AL AL - Kimberly Whitton, 36, & Haleigh Culwell, 11, Section, 21 June 2007

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This is just heartbreaking! The fact that she hasn't missed more than one day of work in seven days is so suspicious. I hope they can find something to convict her husband!

Maybe she wised up and just left and she's waiting to call her family because she fears for their safety. Not likely but one can hope.

soooooooooooooooo she married him...why? I dont think sooooo :bang:

The father of a missing Jackson County woman said he didn't know until Thursday that her husband's first wife was the victim of an unsolved homicide nearly 10 years ago.

snip..

Whitton's father, Jerry Compton, said Friday that her husband, Barry Whitton, "seems like a pretty nice fellow." He said he was surprised to learn about the circumstances of the death of Michelle Whitton, Barry Whitton's previous wife.

"He told me his first wife died from an overdose," Compton said. "But I found out last night that she was murdered."

snip..

The Whittons' log home is about a mile off the main road and can be reached by visitors only by foot because the driveway has two locked gates.

snip...

Whitton runs a small sawmill at his home and had cut lumber for Compton's front porch in Altoona, Compton said.

Much more at link.

Sounds like she might not have known the first wife was murdered if she was told the same story her dad was told. The bolded sentence has me concerned.

snip..

Whitton's father, Jerry Compton, said Friday that her husband, Barry Whitton, "seems like a pretty nice fellow." He said he was surprised to learn about the circumstances of the death of Michelle Whitton, Barry Whitton's previous wife.

"He told me his first wife died from an overdose," Compton said. "But I found out last night that she was murdered."

Notice that the husband's story puts all the "blame" on his first wife for dying..... she died from an overdose, something she "did" to herself as opposed to having been in an accident, or taken ill or murdered - all things beyond her control. Pretty classic domestic abuser thinking pattern, in my opinion, if this story is accurate (and I have no reason to believe it is not).

Where was the first wife found? I would venture that is the first place, or close thereby, to search for Kim and Haliegh.....

Salem

Thanks for the links Salem.
You certainly were spot on.
Hoping we hear some good news soon.
This is just so sad. :( :(

This is very sad. I can't find anything that says when Haliegh was last seen. School was out for the summer. Who was watching her? It sounds as if Mom worked nights. Was Haliegh being left at home with the step-dad? So maybe she hasn't been seen by anyone else for a couple of days? Seems if he would have hurt her though, mom would have known and not gone back to work, so I would assume that timing for them missing is the same.

It does appear that this "event" is getting a little more press coverage, though and that's a good thing.

Salem

LE may not have enough evidence to arrest the husband, but at the very least, IMHO, the circumstances surrounding the first wife's death and the disappearance of his current wife and step-daughter, SHOULD be enough 'circumstantial evidence' that a judge could issue an official SW for the home, the saw mill at the residence, the vehicles, AND the entire property the home is located on. Cadaver dogs should be used, IMO.

There is EVIDENCE that something is wrong with this picture and that is the wife and daughter are MISSING! grrrrrrrrrrrr

JMHO
fran

After searching his home all morning long, the FBI and the ABI have arrested Barry Whitton in the Macedonia Community of Jackson County.

Whitton was arrested on firearm violations, but authorities also want to know if they can find any evidence connected to the disappearance of Barry's wife, Kim, and her 11-year-old daughter, Haleigh Culwell.

It's been nearly three weeks since anyone has heard from them.

http://www.waff.com/global/story.asp?s=6779495

I'm glad he's no longer a threat to the community for the time being.

It was said that they arrested him yesterday on those unrelated charges. They were searching his 40 acre property today, which interestingly enough happens to have a sawmill on it, where he cuts his timber. I think they said he lives on Sand Mountain. I hope they can tie him to the first wife's murder. He's bad news.

Sand Mountain... I have been up that way and spent time there (in the late 80's). It overlooks Fort Payne, AL... Fort Payne is where the country music group Alabama originated and still live. The mountain forest up there is pretty dense, but one thing that is certain: that community is pretty tight. I hope they find this mom and daughter unharmed... please let them find them hidden out or something in that manner. Please don't let these souls become another statistic. :(

Sand Mountain... I have been up that way and spent time there (in the late 80's). It overlooks Fort Payne, AL... Fort Payne is where the country music group Alabama originated and still live. The mountain forest up there is pretty dense, but one thing that is certain: that community is pretty tight. I hope they find this mom and daughter unharmed... please let them find them hidden out or something in that manner. Please don't let these souls become another statistic. :(

Yes...Sand Mountain makes LaFayette (Teresa Parker) look metropolitan. There's been more "new blood" to come into various parts of the mountain (it goes from Georgia into Alabama), but still overall very small, tight-knit communities that keep to themselves.

Well, well, well,...................1. The family should contact TexasEquasearch to use their resources AND dogs to do a 'grid search.' 2. I hope LE sees WHO lives close by. Have they checked the father's property?

The also need to contact people in neighboring towns to see if this man was seen in their area! After all, his first wife was found a couple of towns over.:slap:

JMHO
fran

http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2007Jul13/0,4670,GirlandMotherMissing,00.html

Whitton, who wore a beard and dressed like an Amish farmer, lived near his father, according to local residents who are still puzzled over the death of his first wife.

link

SECTION, Ala. — Search teams Friday were combing 40 hilly acres in northeast Alabama for an 11-year-old girl and her mother, and the woman's husband was in federal custody on an unrelated weapons charge.
Kim Whitton, 26, and her daughter, Haleigh Culwell, were reported missing two weeks ago by her co-workers. Her husband, whose first wife was killed and buried in the area, told investigators she had left him, sheriff's officials said.
Barry Whitton was arrested Thursday. Nearly 10 years earlier, the body of his first wife, Michelle Whitton, was found partially buried in the hills of a neighboring town. Police never made an arrest in that case or disclosed how she was killed.

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snoopysnoop