CA Alison Chao, 15-year-old girl Missing in San Gabriel Valley Last seen 7/16/24

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Sadly it's looking more and more like Alison was either meeting someone nobody knew about, or running away.

Her new route is very concerning.
Or maybe was going to a store. But that far out away from her aunts is concerning. I also wonder if maybe she was being followed and got scared. I was followed in my car once and didn’t drive home directly I drove as far away as I could and called the cops.

Or maybe was going to a store. But that far out away from her aunts is concerning. I also wonder if maybe she was being followed and got scared. I was followed in my car once and didn’t drive home directly I drove as far away as I could and called the cops.
I had similar thoughts. I hope LE is taking note as to whether or not there was a car following her. if they have cctv footage maybe they could also note if she ever looked behind her as she biked? if she increased speed or avoided making any stops? Could a teenage cyclist stay ahead of someone on an electric scooter? I wonder how easily accessible rental bikes and scooters are where she’s been seen?

If she is an experienced biker and knows the area well, it could be possible she knows not to lead anyone bothering her to a place like her aunt’s home.

If she did intentionally leave her phone behind, surely she has the situational awareness to know she could be captured on cctv at any given point or spotter by either LE or someone in the community…which is what gives me pause about the idea of her running away.

I’m hoping with all of my might that she’s hiding, unharmed, and just reluctant to appear given all the attention her disappearance has garnered. What worries me, is that without her phone or someone coming forward to say she’s asked for help, she’s either incapacitated or determined to get away in the company of someone who wouldn’t have a problem staying quiet.

The official website is taking a break from the updates as of Sat 11pm 7/20/24 Pacific time
From Help Us Find Alison Chao

I imagine they have a LOT of info to comb through... and now that they know she was able to ride away from home at least 40-50min, it would be important to make sure further images are at the very least safe to release to the public (I can imagine scenario where she could be in danger if it's publicly shown where she might be...)

At this point I am super hopeful LE and the family have an idea of where she might be, and that she will be found safe.

Hug your loved ones! Goodnight.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240720_235556_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240720_235556_Chrome.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 12

LA Times has an article, written by a staff writer (so not just a republishing of a press release), but it mostly seems to be compiled from other sources.

I had similar thoughts. I hope LE is taking note as to whether or not there was a car following her. if they have cctv footage maybe they could also note if she ever looked behind her as she biked? if she increased speed or avoided making any stops? Could a teenage cyclist stay ahead of someone on an electric scooter? I wonder how easily accessible rental bikes and scooters are where she’s been seen?

If she is an experienced biker and knows the area well, it could be possible she knows not to lead anyone bothering her to a place like her aunt’s home.

If she did intentionally leave her phone behind, surely she has the situational awareness to know she could be captured on cctv at any given point or spotter by either LE or someone in the community…which is what gives me pause about the idea of her running away.

I’m hoping with all of my might that she’s hiding, unharmed, and just reluctant to appear given all the attention her disappearance has garnered. What worries me, is that without her phone or someone coming forward to say she’s asked for help, she’s either incapacitated or determined to get away in the company of someone who wouldn’t have a problem staying quiet.

RBBM

My musings only . . .

She's a straight-A student, which means pressure; getting into a top college, maintaining her GPA, studying for her SATS.

I can understand the need to get away and escape; I'm thinking long bike rides help her cope with said pressure. My BIL does the same thing; he bikes all over the place. It's good therapy, per se.

Did she fight with anyone at home? If so, did she leave her phone behind on purpose?

I keep coming back to the lateness of the day and possibly getting hit--by a motorist, e-bike or whatever. Or just not seeing well in the dusk; if she went North and into the hills, the lengthening shadows from hills, trees, etc., may have caused her to have an accident.

Praying she is found soon.

ETA: I've enclosed a link to Hill Drive and what this street looks like if one goes North. I think this gives an idea to the narrower streets and sharp turns.
Street View · Google Maps

JMVHO.

Last edited:
I'm thinking long bike rides help her cope with said pressure. My BIL does the same thing; he bikes all over the place. It's good therapy, per se.
Rsbm

Although that sounds super lovely and idyllic, this is a kid from LA... and riding a bike through the San Gabriel Valley and then into LA is something I am surprised this kid is doing. Growing up in LA we would load up the truck/car to a destination (the beach, a park, etc.*) to bike ride. Some kids use it as transport but it's not typical (bike lanes are an afterthought.)

* I am by NO means saying she was on her way to the beach. I'm just pointing out the streets in LA and the burbs are not made to safely ride bikes through. I wouldn't let my kids do it.

Last edited:
In every picture I've seen, Alison appears to facing forwards very determinedly as though she knows exactly where she's going. If she was being followed, there's no obvious sign of it.

The latest tracker update shows that after heading north on Collis Ave, Alison turned west onto S Avenue 60 and then headed back south on Lomitas Dr towards Via Marisol. The most notable landmark in that area is Debs Park:

In every picture I've seen, Alison appears to facing forwards very determinedly as though she knows exactly where she's going. If she was being followed, there's no obvious sign of it.

The latest tracker update shows that after heading north on Collis Ave, Alison turned west onto S Avenue 60 and then headed back south on Lomitas Dr towards Via Marisol. The most notable landmark in that area is Debs Park:

Ahhh, great. Thanks!

JMVHO.

Rsbm

Although that sounds super lovely and idyllic, this is a kid from LA... and riding a bike through the San Gabriel Valley and then into LA is something I am surprised this kid is doing. Growing up in LA we would load up the truck/car to a destination (the beach, a park, etc.) to bike ride. Some kids use it as transport but it's not typical (bike lanes are an afterthought.)

True, but maybe driving to the beach from the San Gabriel Valley was too far, and she might have had a curfew.

I don't know how strict her parents are, but she might have been told to visit her Auntie and then come home within a couple of hours. Which, unfortunately, we know she didn't do.

JMVHO.

“It’s been very chaotic,” Annie Chao said. “It sounds crazy but, we don’t have a play-by-play for this kind of stuff. What do you do? As a parent, you’re making flyers, you’re contacting the news […] we were out driving around to anyone that was open […] posting up flyers. We reached out to the community.”

According to a website dedicated to finding her, the last confirmed sighting of Alison was on Main Street in Alhambra soon after she left home Tuesday.

“The more time that goes on, the scarier it gets,” the teen’s mother, Annie Chao, told KTLA on Friday. “I haven’t slept in days, and it’s just every parent’s worst nightmare.”

Now that we know she was seen on Via Marisol, was she then biking Via Marisol to Via Mia, Collis, Huntington Drive and then home or to Auntie's?

I'm hoping she didn't go climbing any hills onto narrow streets from here . . .

As to possible bad interactions with homeless people, most of them seem to be close to the 110. I'm thinking Alison's route didn't come too close to them.

JMVHO.

Last edited:
Rsbm

Although that sounds super lovely and idyllic, this is a kid from LA... and riding a bike through the San Gabriel Valley and then into LA is something I am surprised this kid is doing. Growing up in LA we would load up the truck/car to a destination (the beach, a park, etc.*) to bike ride. Some kids use it as transport but it's not typical (bike lanes are an afterthought.)

* I am by NO means saying she was on her way to the beach. I'm just pointing out the streets in LA and the burbs are not made to safely ride bikes through. I wouldn't let my kids do it.

I agree - our streets in the 'burbs aren't the safest for bikers. Or walkers like myself, either.

We've a bike lane in front of our place, but I'd bet most bikers go to the beach.

JMVHO.

Last edited:
Wow. I don't think I've ever seen such a media and tech savvy immediate response by the family of a missing person. Great work.
One of the first interviews mom did, she said "it's not like we have a play-by-play on how to do this". They just created one and this template should be used for other cases like this. They've done a great job! Now, my fear is they are "pausing the organization of further search parties" because they are overwhelmed with information. Every person and their mother is calling and texting this poor mom with "helpful" tips. It's like trying to take a sip through a fire hose.

I just wish we had an inkling as to where she went. Hope they’re checking her devices to see who she’s been talking to or if she’d searched up a location in her maps app or on a browser recently.
There’s a big regional park (Ernest Debs Park) in the area and a prep school. There’s an path into it from Monterey Road. I couldn’t find a good map with reference to surrounding roads, so here’s a bird sighting one that is decent:

RBBM

My musings only . . .

She's a straight-A student, which means pressure; getting into a top college, maintaining her GPA, studying for her SATS.

I can understand the need to get away and escape; I'm thinking long bike rides help her cope with said pressure. My BIL does the same thing; he bikes all over the place. It's good therapy, per se.

Did she fight with anyone at home? If so, did she leave her phone behind on purpose?

I keep coming back to the lateness of the day and possibly getting hit--by a motorist, e-bike or whatever. Or just not seeing well in the dusk; if she went North and into the hills, the lengthening shadows from hills, trees, etc., may have caused her to have an accident.

Praying she is found soon.

ETA: I've enclosed a link to Hill Drive and what this street looks like if one goes North. I think this gives an idea to the narrower streets and sharp turns.
Street View · Google Maps

JMVHO.
Thinking about the pressure thing and being a straight A student, has it been mentioned if she has any mental health issues? There is a lot of pressure on kids these days.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back