AL - Paighton Houston, 29, left bar with 2 men, Birmingham, 20 Dec 2019 *arrests* #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
There is an "in custody" check box. See if you can see all if you uncheck it.
There was another person with the same last name that you may have seen. We can't sleuth that one on WS.
Edit: The check box doesn't seem to work. I wonder if it has been disabled the whole time we've been sleuthing this case. If so, every time we've searched past dates we were seeing people still in jail since their arrest. (Captain obvious, just saying.)

Hey Cap'n. ;) Just kidding.

The tick boxes and date options do work for me. Example:

On this page Inmate Search type in the name Jones (no mods, we're not really sleuthing non-suspects, I promise!) and tick the "in custody" box - don't change the date or anything else, just do that and click "search". Notice the very last column that says "housing facility". Now go back and remove the tick from the "in custody" box and search again. You'll notice those that have been released, have a blank spot in the "housing facility" column. If you click on any of those with that blank spot, you'll see the release date listed.

Not that any of that actually matters since he was never there anyway, but the search functions do work and they do list ex-inmates, for whatever reason.

Is it possible that his name was removed since he was being “held on suspicion” ? Perhaps a different classification than an actual arrest?
I suppose it's possible they remove names but according to every MSM that mentions it, he was never in the county jail in December. He was held at the Birmingham City Jail.

I meant according to all the MSM articles I've seen, they say he was held for 48 hours in the Birmingham City Jail, not the Jefferson County Jail. County has a searchable database, where City does not. I hope that helps.

I see per the inmate search there is more than one Jefferson County jail. One being in Birmingham. I live in a county with only 2 cities over 20000 people. It seems that all serious crimes are prosecuted by the county. I don't even know if these crimes are actually city crimes. Does anyone know how it works in Jefferson County?

I see per the inmate search there is more than one Jefferson County jail. One being in Birmingham. I live in a county with only 2 cities over 20000 people. It seems that all serious crimes are prosecuted by the county. I don't even know if these crimes are actually city crimes. Does anyone know how it works in Jefferson County?
I only know what their website says "The Jefferson County Jail (Birmingham) houses state and federal inmates awaiting trial." It says the same thing for Bessemer. County Jail - Jefferson County, Alabama

Hey Cap'n. ;) Just kidding.

The tick boxes and date options do work for me. Example:

On this page Inmate Search type in the name Jones (no mods, we're not really sleuthing non-suspects, I promise!) and tick the "in custody" box - don't change the date or anything else, just do that and click "search". Notice the very last column that says "housing facility". Now go back and remove the tick from the "in custody" box and search again. You'll notice those that have been released, have a blank spot in the "housing facility" column. If you click on any of those with that blank spot, you'll see the release date listed.

Not that any of that actually matters since he was never there anyway, but the search functions do work and they do list ex-inmates, for whatever reason.
Agreed...they work for me also. I don’t recall ever seeing FH listed there.

I've looked, and while I did see other Hampton's (let's be honest, most of us knew the family name associated with the 215 Chapel house moments after we had the address) in the county inmate list, FH's name was never there. Because he was never in county, he was in city - which doesn't have a searchable database online.

He was in jail before PH was discovered so would not be looking for that name 12/28 to 12/30

He was in jail before PH was discovered so would not be looking for that name 12/28 to 12/30

Right, he was in and out before she was ever discovered deceased at the Chapel street house. He was released on 12/30 and she was found 4 days later. We didn't even know he'd been in temporary custody at all until the arrest warrant came out on the 16th (or 17th whenever it was). That being said, I know I'm not the only one that located the name of the homeowner on Chapel (once she was discovered) and ran a search through the county jail inmate list to see if the last name (or address) lined up with anyone with a criminal record. Like many others I'm sure, I was pretty certain whoever put PH in the ground was connected to that house somehow.

ETA: this short summary on crime awareness space The influence of awareness space on crime location choice - NSCR English explains a lot why criminals choose the locations that they do. I don't think it's an exact "science" but it tends to be true in most cases I've ever followed. One of the members here (I wish I could remember who!) has a ton of info on this subject and it's truly fascinating reading.

Last edited:
I would agree and yet they do list lots and lots of ex-inmates that have been released.

Maybe the ex-inmates you see in your searches that are flagged "released" were inmates that were arrested, actually charged with a crime, and then bonded out (released). Since FH was held but not formally charged with kidnapping and was released after 48 hours, it would make sense that the record is not locatable for that particular arrest, even though he has a criminal history. Just a thought... IMO...

Maybe the ex-inmates you see in your searches that are flagged "released" were inmates that were arrested, actually charged with a crime, and then bonded out (released). Since FH was held but not formally charged with kidnapping and was released after 48 hours, it would make sense that the record is not locatable for that particular arrest, even though he has a criminal history. Just a thought... IMO...

There is no record of FH being in county jail because he was taken to city jail. He was never in county jail.

I feel the need to point out that early on, when we first saw the house, I mentioned it looked like a trap house, not that it WAS one. I’m sure your post wasn’t directed at me but I want to clear that up. I simply meant the appearance was consistent with a trap, not that I assumed it was housing a bunch of crack heads.
It’s her home. Not lived there in two months. But all her belongings were there.
What the heck?
It seems weird to me as well. I am not sure what to think. I never thought the house was a "crack house" although it is riddled with junk. It still leaves the question open when the old man was moved from the home for care.
I think one of the first tips that may have come in was that Fredrick Hampton was at that house and that was an oddity. I am sure neighbors remember the history of his first rape. UGH. Does it even matter at this point? I had wanted more information about the house weeks ago and now that I have it. It does not help with anything.
It was just my opinion when I replied to Mimosa not directed at you or anyone. It is a sad looking house for sure.
ETA: deleted spacing was not sure how to capture my response so I just copied it

ETA: this short summary on crime awareness space The influence of awareness space on crime location choice - NSCR English explains a lot why criminals choose the locations that they do. I don't think it's an exact "science" but it tends to be true in most cases I've ever followed. One of the members here (I wish I could remember who!) has a ton of info on this subject and it's truly fascinating reading.

Hey @Ontario Mom this looks so cool.
I'm attempting to follow the link to the awareness space on crime article but the link leads to the intro, only. When I try to follow it further...I get a 404. Could you double check this because I might just be clicking in the wrong place. Thank you!

Hey @Ontario Mom this looks so cool.
I'm attempting to follow the link to the awareness space on crime article but the link leads to the intro, only. When I try to follow it further...I get a 404. Could you double check this because I might just be clicking in the wrong place. Thank you!
Not meaning to answer for @Ontario Mom but I was interested as well and found it here in entirety. Also relieved to see someone is interested in reading after seeing how extensive the article is.
Influence of Activity Space and Visiting Frequency on Crime Location Choice: Findings from an Online Self-Report Survey

Right, he was in and out before she was ever discovered deceased at the Chapel street house. He was released on 12/30 and she was found 4 days later. We didn't even know he'd been in temporary custody at all until the arrest warrant came out on the 16th (or 17th whenever it was). That being said, I know I'm not the only one that located the name of the homeowner on Chapel (once she was discovered) and ran a search through the county jail inmate list to see if the last name (or address) lined up with anyone with a criminal record. Like many others I'm sure, I was pretty certain whoever put PH in the ground was connected to that house somehow.

BBM

Perhaps @margarita25? I wasn't aware of the concept until I read one of her posts about it. :)

Not meaning to answer for @Ontario Mom but I was interested as well and found it here in entirety. Also relieved to see someone is interested in reading after seeing how extensive the article is.
Influence of Activity Space and Visiting Frequency on Crime Location Choice: Findings from an Online Self-Report Survey
Thanks @DTPeke ....when I couldn't find that article I dinked around on the website and ended up losing 3 hours of my life to reading research studies....UGH.
So, you are not alone!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NanaKate321
Back