CA Alison Chao, 15-year-old girl Missing in San Gabriel Valley Last seen 7/16/24

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm just seeing this on my local news.

"Annie Chao says her daughter is a straight-A student entering her junior year at Mark Keppel High School and has no history of running away. She has made no contact with friends, and there’s been no activity on social media, Chao said."

Alison is a bright student, and she doesn't seem to me to be "adventurous" or flighty. She looks very sweet.
There's another pic of her riding her bike in a lane.
Very worried for this girl......it's been 3 nights.
Hoping for an explanation that she is safe. Have they checked hospitals?

"Annie Chao says her daughter is a straight-A student entering her junior year at Mark Keppel High School and has no history of running away. She has made no contact with friends, and there’s been no activity on social media, Chao said."

Alison is a bright student, and she doesn't seem to me to be "adventurous" or flighty. She looks very sweet.

15 and entering junior year- grade 11- that's a year ahead, right? (I think 15 soon to turn 16 would be entering grade 10?) MKHigh School is ranked 147th in California and is #1 in the district, 50% of students take an AP course.... 10/10 on GreatSchools.... (I don't put too much on rankings but it definitely sounds like academics are valued.) That area is well-known for very academically driven children/families and have tutors/after school programs to support children in their endeavors, lots of dance & music programs as well.

Her backpack looking full as @slowpoke mentioned ... to me is a sign of her making contact with someone by her own volition perhaps.

It's SO hot in summer in the SGV, carrying a backpack on a bike ride has got to be warm. If just visiting her aunt, why carry so much?

No sign of bike or backpack recovered - right? - so I'm still very hopeful she isn't hurt or taken.

Last edited:
15 and entering junior year- grade 11- that's a year ahead, right? (I think 15 soon to turn 16 would be entering grade 10?) I haven't looked up the high school but I know that area is well known for very academically driven children and tutors/after school programs to support children in their endeavors, lots of dance & music programs as well.

Her backpack looking full as @slowpoke mentioned ... to me is a sign of her making contact with someone by her own volition.

It's SO hot in summer in the SGV, carrying a backpack on a bike ride has got to be warm. If just visiting her aunt, why carry so much?

No sign of bike or backpack recovered - right? - so I'm still very hopeful she isn't hurt or taken.
I'm not surprised she may be going into grade 11. My daughter's former HS here is also full of high achievers, many of whom are Asian too. They often skip a grade in middle school, due to extra tutoring, Kumon etc.
As for the backpack, didn't she stay overnight at her dad's place? Some teens carry all sorts of stuff, especially during an overnight.

Where is her bike ?? If not found discarded within the 3 or 4 miles, that may be a good sign?
Has the dad spoken? What was her mood when with him? Anything unusual?

Such a good point.. are there cameras at main intersections out there?

There's a also a website set up by family,

Mom says her own sisters are helping- and we've seen grandma. Haven't heard of bio dad's location or if he's in the picture. I hope this isn't related to custody issues.
I don't usually see those kinds of custody issues with 15 year olds. Teens can reach out to the other parents and can also set up visits, unlike younger kids.

I think it's more likely that she may have stopped to see a friend or acquaintance...but I hope not. It's been too long.

"Allison Jillian Chao was last seen on surveillance video on the evening of July 16 riding a blue GT mountain bike from her father’s house in the 200 block of North Ynez Avenue bound for her aunt’s house in San Gabriel, less than four miles away."

BBM

So it was her father's house that Alison left from. She was heading to her aunt's house.

Do we know where Alison's mother lives, or where Alison usually lives?

I don't usually see those kinds of custody issues with 15 year olds. Teens can reach out to the other parents and can also set up visits, unlike younger kids.
I am actually a parent to same age child in California and am dealing with family court re: physical custody. So. Yeah. It happens. They can reach out to the estranged parent, but ultimately the judge decides and if you have an estranged parent who insists on 50/50 custody at all costs, despite the child's wishes, it is a stressful, damaging, and very contentious situation.

I doubt that is what is happening here to Alison.

I also hope that she is hiding out somehow with a friend or something.... but we just don't know enough about the family dynamics....

The home on N Ynez is dad's, she left from dad's at 5:32pm on Tuesday heading to Aunt's.
Mom (Annie) saw her last on Monday when she dropped her off at dad's.

Iow, it does appear that Mom and Dad do not live together but we do not yet know where mom lives.

I'm sorry to say this, but I would like to see dad make his appeal... so far we have only heard mom's heartbreaking messages. She sounds so terrified day by day. I know Asian dads (i know mine) may not want to show emotion esp in the public eye but he's nowhere to be found...

Last edited:
15 and entering junior year- grade 11- that's a year ahead, right? (I think 15 soon to turn 16 would be entering grade 10?) MKHigh School is ranked 147th in California and is #1 in the district, 50% of students take an AP course.... 10/10 on GreatSchools.... (I don't put too much on rankings but it definitely sounds like academics are valued.) That area is well-known for very academically driven children/families and have tutors/after school programs to support children in their endeavors, lots of dance & music programs as well.

Her backpack looking full as @slowpoke mentioned ... to me is a sign of her making contact with someone by her own volition perhaps.

My birthday is tomorrow and I would have been 15, turning 16 tomorrow when entering junior year. If her birthday is in July or August, she would be in her typical year.

In some California districts when she started school 10 years ago, the cutoff would have been later, even September.

If Alison was heading towards her aunt's house, she should have turned left onto N Ynez at the end of the alleyway. In the KTLA news video, the Ring camera footage cuts off before we see which way she goes.

Presumably her family and LE know whether she turned in the correct direction.
Just a guess, but since the map on the Help Us Find Alison Chao page has a suggested route, it does start out with going left on N Ynez, so perhaps they did see her head that way.

In the foxla video in the first post of this thread, the mother says something like “we saw her ride her bike down the driveway, turn toward this direction, and then no one’s heard or seen from her again after that point.”

But I don’t know what direction she means by “turn towards this direction” because I don’t know where the mom is during this interview, nor do they show her gesturing (if she was), as they cut to the pic of Alison on the bike as she says that part.

I'm in the SGV.
We are all talking about her at work.
We study faces of the missing in case someone comes in.
You can also ask others (people coming in to your bisiness, friends, family in the area, +others) to check their cameras on Tues 7/16 between 530pm-7pm. Someone has footage of this little girl in a purple shirt riding a blue bike.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1
Back