Alec Baldwin fired prop gun, killing 1 on movie set, Oct 2021 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Let us not forget that several crew members had walked off the set due to unsafe conditions, and a walkout was brewing. The armourer HG had problems on a previous set when Nicholas Cage yelled at her for firing a gun near him without warning him. She is incompetent and reckless, a dangerous combination IMO. Annie Oakley she is not.
How often does a crew walk out happen? Is that usually kind of common place sort of thing that the producers & directors & folks responsible for the safety of the working environment on set would just generally ignore & move on past after they had replaced those union employees that had walked out? Or do you think that maybe someone should have taken note of their warnings and criticisms & maybe stepped in to ensure the safety of all on set? Or do you think that maybe union employees are just some crybabies that should be ignored? (& I'm not for a second saying that I think you are, I just wonder if others on this set may have thought that.)
Also, from what I am sure is one of the same articles you were referring to (sorry. I can't find the link rn but since u didn't have it either, I'll guess that we're referring to the same thing), one of the points that was made to cast HG in a negative light was that she at one time walked onto the set with a couple of handguns held pointing backwards under her arms. And apparently that upset some people because those guns could have been pointing at others on set without them knowing that - and that sounded to be what they thought was quite unsafe. ...yet there are those here on this discussion thread that seem to think there is no documented requirement or protocol or any sort of formal rule that indicates that anyone should be concerned about where an actor may point a weapon while on set. ...because (I guess) rules & best practices about guns just get thrown out the window when you're an actor/actress who has multiple underlings they can cast blame upon if they chose to ignore responsibilities that any other normal human would ascribe to.

How often does a crew walk out happen? Is that usually kind of common place sort of thing that the producers & directors & folks responsible for the safety of the working environment on set would just generally ignore & move on past after they had replaced those union employees that had walked out? Or do you think that maybe someone should have taken note of their warnings and criticisms & maybe stepped in to ensure the safety of all on set? Or do you think that maybe union employees are just some crybabies that should be ignored? (& I'm not for a second saying that I think you are, I just wonder if others on this set may have thought that.)
Also, from what I am sure is one of the same articles you were referring to (sorry. I can't find the link rn but since u didn't have it either, I'll guess that we're referring to the same thing), one of the points that was made to cast HG in a negative light was that she at one time walked onto the set with a couple of handguns held pointing backwards under her arms. And apparently that upset some people because those guns could have been pointing at others on set without them knowing that - and that sounded to be what they thought was quite unsafe. ...yet there are those here on this discussion thread that seem to think there is no documented requirement or protocol or any sort of formal rule that indicates that anyone should be concerned about where an actor may point a weapon while on set. ...because (I guess) rules & best practices about guns just get thrown out the window when you're an actor/actress who has multiple underlings they can cast blame upon if they chose to ignore responsibilities that any other normal human would ascribe to.
Who do you blame?
The unqualified losers who were lucky to have a job working below normal wages or the people who put them in such powerful life and death positions?

Last edited:
At least executive producers will still make money off this film.
Funny how that works.

'Rust' Tragedy Raises Questions on Indie Producers' Lack of Experience - Variety

BBM
..Emily Salveson, 36, also got into the business relatively recently with support from her father, an attorney experienced in tax credit financing. Salveson has made extensive use of Section 181, a provision of the tax code that allows wealthy people to write off their investments in low-budget films.

The tax code provision allows investors to deduct their investment in a film project, up to $15 million, at the time the money is spent.

When combined with state tax incentives such as the 25%-35% credit awarded in New Mexico investors can recoup most of their money before the film is even distributed.

In public appearances, Salveson has sometimes appeared to take credit for originating the use of Section 181 financing.

“When I created this financial model, I thought is there a way to make it so that the profits of the film are not what defines whether the investor makes money or not?” she said at the time. “With 181, it doesn’t matter whether the film is fully completed. The investor still gets their benefit on day one.”

I wonder why Halyna Hutchins stayed on a set that was so dangerous? She had a child and husband in Los Angeles. Her husband graduated from Harvard and works for a law firm, so it doesn't seem to be financial stress.

Halyna Hutchins's widowed husband pictured collecting his wife's things | Daily Mail Online

About. — Halyna Hutchins
I think she was relatively new at her job, gaining experience for her resume. Jmo

Halyna Hutchins Stayed on Rust Set After Walkout Because She Felt a 'Responsibility' for Everyone Else's Job

Halyna Hutchins, the cinematographer who died in an accidental shooting on the New Mexico set of the forthcoming film Rust, remained on location after a walkout prior to the incident because she "felt the responsibility for everyone else's job there," according to Jonathan McAbee, an actor who knew Hutchins and has spoken to people on the film's set.

"She put her heart and soul into everything she did, and even after losing her whole crew — who walked off in protest — she stayed because she felt the responsibility for everyone else's job there," he continued. "If she left, production's over and that's what? Another 30 people's jobs, livelihoods?"

Who do you blame?
The unqualified losers who were lucky to have an job working below normal wages or the people who put them in such powerful life and death positions?
I think there is a lot of blame to go around here and I am frustrated by anyone who wants to either completely absolve any one individual or place the blame squarely at the feet of any one individual.
Also, I am not sure which parties YOU seem to think are "unqualified losers" but I didn't think I stated or inferred that anyone involved in that film production fit that description.

At least executive producers will still make money off this film.
Funny how that works.

'Rust' Tragedy Raises Questions on Indie Producers' Lack of Experience - Variety

BBM
..Emily Salveson, 36, also got into the business relatively recently with support from her father, an attorney experienced in tax credit financing. Salveson has made extensive use of Section 181, a provision of the tax code that allows wealthy people to write off their investments in low-budget films.

The tax code provision allows investors to deduct their investment in a film project, up to $15 million, at the time the money is spent.

When combined with state tax incentives such as the 25%-35% credit awarded in New Mexico investors can recoup most of their money before the film is even distributed.

In public appearances, Salveson has sometimes appeared to take credit for originating the use of Section 181 financing.

“When I created this financial model, I thought is there a way to make it so that the profits of the film are not what defines whether the investor makes money or not?” she said at the time. “With 181, it doesn’t matter whether the film is fully completed. The investor still gets their benefit on day one.”
I want to like this post- but I feel like a puke emoji is more appropriate.

I think there is a lot of blame to go around here and I am frustrated by anyone who wants to either completely absolve any one individual or place the blame squarely at the feet of any one individual.
Also, I am not sure which parties YOU seem to think are "unqualified losers" but I didn't think I stated or inferred that anyone involved in that film production fit that description.
I'm using language to point out how they have been portrayed.
I've noticed this in many true crime forums, working class people are judged very differently than wealthy people.
A doctor who kills all her children by slow strangulation with zips ties has pages of sympathtic discussion on her struggles without a nanny and possible post natal depression but a poor woman who's boyfriend kills her child while she is at work has pages of comments that she is as responsible as the killer, maybe more.
And I agree, many are responsible.
Some more capable of changing the free wheeling culture on set than others.

I wonder why Halyna Hutchins stayed on a set that was so dangerous? She had a child and husband in Los Angeles. Her husband graduated from Harvard and works for a law firm, so it doesn't seem to be financial stress.

Halyna Hutchins's widowed husband pictured collecting his wife's things | Daily Mail Online

About. — Halyna Hutchins
I'm not sure if it's just my sympathy for the victim or if my response on this is mainly from an article I read recently try that painted her in this light but, I feel like she was someone that took pride in her job & had a strong loyalty for her coworkers (as was evident from reports that she was advocating for their safety), yet who also felt a sense of loyalty to completing the film and doing her best to make it the best quality of work that she could help produce. So rather than walking out with the rest of the crew that left, she felt compelled to stay and try to do the best she could. I've never met her and have known nothing about her prior to this but I am saddened at the thought that the callousness & disregard for general safety protocols from so many others around her whose safety & well-being she was seemingly trying to ensure, very well may have been what resulted in her death.

It hasn't been verified that there was target practice going on. Sheriff only heard it from the media rumors (so nobody said anything to the deputies).

I couldn’t wrong but I don’t think the sheriff said they “only” heard it from media rumors and no-one told deputies that story, and I wouldn’t expect that kind of confirmation of a negative at this stage either (or perhaps at all).

What he said is that they were aware of the rumors.

I'm using language to point out how they have been portrayed.
I've noticed this in many true crime forums, working class people are judged very differently than wealthy people.
A doctor who kills all her children by slow strangulation with zips ties has pages of sympathtic discussion on her struggles without a nanny and possible post natal depression but a poor woman who's boyfriend kills her child while she is at work has pages of comments that she is as responsible as the killer, maybe more.
And I agree, many are responsible.
Some more capable of changing the free wheeling culture on set than others.
I completely understand. To say that these sentiments & behaviors are frustrating is an understatement seems less than adequate.

I couldn’t wrong but I don’t think the sheriff said they “only” heard it from media rumors and no-one told deputies that story, and I wouldn’t expect that kind of confirmation of a negative at this stage either (or perhaps at all).

What he said is that they were aware of the rumors.
He is asking people who know anything about this to contact the sheriff.

In a statement issued through her attorney, Jason Bowles, Ms Gutierrez-Reed said she was "devastated and completely beside herself over the events that transpired".

(...)

The statement continued: "Safety is Hannah's number one priority on set. Ultimately this set would never have been compromised if live ammo were not introduced. Hannah has no idea where the live rounds came from.

"Hannah and the prop master gained control over the guns and she never witnessed anyone shoot live rounds with these guns and nor would she permit that.

"They were locked up every night and at lunch and there's no way a single one of them was unaccounted for or being shot by crew members.

"Hannah still, to this day, has never had an accidental discharge."

More at link

Alec Baldwin shooting: Rust movie set armourer says her role in death of cinematographer 'falsely portrayed'

The statement also asserted that Gutierrez-Reed has never experienced an accidental discharge during a film shoot, but identified two such incidents, one she said was the fault of the prop master, and another caused by a stunt actor after “being informed his gun was hot with blanks.”

Gutierrez-Reed, the statement continued, also attributed any difficulties with her job as armorer to the production itself:. “Hannah was hired on two positions for this film, which made it extremely difficult to focus on her job as an armorer.” Gutierrez-Reed also asserts that she “fought” for gun safety and maintenance training and for “proper time to prepare for gunfire,” requests that were “overruled by production and her department.”

(Snip)

'Rust' Armorer Breaks Her Silence, Blames Producers for 'Unsafe' Set

‘Rust Update': Armorer and Assistant Director Hire Top Local Defense Attorneys
Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, the production’s armorer, has hired Albuquerque-based Jason Bowles, a former Assistant U.S. Attorney, TheWrap has confirmed. And Deadline reported Thursday that First Assistant Director David Halls has lined up former prosecutor Lisa Torraco, also based in Albuquerque.
‘Rust Update': Armorer and Assistant Director Hire Top Local Defense Attorneys
They have hired good lawyers but not in the league of lawyers representing the production company behind “Rust”

Jenner & Block | Our Firm

Founded in 1914, Jenner & Block is a law firm of international reach with more than 500 lawyers in six offices, including Chicago, London, Los Angeles, New York, San Francisco, and Washington, DC. Our firm has been widely recognized for producing outstanding results in corporate transactions and securing significant litigation victories from the trial level through the United States Supreme Court. Companies and individuals around the world trust Jenner & Block with their most sensitive and consequential matters. Our clients range from the top ranks of the Fortune 500, large privately held corporations and financial services institutions to emerging companies, family-run businesses and individuals.

We have earned our reputation as a litigation powerhouse. The 400 lawyers in our nationally recognized litigation department have won impressive victories in complex and challenging cases in a broad range of substantive areas of law and across a wide variety of industries, before federal, state and administrative courts and in arbitrations. We have achieved landmark rulings on behalf of clients in matters before the United States Supreme Court — our appellate advocates have presented 21 oral arguments to the Court in the last 10 terms, and we also have an extensive amicus practice.

Jenner & Block lawyers rise above the rest both in terms of their qualifications and their approach to practicing law. Several Jenner & Block lawyers currently serve as federal judges, building on a remarkable history of judicial service by member of the firm. One former partner served as the United States solicitor general.

We recruit our lawyers from top-tier law schools and prominent clerkships, and foster their growth and development with training, mentoring and casework. We foster creativity in the practice of law, while also holding our lawyers to a rigorous set of performance standards. Our culture combines entrepreneurism with an atmosphere of collegiality and teamwork.

The Jenner & Block Difference

We have members of the bars of every United States Court of Appeals and members of the state bars throughout the country.
Among our trial lawyers are 11 Fellows of the American College of Trial Lawyers, nine former US Supreme Court clerks, many former US courts of appeals clerks, numerous state appellate court clerks, a former US attorney, a former acting solicitor general of the United States, the former associate attorney general of the United States, and 10 former assistant US attorneys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammiwinks