GUILTY AL - Kathleen "Kat" West, 42, murdered, Calera, 13 Jan 2018 *husband arrested*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I didn't get a chance to follow the trial at all. I've only been able to skim through one or two of the news reports. I saw that there were tons of texts between them that showed she believed he was ready to leave her. Is that correct? The fact that they were having those discussions via text shows that they were having communication issues. Was there any evidence how how much he had drank that night/morning or what his BAC was?

Hi PrairieWind!

Yes, there were texts that indicated their marriage was in trouble. I'm not so sure if she was worried about him leaving her or if she was beginning to think of leaving him. Can't put a finger on it, but there was something in one or two of those texts that, JMO, implied he had been violent before. I saw no discussion or evidence about the husband's BAC that night. Not sure if they took it or not.

Some of the important evidence was security company records showing when their front door was opened and closed. The ME stated that the severity of Kat's head injury (blunt force trauma that was powerful enough to force her brain down onto her brainstem) meant that she would have been rendered unconscious immediately. He said the blood was mostly in a pool under and around her head. He said the force of the blow was greater than if she had fallen (she was only about 5 ft tall) . LE believed that someone opened the front door and threw Kat's phone outside. She went out to retrieve it. He followed her and hit her on the side of her head while she was picking up the phone.

Also, the young witness who found Kat, who was on her way to work early that morning noticed the husband pacing back and forth in front of the living room window. The witness called 911 and told them about the husband. She said that he could see his wife outside in the street and wondered why he wasn't calling 911.

Hi PrairieWind!

Yes, there were texts that indicated their marriage was in trouble. I'm not so sure if she was worried about him leaving her or if she was beginning to think of leaving him. Can't put a finger on it, but there was something in one or two of those texts that, JMO, implied he had been violent before. I saw no discussion or evidence about the husband's BAC that night. Not sure if they took it or not.

Some of the important evidence was security company records showing when their front door was opened and closed. The ME stated that the severity of Kat's head injury (blunt force trauma that was powerful enough to force her brain down onto her brainstem) meant that she would have been rendered unconscious immediately. He said the blood was mostly in a pool under and around her head. He said the force of the blow was greater than if she had fallen (she was only about 5 ft tall) . LE believed that someone opened the front door and threw Kat's phone outside. She went out to retrieve it. He followed her and hit her on the side of her head while she was picking up the phone.

Also, the young witness who found Kat, who was on her way to work early that morning noticed the husband pacing back and forth in front of the living room window. The witness called 911 and told them about the husband. She said that he could see his wife outside in the street and wondered why he wasn't calling 911.
Thank you for the excellent run down!

Thank you for the excellent run down!

Thanks. PrairieWind brings up something important - the husband's BAC. If that had been submitted as evidence, what effect would it have on the jury?

I feel so badly for Kat. It sounds like she may have been in an abusive relationship, but she didn't have anyone to turn to. Her mother probably wouldn't have listened.

Thanks. PrairieWind brings up something important - the husband's BAC. If that had been submitted as evidence, what effect would it have on the jury?

I feel so badly for Kat. It sounds like she may have been in an abusive relationship, but she didn't have anyone to turn to. Her mother probably wouldn't have listened.
I have to agree she had no one to turn to it seems. I just hope their daughter isn't hearing anything negative being said about her mother & she is able to keep the happy memories.

Thanks for the follow ups everyone.
It would have difficult to determine his BAC, since he was not questioned until hours afterwards and he could have continued to drink. Even if he BAC at the time of her death was known it may not have been admitted. But I do wonder if he was highly intoxicated when he hit her. It is not an excuse of course, legally or morally, but alcohol can lead to impulsive behavior.
I seem to recall early on some neighbors saying they had on a few occasions heard some arguing. But I never heard anything beyond that as far as domestic violence. But who knows. I would think the daughter would have known to some degree if there was abuse.
It does seem that Kat was indeed a kind of lonely person. Maybe that is in part why she had the website, etc, she was seeking attention in some way. I don't know. It doesn't matter.

When this case first broke, and her website was made known, I assumed that had something to do with her death. I assumed maybe an obsessed fan tracked her down and stalked her. But I was wrong. As is too often the case, her killer was right inside her own home.

Monday, Feb. 8th:
*Sentencing Hearing (@ 9am CT) – AL – Kathleen Dawn “Kat” West (42) (Jan. 12, 2018, Calera) – *William Jeffrey West (44/now 46) (husband) arrested (2/22/18), indicted (3/7/18) & arraigned (4/9/18) with murder. Held on $500K bond. Plead not guilty. Bond reduction denied.
Trial began with jury selection on 11/16/20 & trial began on 11/17/20 & ended on 11/20/20. After nearly 5 hours of deliberations, a Shelby County jury found West guilty of reckless manslaughter.
Court info from 8/23/18 thru 11/16/20 re jury selection & Trial 11/17-11/20/20 (Day 1-4) reference post #878 here:
GUILTY - AL - Kathleen "Kat" West, 42, murdered, Calera, 13 Jan 2018 *husband arrested*

11/20/20 Friday Day 4 of Trial: Verdict: West is found guilty of reckless manslaughter in the murder of Kat. West will be held in jail for 60 days, until the sentencing hearing. Reckless manslaughter is the lesser charge. It is a Class B felony punishable by 2 to 20 years in prison. The judge accepted the verdict & the jurors are released. Sentencing hearing is scheduled for 1/11/21 at 1:30pm, the earliest available date. West’s bond was revoked. He will stay in jail until sentencing.
1/5/21 Update: The sentencing hearing for West will be held Feb. 8 instead of in January 11 which was the initial date. No reason was stated in court records, however most in-person hearings in Shelby County have been postponed until after Jan. 18 because of the upswing in COVID-19 cases.

Jeff West sentenced to 16 years in prison.
Kat West’s husband, Jeff West, sentenced to 16 years in wife’s death
Jeff West addressed the court before sentencing. He talked of all he’s missed while jailed over the past three years. He never mentioned his wife by name or her death, only saying “I lost my best friend.”

Bostick said he took into consideration Kat West’s family’s pleas of leniency. He said he gave less weight to the testimony of Nancy Martin’s request, however. Martin, Kat West’s mother, has supported her son-in-law throughout the entire criminal process. The judge said, “In my opinion, she’s ignored the evidence in this case.
He said he also considered Jeff West’s military history, his lack of criminal record and his strong ties to the community.

“We don’t drag people into courts of law and try them for who they are. We drag people into courts of law and try them for what they did,’' Bostick said. “Our laws designed to punish people not for who they are but for what they do. In this case the the jury found you to be responsible for your wife’s death. They imposed that responsibility on you. You were afforded the opportunity to accept responsibility for causing your wife’s death. You have, for your own reasons, taken the position that you don’t intend to do that. So the jury had to do that for you.”

“I know there were some versions of the evidence that may say Kat was responsible for her own death, or her drinking. She contributed to her demise, but I don’t consider that mitigating at all in this case,’' the judge said. “Domestic violence always follows according to a pattern. Kat’s death was foreseeable I don’t believe you woke up the morning that this offense occurred and decided today’s the day I’m going to kill her. I don’t believe the happened. But I do believe this could have been avoided, I do believe it was foreseeable and I do believe with the jury that it is your reckless acts that caused her death.

West will receive credit for the nearly three years he’s already served. He will appeal.

I have to say, after watching 48 Hours, I want to agree with her parents that it was an accident. They seem so normal and nice, and seem convinced her husband didn't do it. But "clumsy" can be a cover for abuse. Kat had so much energy and maybe was not so easy to live with, so perhaps they were grateful she had such a "stable" partner and closed their eyes to his own problematic behaviors. Maybe things were good until he snapped that night - I never really believed in that, but I guess it can happen. I just can't square his behaviors and the phone and the bottle with an accident. It's a heartbreaking story either way, and I hope their daughter is getting all the love and support she needs.

The 48 Hours episode definitely slanted the case towards the husbands innocence.

I believe the prosecution , that he threw her phone out in the street & when she went to retrieve it , he clocked her with the bottle. The young girl that found her saw him pacing back n forth in front of his window.
The bottle was on top of her phone ( staged).
B09FB6F5-C28D-4893-8682-8786C8C9E804.jpeg

He snapped.
MOO

I believe the prosecution , that he threw her phone out in the street & when she went to retrieve it , he clocked her with the bottle. The young girl that found her saw him pacing back n forth in front of his window.
The bottle was on top of her phone ( staged).
View attachment 292334

He snapped.
MOO

He left her laying there, dead, in the middle of the street. He didn't call EMS or anything, just waited for the neighbors to find her while he concocted a story and an alibi. Too bad his home security system caught him.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Back