All things swine flu (H1N1)

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Ok found link. http://www.khou.com/topstories/stories/khou090429_jj_texas-swine-flu-death.9fbb71.html

Toddler in Houston is 1st US swine flu fatality.

ATLANTA — The CDC on Wednesday confirmed the nation’s first swine flu death in the current outbreak, a 23-month-old child in Houston, Texas. Houston health officials say that the child was a Mexican national who was brought to Houston for treatment from the South Texas city of Brownsville.

This is really scary since I have a toddler and live in Houston.

OMG Sporky! I would be so paranoid if I lived in Houston, I wouldn't come out of my house or let anyone in!!

Thank you for that, Dee! Why does it take for somebody to be confirmed in every single state before our govt takes this stuff serious? They need to get the source, make a booster, and provide innoculations. I heard on tv this morning that there's not enough of what they have available to cover everyone. Wasn't there this same problem with not enough vaccines to go around 2 years ago? People were dying b/c that flu strain helped to cause pneumonia. If you ask me, this new particular strain should be taken serious, and vaccines should be administered for free...in order to prevent a larger outbreak. Sure, many people have insurance, but most can't afford their copays...so those people might not even go to the doctors unless they felt they were on their deathbed...literally. With the state of our world's economy, besides Russia which is raking in the dough, I really don't see everyone going right to their doctor as soon as they get sick. IMO they should provide innoculations for free in order to take that burden away from the public, and hence doing their share in helping to prevent a pandemic...which is definitely being predicted.

Good morning JG :blowkiss: And some people wonder why we've lost faith in our government.

I thought I heard in my half-asleep fog this morning that the child that died had recently been to Mexico. Did anyone else hear this? TIA.

OMG Sporky! I would be so paranoid if I lived in Houston, I wouldn't come out of my house or let anyone in!!

Yes and I live with my two neices who go to two different daycares. I have sanitazer all over my apartment.

I thought I heard in my half-asleep fog this morning that the child that died had recently been to Mexico. Did anyone else hear this? TIA.

From my news link above.
Houston health officials say that the child was a Mexican national who was brought to Houston for treatment from the South Texas city of Brownsville.

I don't get it - the flu goes around every year and more people are infected than with this and many people die and it isn't as news worthy as this - why is this strain any different????

This one is being taken serious by WHO b/c "most" people don't have daily contact with pigs, which would help to build their immunity to such a flu strain.

The following is taken from a WHO pdf doc:

What about the pandemic risk?
It is likely that most of people, especially those who do not have regular contact with pigs, do not have immunity to swine influenza viruses that can prevent the virus infection. If a swine virus establishes efficient human-to human transmission, it can cause an influenza pandemic. The impact of a pandemic caused by such a virus is difficult to predict: it depends on virulence of the virus, existing immunity among people, cross protection by antibodies acquired from seasonal influenza infection and host factors.

The following link is to WHO's info on Swine Flu:
http://www.who.int/csr/disease/swineflu/en/index.html
There are several sub-links within this that could be followed up on. Pretty interesting, especially considering alot of our public doesn't take these things serious and tend to think it only happens in 3rd world countries. This could be true, of course, b/c immunity is low tolerance in such countries, but when an infected person comes in contact with another person not infected, it's spread airborne besides contact, and grows rapidly. It's a pretty interesting site, very good read, but again I don't think people should react with a panic. I just think it should be taken serious in the fact that you should go directly to the doctor if you get sick or show even minor symptoms...if anything to prevent someone else's illness.

Poco, I've read alot of your posts in the past, trust me, you'll love this site and probably follow it in the future. It has a wealth of information. Hugs to you.

From my news link above.

Thanks, Sporky, I read that...
I'm just curious if the flu was contracted in MX or TX. Looks like they lived in Brownsville, maybe. I'm gonna assume they made a trip to MX recently, until I hear other wise.

Because (and please someone correct me if I'm wrong - there is SO much bad information out there) this is a new virus, that we humans do not have an immunity to, and the people that are dying from it are not the normal group (immunosupressed).

Quite often the flu strains that hit are new viruses or mutant viruses (is that the right word???) and thus far I have only heard of one case of death from this "swine" flu. I still don't get why everyone is freaking.

I don't know that I'd call you a fool exactly, but I do wonder why anyone would ignore a government travel advisory asking people to cancel non-essential visits to Mexico just for a vacation. Travel agencies and airlines are waiving change fees for the foreseeable future, so there would be no loss of money. Just b/c you are going to an area of Mexico where there are no cases doesn't mean that the people on your planes will all be from that area and (especially on your return home) won't have traveled around the country.

I guess I don't understand why a vacation is so important that I would take a risk or have to worry about it. That's not what a vacation is for, in my mind!

I leave tomorrow at 9:30 am for Cancun Mexico.

Where you aware that European countries issued the exact same warnings about travel here to the USA?

I live in NJ...a viral stone's throw from NYC....I'd rather be in Cancun!

It's THE FLU....the problem is there isn't a vaccine for this one. I never get a flu shot anyway. Every year,here in the US,36,000 die from complications of the flu and another 200,000 are hospitalized.

I usually tough out the flu IF I get it...but I filled a script for Tamiflu just in case. I'm not worried and am gonna have a great time.

The child was a Mexican national and was being treated in Texas, they died in the hospital, now people are worried...especially the ones that were in the hospital that the child was at.

Quite often the flu strains that hit are new viruses or mutant viruses (is that the right word???) and thus far I have only heard of one case of death from this "swine" flu. I still don't get why everyone is freaking.

Yep, Poco, viruses and bacteria mutate in order to continue to exist.
For example, MRSA is a staph bacteria that has mutated so that now there is no antibiotic that can wipe it out. SCARY. :eek:
One reason why it's so important to take all antibiotics when prescribed and to not use one RX for another illness.

BTW, many people have died, but only one in the US.

Good morning JG :blowkiss: And some people wonder why we've lost faith in our government.

Do you remember the last time there was a huge RUSH for vaccines for swine flu? 1963...google it.

Because they're worried about this thing taking on shades of the 1918 flu, IMO.

Poco,

I got my son the flu vaccine a couple of months ago and thank goodness he didnt get it when my neice did. But since this strain isn't covered by the flu shot he got I am not really freaking just being extra careful about sanitizing and such..

I think even the most recent 2008/09 flu shot will afford you some protection against this strain - not much, but better than nothing.

And I still don't get it - like Linda said - 36,000 people die annually from the flu - let alone the number that are hospitalized.

Do you remember the last time there was a huge RUSH for vaccines for swine flu? 1963...google it.

This is the exact reason I don't think people should panic...they should just use their heads and think straight. If they get sick, go to the doctor right away, simple as that. If they don't, and they happen to have this particular strain of flu, they could actually help to cause somebody else's illness...maybe even death (depending on the other's immunity). I never ever ever get the flu shot, but if I get sick, I'll go to the doctor right away this time. I live in a town away from pig activity.

Have fun in Cancun. My best friend just got back & had a blast. She went on a jet ski safari...awesome pics! If you've never been, check it out...they jet ski to a snorkelling spot through a jungle atmosphere. The water's so clear that it looks like it's about 3 feet deep, but it's actually around 50 feet! Absolutely amazing pictures, you should look into it. I forget the price, maybe $100 for 3 hours or something. I will suggest this, though...don't eat or drink outside of the resort for now, unless you go with an internationally owned restaurant chain or something. They have a Bubba Gump's there - good food.

That is not correct...money is not the issue, however we would lose thousands (the resort). Now they are advising Europeans to cancel non-essential visits to the US. And here we are. I'm more likely to get it working out at the gym or my boys bringing it home (they go to three different schools). This is the first trip I've gone on alone with my husband in 20 years.....we are going!!!!! (if this thing was only in Mexico NO we would not go)

eta: I am sure most do not follow all the advisories and alerts, but because my husband travels worldwide all the time we do. I can tell you there are warnings out all the time...some I've worried sick about. This one I'm just not...it's the flu.

Obviously it's something each person has to decide on for themselves. I just wasn't going to judge the woman who was concerned about her coworker. I'll admit that yesterday when I was at my daughter's school, I was relieved that she was not grouped with the little girl who went to Mexico for Spring Break. I'm sure it's fine, and there aren't any known cases in GA yet, but it did cross my mind.

As for Europe and the US travel advisory, I think the issue is the TRAVEL itself which is helping to spread the flu. If we could get just some non-essential travel stopped for a short period we could probably stem quite a bit of it; if people who have a fever or are unwell would NOT go to work or the gym or school or the grocery store for just a few days, it would help a LOT! (Or church. Why do sick people go to church and cough all over everyone???)

I'm really surprised that a government travel advisory doesn't qualify you for at least a majority of a refund of your deposit. Something to remember for sure.

I hope that you have a great time and a healthy visit. 20 years is a long time!

I haven't seen anyone freaking out yet. I have seen a lot of discussion here and then have heard some in my community. Both places show to me people that are informed and concerned but not changing their day to day routines.

I wouldn't suggest changing day to day routines. With the exception of being more cautious around others that are ill, by washing hands more often...etc.

I am watching because now I know there is this new strain and it was unexpected and that it might require a doc visit if one of the kids come down with it.

Like I said earlier, my oldest son was hospitalized with a MRSA infection in DEC 2004. I had no idea about MRSA, never heard of it, but I knew immediately that something was very wrong with him and took him to the doctor's immediately. They hadn't seen it here. It took three visits to Doc and he was hospitalized very ill. He was in for five days. He recovered after IV antibiotics.

So I'm glad to know that this is going around. I can keep an informed eye on my children. I'm not panicky, I'm not freaking out, I'm just watchful...just in case.

Thanks to all that are bringing the lastest articles to post so I don't have to go hunting down info myself. Have a great day all!

I leave tomorrow at 9:30 am for Cancun Mexico.

Where you aware that European countries issued the exact same warnings about travel here to the USA?

I live in NJ...a viral stone's throw from NYC....I'd rather be in Cancun!

It's THE FLU....the problem is there isn't a vaccine for this one. I never get a flu shot anyway. Every year,here in the US,36,000 die from complications of the flu and another 200,000 are hospitalized.

I usually tough out the flu IF I get it...but I filled a script for Tamiflu just in case. I'm not worried and am gonna have a great time.

I hope you have a great time!!!

This is the exact reason I don't think people should panic...they should just use their heads and think straight. If they get sick, go to the doctor right away, simple as that. If they don't, and they happen to have this particular strain of flu, they could actually help to cause somebody else's illness...maybe even death (depending on the other's immunity). I never ever ever get the flu shot, but if I get sick, I'll go to the doctor right away this time. I live in a town away from pig activity.

Have fun in Cancun. My best friend just got back & had a blast. She went on a jet ski safari...awesome pics! If you've never been, check it out...they jet ski to a snorkelling spot through a jungle atmosphere. The water's so clear that it looks like it's about 3 feet deep, but it's actually around 50 feet! Absolutely amazing pictures, you should look into it. I forget the price, maybe $100 for 3 hours or something. I will suggest this, though...don't eat or drink outside of the resort for now, unless you go with an internationally owned restaurant chain or something. They have a Bubba Gump's there - good food.

Oh I've been before...many many times and even lived there for 3 months when I was 24! LOVE it there! This will be my 12 year old son's first time. We're doing all kinds of cool stuff. Ruins, snorkeling...My son is most looking forward to swimming with the dolphins & sea lions:)

We won't be doing the jet ski's ...I am a sissy and scared of em. ;)

I will be eating local foods though...it's half the reason I'm going! But our vacation is all inclusive so I expect I won't be eating as much local fare as I would like.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HazardPay
Back