Alec Baldwin fired prop gun, killing 1 on movie set, Oct 2021 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this will be out of the news cycle soon, unless criminal charges are filed. Then another week.

Apparently the Baldwins planned to keep out of the public eye on a secluded property. For 3 days now, they have mostly stopped putting more fuel on the fire by staying in the house in the beautiful Vermont woods.

I think this will be out of the news cycle soon, unless criminal charges are filed. Then another week.

Apparently the Baldwins planned to keep out of the public eye on a secluded property. For 3 days now, they have mostly stopped putting more fuel on the fire by staying in the house in the beautiful Vermont woods.

This was posted previously here, although I don’t fully understand the tax incentives involved (bbm):

“In public appearances, Salveson has sometimes appeared to take credit for originating the use of Section 181 financing. In 2017, she appeared on a panel at Cannes with Kessler as the moderator.

“When I created this financial model, I thought is there a way to make it so that the profits of the film are not what defines whether the investor makes money or not?” she said at the time. “With 181, it doesn’t matter whether the film is fully completed. The investor still gets their benefit on day one.”

'Rust' Tragedy Raises Questions on Indie Producers' Lack of Experience - Variety

I’m not sure exactly how it works, but there were state and federal tax incentives involved, according to the article. That may be why they didn’t purchase completion insurance—the investors’ money was relatively safe.

It has occurred to me that Alec may be one of those investors.

Hmm, someone must have received the memo to stop talking to anyone. Hunker down. Stay home and Be quiet. That is the best plan during an ongoing investigation that could result in potential criminal charges.

Halyna was something special, and anybody who knew her knew that. Her whole career was ready to be a rocket ship. Her work, it’s just plain good. It was kind of inspiring. She had this nerdy approach to everything, and she loved lenses and she loved all this creative stuff. When I met Halyna and [her husband] Matt and [son] Andros, their apartment had a ton of board games in it. It looked like they loved to play board games and that was just adorable. They were just an adorable family.

This adorable family is now broken because of a total disregard for safety on the set of "Rust". What makes this tragedy so shameful is that it was easily preventable. A wife and mother is gone forever, never able to play board games with her loved ones again.

Alec Baldwin Rust Movie Shooting: Crew Member Interview on Safety – The Hollywood Reporter

“Another purported "Rust" set incident, not caught on camera, involved someone handing Gutierrez Reed a revolver as she was sitting on the ground "playing on her phone," the source said. She allegedly tucked it into her waistband without looking up.

"Stuff like that just seemed unprofessional and it does not create an atmosphere of safety or professionalism," the source said. "When you find out she says her training came from her father, you think, ‘Oh she’s a hire because of her connections.’"

Alec Baldwin ‘Rust’ shooting: ‘Immature’ gun handling alarmed cast and crew, sources allege

“Another purported "Rust" set incident, not caught on camera, involved someone handing Gutierrez Reed a revolver as she was sitting on the ground "playing on her phone," the source said. She allegedly tucked it into her waistband without looking up.

"Stuff like that just seemed unprofessional and it does not create an atmosphere of safety or professionalism," the source said. "When you find out she says her training came from her father, you think, ‘Oh she’s a hire because of her connections.’"

Alec Baldwin ‘Rust’ shooting: ‘Immature’ gun handling alarmed cast and crew, sources allege

Also from your link :eek::eek::eek:

One image taken behind the scenes on the halted film’s set, shown to Fox News Digital, shows 24-year-old armorer Hannah Gutierrez Reed and two other women standing in a circle with a pair of Old West rifles and a revolver.

One long gun’s barrel is resting against the belly of one of the woman across from Gutierrez Reed as she uses her cellphone. The butt of the other is propped against her hip, barrel in the dirt. A third woman is holding the revolver by the end of the grip, with a tangle of wires in the same hand, barrel pointed down.

Also from your link :eek::eek::eek:

One image taken behind the scenes on the halted film’s set, shown to Fox News Digital, shows 24-year-old armorer Hannah Gutierrez Reed and two other women standing in a circle with a pair of Old West rifles and a revolver.

One long gun’s barrel is resting against the belly of one of the woman across from Gutierrez Reed as she uses her cellphone. The butt of the other is propped against her hip, barrel in the dirt. A third woman is holding the revolver by the end of the grip, with a tangle of wires in the same hand, barrel pointed down.

Thanks for including that!

Well, this was inevitable, IMO.

Here we have two extremely egotistical men (IMO) who take great joy in gloating over the other's downfall. Surely these men can take their money and talents and try to make the world a better place, going forward.

If anything good could come out of this horror, IMO it would be if AB is humbled by this tragedy and seeks out some kind of philanthropic endeavor in the future. Maybe start or contribute to a charity for children who have lost a parent to gun violence. Very few lose a parent to a movie set, but rather on the streets.

Much of the crew was from NM and likely many of them are gun owners with that caliber ammo on hand..”

.45 ACP maybe, but not .45 Long Colt. Its a bullet only suitable for antique weapons and replica, quite niche. If you browse the local gun stores, they don't hold that much of this particular kind of bullet.

Just looking at Calibers inventory, all they have are snap caps and hollow points with nickel, not brass, cartridges. No one is going to mix those up.

Gun shops nearby (nearby Santa Fe); there's nothing.

If members of the crew have open carry, then that would have been part of the property eized by the police. And there is nothing like that on the search warrant that has been posted around. No Glocks, Hipowers, Sigs etc.

.45 ACP maybe, but not .45 Long Colt. Its a bullet only suitable for antique weapons and replica, quite niche. If you browse the local gun stores, they don't hold that much of this particular kind of bullet.

Just looking at Calibers inventory, all they have are snap caps and hollow points with nickel, not brass, cartridges. No one is going to mix those up.

Gun shops nearby (nearby Santa Fe); there's nothing.

If members of the crew have open carry, then that would have been part of the property eized by the police. And there is nothing like that on the search warrant that has been posted around. No Glocks, Hipowers, Sigs etc.
The current availability of .45 LC in local gun stores has no impact on this case in my opinion. The live rounds in this case could have been purchased a long time ago in a far away location.

The armorer on this set was not a local resident. Was she the source of the live ammunition? I think it's possible. JMO.

A few new photos of HG and 2 of her father. Still mentioning the plinking.

49545965-10170979-Alec_Baldwin_was_wielding_a_vintage_Colt_pistol-a-26_1636155420501.jpg

Alec Baldwin was wielding a vintage Colt pistol

“The gun that killed the cinematographer on the set of Alec Baldwin's Rust had been used for target practice by crew members, sources linked to the western film's production said.

Multiple sources connected to the set of Rust told TMZ that the same Colt pistol that went off in Alec Baldwin's hands, killing Halyna Hutchins and injuring director Joel Souza, had been used recreationally by crew members.

The sources claim that some crew members would go off for target practice using real bullets, and some believe a live round from those practice sessions found its way onto the set”

Rookie armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed standing in circle with pair of Old West rifles and a revolver | Daily Mail Online

'Rust' shooting: Alec Baldwin is 'hurting himself in unimaginable ways,' says crisis PR expert

According to crisis and PR expert Eric Schiffer, Baldwin "broke the essential rules of managing a crisis: don't do any further damage."

"He is hurting himself in unimaginable ways, especially when the public right now is wondering why he ever allowed this to happen," Schiffer, chairman of Los Angeles-based firm Reputation Management Consultants, tells Yahoo Entertainment.

"Baldwin is damaging his brand by continuing to defend himself in highly irregular ways that are painfully deluded and right out of the Donald Trump school of media relations," he adds. Schiffer would advise the actor to keep himself "away from the media."

Don't pull over on a busy highway and give an interview that comes across as a traveling circus-like antic during a time that requires maturity and remorse," he adds.

The message Baldwin shared was from Rust costume designer Terese Magpale Davis. In her Facebook post, she blasted crew members who walked off the set over safety and financial concerns as "jerks."

"I'm so sick of this narrative," Davis wrote, which Baldwin shared on Instagram. "I worked on this movie. The story being spun of us being overworked and surrounded by unsafe, chaotic conditions are bulls***."

"That is a form of communication that is confusing because it is unclear why he is reposting it. "Alec Baldwin should either follow the sheriff's request not to speak about the incident until the investigation is complete or make his own statement rather than reposting someone else's."

"The statement he made to the paparazzi [last weekend] indicates that this was a freak accident because he cited to the history of using firearms on set without incident. That statement disregards the flagrant safety violations that led the Halyna's death.

The Blame Game Over Alec Baldwin’s ‘Rust’ Shooting Is Getting Very Ugly

upload_2021-11-6_2-33-47.png
Rust Cast & Crew

AN EXPERT EXPLAINS ABOUT GUNS ON SET

Veteran armorer Mike Tristano, who has worked on more than 100 films including The Purge, previously broke down to The Daily Beast the proper protocols that are in place to ensure an accident doesn’t happen on set, explaining how to tell the difference between rounds.

“A live round is very different-looking from a blank,” he said. “A blank has no bullet head at all, it’s a crimped casing. It’s just a casing that’s been crimped to contain gunpowder. When it’s fired, the casing expands, letting out the powder which creates the flash at the end of the gun barrel and in the case of a Western period, gun smoke.”

“Dummy rounds look like real bullets with several exceptions. The back of the dummy has a primer on it that’s been punched. In other words, that signifies there is no live primer in the gun. Also, if you shake a dummy, which we do all the time, you’ll [hear] BBs in it, which designates that there’s no powder in the dummy.”

Tristano said it’s standard practice to only load the firearms right before a scene, even showing everyone the rounds he’s using. “I show everybody the dummies, so they can see that they are dummies, the primers are punched, and I’ll shake each individual round,” he explained.

“Then I load the dummies into the gun, and I’ll close the loading gate. I will take the gun and, pointing at the ground, I will click off each chamber and that cylinder so that the hammer hits the back of each dummy round, further illustrating that it’s safe. This is standard. We do it because we over-safety everything— it’s a foolproof system. So obviously, none of that was done.”

Last edited:
A few new photos of HG and 2 of her father. Still mentioning the plinking.

49545965-10170979-Alec_Baldwin_was_wielding_a_vintage_Colt_pistol-a-26_1636155420501.jpg

Alec Baldwin was wielding a vintage Colt pistol

“The gun that killed the cinematographer on the set of Alec Baldwin's Rust had been used for target practice by crew members, sources linked to the western film's production said.

Multiple sources connected to the set of Rust told TMZ that the same Colt pistol that went off in Alec Baldwin's hands, killing Halyna Hutchins and injuring director Joel Souza, had been used recreationally by crew members.

The sources claim that some crew members would go off for target practice using real bullets, and some believe a live round from those practice sessions found its way onto the set”

Rookie armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed standing in circle with pair of Old West rifles and a revolver | Daily Mail Online

Not saying this is wrong, but if the prop guns were used recreationally, who cleaned them and replaced them in the locked storage after the shooting sessions?

Experienced armorers know one needs to be very careful to verify dummies. The armorer quoted in this article also seems to indicate that is normal to inspect the gun in front of the AD. You'd have to unload the gun to make sure it's loaded with dummies, just spinning he cylinder is not enough. I am actually surprised this type of thing doesn't happen more often (accidental shootings) on the movie sets, considering dummies are designed to resemble real ammo. The dummies on Rust did have holes in their sides per AD Halls. So presumably each one should have been inspected by an armorer for having a hole on its side. HGR's lawyer seem to claim that if the ammo was in the box labeled "dummy" they all should have been dummies. Never mind that it's an armorer's job to make sure of that instead of just relying on box label.

"On his sets, he said, he has a thorough routine for checking a weapon before it's used for a scene or rehearsal. First, he checks the barrel with a flashlight to make sure it’s clear of obstructions. Next, he makes sure the gun is unloaded. Then he would have six dummies, which he’d already checked multiple times before bringing them to the set, and re-check them one at a time in front of the first assistant director, who gives each one a second inspection before they are loaded into the weapon one at a time."
‘Rust’ shooting: Dummy rounds in Alec Baldwin’s gun would’ve looked real but felt different, expert says | Fox News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper