Alec Baldwin fired prop gun, killing 1 on movie set, Oct 2021 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is he going for the insanity plea? What is the deal with these drawings?! It’s so bizarre and has no place in this tragic situation.

It's hard to believe the inhumanity and ignorance demonstrated by those drawings and putting them on the Internet.

It sounds to me, if AB and HB are telling the truth, that AB feels like HE is the one suffering, and maybe HB is no longer being as compassionate to him. All her public utterances have been protective of him, but the drawing seems to indicate that he feels she's letting him die. Or not, who can figure this out?

But IMO what seems indisputable is that when you have shot a colleague to death, inadvertently but it still happened, how can you be so insensitive as to depict YOURSELF as lying dead on the floor?
That was Halyna in reality, not Alec, and I don't think he has the right to usurp her tragedy and portray himself as the dying victim on the floor.

If I were Halyna's husband or son, seeing that would outrage me beyond belief.

This is sort of a new and developing area of the law. It will be interesting to see how this case is handled. Legally, I don't think there is any question that she will be able to keep the case in court.

The slander count alone is hefty. He put it out there for his 2M followers. That opens up the gate for retaliation upon her.

It's hard to believe the inhumanity and ignorance demonstrated by those drawings and putting them on the Internet.

It sounds to me, if AB and HB are telling the truth, that AB feels like HE is the one suffering, and maybe HB is no longer being as compassionate to him. All her public utterances have been protective of him, but the drawing seems to indicate that he feels she's letting him die. Or not, who can figure this out?

But IMO what seems indisputable is that when you have shot a colleague to death, inadvertently but it still happened, how can you be so insensitive as to depict YOURSELF as lying dead on the floor?
That was Halyna in reality, not Alec, and I don't think he has the right to usurp her tragedy and portray himself as the dying victim on the floor.

If I were Halyna's husband or son, seeing that would outrage me beyond belief.

Yes, to mention death and then draw the death out on paper is cruel. It’s actually dark.

The slander count alone is hefty. He put it out there for his 2M followers. That opens up the gate for retaliation upon her.

That is exactly what I think. AFAIK, lawful demonstration is still allowed in the United States. If she did not participate in unlawful entry to a government building, there is no reason for the outrage or inappropriate response.

That is exactly what I think. AFAIK, lawful demonstration is still allowed in the United States. If she did not participate in unlawful entry to a government building, there is no reason for the outrage or inappropriate response.

Alec feels entitled to publicize his personal responses. This entire set of events involving AB has made me think a lot about why anyone would actually follow the instructions/biddings/implied instructions of someone like AB - but the past few years have made it clear that having a large social media following is more important than being an expert.

And my opinion is that Alec really has no concept of how people think out in the broader world (say, in New Mexico or, especially, Wyoming). I don't have to tell you that, Mickey. You know that if this case goes before a Wyoming jury, they aren't going to be amused by his celebrity shenanigans. At some point, people have to stop using SM to rile people up. So many reasons why it's wrong.

Alec feels entitled to publicize his personal responses. This entire set of events involving AB has made me think a lot about why anyone would actually follow the instructions/biddings/implied instructions of someone like AB - but the past few years have made it clear that having a large social media following is more important than being an expert.

And my opinion is that Alec really has no concept of how people think out in the broader world (say, in New Mexico or, especially, Wyoming). I don't have to tell you that, Mickey. You know that if this case goes before a Wyoming jury, they aren't going to be amused by his celebrity shenanigans. At some point, people have to stop using SM to rile people up. So many reasons why it's wrong.

Im inclined to think he and Hilaria are addicted to SM in a non healthy way. Many are, myself included but not for self promotion or amassing followers. It’s not a right or wrong dynamic it’s a matter of mental health. The younger generations have suffered terribly from the pressure of it all.

Exactly. I see this as a tipping point. It would be scary if we become subjected to celebrities accusing us of nefarious actions on SM without proof. Their resources are unlimited in defending themselves versus the general population.

Alec Baldwin and associates sued by a script survivor over 'Rust' shooting ask judge to dismiss the lawsuit

See motion to dismiss lawsuit - DocumentCloud

However, attorneys for the defendants disputed Mitchell's case for suing their clients for monetary damages in California.

Because her allegations are related to a workplace accident, attorneys claimed in the filing that Mitchell should pursue a legal remedy under worker's compensation law in New Mexico, where the Western was being filmed, not in civil court in California.

"Despite no apparent physical injury, plaintiff raced to the courthouse in California, without providing the notice in New Mexico required for a worker's compensation claim, apparently to get her claim in front of any potential claims by the two individuals who were hit by the live round," the defendants' lawyers said in the filing. "It is difficult to ascertain from her allegations what injury she could actually have suffered, but what is clear is that she should not be permitted to assert any such claim in this Court."

Last edited:
More info at the link:

Alec Baldwin and other 'Rust' producers call on California judge to throw out lawsuit | Daily Mail Online

"Lawyers for Alec Baldwin have appealed to have the second lawsuit brought against the actor over the fatal shooting of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins thrown out.

Representatives said nothing in the allegations brought by script supervisor Mamie Mitchell suggested that anyone knew that the prop contained live ammunition leading up to the 'unprecedented' incident.

Mitchell's complaint includes claims of assault, intentional infliction of emotional distress, allegedly Baldwin 'chose to play Russian Roulette with a loaded gun without checking it.'

But in documents submitted to an LA court, Baldwin's lawyers hit back at claims saying nothing in the plaintiff's allegations suggested 'that any of the defendants intended the prop gun to be loaded with live ammunition."

Alec Baldwin and associates sued by a script survivor over 'Rust' shooting ask judge to dismiss the lawsuit

See motion to dismiss lawsuit - DocumentCloud

However, attorneys for the defendants disputed Mitchell's case for suing their clients for monetary damages in California.

Because her allegations are related to a workplace accident, attorneys claimed in the filing that Mitchell should pursue a legal remedy under worker's compensation law in New Mexico, where the Western was being filmed, not in civil court in California.

"Despite no apparent physical injury, plaintiff raced to the courthouse in California, without providing the notice in New Mexico required for a worker's compensation claim, apparently to get her claim in front of any potential claims by the two individuals who were hit by the live round," the defendants' lawyers said in the filing. "It is difficult to ascertain from her allegations what injury she could actually have suffered, but what is clear is that she should not be permitted to assert any such claim in this Court."
It is a pretty good argument. I'd like to look at the complaint when i have more time.

Movie Co. & NM Workers' Comp Ins?
I've not thought about Workers Compensation and how it may or may not apply w a movie co. shooting on-set (no pun intended) at location remote from the production co's home base.
From a quick glance at NM W-Comp agency's website,* seems W- Comp laws apply to businesses employing 3 or more workers. Most def > 3 in Rust.
Haven't looked at statutes or reg's, but I wonder how a movie (or TV/entertainment) co. could comply w W-Comp law req'mts in NM, when on-location filming is done in a short period, like this one w projected ~25 day span at the Bonanza Creek Ranch.

Any fellow Sleuthers familiar w logistics of obtaining W-Comp insurance for this type of enterprise?
"All businesses that employ three or more workers are required to have coverage. This is also true for employers who have just one employee in New Mexico and two or more employees in another state. The total of three employees in the company triggers the workers' compensation insurance requirement, no matter the location. For purposes of determining three or more, any person who does the work of the business entity may be considered an employee. This includes owners if they work in the business, as well as family members, part-time, temporary and seasonal workers. Employees in non-profit, charitable and religious organizations also fall under the coverage requirements." bbm
^ Determining Insurance Coverage | New Mexico Workers Compensation Administration.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member