Alaska Airlines flight makes emergency landing after window blows out

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
My daughter is an aviation mechanic and feels this might finally be the incident to make car seats mandatory for infants currently traveling in adult laps. There were THREE lap babies on the flight. Horrifying
Flying with a baby in a lap is very risky. Just ordinary turbulence can cause injury.

It isn’t safe, and I can’t believe car seats aren’t mandatory.

How can an iPhone fall 16,000 feet and still work, when mine broke after falling from my pocket to the floor, lol.

When a door plug on an Alaska Airlines plane suddenly ripped off minutes into a flight on Friday evening, everyone on board remained safe, but several objects were sucked out of the aircraft and fell roughly 16,000 feet – including what appears to be an intact and working iPhone.

I don't think this is an Alaskan Airlines problem really. The plane was new. The sensor warnings were just, as I understand, general pressure sensors, not associated with the door per se. So there is no real thread, just the idea that if there is a problem, the plane can descend, but needs to be close to an airport. I don't really see this decision by Alaska Air as callous, just realistic. Alaska Air I believe has the best safety record in the nation.

IMO, if there was thought about being close to an airport and not over water, then they absolutely gave consideration to a threat. They just didn't do anything about it.

MOO

How can an iPhone fall 16,000 feet and still work, when mine broke after falling from my pocket to the floor, lol.

When a door plug on an Alaska Airlines plane suddenly ripped off minutes into a flight on Friday evening, everyone on board remained safe, but several objects were sucked out of the aircraft and fell roughly 16,000 feet – including what appears to be an intact and working iPhone.

MSN

This iPhone passed the ultimate drop test after falling from a plane – here’s how it survived​

Here are some stories from the flight......

Absolutely terrifying. The grandma was amazing though, she kept those kiddies calm and explained that this was very unlikely to happen again and off on a plane they got the next day. Think it would put me off flying for life, despite the odds!!

Absolutely terrifying. The grandma was amazing though, she kept hose kiddies calm and explained that this was very unlikely to happen again and off on a plane they got the next day. Think it would put me off flying for life, despite the odds!!
My husband's ears were still popping a few days after. He is a strong guy but literally lost it when he saw the area where our house was when the plane did a huge circle around the metro area.

My husband's ears were still popping a few days after. He is a strong guy but literally lost it when he saw the area where our house was when the plane did a huge circle around the metro area.

Your husband was on it?

WOW! ......... feel shaky just thinking about it!

Was anyone sitting in the row of seats by the open hole?

Your husband was on it?

WOW! ......... feel shaky just thinking about it!

Was anyone sitting in the row of seats by the open hole?
No, not according to articles I've read. Passengers in nearby seats were injured, though, and I think they said one teenager had clothing ripped off from the decompression.

MOO

My husband was a passenger on that flight. Everyone who didn't get their cell phones sucked out the window texted their oved ones. Very scary to get all those texts from my husband. The plane did a huge circle over the Portland metro area to descend to allow more breathable air in and my husband saw the area where our house was. Thankfully everyone came out alive !

OMG! - Thank goodness your husband and all those passengers are ok- I am sure all the passengers are traumatized though!

"Federal officials are investigating whether Boeing failed to make sure a panel that blew off a jetliner in midflight last week was properly designed and safe to use.
The Federal Aviation Administration said Thursday that the investigation is focusing on plugs used to fill spots for extra exits when those doors are not required on Boeing 737 Max 9 jetliners."

Here we go.... more to come !

From your linked article, I want to know what mistakes is he talking about?

MISTAKES = LIABILITY in a lawsuit

"Alaska Airlines has potential liability because someone in their chain of command decided it was not safe to fly over the ocean, but somehow was safe to fly over land,” said Mark Lindquist, attorney.
The potential lawsuit comes as Boeing’s CEO, Dave Calhoun, is admitting the company made mistakes.

"We're going to approach this number one, acknowledging our mistake. We're going to approach it with 100% complete transparency every step of the way," Calhoun said in an emotional video shared on the company’s website.

From your linked article, I want to know what mistakes is he talking about?

MISTAKES = LIABILITY in a lawsuit

"Alaska Airlines has potential liability because someone in their chain of command decided it was not safe to fly over the ocean, but somehow was safe to fly over land,” said Mark Lindquist, attorney.
The potential lawsuit comes as Boeing’s CEO, Dave Calhoun, is admitting the company made mistakes.

"We're going to approach this number one, acknowledging our mistake. We're going to approach it with 100% complete transparency every step of the way," Calhoun said in an emotional video shared on the company’s website.
The mistake was Alaska internally forbid those planes to fly over the ocean, only permitting to use over land on the advice of another company and someone internally in the airline. I cant go further in detail about this. There was an article about that earlier in the week.

The mistake was Alaska internally forbid those planes to fly over the ocean, only permitting to use over land on the advice of another company and someone internally in the airline. I cant go further in detail about this. There was an article about that earlier in the week.

Why can't you go further in detail about this? Not in MSM?

According to this article:

The nation’s top accident investigator says warning lights were triggered on three flights, including each of the two days before the brand-new Boeing 737 Max 9 suffered a terrifying fuselage blowout Friday night.

Jennifer Homendy, chair of the National Transportation Safety Board, said maintenance crews checked the plane and cleared it to fly — but the airline decided not to use it for the long route to Hawaii over water so that it “could return very quickly to an airport” if the warning light reappeared.

Alaska Airlines’ decision not to ground Boeing jet despite warning signs comes under scrutiny

Why can't you go further in detail about this? Not in MSM?

According to this article:

The nation’s top accident investigator says warning lights were triggered on three flights, including each of the two days before the brand-new Boeing 737 Max 9 suffered a terrifying fuselage blowout Friday night.

Jennifer Homendy, chair of the National Transportation Safety Board, said maintenance crews checked the plane and cleared it to fly — but the airline decided not to use it for the long route to Hawaii over water so that it “could return very quickly to an airport” if the warning light reappeared.

There are other articles out there. I just can't go further legality wise.

It was the Boeing CEO who talked about "mistakes" that were made, on their part. He didn't elaborate further. Once the Ntsb preliminary report comes out, we'll find out more

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Louiwebb
Back