All things swine flu (H1N1)

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I forgot to add...I originally booked my vacation through Orbitz and yesterday I called and actually moved it up! That's why I am leaving tomorrow!

I was worried to death that my Saturday flight would be cancelled! The media has everyone whipped up into a frenzy!

OK, I got my answer.
Just reported on FOX. The little boy (22 months, btw) lives in Mexico City. They were in Brownsville visiting family, child got sick, and they took him to Houston.

Linda, it's one of my favorite places to visit...next to Disney World. Only reason I said something about outside food sources is b/c of the outbreak and it's rapid spread across some parts of Mexico. I do believe it's in lower level economic areas. We're taking our kids next year for my oldest's 16th birthday present. I plan on doing it for all of our children's 16th. Girls always have that special birthday party, ya know, so why not do something like a fun trip for boys...which is what we're doing. I'm a sissy about jet skis, too, but you'll love this! You can see all of the aquatic life underneath. It's breathtaking. I haven't been on a jet ski in 2 years, since my hubby & I wiped out in the ocean and something scraped against my leg. My 15 y/o jumps waves where you can't even see land! He rode a jet ski with my husband from Cape Henlopen DE to Cape May NJ and saw 2 small whales...if you could even consider them small!

Sorry everyone for the O/T...just wanted to share that...

Have fun Linda!

I don't mind telling anyone that I am afraid. We have confirmed cases here in Indiana and two probable here in our town of maybe 12,000(that includes alot of outlying areas) and more maybes everyday now. I have asthma and breathing restrictions anyway so it causes me more fear than maybe some. I ask that all those who pray, do so , for everyone. Prayer is a powerful thing. The more praying the more power behind it. I know that I will be praying not only for my family and all those that I love but for all those here and your families too. GOD bless each of you and those you love.

I'm not usually one to spend much time worrying about these things; however, this strain of flu is scary and warrants being concerned about. The fact that it has mutated into a bug that is carrying so many different strains is what concerns me.

Thank you for that, Dee! Why does it take for somebody to be confirmed in every single state before our govt takes this stuff serious? They need to get the source, make a booster, and provide innoculations. I heard on tv this morning that there's not enough of what they have available to cover everyone. Wasn't there this same problem with not enough vaccines to go around 2 years ago? People were dying b/c that flu strain helped to cause pneumonia. If you ask me, this new particular strain should be taken serious, and vaccines should be administered for free...in order to prevent a larger outbreak. Sure, many people have insurance, but most can't afford their copays...so those people might not even go to the doctors unless they felt they were on their deathbed...literally. With the state of our world's economy, besides Russia which is raking in the dough, I really don't see everyone going right to their doctor as soon as they get sick. IMO they should provide innoculations for free in order to take that burden away from the public, and hence doing their share in helping to prevent a pandemic...which is definitely being predicted.

I absolutely see our Govt taking this seriously. When you talk about boosters and innoculations, are you talking about the flu vaccine or the pnuemonia vaccine? The flu vaccines on hand and in the past are for a specific strain created for that year. Therefore, there are no boosters or innoculations available for the current strain of any type of new variant of the flu. It takes up to six month's to make the typical batch in every given year. So what vaccine and innoculation is the govt supposed to rush out and give out for free?

We have a sow. I wonder if that means we'll have some immunity against this. Maybe I should go out and pet her more often?

I just don't trust the media or the government to be truthful in a situation like this. I also remember when AIDS was just a Gay disease according to the government.

I absolutely see our Govt taking this seriously. When you talk about boosters and innoculations, are you talking about the flu vaccine or the pnuemonia vaccine? The flu vaccines on hand and in the past are for a specific strain created for that year. Therefore, there are no boosters or innoculations available for the current strain of any type of new variant of the flu. It takes up to six month's to make the typical batch in every given year. So what vaccine and innoculation is the govt supposed to rush out and give out for free?

Hi Suzi, I was referring to 2 weeks ago when I said the govt didn't take it as serious as they should have...just like the ice shelf. Time will tell, and in this case, time's going by fast with more cases, so now they're taking it more serious with more confirmed cases being reported. If you go back over my posts in this thread, you'll see the links I provided. A vaccine can actually be made in 30 days, not 6 months as was previously reported by the CDC. 6 months would be referring to a typical flu vaccine made on an annual basis. This would be a booster to that shot, one in which they would need the host or originator to create such a shot. Check out the WHO site and see everything they have on swine flu. When I was speaking of a booster, I'm not referring to the pneumonia vaccine. They actually made that vaccine b/c of the strain of flu causing pneumonia. They can make a booster to work in conjunction with the flu vaccine issued every year. Each year provides newer strains of flu. Each vaccine goes by the most common forms of flu from the previous year(s). This is a strain of Swine Flu that hasn't been seen before. It's comparable to previous years, but not the same...which is the reason for WHO's concern. I'm also not even suggesting the govt rush anything to give for free - I did in fact state that the govt should provide these shots for free so that people who are at risk won't feel pressure to question if they should get it or not. I don't think everyone should just go out and get a shot, etc...only go to the doctor if they get sick. Problem is that alot of people don't have healthcare, or if they do they can't afford their copays...which is why I suggested a free shot. This would help to prevent a pandemic, which is what is being predicted by The World Health Organization, which was formed and supported by The United Nations. If they seem to think there's an area for concern, then it should be noted, imo. I do believe the USA is ahead of much of the world with medical technology, but it comes at a great expense. Healthcare isn't free here like it is in other areas of the world, yet our impoverished tend to go unnoticed and downplayed. For instance, if a homeless person gets infected, can you imagine how fast it could spread? Hope this explains my previous posts better...I'm very knowledgable in this area, seriously. I'm not shouting, only trying to help explain. No, I don't think it should be a panic...but precautions should be taken and serious responsibility should be acted upon by going to a doctor directly if somebody comes down with flulike symptoms...plain and simple. It would be ignorant if somebody unknowingly had this new swine flu and tried to treat it themselves to no avail, only to come in contact or in the near vicinity of many other innocent healthy people...who in turn could contract it and spread it and possibly even die from it b/c they're too poor to afford a doctor or hospital. Some hospitals even turn people away now if they can't provide some form of health insurance. Responsibility in such a case is needed.

My son is 15 months old and a other than a fever I would have to idea how to tell if he develops flu like symptoms. So should we take our non-verbal children to the doctor at the first sign of fever??

wow seems a bit drastic to me.

Suzi - this is further to my post #330.
Found at link:
http://www.who.int/csr/don/2009_04_24/en/index.html
The Swine Influenza A/H1N1 viruses characterized in this outbreak have not been previously detected in pigs or humans. The viruses so far characterized have been sensitive to oseltamivir, but resistant to both amantadine and rimantadine.

For those of you who don't get the seriousness of this, you can't compare the number of regular flu cases annually to this because you are looking at year end totals for the regular flu, and we are not at year end for this strain so it's comparing apples to oranges. This flu's circulation is in its infancy.

To Sassygerl, I hope you have a good time. I sure understand not having been on a decent vacation in 20 years, trips being paid for, etc. I just hope you and Linda7NJ & families or whoever you're taking with you will wear masks on the plane trip to and from and take hand sanitizer to wash up when washing with soap & water is not available. Other than that, have a great time, both of you!
Maybe take a couple of days off when you get back to make sure you & family aren't harboring the virus & thus spreading it.

The UK newlyweds that came back with the flu had been to Cancun, so it is present there. I'm not sure I could go if I were in your shoes. I'd be worried about food preparers, everything sick people might have touched, and being packed on a plane with potential ill people, but then again, I am immunocompromised to begin with thanks to years of smoking, and 2 auto immune diseases.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snoopysnoop
Back