Alec Baldwin fired prop gun, killing 1 on movie set, Oct 2021 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe someone got into the safe over lunch and did some plinking and left a live round in it.

Then they put the gun back in the safe, HGR did not check it when she took it back out and just assumed it was the same as when she put it in there.

It would appear he is saying after the gun fired (what we know was a live bullet) they checked the gun. There were four "dummy rounds in it" and one round that was not a dummy-presumably one that just fired a bullet.
In the last part, it seems to me he says there was just the casing left but it was empty, ie there was nothing in it. This link has an image of an empty casing 23 shot, 4 fatally in overnight violence, Chicago police say

In the old style gun, it appears the casings stay in the gun after being fired. More modern guns eject the casing and police find them at the scene.

Maybe someone got into the safe over lunch and did some plinking and left a live round in it.

Then they put the gun back in the safe, HGR did not check it when she took it back out and just assumed it was the same as when she put it in there.
I wonder if it was sb from the Union crew that left that day.

You know - one last shooting.

In the last part, it seems to me he says there was just the casing left but it was empty, ie there was nothing in it. This link has an image of an empty casing 23 shot, 4 fatally in overnight violence, Chicago police say

In the old style gun, it appears the casings stay in the gun after being fired. More modern guns eject the casing and police find them at the scene.

The gun used on the set was a single action revolver. Revolvers do not eject cases. Both empty, fired cases and unfired rounds stay in the cylinder until ejected with a rod that is part of the revolver. Semiautomatic pistols eject spent cases.

Last edited:

Sheriff doesn't appear to have any information on the supposed plinking.

Legally, actors are not responsible for safety on the set. They are not responsible for checking to make sure any props are safe. Their job is to do as directed after props are already cleared. Otherwise, that would make actors responsible for being experts on EVERYTHING they have to handle, or work with, including but not limited to pyrotechnics, harnesses, animals, etc.

That would be impossible.

People are assuming that anyone who handles a firearm on a set, including the actors, are responsible for knowing basic gun safety. They are not.

There are extensive safety mechanisms involved in getting a prop to the actor or around the actor. Having actors be experts in those props is NOT one of those mechanisms, no matter the prop.

Prop guns are props. They are never supposed to have real bullets in them. Real bullets aren’t supposed to be on set. The only objects allowed to be loaded into a prop gun are blanks. And there are safety mechanisms involved with that as well. Saying “cold gun” means the gun not only does not have a bullet in it, it does not have a blank in it.

Some actors have never owned nor shot a real gun and do not know how to check a chamber. They are simply not responsible for that. Not legally.

And as for the comments that as gun safety rule number one, no one should ever point a gun at a person, those comments demonstrate a lack of understanding of the difference between the use of props on set and the use of guns in the real world.
Simply, any footage of a gun being pointed at the screen in a film? Some being shot at the screen? That gun was pointed at the camera and hence, the camera operator. There is no other way to do that other than CGI, which wasn’t always a thing.

Gun owners are expected to know basic safety rules. The entire world is not, including actors using props.

Sounds like the rules are to cheat the angle when pointing it at anyone, to use a remote camera and use some type of screening to protect the camera. They were short a camera, so maybe that was the remote one.

I believe all 3 have culpability

Sounds like the rules are to cheat the angle when pointing it at anyone, to use a remote camera and use some type of screening to protect the camera. They were short a camera, so maybe that was the remote one.

I believe all 3 have culpability
There is a guy being interviewed, who played an "outlaw" on Rust and was shot at with blanks by multiple people on that set. He says he felt hot air and got hit with wads of paper.
So they had no rules to cheat the angle.

It looks like the armorer had raised safety concerns on another set with another super star (Nicholas Cage):

'Rust' armorer 'mishandled' guns on previous film with Nicolas Cage, crew members say - CNN

Noted concerns included carrying too many weapons to safely manage them and casually firing blanks when they were not expected.

I am thinking that when the armorer mixed with the AD's indifferent laissez faire attitude about many things, a perfect storm was created for an inevitable accident.

Maybe he is describing what he is supposed to do. Because if they checked the gun, a live bullet wouldn't have been in there.

Yes,and I thought "cold gun" was supposed to indicate a gun with no rounds at all,live or otherwise?, so if he saw any rounds in the gun at all when she spun the barrel,why did he call "cold gun"?. Maybe I am confusing myself with all the terms though

I would be interesting to know more about the safe - if there was one -and the level of protection it had. Was it a real safe, with a combination lock? Was it just a metal gun cabinet with an easily defeated lock? Was it even locked? The storage method is important here. Since a genuine live round with a lead bullet was in the revolver, it is important to know who had access to it, and when, as well as any access controls.

Yes,and I thought "cold gun" was supposed to indicate a gun with no rounds at all,live or otherwise?, so if he saw any rounds in the gun at all when she spun the barrel,why did he call "cold gun"?. Maybe I am confusing myself with all the terms though
It would appear if the gun had dummy rounds (rounds that are intert and can not fire) they called it a cold gun.

I understood that Halls gave the gun directly to Baldwin, from the cart. So he gave it to Hannah first to check it? That's new info.
I don't think it's exactly correct to say he gave it to her, I think he is describing the routine safety procedure that would happen whenever there was a need for guns in the scenes being worked on. I would guess it part of a checklist of things to be done before the rehearsal starts, in order to avoid having to stop the rehearsal and have everyone stand around waiting while he checks a particular gun.

The statement refers to 'before continuing the rehearsal'. It's not clear to me whether that means sometime in the morning, once the camera situation was worked out, or after they came back from lunch.

I wonder whether what he is describing is that when he viewed the gun, he doesn't remember whether it was fully loaded, he only remembers seeing 3 casings.

If someone did take the gun, which was loaded with blanks, took out the blanks and put in bullets, then reloaded the blanks but missed doing them all, that person would be in possession of at least one of the blanks. That would show real knowledge of committing a crime, IMO.

I don't think it's exactly correct to say he gave it to her, I think he is describing the routine safety procedure that would happen whenever there was a need for guns in the scenes being worked on. I would guess it part of a checklist of things to be done before the rehearsal starts, in order to avoid having to stop the rehearsal and have everyone stand around waiting while he checks a particular gun.

The statement refers to 'before continuing the rehearsal'. It's not clear to me whether that means sometime in the morning, once the camera situation was worked out, or after they came back from lunch.

I wonder whether what he is describing is that when he viewed the gun, he doesn't remember whether it was fully loaded, he only remembers seeing 3 casings.

If someone did take the gun, which was loaded with blanks, took out the blanks and put in bullets, then reloaded the blanks but missed doing them all, that person would be in possession of at least one of the blanks. That would show real knowledge of committing a crime, IMO.
Before continuing the rehearsal has to be after they returned from lunch and rehearsal resumed. They started rehearsing in the morning, then went to lunch, then returned. That's when rehearsal continued.

What I understood is that in this Colt there was a fragment of a real bullet left from (illegal) "practice shooting" by sb from the crew.

The Colt wasnt cleaned properly.

My God - what absolutely tragic bad luck!!!!
Only one real bullet - and it fired killing Halyna.

It was Russian roulette :(

This is the phrase that has been going through my mind, as well.
Russian roulette with participants who didn't know they were "playing."

The armorer can say all she likes that there were no live rounds on set. Clearly there were. Halyna is dead.

In my opinion, based on what we know now, it seems that the people at fault were:

1)the crew who maybe thought "hey we're on a Western, let's shoot real guns at lunch!"
2) the armorer. Whatever she says, she couldn't have checked that the gun was actually cold, because it wasn't
3) the assistant director who said "cold gun," and only had partly checked the chamber. All the armorers who've been on the news since this happened seem unanimous ---no one touches a gun except the armorer and actor.
4) Alec Baldwin---I think he truly had no idea and counted on the alleged experts that the gun was safe. My gripe with him is that he's experienced enough to know the environment on set was chaotic and therefore unsafe. What should he have done about it, I don't know. I wish he'd walked off but I don't know enough about movie set protocol. I do know Alec explodes when he's unhappy, and he was the big shot there who could have insisted on protocols, but I genuinely believe he thought the gun was safe, even if the production was subpar.

Has anyone heard anything from the 15-year old actor who was playing the grandson? Apparently he was in that scene. My heart aches for him.

Can someone who knows guns comment on these recent statements by HGR and DH? I don't know how you are supposed to check a gun, so I'm confused--are they saying that both of them checked the gun, but may not have done it correctly? What does it mean when he says he "only saw three rounds in the chamber" and should have checked all of them?

What I do get is that either there were real bullets on set or there weren't. HGR is saying there weren't, but obviously there were. So either she's lying or someone was breaking the rules.

To check the gun thoroughly, whoever checked it would have to put the hammer at half *advertiser censored*, open the loading gate, and spin the cylinder until all of its chambers were checked. It sounds as if someone did not spin the cylinder, and only saw the rounds that were visible. Additional rounds would be hidden by the frame of the revolver. It is not possible to check a revolver like this to see if it is clear unless the cylinder is spun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lbustam1