Alaska Airlines flight makes emergency landing after window blows out

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
2 phones found today , not a single scratch on them from falling 16,000 feet from the plane. I can't show the phone pics because passenger names are on the screen. This is on Barnes Rd right by the Hwy 217 exit from Hwy 26 that leads into Portland.

Nice advertisement for the phones though, right? A phone that falls 16,000 feet after being sucked out of the plane and not a single scratch. The commercials can write themselves.

MOO

I am not happy with the whole idea that they decided iy was too risky for an international issue yet completely fine to crash over American soil, Risk were taken liberly . Guess it is good no one died but it is really wonderful to know what exacty they hold safe and deem important. Hint - it is not peoples lives.

This is going to be a PR nightmare. Just the kind of thing that leads to "coverup" stories in the media and reinforces beliefs that the airlines don't really care about passenger safety at all. MOO

My daughter is an aviation mechanic and feels this might finally be the incident to make car seats mandatory for infants currently traveling in adult laps. There were THREE lap babies on the flight. Horrifying

United Airlines finds loose bolts on multiple Boeing 737 Max 9 planes​

Aircraft model has been grounded after a panel blew off an Alaska Airlines-operated plane mid-flight on Saturday

United Airlines has found loose bolts and other “installation issues” on multiple 737 Max 9 aircraft, it said on Monday, referring to the Boeing model that has been grounded after a panel blew off an Alaska Airlines-operated plane mid-flight over the weekend.

The industry publication Air Current reported that United found discrepant bolts on other parts on at least five panels that were being inspected following the accident. The US Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and Boeing declined to comment.

[…]

Last edited:
This is going to be a PR nightmare. Just the kind of thing that leads to "coverup" stories in the media and reinforces beliefs that the airlines don't really care about passenger safety at all. MOO
I don't think this is an Alaskan Airlines problem really. The plane was new. The sensor warnings were just, as I understand, general pressure sensors, not associated with the door per se. So there is no real thread, just the idea that if there is a problem, the plane can descend, but needs to be close to an airport. I don't really see this decision by Alaska Air as callous, just realistic. Alaska Air I believe has the best safety record in the nation.

Plug door has been found... At 9pm.... More info to come soon. A teacher from Portland Public Schools found it.

Pic of door that was found. Its intact...

It was found tangled in some brush.

As a person who is extremely anxious flier and who flies a lot this gives me super high anxiety. This is a nightmare and I literally just flew 737 max over Christmas!
They should just ground them all.

They grounded them, but because of COVID, the whole air travel industry took a hit. Now there is a lack of trained pilots, major lack ot ATCs and on top, the need in 737Maxes. I suspect there is a major "lack of trained humans" factor in the world, and perhaps a lot of tiny catastrophes happening everywhere, only we get to know about the major ones.

Example: car industry. Husband's car broke. We bought another, from a major Japanese company. How soon do you think we got the second key? In 4 months. And a part is still not delivered. The key, for Pete sake!

So I assume it is a worldwide factor, only in plane industry, it gets known faster.

Do You mean reinforces the facts ,that they dont consider passenger safty as much as they care about the bottom lines?

My daughter is an aviation mechanic and feels this might finally be the incident to make car seats mandatory for infants currently traveling in adult laps. There were THREE lap babies on the flight. Horrifying
They were designed for car crashes , the car seat to even keep a baby safe on a plane is non existant , the accidents while both are voilent are way different and the data to be able to even really design anything other than a pysicolodigal bandaide would be very expensive to gather and would not save babies in a crash of an airplane. If babies were just falling out of planes like they used to cars ,a strap your baby down kinda approach might be taken but I am not thinking it is a really practicle pursuit ,if it were though the safe seats would not be the same designs as the car seats because impacts would not be the same . IMO
I bet there might be some prototypes and documents out there somewhere about a child seat study for planes but I have not seen it ,but it probably exsists.

They were designed for car crashes , the car seat to even keep a baby safe on a plane is non existant , the accidents while both are voilent are way different and the data to be able to even really design anything other than a pysicolodigal bandaide would be very expensive to gather and would not save babies in a crash of an airplane. If babies were just falling out of planes like they used to cars ,a strap your baby down kinda approach might be taken but I am not thinking it is a really practicle pursuit ,if it were though the safe seats would not be the same designs as the car seats because impacts would not be the same . IMO
I bet there might be some prototypes and documents out there somewhere about a child seat study for planes but I have not seen it ,but it probably exsists.
But the car seat WOULD keep the baby IN the seat during turbulence etc. Crash survivability for aviation is far different than for land transport- of course! I'm thinking of a baby in mom's lap in the situation that just happened. For the same reason you cannot have your backpack on your lap during takeoff and landing- you should not have an unrestrained infant in your lap during those times either.

"That’s led people online to ask which airlines use the Max 9, Google search data show. Posts on X claim Alaska and United are the only major U.S. airlines that fly the jetliners."

I can't get onto the details legally, but the $1500 that was offered is a joke. So many passengers are still reeling from this experience. I will never forget the "I love you texts" from that night. 2 big companies are responsible for this nightmare.

I can't get onto the details legally, but the $1500 that was offered is a joke. So many passengers are still reeling from this experience. I will never forget the "I love you texts" from that night. 2 big companies are responsible for this nightmare.
I'm so sorry that your husband was on this flight. I'm freaked out enough because my daughter almost was. She flew Alaska on Dec. 28th. I've already seen sick memes circulating about the door.

I'm so sorry that your husband was on this flight. I'm freaked out enough because my daughter almost was. She flew Alaska on Dec. 28th. I've already seen sick memes circulating about the door.
The memes were gross. I am thankful the phones, the door and other belongings were found by good samaritans. I just cant understand how not one person noticed the loose or lack of bolts on that door of this plane for several airlines. I assumed inspection was done before flight and in between flights.

The memes were gross. I am thankful the phones, the door and other belongings were found by good samaritans. I just cant understand how not one person noticed the loose or lack of bolts on that door of this plane for several airlines. I assumed inspection was done before flight and in between flights.
One would hope so. I have a friend whose husband is a mechanic at SFO. I don't understand how they can "re-purpose" a door that was previously designed as an emergency door.

But the car seat WOULD keep the baby IN the seat during turbulence etc. Crash survivability for aviation is far different than for land transport- of course! I'm thinking of a baby in mom's lap in the situation that just happened. For the same reason you cannot have your backpack on your lap during takeoff and landing- you should not have an unrestrained infant in your lap during those times either.
Fair point. I agree .
Also the whole door thing really reminds me of this historical event,
https://www.npr.org/2015/04/26/402208267/remembering-the-doomed-first-flight-of-operation-babylift

Last edited:
What's really scary for me, is that I just sent my daughter back to Portland on Alaska a week ago after sending her home on it for Christmas. Think we'll stick to SouthWest Airlines for now.
Don’t forget about the Southwest passenger who died after being partially sucked out of the window in 2018.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
noizewarr
Back