Alaska Airlines flight makes emergency landing after window blows out

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
2 phones found today , not a single scratch on them from falling 16,000 feet from the plane. I can't show the phone pics because passenger names are on the screen. This is on Barnes Rd right by the Hwy 217 exit from Hwy 26 that leads into Portland.

Attachments

• Phone.jpg
    Phone.jpg
    287.2 KB · Views: 18
I truly hope the door and other parts are found and turned over. So any locals on various forums are saying "finders' keepers". I don't want this incident to happen again because it is a physiological mess for all passengers and crew. My husband still is reeling from the gravity of the situation.

They're not offering a cash reward? United sure did after Flight 232, and the $100,000 prize won by the people who found that critical part saved their farm. They didn't want things to go THAT far, however!

ETA: Then I saw that the window was found! Good news.

Last edited:

Found an iPhone on the side of the road... Still in airplane mode with half a battery and open to a baggage claim for #AlaskaAirlines ASA1282 Survived a 16,000 foot drop perfectly in tact!When I called it in, Zoe at
@NTSB
said it was the SECOND phone to be found.

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) — The Boeing jetliner that suffered an inflight blowout over Oregon was not being used for flights to Hawaii after a warning light that could have indicated a pressurization problem lit up on three different flights, a federal official said Sunday.

Alaska Airlines decided to restrict the aircraft from long flights over water so the plane “could return very quickly to an airport” if the warning light reappeared, said Jennifer Homendy, chair of the National Transportation Safety Board.

Homendy cautioned that the pressurization light might be unrelated to Friday’s incident in which a plug covering an unused exit door blew off the Boeing 737 Max 9 as it cruised about three miles (4.8 kilometers) over Oregon.

The warning light came on during three previous flights: on Dec. 7, Jan. 3 and Jan. 4 — the day before the door plug broke off. Homendy said she didn’t have all the details regarding the Dec. 7 incident but specified the light came on during a flight on Jan. 3 and on Jan. 4 after the plane had landed. more at link.

As a person who is extremely anxious flier and who flies a lot this gives me super high anxiety. This is a nightmare and I literally just flew 737 max over Christmas!
They should just ground them all.

As a person who is extremely anxious flier and who flies a lot this gives me super high anxiety. This is a nightmare and I literally just flew 737 max over Christmas!
They should just ground them all.
I am not happy with the whole idea that they decided iy was too risky for an international issue yet completely fine to crash over American soil, Risk were taken liberly . Guess it is good no one died but it is really wonderful to know what exacty they hold safe and deem important. Hint - it is not peoples lives.

2 phones found today , not a single scratch on them from falling 16,000 feet from the plane. I can't show the phone pics because passenger names are on the screen. This is on Barnes Rd right by the Hwy 217 exit from Hwy 26 that leads into Portland.
I had a phone fall off a bed once onto carpet and smash the screen....go figure!! :rolleyes:

"Complicating efforts is the loss of critical cockpit audio recordings because of a device setting, according to Homendy."

and

“There is nothing on the cockpit voice recorder,” she said, noting the maintenance team went out to get the recorder around the two-hour mark when the devices begin a new recording cycle.

The audio captured by the recorders is “critical” to helping investigators understand what occurred during the incident, Homendy said. Without it, there is no record of communications between pilots and flight attendants as the crisis was unfolding."

"Complicating efforts is the loss of critical cockpit audio recordings because of a device setting, according to Homendy."

and

“There is nothing on the cockpit voice recorder,” she said, noting the maintenance team went out to get the recorder around the two-hour mark when the devices begin a new recording cycle.

The audio captured by the recorders is “critical” to helping investigators understand what occurred during the incident, Homendy said. Without it, there is no record of communications between pilots and flight attendants as the crisis was unfolding."

Almost unbelievable.

Posted: 9:08 a.m. EST Jan 8, 2024

Investigators say a missing piece from an Alaska Airlines jet that blew off on Friday at 16,000 feet has been recovered in Oregon.

and

That to me just sounds like an unfortunate bit of incompetency. But I don't think it should really affect the investigation. The plane didn't crash, the pilots are able to give their testimony of what happened. The data recorder is still good, correct? That is far more important.

@united has found loose bolts on several its grounded 737 Max9s during inspections. Sources put the say they were found on at least five planes. This was first reported by the excellent @theaircurrent
Great reporting by @jonostrower and his team.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BEllis9801
Back