All things swine flu (H1N1)

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
USDA: Please call it H12N1, not 'swine flu'.

Seems that the government now fears that this will have an detrimental effect on pork exports and would like everyone to stop using 'swine flu'. China has already announced a ban on pork from the known states in the U.S. that have reported outbreaks of the flu.

H1N1 just doesn't have much of a ring to it though, does it?
No... I agree with you. It doesn't have the same 'catchiness' to it.

Since the name 'Swine Flu' has already caught on, how about we change the spelling of it? You know, kind of 'fancy' it up a bit?

From now on, it should be spelled 'Swyne', makes it seem a little prettier...
I bet this new spelling might ease the disgust of those people who are offended by the flu's connotations with pigs.

I'm joking, of course. I hope one day very soon to be able to call it: "You know, that flu... what was it called again? The one that scared everyone for about a week, then disappeared, forever".

Yes they did and it makes me furious. Here is the link to WFTV where they actually have a copy of the doctor's email.

http://www.wftv.com/news/19311020/detail.html

I think Mexico delayed reporting their cases because of their tourist industry and it escalated and is being spread all over the world. Now Florida is trying to protect their tourist industry, but at what cost? I have a vacation planned in Florida in June and certainly don't want them to let this get out of hand. They may save some tourist dollars now but lose more in the long run.

I've been following this closely. I was supposed to go to Mexico next month. We've cancelled and today I see that our Airlines has cancelled all flights to Mexico anyways.

I really wasn't concerned at first because of where we were going but then I thought what about the people I come back with on the plane. Who knows where they had been. I mean it's the worst feeling in the world on any day when you board an aircraft and someone is hacking next to you!

Today, there's an article front page of our paper today about a 26 yr old who got sick on his last day of his vacation and of course boarded the plane. I can imagine how the other passengers felt on that flight!:eek:

On the plane home the next day, “I was freezing cold. I was wrapped in two blankets and flight attendants gave me hot chocolate and hot water bottles.”

http://www.vancouversun.com/Health/...ed+after+contracting+swine/1539608/story.html

Same here. We are supposed to be spending 3 weeks in central florida this July.

Regarding the use of Hand Sanitizers and Children...

Please use caution when using hand sanitizers on children's hands, etc., as these sanitizers are usually almost completely made up of alcohol. Children's skin, like adult skin, is actually the body's largest organ, and is extremely absorbant.

There have been cases in the news lately, of children becoming extremely ill, and even a case about a month ago, of a little boy dying, from alcohol poisoning due to the over-use of gel-based, high alcohol content hand sanitizers.

Let's just use extreme caution in every regard, when it comes to our little ones.

I can certainly understand the desire not to cause alarm; however, people need to be kept ACCURATELY informed.

Flippant? Good gosh, let's hope it's not that bad!!! Next fall should tell the real tale.

Today I heard that about 5 have now been hospitalized with H1N1. Oh my gosh, people will start calling it the hiney flu. I don't care what they call it, some Muslim populations will deny having it if they get it due to the association with pigs.

Regarding the use of Hand Sanitizers and Children...

Please use caution when using hand sanitizers on children's hands, etc., as these sanitizers are usually almost completely made up of alcohol. Children's skin, like adult skin, is actually the body's largest organ, and is extremely absorbant.

There have been cases in the news lately, of children becoming extremely ill, and even a case about a month ago, of a little boy dying, from alcohol poisoning due to the over-use of gel-based, high alcohol content hand sanitizers.

Let's just use extreme caution in every regard, when it comes to our little ones.

Yeppers- this is one reason why I don't like them.

Flippant? Good gosh, let's hope it's not that bad!!! Next fall should tell the real tale.

According to this link:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/04/28/flu.computer.modeling/index.html

Supposedly, it is that bad, and is here to stay. I don't necessarily buy into the media hype that has been going on for the last few days, though.

I haven't trusted anyone in our government since Bush lied us into war with Iraq in 2003. That's the problem when your government lies to you about one thing.

Some people (like me) tend to discount everything else they hear from that point forward. I do think this is a problem, but it seems to be one that the government is using to advance their own agenda at this point and the media (as usual) is falling in line to create more panic than is necessary.

Again, I'm not even sure I believe the story that's being advanced in the link I include above, but I do know that our government seems to be taking advantage of the fear factor in this situation.

Regular flu has killed thousands in 2009

An outbreak of swine flu that is suspected in more than 150 deaths in Mexico and has sickened dozens in the U.S. and elsewhere has grabbed the attention of a nervous public and medical officials worried the strain will continue to spread. But even if there are swine-flu deaths outside Mexico, the virus would have a long way to go to match the 36,000 seasonal flu deaths in the U.S. each year. full story from Cnn.com

According to this link:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/04/28/flu.computer.modeling/index.html

Supposedly, it is that bad, and is here to stay. I don't necessarily buy into the media hype that has been going on for the last few days, though.

I haven't trusted anyone in our government since Bush lied us into war with Iraq in 2003. That's the problem when your government lies to you about one thing.

Some people (like me) tend to discount everything else they hear from that point forward. I do think this is a problem, but it seems to be one that the government is using to advance their own agenda at this point and the media (as usual) is falling in line to create more panic than is necessary.

Again, I'm not even sure I believe the story that's being advanced in the link I include above, but I do know that our government seems to be taking advantage of the fear factor in this situation.

IMO, it's the media that's taking advantage of the situation. I feel alot of the govt response and press conference on Sunday was due to the media freaking everyone out over the weekend. The govt needed to reassure the public that yeah, we are aware and on top of it. Last night Larry King got a CNN reporter to admit that even the regular flu kills 36000 and a quarter of a million or more worldwide a year.

Thankd god it's seems today's media reporting has backed off the panic inducing stories and sticking to the facts.

I live in Orlando. Although I'm concerned about the possible cases here, there is another situation that I'm alarmed about. My assistant has a part-time job in the evenings at a clothing store to earn extra money. One of her co-workers at the store is going to Mexico on vacation this weekend. My assistant and everyone else in the store are begging her not to go. They fear that she might become infected and pass it on to them when she returns to work next week. My assistant is so concerned that she is considering quitting the part time job. She only has it for extra spending money because she likes to dress well and she also gets free clothes from the job. I'm not encouraging her one way or the other, but at the same time I'm hoping she does quit because if she gets it, then I'll probably catch it from her as we use the same phone and are together in a small office all day.

I sure do wish they would close the borders until this gets under control. I know that people save up for their vacations and look forward to them, but I think anyone going to Mexico right now is an absolute fool and they are putting themselves and everyone else in their lives at risk.

I'm in the absolute fool group as you would like to call it :) I'm leaving next week. What in the world would closing the borders do now? Good grief have you heard how many are sick alone in New York? There are more cases here in my state than where I'm going..in fact there are no cases where I'm going...taking a direct flight and am taking all precautions. Funny thing, you mention so many asking that gal not to go. I've heard quite the opposite....people are telling me to go! I realize fools are more likely to get it, but I'm really just the average Joe ;) I'd rather go to Mexico (NOT Mexico City) than NY at this point. Schools are closed within 60 miles of me...it's all over.

L.A. County coroner's office doubts 2 men died of swine flu

1:59 PM | April 28, 2009
The Los Angeles County coroner's office said today that further testing indicated neither of two flu-related deaths being investigated in Los Angeles County appeared to be linked to the swine flu.
Coroner's officials this morning said they suspected the deaths in Long Beach and La Mirada might be tied to the swine flu. But officials said the Long Beach man was not suspected of having the swine flu and that preliminary lab tests indicated the death of a La Mirada man was "not related to swine flu."
More tests are being done, officials said.

I live in Orlando. Although I'm concerned about the possible cases here, there is another situation that I'm alarmed about. My assistant has a part-time job in the evenings at a clothing store to earn extra money. One of her co-workers at the store is going to Mexico on vacation this weekend. My assistant and everyone else in the store are begging her not to go. They fear that she might become infected and pass it on to them when she returns to work next week. My assistant is so concerned that she is considering quitting the part time job. She only has it for extra spending money because she likes to dress well and she also gets free clothes from the job. I'm not encouraging her one way or the other, but at the same time I'm hoping she does quit because if she gets it, then I'll probably catch it from her as we use the same phone and are together in a small office all day.

I sure do wish they would close the borders until this gets under control. I know that people save up for their vacations and look forward to them, but I think anyone going to Mexico right now is an absolute fool and they are putting themselves and everyone else in their lives at risk.

I'm confused as to why you getting the flu, hinges on whether your assitant has or doesn't have a 2nd job?

ETA: ahhh nevermind. I misread that your assistant was going to Mexico.

L.A. County coroner's office doubts 2 men died of swine flu

1:59 PM | April 28, 2009
The Los Angeles County coroner's office said today that further testing indicated neither of two flu-related deaths being investigated in Los Angeles County appeared to be linked to the swine flu.
Coroner's officials this morning said they suspected the deaths in Long Beach and La Mirada might be tied to the swine flu. But officials said the Long Beach man was not suspected of having the swine flu and that preliminary lab tests indicated the death of a La Mirada man was "not related to swine flu."
More tests are being done, officials said.

This is promising for sure. I'm still so curious as to why in Mexico City the death rate is what it is. I can only assume no treatment or bad treatment. I sure hope this flu here continues to be just another typical flu (not to downplay that one in any way..it's a killer too!).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kat1970
Back