she’s with. Not only does it look like him, but their body language and overall happy behavior leads me to believe it’s a couple that is familiar and comfortable with each other.
Just because he is at the liquor store with her doesn’t make him the killer- just want to make that clear so no one comes out thinking I’m accusing him.
Beautiful woman gone too soon.

And it might not be him. I'm not saying he did do it but I am also not ready to exonerate him either. I think it IS him in the video; again this was at a liquor store in her own town with a man who looks very much like her husband patting her on the rear. Who else would it be? All the news articles are saying she had a "double life" but it doesn't actually appear that she did. I suspect the husband knew about her online money-making activities and there is nothing to suggest she was "stepping out" on her husband. Pictures do not equal unfaithfulness.

I guarantee the police are going to want to know exactly what they did after leaving that liquor store up to the time the body was found. Possibly he got very drunk and passed out and something else happened to her but that is unlikely. The most likely scenario is that something happened inside that home that caused her death.

And it might not be him. I'm not saying he did do it but I am also not ready to exonerate him either. I think it IS him in the video; again this was at a liquor store in her own town with a man who looks very much like her husband patting her on the rear. Who else would it be? All the news articles are saying she had a "double life" but it doesn't actually appear that she did. I suspect the husband knew about her online money-making activities and there is nothing to suggest she was "stepping out" on her husband. Pictures do not equal unfaithfulness.

I guarantee the police are going to want to know exactly what they did after leaving that liquor store up to the time the body was found. Possibly he got very drunk and passed out and something else happened to her but that is unlikely. The most likely scenario is that something happened inside that home that caused her death.

I think the media is crap and this case just proves it to me. The media, ran with whatever comments or theories they read online and turned them into facts about the case. Then, that same source turns around in another article and states how online discussions are hindering the investigation??
Wait, what?? It’s 2018- we’re all entitled to our opinion. We are allowed to discuss and theorize what we think may or may not have happened. If someone chooses to virtually eavesdrop on a random discussion, then turn around and blast those things people say as “news” than that’s just poor journalism. The enquirer wouldn’t even sink that low...well maybe they would. However the media themselves came out with their outlandish statements about this woman and her lifestyle. Then when people discuss or theorize on it they’re trashing her?
Ok. I’m done now. Just had to say it. It was bugging me hardcore!

I think the media is crap and this case just proves it to me. The media, ran with whatever comments or theories they read online and turned them into facts about the case. Then, that same source turns around in another article and states how online discussions are hindering the investigation??
Wait, what?? It’s 2018- we’re all entitled to our opinion. We are allowed to discuss and theorize what we think may or may not have happened. If someone chooses to virtually eavesdrop on a random discussion, then turn around and blast those things people say as “news” than that’s just poor journalism. The enquirer wouldn’t even sink that low...well maybe they would. However the media themselves came out with their outlandish statements about this woman and her lifestyle. Then when people discuss or theorize on it they’re trashing her?
Ok. I’m done now. Just had to say it. It was bugging me hardcore!

I'm right there with you on that and that "what people are saying online is hindering the investigation" is just Fake News BS. Any police detective worth his or her salt is never going to put much stock into what people are saying on comment threads or forums and fail to look at the real-life evidence of the case. How can forum or Facebook comments "hinder" anything? They can't. Again, that is just "journalist BS" that they like to go around saying in cases like this.

And the link I posted also made it clear, these are male spouses and romantic partners who are killing women. You obviously didn't read what was linked if you're saying that I'm "combining all intimate partners". No, I'm not. I'm talking about women killed by male romantic partners and the CDC makes that clear.

You seem intent on exonerating the husband, which I find very curious. Whether or not the police called him a POA, the husband is always the first suspect. Always. They start with the husband and work from there.

She was in her own town, in a liquor store buying hard alcohol with a man who looks just like her kind of goofy looking husband about eight hours before she was found dead. Her husband had Facebook photos with what appears to be the same green bottle of hard alcohol as they were buying and was found later with her dead body. All of this is very strange.

I'm not ready to exonerate the husband at this point as it appears he was "on the scene" and drinking heavily with his wife the night she was killed. Again, what happened in that home that night? Is this Websleuths or is this "circle the wagon around the husband" forum? Because the way I see it, the husband has a lot of explaining to do.

Agree 100% the husband has a lot of explaining to do. LE is now faced with a homicide case that has gained international attention. I'm sure the small town police force was not prepared for the media circus, and are keeping everything tight to the chest, a wise move imo.

scenarios:
1) she's inebriated, leaves the house nude with the liquor and a phone to call a ride.
2) she's dropped off or left in front nude by her 'date'
3) her clothing was either removed or she didn't have time to dress

random attacker is way down my list of suspects

scenarios:
1) she's inebriated, leaves the house nude with the liquor and a phone to call a ride.
2) she's dropped off or left in front nude by her 'date'
3) her clothing was either removed or she didn't have time to dress

random attacker is way down my list of suspects

Being that she was found on the neighbor’s side of the street, is it possible she could have gone to a neighbor’s house,things went very wrong and was trying to run back home but collapsed and died where she was found? I’m sure this can be debunked but thought I’d throw it out there.

Being that she was found on the neighbor’s side of the street, is it possible she could have gone to a neighbor’s house,things went very wrong and was trying to run back home but collapsed and died where she was found? I’m sure this can be debunked but thought I’d throw it out there.

It's possible but remember that whatever happened took place in the wee hours of the morning. She was seen at the liquor store at almost 9pm and was found dead on the ground by the neighbor girl at 5am. So sometime in that 8 hour stretch she met the reaper. Not as if you'd be visiting the neighbors at those hours usually. Sounds to me like she was found on the property of the neighbor girl who found her so I don't think she was visiting there.

The guy in the video is almost for sure her husband. Now we don't know what took place after they left the liquor store but he was at home the next morning because he came out when her body was found. So he was with her in the evening and was at home in the early morning hours when she was found. Who knows how much one or both of them drank. They did purchase very hard alcohol so they may have gotten extremely drunk. Was it an anniversary or something or just a "date night"? She seemed pretty happy at the liquor store from what I could see.

Does anyone know how the husband found out about his wife? Did the neighbors knock on his door or did he just come out of his own accord? How did that happen, does anyone know?

I don’t believe she was in the yard of the girl who found her because I read somewhere that the girls dad drove them back to where her body was. Anyone have that link??

I don’t believe she was in the yard of the girl who found her because I read somewhere that the girls dad drove them back to where her body was. Anyone have that link??

Well, neighbors said they "heard no commotion" so no one admitted to her having been in their home:

Neighbors said they didn't hear any commotion Friday night or Saturday morning at the West home. One man, who asked that his name not be used, said his daughter made the gruesome discovery when she was heading to work.

She saw the woman in the roadway and went back home to get her father. He said West was face down, partially in the street and partially in the grass of the across-the-street neighbor's yard. He touched her back to see if she was breathing, and she was not, he said.

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2018/01/kat_wests_death_what_we_know_a.html

So the girl who found her was "heading to work" and it says she was in the yard of the neighbor across the street. Doesn't sound like it's the home of the neighbor girl who found her but I don't see anything about the father driving her back to where the body was.

It's possible but remember that whatever happened took place in the wee hours of the morning. She was seen at the liquor store at almost 9pm and was found dead on the ground by the neighbor girl at 5am. So sometime in that 8 hour stretch she met the reaper. Not as if you'd be visiting the neighbors at those hours usually. Sounds to me like she was found on the property of the neighbor girl who found her so I don't think she was visiting there.

The guy in the video is almost for sure her husband. Now we don't know what took place after they left the liquor store but he was at home the next morning because he came out when her body was found. So he was with her in the evening and was at home in the early morning hours when she was found. Who knows how much one or both of them drank. They did purchase very hard alcohol so they may have gotten extremely drunk. Was it an anniversary or something or just a "date night"? She seemed pretty happy at the liquor store from what I could see.

Does anyone know how the husband found out about his wife? Did the neighbors knock on his door or did he just come out of his own accord? How did that happen, does anyone know?

Good question about how the husband came out upon the scene at 5am or very shortly after. The young lady who discovered her body, and went back to notify her father, surely for both of them, shock and adrenaline would have set in after viewing such a gruesome scene, checking for pulse and calling 911. Just my opinion, but in this early morning timeframe of events, I don't think the daughter/father would have taken the time to walk across the street and ring the doorbell. Too much shock and adrenaline kicking in, I bet the sole mission was to call 911. That being said, was her husband peering out the window from his home, then comes outside?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dutah82!!
Back