All things swine flu (H1N1)

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
A friend at our school had the same thing Sunday. She said that her DD8 had a 103+ fever, totally lethargic, and upset stomach. The children's hospital here told her not to come unless she was gravely ill. :eek:

They went to the doctor and it is strep, but she says her DD has had strep before and it has never been this bad. The doc says strep is rampant right now in our area, which can bring the high fever and nausea like the flu.

Apparently there is also a stomach bug going around 1st grade but the school hasn't mentioned a word about it. I wonder if they are still testing people. How would we know if we had a case?

There is a case just south of Atlanta in Henry County at a private school, so it is close.

My DD is supposed to receive First Communion Saturday. I keep envisioning the whole thing getting canceled. UGH!

I'm sorry about your friend's daughter. I hope she is better soon. I'm not surprised about them being told not to come to the er unless gravely ill. One of the two nurses I spoke with (from my children's doctor office) told me she wouldn't take him to the er "under any circumstance". As far as testing, she said that would be determined by the doctor (if he needed to be seen). However, I got the feeling that they only randomly test severe cases.

Edit: Personally, I would rather possible cases be tested as soon as possible. Mild or severe. The anti-viral should be taken within 24-48 hours...what if a mild or moderate case turns severe...on day three or four?! I'm not a doctor, but as a mother, it worries me greatly.

:( My son awoke this morning with 103 fever and is pretty out of it at the moment. We have an appointment for 4:45 today. As with most reports of medical issues in media I was cautious but not panicked. Now I'm panicked.

Anyway, we're in Illinois, haven't seen much in way of numbers (only three) but I did see some media outlets reporting that only those who had been in Mexico within the last week or who had contact with someone who had traveled to Mexico would be tested for this strain of Influenza A. This in attempt to conserve resources:

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7015010459

I'll come back with an update on my son when we return from his physician's office. He's my sick child and usually ends up in hospital once a year for a day or two. I hope this isn't another one of those times.

Just wondering how your son is? Also, Mr. E, is your child still sick? :blowkiss:

My daughter is still sick, but the doctor didn't sound overly concerned about swine flu. He gave her some meds for her ear infection ("Oh, that's awful" is what he said when he looked at her ear) and some cough medicine for her cough. Told us to keep giving her Tylenol/Motrin for fever. When she feels better, she can go back to school, he said. Not contagious.

She still feeling rotten today, but hopefully after a day of meds she feel better.

She's 17--she hasn't had an ear infection since she was tiny!

My daughter is still sick, but the doctor didn't sound overly concerned about swine flu. He gave her some meds for her ear infection ("Oh, that's awful" is what he said when he looked at her ear) and some cough medicine for her cough. Told us to keep giving her Tylenol/Motrin for fever. When she feels better, she can go back to school, he said. Not contagious.

She still feeling rotten today, but hopefully after a day of meds she feel better.

She's 17--she hasn't had an ear infection since she was tiny!

I hope she feels better soon. Ear infections are no fun no matter how old you are.

But I'm curious about why they didn't test her. Did she specifically not have a symptom they are looking for or have a symptom that somehow rules out flu? B/c it seems like a lot of stuff is going around and the doctors aren't testing for it. So how do they know there aren't more cases if they aren't doing the tests?

Mostly I'm worried about the stomach bug at our school. Some of those kids have reportedly had a high fever, but I haven't heard of one being tested for flu. Why not? And whether it is a normal stomach bug or flu, I don't want it!!!

I don't know why they didn't test. I told him how one of Mr. Mr. E's students is being sequestered while they wait for the results of a swine flu test. All of the cases of swine flu in SC are connected to one school. The student who was tested from my hometown had visited that school.

But, like I said, the doc didn't seem concerned.

Teen E is just days from graduation. She keeps saying she needs to go to school. Then she crawls into bed and sleeps for hours, shivering under a pile of blankets. Poor kid...I hope she feels better soon. It is so hard when your kids are sick.

I would keep going to doctors till someone tested me. This is scary stuff.

Teen E is fine now. Whatever it was, it ran it's course. About two days after beginning antibiotics she was starting to feel better, and now she's good as gold.

Thank you for asking, Shamrock! I spent five days inpatient with my son. He didn't have swine flu (or any flu) but is recovering from a kidney infection. He was in pretty bad shape and is still on the mend. Not 100% yet, but getting a little better everyday.

Thank you for asking, Shamrock! I spent five days inpatient with my son. He didn't have swine flu (or any flu) but is recovering from a kidney infection. He was in pretty bad shape and is still on the mend. Not 100% yet, but getting a little better everyday.

:( I had a kidney infection when I was young. It's terrible! Hope he feels better soon.

New York City has closed three schools in response to a swine flu outbreak that has left one staff member in critical condition and sent hundreds of kids home with flu symptoms, in a flareup of the deadly virus that sent shockwaves through the world last month.

A Health Department spokeswoman tells The Associated Press that four students and the staff member have tested positive for swine flu at a middle school in Queens. At another middle school in Queens, 241 students were absent on Thursday. Dozens more were sick at an elementary school.

http://cbs3.com/topstories/nyc.h1n1.outbreak.2.1010072.html

They shut down tons of schools here but found that it just kept spreading and opened them back up. I guess people in my area are no longer as concerned; it's not making our nightly news at all and hasn't in a few days.

http://www.khou.com/topstories/stories/khou090515_mh_travis-elementary.65eb30f.html

Two cases of swine flu confirmed at Travis Elementary; 390 out sick

HOUSTON -- At least two of the hundreds of Travis Elementary students out sick this week have swine flu, according to an HISD spokesperson.

11 News

Travis Elementary School
Kathy Barton, spokeswoman for the city of Houston’s health department, said five other students tested positive for Influenza A, a common form of the flu.

more at link

One of the schools in my district (where I work) is closed today! There have been confirmed cases of swine flu. My school is open :\

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/ny-linew2012786975may19,0,6890343.story

There are 13 new swine flu diagnoses in Nassau, the county health department announced late Tuesday night, bringing to 36 the county's total number of confirmed cases.

Because eight of the people newly diagnosed attend Valley Stream's Memorial Junior High, the school will be closed Wednesday and Thursday - and because of the Memorial Day holiday, won't reopen until Tuesday, a district official said Tuesday night.

"That is the plan now," said Lawrence Trogel of the Valley Stream Central High School District, which includes the shuttered junior high.

more at link

Oh my. I can't imagine the terror that those parents feel nor the guilt that the respiratory therapist must be feeling. Hopefully the fact that she felt fine when coming in to work means that she didn't contract the virus.

My precious boy was in the NICU for 7 weeks after he was born earlier this year. I know well the terror that a parent feels even under "normal" circumstances. I just cannot imagine how these people are feeling. I'll be praying extra hard that this is just a scare and that all involved will have a happy outcome.

Oh no, those poor babies. I hope none of them are affected. They should really have resperatory therapists that strictly deal with the NICU babies and noone else. These babies are so fragile. I had a NICU baby almost 4 years ago and it was absolutely terrifying. The littlest thing can go wrong. These parents must be out of their minds with worry.

It's still kicking around in GA...

http://www.ajc.com/services/content...lu_cleveland.html?cxtype=rss&cxsvc=7&cxcat=13

At least 45 of 160 staff members of a North Georgia summer camp have either the flu or flu-like symptoms, forcing camp leaders to cancel the first four-week session.

The arrival of 400 campers had been delayed at Camp Coleman in Cleveland, after a handful of staff initially fell ill.

<snip>

Earlier this week, six counselors sought medical care for influenza-like symptoms, although none was hospitalized, Palmer said. The rapid tests were positive for Influenza A.

and there's more!

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/stories/2009/06/14/sick_scouts_swine_flu.html

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/me...s/2009/05/15/alpharetta_school_swine_flu.html

http://www.ajc.com/services/content/printedition/2009/06/19/flucamp0619.html

Hmmm...we opted out of camp this year due to $$$ and a super busy schedule. I'm feeling much less guilty now!

I work in a NICU and we have had a number of swine + mothers deliver and their babies are isolated in NICU but the mothers cannot visit due to the concern for the other babies in the unit. It's an awful situation and I hope the end of this pandemic is near!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back